BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-20-2020, 04:25 PM   #1123
JDE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB M3

Hey guys I hope everyone is doing great! I just wanted to inform the community on my knowledge/understanding of the F80 M3 after all the research and hands on experience I've had.

I bought my car brand new in 2015 (MY2016 NON ZCP) and drove the car stock for about 7K miles. At this point I swapped my OEM springs for Swift Spec R springs. This dropped my car 1" in front and .4" in the rear. The drop really helped with the overall lofty feel that OEM had. I also feel it made the car look more aggressive, but this came with trade-offs. Most of the time when I had Swift springs I would track/autocross a lot, and I would drive it daily for the most part. I would swap around between my E36, E90 and F80 M3 for daily use. The Swift springs did a great job achieving the look I wanted, but the ride wasn't quite there. Now comes the beauty of the forums, and why I think it will always have a place in the car community. There is actual data and thought process, as opposed to the bashing type behavior I see on Facebook that truly provides very little value.

After tons of research, everyone stated that ZCP coding would help. So I contacted Alex Alpine got it done and I felt as though comfort mode felt better, but the stiffness in sport and sport+ almost made it unbearable especially when there were passengers were in the car. Then fast forward to the release of the M3 CS, and when the coding became available everyone was praising the coding. I was skeptical, as the ZCP didn't impress me. But I was VERY HAPPY to report that the M3 CS coding makes a world or difference and the car actually soaked up bumps rather than fumbling around. So I was very happy with the ride, but the issue that still remained was the ride quality with passengers and the ride with less than perfect roads.

I decided to do some more research. I know everyone is probably saying just get coilovers already lol. But I feel I paid for the EDC and I wanted to use it and I liked the adjustability of various drive modes. I understand certain coilovers do that as well, and I will be pursuing that at a later time. But in the mean time I wanted to see if there was any difference between Eibach and Swift springs. Once I learned more about linear vs progressive springs and ride heights, I felt as though Eibach could be the ticket.

Ok you guys still with me? Now you would think it would be an easy decision, ok just buy and swap. Butttt there are Eibach Euro V1, US V1 and US V2. Now this made it a little more confusing, but after studying the HUGE thread on Eibach springs and reading first hand experience. I knew that the Eibach Euro V1 were hopefully going to be the ticket. My buddy and I installed the Eibach Euro V1 springs and the ride height is acceptable, the ride quality is amazing and coupled with the M3 CS coding it is truly a winner! I'm no brand affiliate and I get nothing when anyone buys Eibach. So any type of linear spring should be the answer, now when we get into spring rates that could also play a huge factor. But so far the Eibach does a great job working with the stock EDC dampers and never falling on its face when roads are bad. I made a video so you guys can see visually the difference between the two style of springs, my opinions and just overall ease of install/working on the F80 M3.

I'm very appreciative to the community because without this forum I couldn't make informed decisions. And basically I would have to listen to all the retailers, who I feel have ulterior motives. Unlike myself who does this for the community and won't get a penny back in return. So rest assured my review is honest and unbiased. If anyone has questions please feel free to ask! I'm always happy to help, and if your not subscribed already think about it. I got a lot of content coming your way, and my collection of cars seems to never stop growing!

**VIDEO WILL BE ADDED SHORTLY TO HELP VISUALIZE WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!**
*FOLLOW THREAD BELOW FOR VIDEO AND PICTURES!*

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1722502

JD
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2020, 04:03 PM   #1124
UNDFTD
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Updates?

New to the forum, so just wanted to say hi and thanks for all the members who have shared their opinions and knowledge.

Been driving my stock F80 for a couple years now and finally going to lower my car. After combing through the forums I too have decided the eibachs will be the best match for what i am looking for. I am leaning towards the V2

As many of you had the springs on the car for a years now, anyone want to update me on their opinion? Regrets? Issues? Would like to hear from both people with V1 an V2 if possible. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 04:26 PM   #1125
VChenz
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDFTD View Post
New to the forum, so just wanted to say hi and thanks for all the members who have shared their opinions and knowledge.

Been driving my stock F80 for a couple years now and finally going to lower my car. After combing through the forums I too have decided the eibachs will be the best match for what i am looking for. I am leaning towards the V2

As many of you had the springs on the car for a years now, anyone want to update me on their opinion? Regrets? Issues? Would like to hear from both people with V1 an V2 if possible. Thanks!
Either cut down the bump stops or get ones from one of the adjustable spring kits (Dinan, MP, etc) otherwise it'll feel like it's bottoming out hard on potholes/sudden gradient changes. If you've got a lot of miles on your car you may want to inspect the strut mounts and replace them. Get new shock boots too while you're at it ($10).
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 06:08 PM   #1126
UNDFTD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChenz View Post
Either cut down the bump stops or get ones from one of the adjustable spring kits (Dinan, MP, etc) otherwise it'll feel like it's bottoming out hard on potholes/sudden gradient changes. If you've got a lot of miles on your car you may want to inspect the strut mounts and replace them. Get new shock boots too while you're at it ($10).
You have V1s or V2s? Guessing you ended up cutting bumpstops, did you just cut them in half? When lowering my RSX type S back in the day the springs i bought recommended cutting them in half (cant remember what springs they were)

Thanks for the other recommendations. Will definitely get the shock boots and possibly strut mounts. Car has 48,000 miles as of right now.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 08:30 PM   #1127
VChenz
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Base

V1s.

