Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-23-2023, 05:02 AM   #1
s55jesus
M Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Garage List
  [0.00]
Driver side vs Passenger lopsided fitment?

So not sure what would cause this but passenger side front + rear looks like it has more camber than the drivers side, causing the wheels to look off on the passenger side.

However, camber adjustments are the exact same and I took it to 3 different alignment shops to verify. Last shop told me the subframe might have shifted? Is that even a thing? Would appreciate it if anyone can chime in. 0 accidents btw.
2015 F82 M4 (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 07:39 AM   #2
attkspec
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

I noticed the same on my car, however all alignment specs are matched side to side. My theory is that it maybe has to do with corner balancing from the factory but I've not been able to confirm.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 04:33 AM   #3
s55jesus
M Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yufai View Post
I noticed the same on my car, however all alignment specs are matched side to side. My theory is that it maybe has to do with corner balancing from the factory but I've not been able to confirm.
Car has been corner balanced already as well on KW Clubsport 3 ways.
2015 F82 M4 (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 11:15 AM   #4
peekeesh
Private
Rep
Drives: F48 and F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by s55jesus View Post
So not sure what would cause this but passenger side front + rear looks like it has more camber than the drivers side, causing the wheels to look off on the passenger side.

However, camber adjustments are the exact same and I took it to 3 different alignment shops to verify. Last shop told me the subframe might have shifted? Is that even a thing? Would appreciate it if anyone can chime in. 0 accidents btw.
Hey bud, did you figure this out?

The rear of my car has somewhat similar issue. The camber is set to -1.8 both sides and the driver side pokes out a little more. You can tell the difference when you eyeball it. It's like the passenger side has more negative camber. The tire rubs on the driver side while the passenger side doesn't.

I was under the car this morning and have loosen all the rear subframe bolts and the bolts/nuts that hold the aluminum brackets that attach to the frame and subframe. I was able to shift the subframe to the right (passenger side). I haven't finished tightening everything as I need to go to work but I'm hoping that takes care of the issue.

no accidents on the car but I did lower the rear subframe like 3 mos ago to replace the diff bushings.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 09:22 AM   #5
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by attkspec View Post

Cars do not come corner balanced from the factory. To corner balance you need springs with adjustable height; e.g., you need something like the MPHAS with front and rear threaded mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekeesh View Post
Hey bud, did you figure this out?

The rear of my car has somewhat similar issue. The camber is set to -1.8 both sides and the driver side pokes out a little more. You can tell the difference when you eyeball it. It's like the passenger side has more negative camber. The tire rubs on the driver side while the passenger side doesn't.

I was under the car this morning and have loosen all the rear subframe bolts and the bolts/nuts that hold the aluminum brackets that attach to the frame and subframe. I was able to shift the subframe to the right (passenger side). I haven't finished tightening everything as I need to go to work but I'm hoping that takes care of the issue.

no accidents on the car but I did lower the rear subframe like 3 mos ago to replace the diff bushings.
There should be practically no play in the subframe. However, there are several manufacturing tolerances that stack up, such as the subframe suspension pickup points, suspension arm lengths and bushing radial offsets, quarter panel manufacturing, quarter panel to chassis welds, hub and rotor mounting surfaces, wheel pad to face/rim, etc., that results in the wheel/tire to quarter panel visual lateral offset. If you look at the chassis repair tolerances on frame, body and suspension you’re taking about 0.0x” to 0.xx” deltas. The differences you’re seeing is not an issue unless your subframe was somehow damaged in a severe accident.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 12:17 PM   #6
peekeesh
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Cars do not come corner balanced from the factory. To corner balance you need springs with adjustable height; e.g., you need something like the MPHAS with front and rear threaded mounts

There should be practically no play in the subframe. However, there are several manufacturing tolerances that stack up, such as the subframe suspension pickup points, suspension arm lengths and bushing radial offsets, quarter panel manufacturing, quarter panel to chassis welds, hub and rotor mounting surfaces, wheel pad to face/rim, etc., that results in the wheel/tire to quarter panel visual lateral offset. If you look at the chassis repair tolerances on frame, body and suspension you’re taking about 0.0x” to 0.xx” deltas. The differences you’re seeing is not an issue unless your subframe was somehow damaged in a severe accident.
There's a few mm of play. If you loosen all 4 bolts that hold the rear subframe and loosen the aluminum bracket, you will be able to move the rear subframe by a few mms. maybe max 2mms left/right.

The car hasn't been in any accident. But I think this happened when I loosened the rear subframe to install the rear diff bushings. And when I bolted it back up, it probably moved a little bit to the left.

Anyway, I've fixed my issue. I had to push the subframe all the way to the right and tighten all bolts. They're even now. re-checked alignment and it's still within range.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 01:04 PM   #7
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekeesh View Post
There's a few mm of play. If you loosen all 4 bolts that hold the rear subframe and loosen the aluminum bracket, you will be able to move the rear subframe by a few mms. maybe max 2mms left/right.

The car hasn't been in any accident. But I think this happened when I loosened the rear subframe to install the rear diff bushings. And when I bolted it back up, it probably moved a little bit to the left.

Anyway, I've fixed my issue. I had to push the subframe all the way to the right and tighten all bolts. They're even now. re-checked alignment and it's still within range.
Yes, i said practically no play. Wasn’t expecting you to say < 80 mil. Yeah, that’s a significant shift

So you’re saying you can visually see a 0.0787” difference between sides, especially when you can’t see the two sides simultaneously? In my industry we need to use optical cameras to measure an 80 mil variation in large structures yet you can visually see it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 04:19 PM   #8
peekeesh
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Yes, i said practically no play. Wasn’t expecting you to say < 80 mil. Yeah, that’s a significant shift

So you’re saying you can visually see a 0.0787” difference between sides, especially when you can’t see the two sides simultaneously? In my industry we need to use optical cameras to measure an 80 mil variation in large structures yet you can visually see it.
When I was running 666 wheels, it was not noticeable. But after I changed wheels, it became very obvious. wheel/tire spec is on the aggressive side. 19x11 38 with 305/30 tires.

with -1.8 camber on both sides, the tire sticks out and rubs on the rear driver side while it doesn't rub at all and looks pushed in on the rear passenger side. Should've taken before and after pics.

edit: there's probably more than 2mm play, maybe about 5mm. I'll measure. I did mark it before I moved the subframe.

Last edited by peekeesh; 02-01-2024 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0