Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-09-2019, 04:06 PM   #45
jbed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 - ZCP - DCT - BSM/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbed View Post
Quote:
Most of the squeaks are from the rubber seals rubbing against the door jam.
Buy Nextzett Gummi Pfledge and apply to the seals makes them slippery but not greasy. Apply to the rubber bits that touch paint liberally.

Lots of tips in this post if you're ready to nerd out:
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=16582026
I've solved this problem in my '16 M3 but I'm going to test it on my M3CS before I make a claim. I did it without gummi as I heard it wears out.
No different than putting detailing product on black plastic trim. Unfortunately, it may become part of your detailing regimen. I put some on 3 months ago so far so good.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 01:29 PM   #46
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfan9 View Post
My M3 is two months old and not only the rattles but I can hear the door panels or leather or something creaking while I drive! It sounds like I'm driving in an old house when it's really cold out.... how do you fix that!
How do you wash your car? Most of the squeaks are from the rubber seals rubbing against the door jam. I had a brand new 340i that squeaked like a bed in a brothel after I took it to a waterless car wash. Waterless car washes use a lubricating chemical so as not to damage the paint. If you can imagine lubricated rubber rubbing together I think that's what's happening.

Here's the thing: other than a loose brace, my '16 never squeaked from the seals. I've never used a waterless car wash for the M3 so I think it's from the products I use.

My M3CS, however, is starting to squeak! I'm going to wash my car the same way I washed my M3 and see if it solves the problem. I have a theory, but I'd like to prove it first.
Crap! That's exactly what I do.... this mobile detailer comes and washes it once a week, uses wax and does an amazing job, but if that's the issue, I'll talk to them about it. Thanks!

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 07:48 AM   #47
IM2C
Major General
Rep
Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive

Mine was fixed with the teflon tape after 4 visits to the dealer. All 8 weather seals were replaced as well. Rattle free now.

My previous '16 never had any issues.
      03-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #48
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/F15 X5

My SA can't stand me now since he saw me so much for addressing interior rattle; however, they're all fixed now. Guess I need to send him a Christmas card!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 04:44 PM   #49
JoePcone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0011 View Post
Mine was fixed with the teflon tape after 4 visits to the dealer. All 8 weather seals were replaced as well. Rattle free now.

Same here, no issues since - knock on wood it doesn't come back.

(past) 2012 E92 M3 - Melbourne Red - Eibach Springs/AG M359/ performance spoiler/ performance splitters/10mm spacers, Macht Schnell Test Pipes, Alpine Stage 2 Tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 08:12 PM   #50
soulcrft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 Sakhir Orange ZCP

Quote:
Buy Nextzett Gummi Pfledge and apply to the seals makes them slippery but not greasy. Apply to the rubber bits that touch paint liberally.

Wow! That actually worked. I can't believe it but thanks so much.

I'm going to bring it up at the dealer for my 1200mi service but I can already see the eye rolls or the crap they are going to give me.

Regardless, this works for me.
Appreciate 1
jbed39.50
      03-16-2019, 11:54 AM   #51
IM2C
Major General
Rep
Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcrft View Post
Wow! That actually worked. I can't believe it but thanks so much.

I'm going to bring it up at the dealer for my 1200mi service but I can already see the eye rolls or the crap they are going to give me.

Regardless, this works for me.
It won't work long time. Ask me how I know.
      03-16-2019, 05:41 PM   #52
soulcrft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 Sakhir Orange ZCP

Quote:
It won't work long time. Ask me how I know.
ha ha Yeah, I figured I will need to keep adding the Gummy Bear stuff. Especially with the Florida heat. I'm still in shock it works. I don't even understand how or why.

