BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

01-09-2017, 04:29 PM   #1
DreamSlider ///M
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 AB 6MT M3 ZCP (Sabine)

M School vs other HPDE

For those of those of you that have done the 2 day M performance driving school AND other weeklong high performance race courses (Bondurant, Skip Barber, etc), is there any reason to do the 2 day M school?

It's been fifteen years (a long time, I know), but I've been to both of the two I previously mentioned for a week each and don't want to waste my money if M doesn't offer anything past that (which I can't imagine it does)... if there is something M specific (like an M car's abilities to shoot rainbows out of the exhaust while cornering at 1.5g if I just do X, Y and Z or something, you know, real, but unique to our cars), the cost isn't prohibitive for me, I just don't want to spend time there if I can spend better time at a non-branded general race program.

Thanks for anybody's thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 09:11 PM   #2
Pic18
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 Comp, Spec E46

I really enjoyed both M school and advanced M school, but I do not think you are going to get anything more/new out of it than you got at Bondurant/Skip Barber.

That said the instructors are great as are the drills/track time. If you have been to schools before the advanced is probably more your speed but not sure if they will allow you to go with out regular M first. Long story short if you are looking for some practice with good feed back, and no wear and tear on your own car, it is worth it. If you know what you are doing and just want some track time a HPDE might be a bette route.
Appreciate 3
      01-10-2017, 05:50 AM   #3
DreamSlider ///M
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 AB 6MT M3 ZCP (Sabine)

Thank you for your thoughts. Kind of what I imagined, but nice to get confirmation.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #4
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Some instructors say that the M school is a bonafide advertisement for the cars. If you do the other driving schools, it would be similar, just in M cars. I don't regret any of the M schools I have been to.

You may want to consider private lessons with the M instructors, may be a better value than a school where you'll be with a bunch of people that think they're awesome drivers (or some that won't push the vehicles)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 02:36 PM   #5
MrSmileyDC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Garage List
2016 BMW F82  [0.00]
One benefit to m school is you don't have to use your own car.

ED 8/18 - PCD 10/19 | 2016 F82 M4 6MT | Alpine White | CF Roof | CF Trim | Black Extended Leather | Executive Package | Lighting Package | Adaptive M Suspension | 19" 437M Black Wheels
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 07:58 PM   #6
72M4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine White M4

Advanced M

I've been to several "M" designated schools including the Advanced School at VIR. It all depends on how much wear and tear you want to put on your personal car. I've tracked several Corvettes in previous years and I can tell you that track time is the cheapest component of HPDE's. For me...it is much cheaper to beat the crap out of their cars and drive home in my M4 clean, crisp and undamaged (brakes etc.).

It is one of those pay me now or pay me later. For me...I would rather spend the money up front and run their cars hard and put them away smoking...
Appreciate 1
F80RN898.50
      02-05-2017, 05:12 AM   #7
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
IMO, it all depends how much tracking you want to do and the type of experience you are after.

If you plan on tracking more regularly, HPDE is the way to go.

If you only seeking a one tim track experience, then the ///M school can be interresting alernative. It also provides a more "high-end" experience with a nicer setting, better dining, plaaned out logisics and no physical/mechanical work involved. You also get to experience different vehicles. But it remains much more expensive than an HPDE even considering vehicle wear and tear. A beginner student will not push the car enough to wear anything down significantly at his first HPDE and an experienced track driver will likely find the ///M school rather boring (even the advanced one).

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 08:24 AM   #8
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

M school is the best advertisement for M cars BMW could dream up. And it is quite fun.

Two years ago I was considering moving into an F10 M5, and I decided that before I plunk down for it, an M school to really drive the car and see how I like it would be the best possible test drive. After driving the F10 and F80 back to back, and then getting the chance to park them next to each other and examine seat room, creature comforts, and overall experience... I went home and ordered an F80 with no regrets. So, ironically I'd say M school cost me a $1k and cost BMW $20k.
      02-06-2017, 10:48 AM   #9
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGuyDC View Post
One benefit to m school is you don't have to use your own car.
That could also be viewed as a limitation.
Personally, I really enjoy learning the limits of my car, with all of it's peculiarities and upgrades.

Cost aside, the other key difference is that a local DE is likely to be something you can drive to / from in a matter of hours. Getting to Grier NC for an M-school is a fly-away event for most of us.

If you are interested, consider going as part of the heavily discounted ($735) BMW CCA National Capital Chapter's event:
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...capital-390013

a
Appreciate 1
Polo088161610.00
      09-08-2022, 02:34 PM   #10
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

I got the package with my CS that included M School so me and a couple of folks took the trip to Spartanburg.

Is it a cool experience? Yeah but very limited actual learning. You go through all the steps pretty quickly. If you track your car, you won't be impressed but you'll have a good time. I had a lot of fun on the skid pad because I just kept holding the drifts. They compress a lot of techniques/experiences in one weekend so there's some compromise.

A track day will cost less, you'll learn more and you won't feel as rushed but at M School, you get to abuse their cars so that's fun.

In retrospect, knowing what the experience is like, would I do it again? Yes, but I wouldn't pay money to do it. It's not really marketed to trackheads.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 08:26 AM   #11
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

The schedule and videos I've seen of it and other brand schools all seem very oriented to the 'my first track day' crowd. Especially those who are nervous about bringing their precious car to a track. Not that its a bad start. Its just expensive for what you get vs club track days that typically provide an instructor as well. Depends on your experience and risk tolerance I guess. If I were to sign up for a school it would be one that ended in a wheel to wheel competition liscence.
Appreciate 2
      09-09-2022, 09:39 AM   #12
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theruleslawyer View Post
The schedule and videos I've seen of it and other brand schools all seem very oriented to the 'my first track day' crowd. Especially those who are nervous about bringing their precious car to a track. Not that its a bad start.
Pretty much nailed it.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 07:15 PM   #13
melanthius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I feel like if I went to a BMW driving experience thing I will just end up overheating the oem brakes, could be fun to hear what kind of BS they come up with when I complain about it.

Unless … do they actually throw upgraded pads and fluid in those cars? Hmm
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 12:40 PM   #14
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanthius View Post
I feel like if I went to a BMW driving experience thing I will just end up overheating the oem brakes, could be fun to hear what kind of BS they come up with when I complain about it.

Unless … do they actually throw upgraded pads and fluid in those cars? Hmm
They don't give you enough time to push and when I was there we were using M5s on the road course with carbon brakes.

The F8xs were left for the skidpad.

Autocross course was M2s.
Appreciate 0