I'm getting new strut mounts right now and I ordered bump stops from Dinan off of their HAS kit (wasn't sure if anyone else sold em separately) and figured a purposeful designed shorter bump stop is probably better than just butchering the OEM one.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 09:03 PM   #1128
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChenz View Post
V1s.

I'm getting new strut mounts right now and I ordered bump stops from Dinan off of their HAS kit (wasn't sure if anyone else sold em separately) and figured a purposeful designed shorter bump stop is probably better than just butchering the OEM one.
Dinan uses OEM Bmw Bumpstops but from cars from previous eras.

I remember in the e90 M section, someone provided the part number but unsure if it's the same bumpstops used for the F80.

Regardless, I don't believe the price difference will be much to bother finding out and mind as well give Dinan little extra funds for doing the research.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 10:48 PM   #1129
andrei.m4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f82

1 cm cut from oem bump stop only on the front, will run perfectly with eibach eu springs.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 09:56 PM   #1130
Daveneezy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

So I finally got my springs installed and an alignment done. I have only driven about 50 miles since and I am hoping that the springs settle a bit more. The front wheel gap is reduced, but there is still slightly more gap than I'd like. The rear is lower than the front, similar to the stock zcp stance. I honestly cannot tell the slightest difference in ride quality from stock, if anything it's better. The car isn't bouncy and I almost always ride in sport plus. I also don't drive a ton and the majority of my driving is on nice roads/highways. I also did 12mm spacers up front and 10mm in back. I'll post pics again if there is more settling in the weeks to come. Overall I am happy with the drop and I will be adding a lip soon, I think that's reason enough to not go any lower. I do want that OEM plus look, and I'm pretty much there.

Before:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 09:57 PM   #1131
Daveneezy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

After:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-26-2020, 12:29 PM   #1132
Kiser.mt
Rep
Drives: 18' M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveneezy View Post
After:
Any update? Considering the same springs for my 18' ZCP
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 01:06 PM   #1133
Daveneezy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I'm at about 400 miles since install. The car has settled a slight bit and the stance is perfect! I couldn't be happier. Ride quality is unchanged from oem zcp. My wife didn't even know I did anything! No regrets here, I think this is the perfect oem plus setup. I'll post another pic shortly.
Appreciate 1
Gtracer52.50
      06-26-2020, 01:32 PM   #1134
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveneezy View Post
I'm at about 400 miles since install. The car has settled a slight bit and the stance is perfect! I couldn't be happier. Ride quality is unchanged from oem zcp. My wife didn't even know I did anything! No regrets here, I think this is the perfect oem plus setup. I'll post another pic shortly.
Are these the V1 or us spec v2?
Appreciate 1
henrylee478.00
      06-26-2020, 01:46 PM   #1135
Daveneezy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Euro v1
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 08:12 PM   #1136
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Ordered the euro v1 for the front.. but PayPal duplicated my address twice so hopefully they get to me haha

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 06:59 PM   #1137
UNDFTD
Rep

I saw post from awhile ago that there was forum pricing that was ~$250. Is there still plug for V2?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 04:35 PM   #1138
mdlex389
Private
Rep
Drives: F80M3 E60M5

is anyone running 265/30/20 front and 295/30/20 MP4s on 666? if so what size spacers are you running?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 12:50 PM   #1139
FAM3LYCAR
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite F80-6MT

Garage List
2016 M3  [0.00]
Not sure if anyone has gone this route, but I now have a combination of Euro V1 and US V2 on my car and it seems to be right where I want it.

I started with a full US V2 set and while it seemed perfect at first, the rear settled more than I wanted, and if anyone was riding in the back seat it would occasionally hit the bump stops. After a couple months I went back to stock springs on the rear, but then got tired of the rake look.

A few months ago I put on rear springs from a Euro V1 set and it works much better for me. The front is still a little lower than the rear, but the forward rake isn't as noticeable and the ride quality is better than having the V2s on the rear. Just putting this out there if anyone was interested...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 02:14 PM   #1140
JonD
Major
Rep
Drives: 1 Series Coupe, M Sport

Do you need to change or trim the bump stops with the Eibach’s?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 06:41 PM   #1141
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4

Just to confirm, there is only one US version for F82?
      01-06-2021, 01:10 AM   #1142
Gertsee
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BMW Junkie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BMW Junkie View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 07:00 PM   #1143
izzyM2
Major
Rep
Drives: 24’M2/21ID.4/21’MacanGTS

Just got my V1's in. Used to fit 3 fingers in , Now can't fit two fingers. So about .70" less. Fronts only at the moment as it seem good so far with stock rears. Hardly any rake at all with this setup. Maybe when it settles. Any truth in rear v1 Eibach springs actually higher than stock zcp?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 12:13 PM   #1144
ifunner
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzym3 View Post
Just got my V1's in. Used to fit 3 fingers in , Now can't fit two fingers. So about .70" less. Fronts only at the moment as it seem good so far with stock rears. Hardly any rake at all with this setup. Maybe when it settles. Any truth in rear v1 Eibach springs actually higher than stock zcp?
What spec are your wheels? They look great!
Appreciate 0