I'll see if the dealer adds the tape when I go in for service. I can already hear the excuses though.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 04:07 AM   #53
Txipi84
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcrft View Post
I have a rattle coming from the rear, drivers side area. Seems like the seat belt mechanism or something loose in the rear door.
I have the same issue. I have a squeak coming from the rear and whern I'm driving and turn in a corner appear the squeak. The sound is like something loose and appear in oth side (depende the corner)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 02:39 PM   #54
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
So I have solved my squeaking issues. Backstory:

I had a 340i that developed horrible horrible squeaking from the door seals much like many of everyone else with an F30 and F80. It happened right after I had it washed at a detailers with a waterless carwash system. I was able to get rid of the squeaking by washing the car myself. Fast forward to my F80 and it had the squeaks since day one straight from the dealer. It disappeared after I washed it myself. Fast Forward to my M3 CS and same thing: squeaking from day 1. I washed it myself for the first time this past weekend and the squeaks are gone. I've narrowed it down to of of the products I use for my car washes:

Adams H2O GUARD & GLOSS

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exter...ard-gloss.html

I love this stuff because it actually makes the car easier to dry and leaves a nice gloss and finish.

After the whole car is washed and dried using the H20 GUARD & GLOSS I always take the damp microfiber I used to dry the car (which by then also has a lot of H20 GUARD & GLOSS residue on it) and wipe down all the door sills especially where the paint touches the seals. I don't directly spray this stuff on the door jams mainly because I never have and the residue on the towel was enough.

Anyway, I encourage everyone with squeaking problems to try it and see if they have as good as a result as I have.

TL;DR: Using the H20 Guard & Gloss got rid of my squeaks.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 03:27 PM   #55
NoMoreAudi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86

Garage List
2019 X6M  [0.00]
Nope, they blamed it on me getting a midpipe.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 03:38 PM   #56
Wolverine M3 CS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS, 2016 M4 ZCP

I am about to return a 3-year lease M4 ZCP with 30000 miles and 12 track events. The car is so noisy, I have rattles in the front right dashboard and every time I rev the car past 5000 rpm the back seat cover where the speakers are rattle too.
      04-04-2019, 06:05 PM   #57
kevolution
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 BMW M3

I did what was recommended by a ton on this forum and bought Nextzett Gummi Pfledge and applied it to the door seals and it removed 95% of the creaks and rattles! They were getting progressively worse and driving me nuts, but now it's quiet all over again!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 07:19 PM   #58
gunsmoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
So I have solved my squeaking issues. Backstory:

I had a 340i that developed horrible horrible squeaking from the door seals much like many of everyone else with an F30 and F80. It happened right after I had it washed at a detailers with a waterless carwash system. I was able to get rid of the squeaking by washing the car myself. Fast forward to my F80 and it had the squeaks since day one straight from the dealer. It disappeared after I washed it myself. Fast Forward to my M3 CS and same thing: squeaking from day 1. I washed it myself for the first time this past weekend and the squeaks are gone. I've narrowed it down to of of the products I use for my car washes:

Adams H2O GUARD & GLOSS

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exter...ard-gloss.html

I love this stuff because it actually makes the car easier to dry and leaves a nice gloss and finish.

After the whole car is washed and dried using the H20 GUARD & GLOSS I always take the damp microfiber I used to dry the car (which by then also has a lot of H20 GUARD & GLOSS residue on it) and wipe down all the door sills especially where the paint touches the seals. I don't directly spray this stuff on the door jams mainly because I never have and the residue on the towel was enough.

Anyway, I encourage everyone with squeaking problems to try it and see if they have as good as a result as I have.

The creaking of the door and window seals is all about the washing, or needing to do it. If you keep the seals and the shadow trim clean and dry, there shouldn't be a problem. The creaking mostly happens when dust accumulates on the shadow trim and the seals, and even wiping the shadow trim with your hand can have a noticeable effect. My first run-in with this was after a two-day track event, i.e. driving with the windows down and getting in and out of the car every half hour. When I rolled up the windows to leave the track, there was so much creaking, I was like, what the hell happened? And then I got a stone behind one of the front brake shields and the car was screeching when it wasn't creaking. Back to the seals and the shadow trim, wiping them with anything, but paper towel, anything that doesn't leave fibers will do a decent job. Gummi pflege will do even better. Krytox even better than Gummi, but if you use it on the window seals, it will leave horizontal lines on the windows if you roll them half way down.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 05:10 PM   #59
RRedline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP MN6

Quote:
Agree that G&G is a great product -- I use it as a drying aid each time I wash. Very light application works wonders.

