R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

08-05-2022, 09:34 PM   #1
pesh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 Black M4 Convertible

Garage List
'15 M4 Convertible Damaged Oil Pan, Plug or Both?

I have a 2015 M4 Convertible that is long out of warranty and maintenance. I have been taking it to a European Motorwerks in Austin, TX for the past several years for regular maintenance (oil changes, brake fluid flush, etc.). In general it has been fine and the prices are far more reasonable than the dealership.

A little history... during my last oil change a about a year ago, I noticed a very minor oil leak after an oil change. I took the car back to the service center and the said it looks like I need a new Drain Plug. They tightened the old plug and it stopped leaking.

Fast-forward to today... I took the car in for routine oil change and brake fluid flush. The brake service was fine but apparently when they went to do the oil change problems arose. The old drain plug was removed and oil drained. However, when the new plug was put in, it seems that oil was just coming out and a good seal could not be achieved. When I went to pick the car, I was told a new oil pan would be required and i was looking at $3000 in parts & labor. Apparently, the oil pan threading is stripped and has to be replaced?

You can imagine my dismay...

I certainly feel like the shop should own this as they are the only ones, other than the dealer, who has changed the oil in my car and it would seem that they've done something wrong. One of the co-owners said they'd be willing to split this with me... I could either pay for parts and they labor or vice-versa.

I've scoured the forum looking to see if anyone else has had drain pan / plug issues that I could learn from.

For now, i've ordered a new pan, gasket, and a titanium plug from Turner Motor Sports, but it sure would be nice if there was a less than $1500 solution to this problem.

I welcome any guidance, insights, and/or tips on this...

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 07:19 AM   #2
IVM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I can't remember the name of the product, but there is a way to rethread to a larger oil drain bolt. However, I think that this is just a temporary fix and it's probably worth just upgrading to a new pan, unless you only own to keep your car for a couple more years. When I bought my car used, my drain plug had already been rethreaded and it was slightly leaking. Luckily the oil pan was replaced, and I didn't have to pay for it. It seems to threads on diesel oil pan drains are quite delicate, and I remember reading a number of other folks having issues too.
Appreciate 1
pesh119.50
      08-06-2022, 12:19 PM   #3
JAI///M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2018 F80  [0.00]
Helicoil and timesert are 2 popular thread repair methods but to do it right it would be best to take the oil pan off the car. At that point, you might as well just replace the oil pan unless you really wanted to save the co$t of a new pan.
Appreciate 0