R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-21-2020, 11:48 AM   #23
trickcruiser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Had a pretty good week with the car!

On Wed we were able to get on a local Mustang dyno to start dialing this thing in. I know this is not the ideal thing for world breaking numbers, but it is about as good as it gets for actual tuning. I will follow up and travel a bit to hit a dynojet later.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Working with Cary Jordan on the tune, we picked up pretty impressive gains over the stock turbos! Now I did not get a baseline on my car here (due to the spun hub), but I do have a decent delta to work against. My friends 18 dct comp that is FBO e85 also tuned by Cary on the same dyno went 499/512. Once we were done for the day, my car put down 618/619 on this Mustang. This puts us up 119whp and 111tq over his car with stock turbos!!! Using ricer math and adding say 18% (to also account for the SAE to STD conversion) we are at my goals of 729/730!

The car is getting strong! We also had to pull the plug on tuning as the IAT's are getting too high. I am not sure if it is an intercooler issue with the bigger turbos or if I just need to bleed the system again (already bled this thing a dozen times but can't seem to get IAT's down).

The other news here is that running 32 tapering to 30 and the turbos are happy! Once I get the IAT figured out, we are going to bump things up to around 35lbs to see how these things do!!!

On Friday I was able to get a few good runs with a 6266 335is 6spd car. He recently made 670 on map 5. From 60-130ish I had a good car on him!
      10-13-2020, 12:42 PM   #24
trickcruiser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

10/9/20 Update:

Finally made it to the local 1/4mile strip on Friday evening for test and tune. Good news was the weather was really good for this time of year. Bad news, everyone it the are area knew it and it was packed...

View post on imgur.com

First pass I had 1st gear set at 40% power, 2nd at 50%, and 3rd+ 100%. Used launch control at the default setting. Is there a way to pre set this or do you always have to adjust on the fly? It would be nice to not have to worry about this moving forward.

10.8 at 136.2mph with a poor 1.9 60'
This shows a gain of 6mph over the stock turbos!
View post on imgur.com

I was able to make one more pass almost 3 hours later (just too many ppl). Knowing this would be my last pass I bumped everything way to far and just blew the tires off but still trapped 136. :drinking:
      02-09-2024, 02:33 PM   #25
Rob@RB
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘08 335i ‘17 Corvette Z06

Old thread here! These are some great results, appreciate the sharing!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 10:51 AM   #26
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RB View Post
Old thread here! These are some great results, appreciate the sharing!
Agree! OP, how's the car been holding up?

Also, I've read that going built engine tends to induce false knock. Were you able to completely fix the false knock just by eliminating that interference with the hpfp? Or did you still have any residual false knock after fixing that knock sensor interference that needed some adjustment to knock settings in the tune to completely eliminate it?

Last edited by wheela; 02-10-2024 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 12:12 AM   #27
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
Agree! OP, how's the car been holding up?

Also, I've read that going built engine tends to induce false knock. Were you able to completely fix the false knock just by eliminating that interference with the hpfp? Or did you still have any residual false knock after fixing that knock sensor interference that needed some adjustment to knock settings in the tune to completely eliminate it?
Going with a Ghassan built engine tends to induce real knock
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | DS2 + Lift Kit | Nostrum S2 Injectors | TI E5LM | Torqbyte EKP | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 08:24 AM   #28
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eidos View Post
Going with a Ghassan built engine tends to induce real knock
Yeah, lol, I've read some real horror stories, unfortunately... Hopefully OP had better luck with his build.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 11:37 AM   #29
Rob@RB
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘08 335i ‘17 Corvette Z06

I just reached out to OP, sounds like all is well with the entire setup to date; but will let him chime in about the knock questions on the forged build.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 10:52 PM   #30
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RB View Post
I just reached out to OP, sounds like all is well with the entire setup to date; but will let him chime in about the knock questions on the forged build.
That's great news, thanks for following up! Interested to see if he has any more information about my knock question.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 08:29 AM   #31
trickcruiser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
That's great news, thanks for following up! Interested to see if he has any more information about my knock question.
Rob, thanks for reaching out!
The car has performed extremely well and I just added B58 coils.
I have a “funny” story regarding the plugs/coils that I will share when I get a moment.

Testing the coils I was able to get a 60-130 test pull on the local test track. Since opening my new shop my Draggy has gone missing… Once I dig that thing out, I will get a more official result. But judging by this, it appears to be in the 5’s.

wheela,
Yes, once I fixed the interference with the knock sensors and the HPFP my issues were resolved.
Appreciate 0