R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

11-05-2021, 07:29 AM   #12959
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Would have predicted exactly the opposite order. Blackwing is incredibly impressive. Nod to GM's Performance Traction Management holding it down for rwd. Still the best system I've experienced on track, and must be calibrated to the nines in that CT5.

Great vid, always perplexed by the supposed Cadillac brand identity issue. Don't understand why drivers would not be inclined to appraise (particularly) a performance product in isolation. Does anyone really care what Caddy was doing in the 1950's? Or, that Audi was making shitboxes in the 80's? Brands evolve. Ask my teenage son his first thought in association with Cadillac, it would be DPi's that annihilate every GT spec racecar on the planet and make ears bleed. Second thought would probably be these Blackwings. Escalade not even on the radar. (Cadillac is sticking around for the new LMDh class as well, competing against Acura, Audi, BMW, and Porsche. So, should be well positioned for future performance models.)

Porsche is making electric on-/off-road wagon things now. Does that impinge on the GT3's credibility? Or, that standard only applies to American brands like Cadillac -- they make the Escalade, so what business do they have making the fastest, most track capable, (apparently) most entertaining ice performance sedan?

AND worth mentioning that the Cadillac is the only one of those three sedans properly torture tested and usable for some track days. M5 CS still looks to have BMW's lite spec carbon ceramics. Good luck with those. They'll start to fry shortly after your Cup 2 sidewalls chunk. On that note, assume little to no camber adjustability on the M5 per usual. Get -2.5 up front with the Blackwings. But hey, what about the DeVille!? And don't forget what they were doing during the Eisenhower administration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Seriously getting the itch to trade in the C63S for one when they become available. I miss the LT4 and an improved version with a car on mag ride sounds awesome. Problem is both my wife and I really like the MB, especially the AMG TT V8. The thing is bonkers plus it would be a downgrade interior wise. Although the interior on the Blackwing doesn’t look that bad at all. They finally fixed the infotainment and is probably way easier to use than MBs.
Would consider the same trade for the family car. The CT5's are so overpriced right now... And while I bet the Blackwing auto is a better trans than in our AMG, think it would drive me nuts to have the auto version knowing there was the manual. Would probably be more critical of it, as irrational as that is. I was tempted on this one https://www.vroom.com/inventory/cadi...D65RPXN0460032

Appreciate 3
stein_325i25083.00
GrussGott18183.50
minn1914037.50
      11-05-2021, 09:13 AM   #12960
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Quote:
Took my father's 5-Series in for service and received a new 330i loaner with little mileage on it. Things were not great from the start, I started the car and got the typical BMW 4-Cylinder Diesel-like clatter from the engine, was greeted by the awfully illegible digital gauges, I forgot how bad Sansatec is (MB-Tex and even Lexus' NuLexe puts it to shame), the dealer even forgot to fill the car with gas, and the steering is typical BMW synthetic and gooey feeling. Just as I finally am able to get to some corners to test out the chassis, I take it through a few turns, and bam, get hit with this message. Luck does not seem to be on my side, I try to give modern BMW's the benefit of the doubt and then they bite me in the ass That being said, this is still better than the 2-Series Gran Corolla they gave me last time
Been meaning to ask about experiences with the Live Cockpit Pro nonsense.

How's the brightness at night, can you dim it down enough or is it annoying? I like to turn the iDrive screen off because I prefer to have a dark cockpit for night driving.

Obviously, I know the instrument cluster looks awful, but is it really that bad to read or navigate through?

I've not used iDrive 7 yet, but I can already imagine it requiring more attention when driving than my CIC and NBT. I'd definitely not use it as a touchscreen, and I wonder if it's possible to delete all the widgets to get the old-style list menu back.

Too bad they've got rid of the base analog instrument cluster early on. Was my favourite of the three. The mid-level Plus cluster is not as nice - the dials look very plain - although looking still better than the Professional version.

Just sucks it's not possible to have the classic instrument cluster with the big 12.3" central screen. The 8.8" Plus screen is large enough, but the thick bezels are an eye sore.

What was wrong with the 6WA F10 5er cluster anyway? Best of both worlds, really.

Sorta considering a G20 and I've booked a test drive for next month. And yet again, am searching for a CPO unicorn that nobody's ever probably ordered.
I didn't have the car long enough to really gauge the display, it seemed fine at night, and I didn't really mess with the dimming settings. I think reduced mode is the best as it pretty much just gives you a digital speedo and gear, but that's also the reason why I didn't notice the low fuel. Its just really ugly, and is very difficult to read near redline. The ZF autobox as well is very smooth in comfort, but in sport/manual its not crisp enough (too smooth) and many times was late on upshifts, especially towards redline.

