Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-12-2023, 04:18 PM   #1
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Single Turbo Tuners

I am going to be installing the 4N EFR 8474 kit over the winter and am looking for a tuner to get me running. Curious from those that are running ST setups who tuned it for you and are you happy?

I see Bend gets high praises here but he wants to maintain dual bank control with the sensors in the exhaust manifold pre turbo. In talking to Mike at 4N he started building the kit like that initially but was burning through o2 sensors at a rapid pace so moved them to the downpipe. Bend is not interested in tuning unless the 02 sensors are positioned in the manifold. This is for a track build, not high way pulls so will see sustained higher EGR's. I will be running strictly pump gas.

Currently have BM3 which I know can run single bank but open to moving to other tuning software.

Would appreciate some feedback on other ST s55's experiences.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 08:55 PM   #2
Hotflare
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 YMB M3 Comp

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_w. View Post
I am going to be installing the 4N EFR 8474 kit over the winter and am looking for a tuner to get me running. Curious from those that are running ST setups who tuned it for you and are you happy?

I see Bend gets high praises here but he wants to maintain dual bank control with the sensors in the exhaust manifold pre turbo. In talking to Mike at 4N he started building the kit like that initially but was burning through o2 sensors at a rapid pace so moved them to the downpipe. Bend is not interested in tuning unless the 02 sensors are positioned in the manifold. This is for a track build, not high way pulls so will see sustained higher EGR's. I will be running strictly pump gas.

Currently have BM3 which I know can run single bank but open to moving to other tuning software.

chetrickerman
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11490.00
      10-14-2023, 06:02 AM   #3
Idfkman
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Avtandil at AB Performance has tuned quite a few of these on BM3. I’m running their Flex Fuel EU5 tune and it’s been great thus far.
https://instagram.com/abperformance....RlODBiNWFlZA==

I also spoke with Mike at 4N and he said the same regarding burning through O2’s. I recall him mentioning Ecutek may have some compatibility issues with single bank and that BM3 and MHD support that type of setup more natively. Don’t quote me but I believe it was something to that affect. Mike’s cars are tuned by Wedge on MHD if that helps.

I’m planning to purchase his EFR kit as well and install over the winter. I’ll likely stick with ABP for my tune.

Keep us posted with what you land on!
      10-16-2023, 03:25 PM   #4
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep

is there any more to deleting the MAF's, extra o2 sensors and extra wastegate actuator than disconnecting them, tucking them out of the way and coding them out?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 04:34 PM   #5
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
is there any more to deleting the MAF's, extra o2 sensors and extra wastegate actuator than disconnecting them, tucking them out of the way and coding them out?
The tune needs to be adjusted, disabling the codes that pop up from disconnecting those things.
      10-16-2023, 08:24 PM   #6
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetrickerman View Post
The tune needs to be adjusted, disabling the codes that pop up from disconnecting those things.
I see from your build thread you put the o2 sensors in the manifold pre turbo. Any issues burning sensors up? Do track your car?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 08:51 PM   #7
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
I see from your build thread you put the o2 sensors in the manifold pre turbo. Any issues burning sensors up? Do track your car?
No issues on mine, but I also use the heat sink bungs. Running this way for 2.5+ years on the same O2 sensors. I also use an external wideband in the downpipe hooked up to the CAN bus so I can see the actual AFR. I have not taken my car to the track yet. I want to, but with tuning and family, I don't have any extra time.
      10-17-2023, 08:45 AM   #8
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep

in exchanging some emails with Ecutek it sounds like the s55 is not supported for single bank tuning and needs to maintain o2's in the manifold.

It seems that most of the single turbo s55's are running on MHD or BM3.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 08:48 AM   #9
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetrickerman View Post
No issues on mine, but I also use the heat sink bungs. Running this way for 2.5+ years on the same O2 sensors. I also use an external wideband in the downpipe hooked up to the CAN bus so I can see the actual AFR. I have not taken my car to the track yet. I want to, but with tuning and family, I don't have any extra time.
Appreciate the feedback. Curious what would happen to the o2's on your setup with sustained heat in a track environment. As noted above 4N originally was building kits like that and moved them after killing them in short order.

Anyone on the forum tracking a single turbo with o2's in the manifold on any tuning platform?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 11:59 AM   #10
Schemxr
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

ABPerformance.co, tell them Surajf82 on IG recommended you. He will get you right.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 02:48 PM   #11
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schemxr View Post
ABPerformance.co, tell them Surajf82 on IG recommended you. He will get you right.
on their web site on the about us page if you click on the email it populates in my out look as a jordan tuned email....weird.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 06:12 PM   #12
Schemxr
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
on their web site on the about us page if you click on the email it populates in my out look as a jordan tuned email....weird.
dm them on instagram @abperformance.co, their email is info@abperformance.co
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 07:03 PM   #13
summernightruns
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
check it out
https://www.jordan-tuned.com/shop/s5...ermarket-turbo
Appreciate 0