EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

10-28-2021, 11:33 PM   #12827
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Well guys... I have an update and possibly on of the world's biggest boner killers. I no longer have the CS. Long story short - I missed a pretty egregious cosmetic blemish that for a variety of reasons on both my walk arounds including the ambient lighting & weather conditions relative to SMB, excitement at the prospect of owning the car after giving it a drive, and frankly I just was not expecting or looking for something like that on a M3 listed at ~$80k. In fact, 3 other people who walked around missed it as well - SMB in overcast really made it hard to see. I only saw it two days later when I got eye-level with the car in bright sunlight and tried to wipe them away since I though they were light refraction on rain drops. And when I think back, the dealer did conveniently keep the car out of sight on the purchase day until afterward and always backed into spaces to show off the car. After alerting the dealer they did offer to fix all the blemishes, but I just wasn't willing to spend what I did for a car that immediately needed some plastic surgery. Especially since this would require a full respray of the rear bumper with a very finicky color like SMB. Luckily I was able to unwind the transaction with ease, so currently I've got the F82 back and it's as if the deal never happened. So where does that leave me... well I'm pretty sure I'm done with the F82 so I'll be actively looking for:

Either another SMB CS

or

A 6-spd Individual F80 w/ full leather that I can convert to CS suspension hardware and tuning. The CS was really a revelation in the very short time I had it - the quality of the damping was incredible on the absolute shite PNW roads (which was kind of a pseudo stress test). I could maintain traction over stuff that I had no right to based on my experience in the F82. Places where I would usually ease off the gas, I could keep it steady or push further into the pedal.

Anyway, I'm pretty bummed about it but glad I could come out completely unscathed.
Sorry to see my dude. I'm the same way, I would just fixate on that imperfection. Then weigh the cost of the body shop fucking something else up in the repair process. Good call in the end. You'll find another better f80.

Yas brother available

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...398067313.html
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25115.00
RugbyBro7601.50
      10-29-2021, 12:07 AM   #12828
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
I've been reading through the German BMW boards to research a potential new candidate for the garage and came across various threads discussing electronic speed limiters on recent BMWs.

As you know, a lot of BMWs top out at 155 mph/ 250 kph as per the brochure.

Well, apparently, cars after built 11/2020 do not even achieve 250 kph GPS.

Ze Germans say their own bone stock six-cylinder G20s and G30s (including M3/M4 and M550i!) do not go beyond mid-240s. Usually, 240-243 kph is the real top speed. AutotopNL has got a few of them on the channel , too. Identical cars, built before Nov 2020, go a few kph beyond 250. As do my F80 and 135i, obviously.

Someone with a lowly 318d experience the same issue as the car wouldn't even reach its claimed 226 kph according to the speedo.

The question is whether this is intentional (for reasons unknown) or a software bug.
Just remove the limiter 🙂
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 12:08 AM   #12829
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

Quote:
Well guys... I have an update and possibly on of the world's biggest boner killers. I no longer have the CS. Long story short - I missed a pretty egregious cosmetic blemish that for a variety of reasons on both my walk arounds including the ambient lighting & weather conditions relative to SMB, excitement at the prospect of owning the car after giving it a drive, and frankly I just was not expecting or looking for something like that on a M3 listed at ~$80k. In fact, 3 other people who walked around missed it as well - SMB in overcast really made it hard to see. I only saw it two days later when I got eye-level with the car in bright sunlight and tried to wipe them away since I though they were light refraction on rain drops. And when I think back, the dealer did conveniently keep the car out of sight on the purchase day until afterward and always backed into spaces to show off the car. After alerting the dealer they did offer to fix all the blemishes, but I just wasn't willing to spend what I did for a car that immediately needed some plastic surgery. Especially since this would require a full respray of the rear bumper with a very finicky color like SMB. Luckily I was able to unwind the transaction with ease, so currently I've got the F82 back and it's as if the deal never happened. So where does that leave me... well I'm pretty sure I'm done with the F82 so I'll be actively looking for:

Either another SMB CS

or

A 6-spd Individual F80 w/ full leather that I can convert to CS suspension hardware and tuning. The CS was really a revelation in the very short time I had it - the quality of the damping was incredible on the absolute shite PNW roads (which was kind of a pseudo stress test). I could maintain traction over stuff that I had no right to based on my experience in the F82. Places where I would usually ease off the gas, I could keep it steady or push further into the pedal.

Anyway, I'm pretty bummed about it but glad I could come out completely unscathed.
That's really unfortunate but good thing you were able to get out of it.

