proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

08-14-2018, 06:03 AM   #1
lmvzuniga
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

The n55's have seen valvetronic issues and the parts used are the exact same for the s55. Currently have a code for a faulty valvetronic motor. Anyone else had or seen this issue on s55? (Code p10e2)
Hoping its something maybe electrical and not have to do the valvetronic motor & eccentric shaft.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 06:06 AM   #2
K81M3
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Yes experiencing what seems to be an issue with the valvetronic on the S55 engine on my M3 CP. Had dealer run diagnostic but no error codes. I get a slow ticking sound upon unlocking the car (very intermittent as only happened twice) when cold only which lasts around 30-60secs. Have you experienced any issues or just a code come up?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 06:14 AM   #3
lmvzuniga
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K81M3 View Post
Yes experiencing what seems to be an issue with the valvetronic on the S55 engine on my M3 CP. Had dealer run diagnostic but no error codes. I get a slow ticking sound upon unlocking the car (very intermittent as only happened twice) when cold only which lasts around 30-60secs. Have you experienced any issues or just a code come up?
No clicking sounds, just the code with the check engine light and when we scanned it showed a frequency of 6 times. So 6 times it was detected that the valvetronic servomotor wasnt able to open/close valves the way it wanted to. Luckily I have an amazing bmw indy who was a master tech at bmw 20+years and just this year opened his own shop. He was saying ista was telling him to update the car first and then he could run like a test for the valvetronic system. So we can find out if its a wiring issue, or servomotor, possibly eccentric shaft could be worn. Dont know yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 06:15 AM   #4
lmvzuniga
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmvzuniga View Post
Quote:
No clicking sounds, just the code with the check engine light and when we scanned it showed a frequency of 6 times. So 6 times it was detected that the valvetronic servomotor wasnt able to open/close valves the way it wanted to. Luckily I have an amazing bmw indy who was a master tech at bmw 20+years and just this year opened his own shop. He was saying ista was telling him to update the car first and then he could run like a test for the valvetronic system. So we can find out if its a wiring issue, or servomotor, possibly eccentric shaft could be worn. Dont know yet.
Also as for how the car ran, no rough or crazy idle. Was just normal but when you first went wot Iguess it sort of hesitated first and then went and was not as smooth as before
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 08:04 AM   #5
K81M3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sounds slightly different but on the same item, I'm not getting any running issues, car run's as normal, it just a clicking sound it makes for about 30secs when you unlock and open the door, bit of a strange one.

If yours is recording a code, that means while running the valvetronic isn't functioning as you stated above and the mechanical throttle body is kicking in as a safety measure, which could explain the slight hesitation on WOT.

Also, what kind of mileage you on? hate to think the eccentric shaft could be worn so soon. Although BMW have released a bulletin on the N55 saying if fix scenario 1 does not work then try fix scenario 2. With 1 being just replace valvetronic, and the 2 being replace valvetronic and eccentric shaft in a pair

I'd be curious to know what your indy thinks on why a valvetronic clicks but runs fine when car is switched on
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 08:19 AM   #6
lmvzuniga
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sounds slightly different but on the same item, I'm not getting any running issues, car run's as normal, it just a clicking sound it makes for about 30secs when you unlock and open the door, bit of a strange one.

If yours is recording a code, that means while running the valvetronic isn't functioning as you stated above and the mechanical throttle body is kicking in as a safety measure, which could explain the slight hesitation on WOT.

Also, what kind of mileage you on? hate to think the eccentric shaft could be worn so soon. Although BMW have released a bulletin on the N55 saying if fix scenario 1 does not work then try fix scenario 2. With 1 being just replace valvetronic, and the 2 being replace valvetronic and eccentric shaft in a pair

I'd be curious to know what your indy thinks on why a valvetronic clicks but runs fine when car is switched on
Il ask him about the clicks. I decided to post as no one has real valvetronic issues on these yet. But its the exact same part #s as n55 which suffer from this more so theres no reason why s55 wouldnt. Same shit. But only thing i can find with s55 is that clicking. From what ive seen replacing just the motor fixes that. Imo I think im going to need the servomotor & eccentric shaft. But I'll see later today. Car has 61k miles, is one of the less maintained ones. First owner just drove it a lot and didnt do much just dealer a couple times. Did have its break in service done. But after that only saw the dealership a couple times from mid 2015 to early 2017. Besides that car runs strong
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 09:38 AM   #7
K81M3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Il ask him about the clicks. I decided to post as no one has real valvetronic issues on these yet. But its the exact same part #s as n55 which suffer from this more so theres no reason why s55 wouldnt. Same shit. But only thing i can find with s55 is that clicking. From what ive seen replacing just the motor fixes that. Imo I think im going to need the servomotor & eccentric shaft. But I'll see later today. Car has 61k miles, is one of the less maintained ones. First owner just drove it a lot and didnt do much just dealer a couple times. Did have its break in service done. But after that only saw the dealership a couple times from mid 2015 to early 2017. Besides that car runs strong
Yeah thanks, would be good to hear what he thinks.

