ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-03-2019, 07:38 PM   #1
coldfish
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2018 M3 F80

CSF intercooler vs EOS vs Forge

Hi I am hesitating among CSF, EOS and Forge on cooling system upgrade for my F80 M3.

EOS pruduct is fully made in the U.S. and I can reach the owner by instagram easily. Small company.

CSF pruductis made overseas (somewhere in Asia, not in the U.S.). Big company and has been in the market for quite a long time.

Forge pruduct is probly made in the U.K. They just released the new products for F80 recently but have been in the market for a while.

I am leaning towards CSF now but wondering how good the quality control is considering that it is made overseas....

Any input would be much appreiciated !
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2019, 08:31 PM   #2
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Aside from the function and quality, I'm also interested in if any of these alternatives provide any weight reduction compared to the stock unit. I know the CSF is heavier than the stock. Curious about the other two...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 08:36 PM   #3
guess2098
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Taycan GTS, 2018 M4, 2016

Forge top mount cooler has been out of stock for so long. Been watch that for few months already
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 08:44 PM   #4
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
S55 is very good in stock form on many levels.

Just because there are aftermarket solutions doesn't make the OEM inferior, especially on a street-only vehicle. The OEM Heat exchanger is very efficient and no actual data has been released on any aftermarket offerings that I'm aware of to compare.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 12
      03-03-2019, 09:54 PM   #5
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post

Just because there are aftermarket solutions doesn't make the OEM inferior, especially on a street-only vehicle. The OEM Heat exchanger is very efficient and no actual data has been released on any aftermarket offerings that I'm aware of to compare.
Hey Tom, what upgrades do you think are worth it for a car that will visit the track a couple times a year? What do you thing it better than stock unit?

-Top Mount intercooler?
-Heat Exhanger?
-Transmission Cooler?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 10:05 PM   #6
coldfish
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Aside from the function and quality, I'm also interested in if any of these alternatives provide any weight reduction compared to the stock unit. I know the CSF is heavier than the stock. Curious about the other two...
All three weigh abour the same, 15 lbs.

I called Forge for the information too. It is about 15 lbs.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 10:54 PM   #7
coldfish
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I want to replace OEM intercooler just as a precautionary method since OEM intercooler will fail sometimes.

I think some CSF product is also made in China.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2019, 11:43 PM   #8
avex8
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 m3, 15 F80 M3, GLC 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfish View Post
Quote:

I want to replace OEM intercooler just as a precautionary method since OEM intercooler will fail sometimes.

I think some CSF product is also made in China.
I went with csf, it's life-time warranty so nothing to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 11:54 PM   #9
CSF Cooling
United_States
Rep

Drives: F10 M5 - Imola Red

Quote:
Hi I am hesitating among CSF, EOS and Forge on cooling system upgrade for my F80 M3.

EOS pruduct is fully made in the U.S. and I can reach the owner by instagram easily. Small company.

CSF pruductis made overseas (somewhere in Asia, not in the U.S.). Big company and has been in the market for quite a long time.

Forge pruduct is probly made in the U.K. They just released the new products for F80 recently but have been in the market for a while.

I am leaning towards CSF now but wondering how good the quality control is considering that it is made overseas....

Any input would be much appreiciated !
I appreciate the consideration for our product:
Here are some details about the CSF product and answers to some of your questions.

- We've sold ~800 of these coolers over the past ~2.5 years, by the far the leader in sales with this specific product.
- Yes lifetime warranty
- Tier-1 OEM supplier - we have a joint venture in China for our intercooler / oil cooler production. This same factory is Tier-1 to GE for their windmill turbine cooling packages.
- Every cooler is assembled and checked in-house at our headquarters in California
- Painted or powder-coated locally in California before final assembly
- You can also reach me (the owner - Ravi) easily on instagram - @CSF_radiators
or just shoot me an email to ravidolwani@csfradiators.com
- We have many track users using our product with very good success - from Global Time Attack all the way to 25 hour endurance racing.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
more info on our entire F8x m3/m4 product line is at:
http://csfrace.com/bmw-radiator-splash
Appreciate 2
FLOSS M385.50
sly1types431.50
      03-04-2019, 05:39 AM   #10
Shortyy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Someone with a PS2+ car ran back to back tests and logs on the dyno with OEM and CSF charge cooler. The CSF showed no benefits.

The guy now runs stock instead of his CSF.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 07:47 AM   #11
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

you'd think out of those ~800 csf sold over 2.5 years you'd at be able to get cooling data off at least 1 by now
Attached Images

Appreciate 14
      03-04-2019, 07:58 AM   #12
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortyy View Post
Someone with a PS2+ car ran back to back tests and logs on the dyno with OEM and CSF charge cooler. The CSF showed no benefits.

