Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

08-13-2022, 05:36 PM   #89
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummpwr View Post
I'm going to VIR with NASA, this August 19,20,21st

Anyone with a F8x going?

I currently have a 2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Planning on selling it at the end of the year and getting a F8x

If love to see one in person on track and discuss how it does.

Eric
I'm sure there will be F8x's at the event. We're everywhere.

Curious why are you thinking of switching? The 1LE is not handsome but it's a beastly track car. I love my f80 but I've always wanted a car with a V8 (my dad's chevy caprice wagon doesn't count). Grass is always greener?
Appreciate 2
NYG10690.50
      08-14-2022, 07:07 AM   #90
Ummpwr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS 1Le

I love my SS 1LE, I truly think it's the most capable track / street car for the money when you consider reliability, performance and comfort.

The only reason I'm selling it is my wife and i autox a lot and eventually she might do track days with me.

She really is not comfortable with driving the Camaro due to it's size, visibility restrictions and manual gearbox. She can drive stick shift good enough to autox and drive on the street but not confidently enough for a track.

I want a car that we can drive 2hrs, autox competitively and drive home, drive around town on the weekends. Also track 6 times a year with similar lap times to the SS 1LE. I've always had manual track cars but would like to try a dual clutch. So I thought the m4 fits the bill. Also my Budget is 40-50k, and it needs to have some trunk & backseat storage.

I've considered the gulia quad. But not very confident in it's track reliability
Appreciate 2
      08-15-2022, 10:33 AM   #91
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:
I love my SS 1LE, I truly think it's the most capable track / street car for the money when you consider reliability, performance and comfort.

The only reason I'm selling it is my wife and i autox a lot and eventually she might do track days with me.

She really is not comfortable with driving the Camaro due to it's size, visibility restrictions and manual gearbox. She can drive stick shift good enough to autox and drive on the street but not confidently enough for a track.

I want a car that we can drive 2hrs, autox competitively and drive home, drive around town on the weekends. Also track 6 times a year with similar lap times to the SS 1LE. I've always had manual track cars but would like to try a dual clutch. So I thought the m4 fits the bill. Also my Budget is 40-50k, and it needs to have some trunk & backseat storage.

I've considered the gulia quad. But not very confident in it's track reliability
I think you'll regret selling the 1le in a few years. NA v8s aren't long for this world. In any case I think shifting during autox is a lot more challenging than on a track. The inputs are just so much quicker and choppy.

The other thing to consider is that everything on the f8x is going to cost more.

Id really try and get the wife out before you make decisions. A day with an instructor in novice might go a long way with her being less intimidated by the 1le.
Appreciate 2
      08-15-2022, 12:11 PM   #92
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:

LT = bulletproof
Chassis = ridiculous
Suspension = as good as it gets for a non-race suspension

You're really going to miss it. I think for the $, the Camaro SS1LE by far the best track car you can get.
Appreciate 2
      08-15-2022, 12:46 PM   #93
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Track reliability? I'm not confident in its ability to be a daily driver.
Appreciate 3
      08-15-2022, 12:57 PM   #94
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Track reliability? I'm not confident in its ability to be a daily driver.

They sure are pretty though.
Appreciate 3
      08-15-2022, 02:14 PM   #95
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post

They sure are pretty though.
they sure are!
Appreciate 1
NYG10690.50
      08-15-2022, 08:41 PM   #96
Ummpwr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS 1Le

Thanks a lot for the input guys. Ive had the same feeling...every-time I do a track day with the SS 1LE I think, dang not sure if something else under 50$ is going to be able to put down the same lap times with such ease and control and then switch wheels and drive 5hrs home comfortably.

I know the f8x has some issues with the crank hub, charge pipes cracking, top mount cooler leaking coolant internally But in all seriousness do you all enjoy it as a track car / weekend street car?
Appreciate 1
NYG10690.50
      08-15-2022, 09:41 PM   #97
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Let’s say yes. Once you get hooked into a track car all of a sudden you have many sets of wheels, tires and other spare parts.
I’ve gone from tracking a 2008 Vette, 2011 BMW 135, 2015 M4, 2019 M4, 2016 Z06 Vette and now 2019 M2. Understand I will track 2 or more cars during the year.
If you can choose a platform you are comfortable with stick with it, that will save you money. Especially if you now have 2 drivers.

I should have added the M DCT cars are really easy to drive on the track, really smooth upshift and downshift when near the traction limit and you can shift with two hands on the steering wheel. I had always tracked MT cars until the 19M4.

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the input guys. Ive had the same feeling...every-time I do a track day with the SS 1LE I think, dang not sure if something else under 50$ is going to be able to put down the same lap times with such ease and control and then switch wheels and drive 5hrs home comfortably.

I know the f8x has some issues with the crank hub, charge pipes cracking, top mount cooler leaking coolant internally But in all seriousness do you all enjoy it as a track car / weekend street car?

Last edited by Suds; 08-15-2022 at 10:30 PM..
Appreciate 2
      08-15-2022, 10:49 PM   #98
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:

Crank hub is overblown, especially on stock power. Charge pipes are cheap to replace. $179 for MAD. The charge cooler you can get a relatively cheap upgrade if it becomes an issue. $500-600, cheaper if you're adventurous with unbranded ones on ebay.

I really like the F82. Its a great daily and handles track duty pretty well. The competition packs are fairly well sorted out of the box, but if I were building a car I'd find a non-EDC base car for cheap. The 19" wheels on the base cars are a lot easier to find tires for until you get dedicated wheels and you don't need to spend more on EDC coil overs or figure out how to disable EDC. The DCT is great on the track I think. Great control, lightning fast shifts and if you need to focus on just learning the line its fairly competent even in auto mode. Plus its impossible to money shift.