I'll wait for your update on the new ride 🙂
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25115.00
RugbyBro7601.50
      10-29-2021, 12:54 AM   #12830
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:

Either another SMB CS

or

That is... extremely unfortunate.

Sorry. It is nice to be able to cancel and get out of it. That is partially why I never do used cars. I am so afraid of dealerships just missing (ignoring) easy things like that. Wow.

It looks like something lightly rear ended it. There is some slight indentations too.
Sedan_Clan25115.00
RugbyBro7601.50
      10-29-2021, 01:18 PM   #12831
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

I've gotta re-iterate that this was completely my fault. At the end of the day, I should have done a much better job looking for things like that and should not assume that a price or dealer reputation would imply that these issues aren't there. I am just exceedingly lucky this dealer had a return policy. Here are some pics that represent the lighting conditions when I did my walk arounds (you can actually make it out on the rear pic, though it looks like part of the reflection). SMB is just so dynamic depending on the lighting conditions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post

Sorry. It is nice to be able to cancel and get out of it. That is partially why I never do used cars. I am so afraid of dealerships just missing (ignoring) easy things like that. Wow.

It looks like something lightly rear ended it. There is some slight indentations too.
Yeah I figured it tapped or bumped something - used cars can be a mixed bag for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnniqe View Post

I'll wait for your update on the new ride 🙂
Yeah now I play the waiting game! There are a couple CSs I have my eye on from this forum. Also a couple individual 18' F80s that I know personally that will come up for sale within the next year. Either way I think I'll probably give more preference to private sale from another enthusiast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icegrill View Post
Sorry to see my dude. I'm the same way, I would just fixate on that imperfection. Then weigh the cost of the body shop fucking something else up in the repair process. Good call in the end. You'll find another better f80.
Yup, ultimately it would just bother me too much. I can deal with wear and tear - but I really want to avoid resprays this early in a car's life (20k miles). Thanks for the heads up on the Yas! I think the only two normal colors I'm really after are either Sakhir or Silverstone. I did see a Java Green from Portland on this board, but I think that guy sold it to a dealer that has it listed for 6k more now.
Tecnniqe4197.00
      10-29-2021, 02:13 PM   #12832
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:

Either another SMB CS

or

That's a shame to hear, luckily you were able to get your F82 back and not lose that one too. I would wait for the CS, sounds like that's what you're really looking for, and hopefully one will eventually pop up on the market at a not too ridiculous price.
Sedan_Clan25115.00
RugbyBro7601.50
GrussGott18183.50
      10-30-2021, 12:44 AM   #12833
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
I've been reading through the German BMW boards to research a potential new candidate for the garage and came across various threads discussing electronic speed limiters on recent BMWs.

As you know, a lot of BMWs top out at 155 mph/ 250 kph as per the brochure.

Well, apparently, cars after built 11/2020 do not even achieve 250 kph GPS.

Ze Germans say their own bone stock six-cylinder G20s and G30s (including M3/M4 and M550i!) do not go beyond mid-240s. Usually, 240-243 kph is the real top speed. AutotopNL has got a few of them on the channel , too. Identical cars, built before Nov 2020, go a few kph beyond 250. As do my F80 and 135i, obviously.

Someone with a lowly 318d experience the same issue as the car wouldn't even reach its claimed 226 kph according to the speedo.

The question is whether this is intentional (for reasons unknown) or a software bug.
Just remove the limiter 🙂
I've read it's possible to do within the first ten hours of use of the car. Without remapping the DME.
      10-30-2021, 12:51 AM   #12834
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
I've gotta re-iterate that this was completely my fault. At the end of the day, I should have done a much better job looking for things like that and should not assume that a price or dealer reputation would imply that these issues aren't there. I am just exceedingly lucky this dealer had a return policy. Here are some pics that represent the lighting conditions when I did my walk arounds (you can actually make it out on the rear pic, though it looks like part of the reflection). SMB is just so dynamic depending on the lighting conditions:

Quote:

Yeah I figured it tapped or bumped something - used cars can be a mixed bag for sure

Quote:

I'll wait for your update on the new ride ��
Yeah now I play the waiting game! There are a couple CSs I have my eye on from this forum. Also a couple individual 18' F80s that I know personally that will come up for sale within the next year. Either way I think I'll probably give more preference to private sale from another enthusiast.