The guy now runs stock instead of his CSF.

Hope that helps.
JP actually lost power with the full 3 piece csf kit

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 09:11 AM   #13
coldfish
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Great video.

All aftermarket intercoolers of S55 use bar and plate core instead of fin and tube. Bar and plate core will have more restriction on air flow so it makes sense it could lost some power on dyno run but it is more durable than fin and tube under high boost. 

I hope JP can also measure the IAT and water temperature too. The main benefit of this kinda aftermarket intercooler is the longevity of power with better cooling capacity, not the peak power. It will make more sense to me to compare the water temperatureor IAT on dyno than peak power/torque. BUt still, it is weird that CSF has not posted any data after 2.5 years....
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 09:16 AM   #14
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great video.

All aftermarket intercoolers of S55 use bar and plate core instead of fin and tube. Bar and plate core will have more restriction on air flow so it makes sense it could lost some power on dyno run but it is more durable than fin and tube under high boost.*

*I hope JP can also measure the IAT and water temperature too. The main benefit of this kinda aftermarket intercooler is the longevity of power with better cooling capacity, not the peak power. It will make more sense to me to compare the water temperatureor IAT on dyno than peak power/torque. BUt still, it is weird that CSF has not posted any data after 2.5 years....
In that case, I’m wondering which component creates more benefit, Intercooler or heat exchanger?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 09:24 AM   #15
coldfish
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post
Quote:
Great video.

All aftermarket intercoolers of S55 use bar and plate core instead of fin and tube. Bar and plate core will have more restriction on air flow so it makes sense it could lost some power on dyno run but it is more durable than fin and tube under high boost.*

*I hope JP can also measure the IAT and water temperature too. The main benefit of this kinda aftermarket intercooler is the longevity of power with better cooling capacity, not the peak power. It will make more sense to me to compare the water temperatureor IAT on dyno than peak power/torque. BUt still, it is weird that CSF has not posted any data after 2.5 years....
In that case, I’m wondering which component creates more benefit, Intercooler or heat exchanger?
IMO, FMIC should have more benefit than intercooler upgrade.

The reason that I decide to replace the intercooler is because there is case of failure on OEM (coolant leaking). otherwise, I would not touch it. For me, Intercooler upgrade is more like a precautionary method. So I am not expecting any performance gain from it. I only hope I can have a product with great quality and last long time without potential failure.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 09:45 AM   #16
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:

The reason that I decide to replace the intercooler is because there is case of failure on OEM (coolant leaking). otherwise, I would not touch it. For me, Intercooler upgrade is more like a precautionary method. So I am not expecting any performance gain from it. I only hope I can have a product with great quality and last long time without potential failure.
why not just wait until yours leaks then replace it.
It might never happen
Appreciate 2
      03-04-2019, 10:01 AM   #17
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthen0thing View Post
It might never happen
I guess I’m trying to figure out how you see it failing?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 10:06 AM   #18
Bmwlmr99
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

I like my csf... racecar looks and function...runs super cool
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 10:27 AM   #19
Fast4d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

which one is made by griffin?

I had a custom batch made to order griffin radiator 15 years ago. I had good luck with it but some had leaks from the oil cooler portion into the coolant side.
      03-04-2019, 10:49 AM   #20
coldfish
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast4d View Post
which one is made by griffin?

I had a custom batch made to order griffin radiator 15 years ago. I had good luck with it but some had leaks from the oil cooler portion into the coolant side.
I think AWE cold front heat exchanger is engineered by Griffin.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 11:08 AM   #21
coldfish
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthen0thing View Post
Quote:

It might never happen
I would rather replace it in advance than see it fail. 

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1570544

When we see it fail (error code comes up) , the issue probly has been there for a while, which means you have been burning coolant in your engine. You have to replace the sparke plugs and clean up your enigine. If it is a lease, I don't really care but I am going to keep it for a long time and need it to be in a good shape.  
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 11:14 AM   #22
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post
Hey Tom, what upgrades do you think are worth it for a car that will visit the track a couple times a year? What do you thing it better than stock unit?

-Top Mount intercooler?
-Heat Exhanger?
-Transmission Cooler?
S55 already has excellent cooling abilities. No one has shown any data to show there's any area for improvement.

Depending on your track experience, brakes (pads/fluid) or suspension upgrades would be more beneficial.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM

Last edited by tom @ eas; 03-04-2019 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 3