I can't say I'd pick it over a 1le as a strictly track car though. I looked at those as well and ended up in a M4 because its a better daily with a more usable trunk, better cabin and tech etc. For a track weapon the 1le would have been a smarter choice. TBH I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the 1le is faster stock for stock and it will certainly be cheaper to run long term as a track car. All the 1le disadvantages don't matter a ton on the track.
Appreciate 2
      08-16-2022, 10:50 AM   #99
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I went to a C7Z06 after my M4CS and now I'm in an R8.

I can tell you that I genuinely miss my M4CS and would still prefer to get another one and focus it for the track. The main reason why is because I felt connected to that car more than any other. It was BY FAR the most driver friendly car I've ever been in and it was so forgiving at the limit. The C7Z was much faster and had a ridiculous amount of grip compared to the M4 but at the limit it's a very very delicate car that requires a lot of skill/experience to manage and I don't say that because I crashed it; I just noticed that I couldn't beat and throw it into corners the way I did the BMW.

It is an ideal track/street car and I've never met anyone with a crankhub failure on a stock engine - it's pretty much exclusive to tuned cars. It's certainly more street focused than track as opposed to the 1LE which is more track than street.

My biggest complaint and why I got rid of it was because I made the mistake of getting the MP HAS Lowering Springs "Suspension" instead of a real suspension setup and the stock brakes were atrocious for me. At the time I just decided instead of investing more into it, that I'd get the C7Z - slap some hoosiers on it and go hard and it was the right decision for what I was doing. The C7Z is ready to rip up tracks from the factory and I loved that car very much but it didn't fit the way I drive the same way the BMW did regardless of how much faster it was.

The R8 is incredible but I'm paranoid of destroying it (even with the insurance). I've already got a huge rock blast in my front windshield and some PPF tears that got a little paint. Still has a soft factory suspension like all German cars do.

Ideally I want to keep my R8 for some occasional track days and have an F82 pure track car but I'll probably do something stupid and get rid of both for an 812 Competizione.

The 1LE is a better track car, without a doubt. If you're comfortable in one and can push it to the limit then you really won't find a better car for the track.
      08-17-2022, 04:20 PM   #100
JustAnothaM4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Garage List
2016 BMW M4 GTS  [0.00]
BMWCCA Event at Road Atlanta next weekend August 26-28th...anybody else going?
Appreciate 1
NYG10690.50
      08-25-2022, 06:17 PM   #101
MaX PL
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Northeast folks, what dates is everyone doing September, October, November? I'll be away most of September and my plans are:

LRP
10/10
10/22
11/4

I want to run WGI twice in October as well but not sure if I should do HOD, NASA, NETC, or Mass Tuning. No PCA events in October it seems.

If there are several of us attending any of these I'll sign up as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 07:32 PM   #102
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX PL View Post
Northeast folks, what dates is everyone doing September, October, November? I'll be away most of September and my plans are:

LRP
10/10
10/22
11/4

I want to run WGI twice in October as well but not sure if I should do HOD, NASA, NETC, or Mass Tuning. No PCA events in October it seems.

I'll be at WGI Oct 7 thru 9 w/ NASA

D_SheerDrivingPleasure should also be there, he just hasn't accepted it yet.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2022, 07:33 PM   #103
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX PL View Post

LRP
10/10
10/22
11/4

I'm comfirmed for 10/10 at LRP!

Trying to fill out the rest of the season without getting canned or divorced...I wouldn't even notice she left me until I swap for my winter tires.
Appreciate 2
Montaver2177.50
      08-30-2022, 08:00 AM   #104
WordOnRoad
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70/F80

Anyone doing Palmer with MassTuning on 9/17?
IG: 475_f80
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 09:54 AM   #105
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Who's going to Watkins Glen Oct 7, 8, 9?

Montaver ?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 12:38 PM   #106
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Who's going to Watkins Glen Oct 7, 8, 9?

Montaver ?
If I ever get my car back from Porsche, yes my pedigree chum. I may also have a proper race car by then
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2022, 12:40 PM   #107
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
If I ever get my car back from Porsche, yes my pedigree chum. I may also have a proper race car by then
Why is it still at Porsche m8?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 12:45 PM   #108
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Why is it still at Porsche m8?
Can't get parts for it, took 6 weeks for a replacement header from Germany now waiting for some other part that got melted. They covering it all but annoying AF. Can't seem to get aftermarket parts atm either, the whole supply chain is wretched.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 12:47 PM   #109
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Can't get parts for it, took 6 weeks for a replacement header from Germany now waiting for some other part that got melted. They covering it all but annoying AF. Can't seem to get aftermarket parts atm either, the whole supply chain is wretched.
Should have kept your BMW.
Appreciate 2
      09-01-2022, 02:17 PM   #110
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep

Speaking of Porsche, has anyone driven with Northern NJ or Niagara chapters? They each have September events at WGI that would slot in nicely with my schedule. There is also a BMW Genesee Valley Chapter event but that might be too much back and forth to WGI. With only two upcoming confirmed events I'm getting anxious about missing out.

Aside from @NYG's NASA event, are there forum members confirmed for any event listed below? Does the list exclude any worthwhile events in the NE that I should consider? I could be easily influenced by FOMO if others are signed up.

I'll need to cash in my 401k because I already spent my kids' college money.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
phefner369.00