Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-19-2024, 11:14 PM   #1
F80manz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M4 Comp 6MT

Clunk when turning wheel only in cold weather

As the title states, I have a clunk that happens only when it's below 37 degrees where I hear a clunk noise when turning the wheel to the right. See video for a sample. Any ideas what this could be? I did end up having to replace my steering rack and this noise was not present before. Could bad tie rods make this sound?

https://youtube.com/shorts/aaINma4yj...vHKprATPi1seSf
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 09:07 AM   #2
ra2289
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Interested in the answer as well. I get the exact same sound, under the exact same weather conditions, and only when turning right. It goes away after a short (like a few minutes) drive. Never happens when I’m at home so it’s hard to track it down since it clears up rather quickly.

Nothing during the rest of the year when the weather is warm or hot. Just when the temps dip below a certain point in the winter.

I was thinking steering rack but you replaced that already so not sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 06:16 PM   #3
F80manz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M4 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2289 View Post
Interested in the answer as well. I get the exact same sound, under the exact same weather conditions, and only when turning right. It goes away after a short (like a few minutes) drive. Never happens when I’m at home so it’s hard to track it down since it clears up rather quickly.

Nothing during the rest of the year when the weather is warm or hot. Just when the temps dip below a certain point in the winter.

I was thinking steering rack but you replaced that already so not sure.
It's possible it could be the steering rack still because I only had the problem arise after replacing it with a used one. My old steering rack did not make the same sound so I'm assuming it's either that or an outer tie rod.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 11:37 PM   #4
Strmtrpr_F80
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW F80

You could try this from Tommy L Garage
Appreciate 0