Quote:
Yup, ultimately it would just bother me too much. I can deal with wear and tear - but I really want to avoid resprays this early in a car's life (20k miles). Thanks for the heads up on the Yas! I think the only two normal colors I'm really after are either Sakhir or Silverstone. I did see a Java Green from Portland on this board, but I think that guy sold it to a dealer that has it listed for 6k more now.
Looks like a parking lot job to me, the damage on the CS' bumper. I've been rear ended twice within two years, so to me, it wouldn't have been a big issue. And the dealer I bought the M3 from didn't disclose a dent on the rear quarter panel - had already paid for it and traveled 500 miles to collect it. But I understand your position and it's good that it didn't cost anything. Hope you find the right one soon ��

A CS replica with a 6-speed would be interesting, I think. It's not difficult to retrofit the suspension components and do the coding for dampers, ABS and DSC, etc., plus you could do MP HAS & still also retain rear HVAC!

Last edited by swagon; 10-30-2021 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7601.50
      10-30-2021, 11:15 AM   #12835
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
My GT4. A few photos the dealership sent to my CA who forwarded it to me. I am going in to see my car in person tomorrow and figure out when to do my paperwork, along with some other details.
Omg that’s a dream car right there, incredible!! Congrats wowowowow!!
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25115.00
Arcades8174.00
      10-30-2021, 01:40 PM   #12836
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Looks like a parking lot job to me, the damage on the CS' bumper. I've been rear ended twice within two years, so to me, it wouldn't have been a big issue. And the dealer I bought the M3 from didn't disclose a dent on the rear quarter panel - had already paid for it and traveled 500 miles to collect it. But I understand your position and it's good that it didn't cost anything. Hope you find the right one soon ��

A CS replica with a 6-speed would be interesting, I think. It's not difficult to retrofit the suspension components and do the coding for dampers, ABS and DSC, etc., plus you could do MP HAS & still also retain rear HVAC!
Yup if I didn’t have the option of coming out so cleanly I would have been fine with a good quality respray. It was more a function of I was paying market rate for a decent example that should be good to go and not the “needs an immediate respray” price lol. The irony is if the dealer had already done the respray to prep it for sale, I would still have the car

6-speed CS “replica” would be the exact goal if I ended up with a “normal” F80! Plus now I have my F82 back, I’ll take off MPHAS and keep it for the next car, CS or not. There are one or two individuals that I know of that should be coming up for sale at some point. If I’m not in a CS by then, it’ll definitely be an interesting decision
swagon13522.50
      10-30-2021, 02:32 PM   #12837
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Quote:
My GT4. A few photos the dealership sent to my CA who forwarded it to me. I am going in to see my car in person tomorrow and figure out when to do my paperwork, along with some other details.
Omg that's a dream car right there, incredible!! Congrats wowowowow!!
Thanks
NickyC17484.50
      10-30-2021, 06:21 PM   #12838
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
My car has been signed for.

So the Spyder I posted about has already been sold. Within a day of me posting about it, it was sold. lol

They also have two M3s. One is a 22, non-ZCP, 6speed w/ 137 miles on the dot lol. Black on Black. 2nd one is a 21, 6speed, 4700ish miles on it. ZCP, 6speed, Black on Red.

Man these things are being flipped already.
stein_325i25083.00
Sedan_Clan25115.00
GrussGott18183.50
      10-30-2021, 08:06 PM   #12839
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:

So the Spyder I posted about has already been sold. Within a day of me posting about it, it was sold. lol

They also have two M3s. One is a 22, non-ZCP, 6speed w/ 137 miles on the dot lol. Black on Black. 2nd one is a 21, 6speed, 4700ish miles on it. ZCP, 6speed, Black on Red.

Man these things are being flipped already.
Everybody has a number. Look at the guys unloading their 992's on RL after less than a year of ownership because the dealer offer is so damn enticing.

P.S. I went by Carlsbad Porsche an hour ago. They have two used 992's in the showroom. One of them has gloss black Carrera Classic wheels; a first that I've ever seen. They actually look really good.
Appreciate 1
Arcades8174.00
      10-30-2021, 09:38 PM   #12840
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Soooo ... you gonna post impressions or what?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25115.00
      10-30-2021, 10:34 PM   #12841
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
I haven't driven my car back yet.

What happened is, I expected my car at least in November. So, I pushed my detailer back to December out of caution. Well, obviously my car got here far earlier than I had thought and my detailer is pretty busy so I just have to wait for the original time which was December 6th and on for my clear bra install.