However, the only way to permanently quiet the squeak from the door seals is to install the teflon tape. You can do it yourself in about 30 minutes and is worth every minute of your time.
Appreciate 1
jmg18657.00
      04-05-2019, 06:34 PM   #60
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRedline View Post
Agree that G&G is a great product -- I use it as a drying aid each time I wash. Very light application works wonders.

However, the only way to permanently quiet the squeak from the door seals is to install the teflon tape. You can do it yourself in about 30 minutes and is worth every minute of your time.
Agreed, regardless of getting rid of the streaks, it's my favorite product for self-washing my cars. Very satisfying to use and the results are spectacular. In my 3-4 years being squeak free, luckily I have never had to get the tape since I am consistent with how I clean my cars.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 08:02 PM   #61
Spritztour
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePcone View Post
Quote:

Same here...dealer added Teflon tape for rattle from door. Door rattle gone. Still rattles on full acceleration in sport+ mode and I am ok with that. It's a beast and not a comfy cruiser. Very stiff.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 08:22 PM   #62
AIRHEIR
X3M Comp
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritztour View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePcone View Post
Quote:

Same here...dealer added Teflon tape for rattle from door. Door rattle gone. Still rattles on full acceleration in sport+ mode and I am ok with that. It's a beast and not a comfy cruiser. Very stiff.
Exactly what my dealer did. Fixed the issues at low speeds which I'm happy with.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 12:42 PM   #63
jcortez75
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 428i xdrive F36

Quote:

Here is the Nextzett Gummi Pfeldge from Amazon that I used and made all the difference:
https://amzn.to/3bimJAY
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 09:14 PM   #64
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf80 View Post
I had one that was driving me crazy. I can tell you this guys now: DOOR CARDS.

I have wedged cut up plastic gift cards, etc into the gaps on the bottoms of the door cards. The clips don't hold the panels snug enough, so they rattle.

I still have a few more rattles I'm chasing.
I have to look into this. I notice my rattle noises come from the driver door- more specifically the lock. I'm hesitant to let my SA attempt to pinpoint it and start pulling apart everything.
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 02:48 AM   #65
Chase__M4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 DCT

Feel like I’m beating a dead horse here but... I currently have an issue that seems to be addressed but not solved in this thread and in many other places. On bumps/ uneven roads, hard acceleration, or if the music is on a bit loud, I hear sort of a “staticky” rattle/squeak coming from behind the rear seats maybe under the rear speakers? Closer to passenger side. I took it to the dealer for service and they said they fixed it and it seemed to be good for a day. I noticed the next day that the liner trim on my passenger side c pillar closest to the rear seat deck was actually not fully pressed down and was completely off of one clip. I snapped it back fairly easily however the noise came back shortly after. Has anyone found a remedy? I don’t want to ask the dealer to fix it again

Also, I still can’t really tell if it’s behind the rear seats under the speakers but it is very annoying. It is definitely not the speakers or the active sound because I have the AS turned off and it still makes the sound when the speakers are off.
      06-07-2020, 05:07 AM   #66
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1nLMSFan View Post
As title states, I am curious to know how well BMW service centers do with finding and fixing interior rattles. I have quickly developed a rattle somewhere in the center console, behind nav screen I think. Anything other than a glass smooth road, which we have very few here, triggers the noise.

My previous experience with Lexus doesn't have my hopes too high. Any positive experiences getting these things sorted out?

Thanks,

Kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1nLMSFan View Post
As title states, I am curious to know how well BMW service centers do with finding and fixing interior rattles. I have quickly developed a rattle somewhere in the center console, behind nav screen I think. Anything other than a glass smooth road, which we have very few here, triggers the noise.

My previous experience with Lexus doesn't have my hopes too high. Any positive experiences getting these things sorted out?

Thanks,

Kevin
Do you hear rattles when the music is up? Like half volume. This a question to anyone reading this with rattles.

My 2016 m4 has nothing .. yet but I basically listen to music 24/7 so I'm just curious if this will be an issue even though I take advantage of the HK daily at medium to high volume
Appreciate 0