Due to the oil issues on a brand new car I brought it back to the dealer and of course with service being closed and having my father's car they were nice enough to let me choose a used car on their lot so I went with something a bit more familiar for me. So in the end, my time with the G20 330i was short lived
Attached Images

swagon13522.50
minn1914037.50
      11-05-2021, 09:34 AM   #12961
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Quote:
Would have predicted exactly the opposite order. Blackwing is incredibly impressive. Nod to GM's Performance Traction Management holding it down for rwd. Still the best system I've experienced on track, and must be calibrated to the nines in that CT5.

Great vid, always perplexed by the supposed Cadillac brand identity issue. Don't understand why drivers would not be inclined to appraise (particularly) a performance product in isolation. Does anyone really care what Caddy was doing in the 1950's? Or, that Audi was making shitboxes in the 80's? Brands evolve. Ask my teenage son his first thought in association with Cadillac, it would be DPi's that annihilate every GT spec racecar on the planet and make ears bleed. Second thought would probably be these Blackwings. Escalade not even on the radar. (Cadillac is sticking around for the new LMDh class as well, competing against Acura, Audi, BMW, and Porsche. So, should be well positioned for future performance models.)

Porsche is making electric on-/off-road wagon things now. Does that impinge on the GT3's credibility? Or, that standard only applies to American brands like Cadillac -- they make the Escalade, so what business do they have making the fastest, most track capable, (apparently) most entertaining ice performance sedan?

AND worth mentioning that the Cadillac is the only one of those three sedans properly torture tested and usable for some track days. M5 CS still looks to have BMW's lite spec carbon ceramics. Good luck with those. They'll start to fry shortly after your Cup 2 sidewalls chunk. On that note, assume little to no camber adjustability on the M5 per usual. Get -2.5 up front with the Blackwings. But hey, what about the DeVille!? And don't forget what they were doing during the Eisenhower administration!

Quote:
Seriously getting the itch to trade in the C63S for one when they become available. I miss the LT4 and an improved version with a car on mag ride sounds awesome. Problem is both my wife and I really like the MB, especially the AMG TT V8. The thing is bonkers plus it would be a downgrade interior wise. Although the interior on the Blackwing doesn't look that bad at all. They finally fixed the infotainment and is probably way easier to use than MBs.
Would consider the same trade for the family car. The CT5's are so overpriced right now... And while I bet the Blackwing auto is a better trans than in our AMG, think it would drive me nuts to have the auto version knowing there was the manual. Would probably be more critical of it, as irrational as that is. I was tempted on this one https://www.vroom.com/inventory/cadi...D65RPXN0460032
That looks really good in black with the carbon wing. There's a dealer that reposts professional shots of the Blackwings and they look really good. Hoping to eventually spend some time with one, but with being sold out it'll probably be some time.
Attached Images

FormulaMMM3662.50
minn1914037.50
clutchdj1878.50
      11-05-2021, 10:20 AM   #12962
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Drove down to the port to get some pics of my ship with my car, even though it's not u loading here in SD but up in Benecia.
Attached Images

Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 4
stein_325i25083.00
Arcades8174.00
Sedan_Clan25113.50
minn1914037.50
      11-05-2021, 10:26 AM   #12963
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Seriously getting the itch to trade in the C63S for one when they become available. I miss the LT4 and an improved version with a car on mag ride sounds awesome. Problem is both my wife and I really like the MB, especially the AMG TT V8. The thing is bonkers plus it would be a downgrade interior wise. Although the interior on the Blackwing doesn't look that bad at all. They finally fixed the infotainment and is probably way easier to use than MBs.
So would you truly buy the Caddy or is this just fodder for conversation? A lot of people over the last two decades have espoused with adulation the merits of the Caddy, but very few have actually gone out and spent their own money on one (…all having plenty of opportunity to do so). Instead they bought something else. Why?!?!
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18183.50
      11-05-2021, 10:45 AM   #12964
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Drove down to the port to get some pics of my ship with my car, even though it's not u loading here in SD but up in Benecia.
Wow you actually did that lol.

Damn
Sedan_Clan25113.50
minn1914037.50
      11-05-2021, 10:49 AM   #12965
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
So would you truly buy the Caddy or is this just fodder for conversation? A lot of people over the last two decades have espoused with adulation the merits of the Caddy, but very few have actually gone out and spent their own money on one (…all having plenty of opportunity to do so). Instead they bought something else. Why?!?!
That's a fair observation and question. 100% I would, but not for nearly 2x MSRP, or for any $ over MSRP, really. To be fair to the Caddy, feel the same about any performance sedan. They can't justify inflated prices.

As far as I'm aware, all of the Blackwings are sold out, so plenty have put their money up. Owned a Z/28 for nearly 4 years. Would have no hesitation on a Blackwing under the right circumstances: MSRP or less, room in the garage for a manual sedan.

Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25113.50
stein_325i25083.00
minn1914037.50
      11-05-2021, 10:50 AM   #12966
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Because at the end of the day, Caddy is still a Caddy. It will never truly escape the brand's own image no matter how good of a car/chassis they have.