I was hoping to stall and wait before I sign for my car but due to my dealerships insistence on doing it earlier as they were getting too many inquiries about my car (if I was taking delivery), I was kind of forced to do it earlier.

My detailer tried to see if he can fit me in earlier but I don't think that is going to happen. So... because I am that OCD, I am just going to sit on my hands for now unless they kind of make me drive it back.

I feel bad for letting my car sit there THAT long in their garage but, if they are okay with it then I'll be fine. The short time I have had test drives, the car felt far more alive than anything else I have really driven. It isn't as stiff as the 981 Cayman GTS but the engine isn't lacking torque down low. But until I have more time with it, that is really all I have.

I am extremely eager and scared to drive it back. I don't trust people on the road but I just want to get to know my car better too.
Sedan_Clan25115.00
      10-30-2021, 11:22 PM   #12842
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:

So... because I am that OCD, I am just going to sit on my hands for now unless they kind of make me drive it back.

I feel bad for letting my car sit there THAT long in their garage
I'm sure he was gonna anyway, but if it's sitting awhile in the garage hopefully your detailer will do a full decontamination as I'm assuming the garage is pretty active with sport exhausts, brake dust, etc

You have a lot more discipline than me!

I'd WANT to do what you're doing, but then I'd cave and drive the shit out of it.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 11:37 PM   #12843
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm sure he was gonna anyway, but if it's sitting awhile in the garage hopefully your detailer will do a full decontamination as I'm assuming the garage is pretty active with sport exhausts, brake dust, etc

You have a lot more discipline than me!

I'd WANT to do what you're doing, but then I'd cave and drive the shit out of it.
My OCD and caution will pretty much always win out.

While it does annoy me a little I have to wait that long, till after Thanksgiving but I prefer to always do it right. Especially after all of my learning experiences since then, I am not risking it.
      10-30-2021, 11:38 PM   #12844
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Quote:
I haven't driven my car back yet.

What happened is, I expected my car at least in November. So, I pushed my detailer back to December out of caution. Well, obviously my car got here far earlier than I had thought and my detailer is pretty busy so I just have to wait for the original time which was December 6th and on for my clear bra install.

I was hoping to stall and wait before I sign for my car but due to my dealerships insistence on doing it earlier as they were getting too many inquiries about my car (if I was taking delivery), I was kind of forced to do it earlier.

My detailer tried to see if he can fit me in earlier but I don't think that is going to happen. So... because I am that OCD, I am just going to sit on my hands for now unless they kind of make me drive it back.

I feel bad for letting my car sit there THAT long in their garage but, if they are okay with it then I'll be fine. The short time I have had test drives, the car felt far more alive than anything else I have really driven. It isn't as stiff as the 981 Cayman GTS but the engine isn't lacking torque down low. But until I have more time with it, that is really all I have.

I am extremely eager and scared to drive it back. I don't trust people on the road but I just want to get to know my car better too.
I'd at least keep it in your own garage in the meantime. God only knows what might happen to it at the dealership!!?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 11:47 PM   #12845
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'd at least keep it in your own garage in the meantime. God only know what might happen to it at the dealership!!?
I trust my dealership, the GSM has been dealing with my family for +10 years at this point.

Because I have signed it officially now, they won't touch my car unless I tell them to basically. They also won't touch it until I say I am ready to drive it back home. I will make sure of it this Monday.

My house is older so the garage is not ideal for the clear bra install, otherwise I would have done so, or sent my car to my other detailer in OC.
      10-31-2021, 12:03 AM   #12846
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

Quote:
I'd at least keep it in your own garage in the meantime. God only knows what might happen to it at the dealership!!?
Yeah, THIS. With as much interest as it has had, you don't want a thousand butts in your seats just "seeing how it feels". Get her home where it's safe until it's time to install the bra.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 12:21 AM   #12847
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
Yeah, THIS. With as much interest as it has had, you don't want a thousand butts in your seats just "seeing how it feels". Get her home where it's safe until it's time to install the bra.
Generally, once a dealership puts "Sold" on the car, no other CA aside from the buyer is allowed to touch the car at that point. Most Porsche dealerships are pretty strict on this and again, I will make sure I tell them again on Monday just to be 100% certain as well as them how long I may have to leave my car with them.

If they suggest I do take it home first then I will ask them to flatbed it back to me. Then figure out something but I will see.
      10-31-2021, 11:40 AM   #12848
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
^^ It's best to wait. Any sort of blemish and the clear bra will look like shit.
Appreciate 1
Arcades8174.00