The actual valvetronic issue is common if you a search on this forum, maybe it starts with the clicks and then once failed, it get to what you're experiencing, most have it changed before it gets to that most probably, which may explain your scenario if it wasn't seen to at the time in intermittently clicked. How does your car sound on just idle? Does it sound clattery/ticking or just smooth? Read something fews days back which makes me ask whether its linked.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 09:45 AM   #8
lmvzuniga
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The actual valvetronic issue is common if you a search on this forum, maybe it starts with the clicks and then once failed, it get to what you're experiencing, most have it changed before it gets to that most probably, which may explain your scenario if it wasn't seen to at the time in intermittently clicked. How does your car sound on just idle? Does it sound clattery/ticking or just smooth? Read something fews days back which makes me ask whether its linked.
I recently got the car fairly cheap and dont mind these issues that much, but car sounds good at idle. Im coming from a very modifed n54 car to this but yesterday at the shop didnt have time to diag it but on Monday it had the CEL for it. Went away yesterday didnt have time to diagnose it and it was runing fine so i tried to get the code to come back by beating the piss out of it which i did and it took it great. So maybe its just the motor is starting to bad
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 03:24 PM   #9
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I recently got the car fairly cheap and dont mind these issues that much, but car sounds good at idle. Im coming from a very modifed n54 car to this but yesterday at the shop didnt have time to diag it but on Monday it had the CEL for it. Went away yesterday didnt have time to diagnose it and it was runing fine so i tried to get the code to come back by beating the piss out of it which i did and it took it great. So maybe its just the motor is starting to bad
Good read..

https://bmwtechnician.com/2017/03/27...etronic-motor/

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 02:35 AM   #10
2015f82m4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Yas Marina 2015 M4 6MT

anyone know about this? i have a p10e2 code. my car is making that weird clicking noise. slight misfire at idle, no code for it though. car drives fine. any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 07:26 AM   #11
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015f82m4 View Post
anyone know about this? i have a p10e2 code. my car is making that weird clicking noise. slight misfire at idle, no code for it though. car drives fine. any ideas?
Ask someone to run a valvetronic diagnostic with ISTA/D. Could be something wring with the sensor in the valvetronic servomotor or the eccentric shaft that needs replacement. This is pure speculation without diagnostics.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #12
bmwf82m4
Rep
Drives: f82 ///m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4BR13L View Post
Ask someone to run a valvetronic diagnostic with ISTA/D. Could be something wring with the sensor in the valvetronic servomotor or the eccentric shaft that needs replacement. This is pure speculation without diagnostics.
i think i screwed up....i put a regular battery tender on my lithium ion battery.... voltage is at 13.9 while car is on. seems a bit low
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #13
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwf82m4 View Post
i think i screwed up....i put a regular battery tender on my lithium ion battery.... voltage is at 13.9 while car is on. seems a bit low
Charging voltage should be max. 14 volt. The maximum voltage of the battery is 14.4 volt (3.6 volt per cell). If you measured 13.9 volt then it looks ok to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 11:35 AM   #14
lmvzuniga
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwf82m4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by G4BR13L View Post
Run ista valvetronics test run. It will show any faults. For me insta didnt let me run it until I updated the car's software. That ended up fixing my valvetronics code and then ran the testplan for valvetronics and showed no errors. I have driven 8k hard miles after I made this post and updated my software and ran the testplan and have had no issues. I was lucky. Run the valvetronics diag on insta and will show if the servomotor is faulty or any of the valvetronics components.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 09:17 AM   #15
bmwf82m4
Rep

update fellas.... brought it into the shop, they confirmed the valvetronic motor failed. they will be replacing the valvetronic motor and harness that goes along with it. $2000+ ... lucky i have a 3rd party warranty. lets hope they cover it all.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 09:18 AM   #16
bmwf82m4
Rep

the tech said if you let the car sit for long periods of time it goes bad...my car sits 75% of the time. said 6 months past 3 winters... dont let your cars sit for too long...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 06:51 PM   #17
redbullfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 TR X3MC

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
I had the same exact problem with my n55 and I had to get the eccentric shaft replaced. The bill was around $3500

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 03:38 AM   #18
dannyz_M4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Frozen White M4 Comp

Mine is currently getting the valley tonic replacement now.

Quick question, do the injectors need to be removed for this to be replaced??

Dealer said injectors need to be replaced also as they were overtorqued beyond spec upon removal.

Any information on process of whole work would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 02:27 PM   #19
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyz_M4 View Post
Mine is currently getting the valley tonic replacement now.

Quick question, do the injectors need to be removed for this to be replaced??

Dealer said injectors need to be replaced also as they were overtorqued beyond spec upon removal.

Any information on process of whole work would be appreciated.
Yep, the injectors are removed. I just got my Valvetronic motor replaced as well.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ear/1VnXHBtNZY
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2019, 05:10 PM   #20
dannyz_M4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Frozen White M4 Comp

That's great... just the info I wanted!! 👍
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 09:38 PM   #21
lmvzuniga
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiasz17azs View Post
Does anyone replaced that by yourself ? I just got
The code P10E I don’t know what I
Should do
First :/
If youre trying to diy, i would get ista first & run valvetronics test plan
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 11:18 AM   #22
zenohua
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3, 21 G80 M3

Well I think I'm eligible to answer this thread. I'm "lucky" that I had the same symptoms OP have described.
There are two types of Valvetronic issue our S55 engine would experience.

One is ticking after cold start, I've made thread about it.
Solve: F8X M3/M4 Cold Start engine click/tick/knock sound https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1645060

The other one is Valvetronic motor clicking after unlocking the door, usually happens when the car parked overnight. If you are under warranty, record the symptoms and dealer will change your Valvetronic motor. If you are out of warranty, the best way is to find anyone that have access to use ISTA and relearn the Valvetronic, otherwise you may still have to replace Valvetronic motor and do the coding, which is pretty expensive.
[IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0