I would be extremely surprised if anyone of you end up doing so because I highly doubt it will happen. There aren't a lot of cars I would pay markup for. A Caddy isn't one of them, no matter the engine.

If you critically think about the decision, remove the emotion out of the equation. I really doubt people would end up choosing to do so.
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      11-05-2021, 10:51 AM   #12967
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Wow you actually did that lol.

Damn
It was only like a 25 minute drive from where I was
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 10:55 AM   #12968
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Because at the end of the day, Caddy is still a Caddy. It will never truly escape the brand's own image no matter how good of a car/chassis they have.

I would be extremely surprised if anyone of you end up doing so because I highly doubt it will happen. There aren't a lot of cars I would pay markup for. A Caddy isn't one of them, no matter the engine.

If you critically think about the decision, remove the emotion out of the equation. I really doubt people would end up choosing to do so.
Agreed. Most didn't opt for it when it was poised against the E46M3 and most wouldn't opt for it against a G8X, performance merits acknowledged.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 10:55 AM   #12969
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's exactly emotionless analysis of use/ownership that attracts me to a Blackwing and landed me in a Z/28 previously. Basically every element of the Blackwing story, its development, torture testing, etc. resonates with me. Emotions are tied up with BMW

With you on not paying markup, no way.

Appreciate 2
Arcades8174.00
minn1914037.50
      11-05-2021, 11:04 AM   #12970
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's a fair observation and question. 100% I would, but not for nearly 2x MSRP, or for any $ over MSRP, really. To be fair to the Caddy, feel the same about any performance sedan. They can't justify inflated prices.

As far as I'm aware, all of the Blackwings are sold out, so plenty have put their money up. Owned a Z/28 for nearly 4 years. Would have no hesitation on a Blackwing under the right circumstances: MSRP or less, room in the garage for a manual sedan.
Agreed that the car sells, but nowhere near reaching the intended numbers to compete with the Germans. That was the goal in the early 2000's and it just never materialized despite the great motor and the capable chassis.
Appreciate 2
FormulaMMM3662.50
GrussGott18183.50
      11-05-2021, 11:13 AM   #12971
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agreed that the car sells, but nowhere near reaching the intended numbers to compete with the Germans. That was the goal in the early 2000's and it just never materialized despite the great motor and the capable chassis.
Agreed, and despite that, they continue to meaningfully develop and invest, with the latest iterations being another big jump forward. I appreciate that. As compared to a brand that took their throngs of waiting enthusiasts for granted.

M5 CS pulls at the heart strings, but part of me is happy the Blackwing smoked it. Cadillac deserved to end up ahead.

Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25113.50
stein_325i25083.00
minn1914037.50
      11-05-2021, 11:19 AM   #12972
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

I'd take the M5CS over the blackwing if that's what the choice was about right now, but I'd lie if I say I don't envy the US market getting access to what is by all accounts a super capable Caddy with a great chassis.

For now I'm just gonna wake up the neighbors with my cold start
Appreciate 3
FormulaMMM3662.50
Sedan_Clan25113.50
stein_325i25083.00
      11-05-2021, 11:25 AM   #12973
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnniqe View Post
I'd take the M5CS over the blackwing if that's what the choice was about right now, but I'd lie if I say I don't envy the US market getting access to what is by all accounts a super capable Caddy with a great chassis.

For now I'm just gonna wake up the neighbors with my cold start
I would too. I appreciate the BW, but I would never spend my own money on it. If it were gifted to me, I would sell it to someone who would actually appreciate the ownership experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 11:26 AM   #12974
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

What's up with the front page posts of every Individual colour BMW that the guy finds in UK classifieds?
      11-05-2021, 03:21 PM   #12975
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Stance nation!!!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
minn1914037.50
swagon13522.50
GrussGott18183.50
NickyC17484.50
      11-05-2021, 03:27 PM   #12976
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Stance nation!!!!!
Is this legal in the states?

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      11-05-2021, 03:33 PM   #12977
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
What's up with the front page posts of every Individual colour BMW that the guy finds in UK classifieds?
I don't know, he somehow gets almost every one of his posts on the front page, and always posts a carwow video the moment its live, never late.

Quote:
Stance nation!!!!!
Its enthusiasts like this that I truly hate.
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      11-05-2021, 03:38 PM   #12978
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Stance nation!!!!!
I wonder how many tires this dude runs through.

The only thing I can think of is those poor tires.
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      11-05-2021, 03:42 PM   #12979
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Stance nation!!!!!
Is this legal in the states?
There's probably some really obscure law in the vehicle code that may articulate that wheels need to be within the confines of the fender, but I would have to do some research to find it. I've never written a citation for it.
Appreciate 3
Arcades8174.00
minn1914037.50
GrussGott18183.50
      11-05-2021, 03:42 PM   #12980
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Love these videos, no fancy intro, no chit chat, no BS