GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

04-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #23
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by damageprone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by exo-shell View Post
I just want to preface that I do not consider myself a detailer nor am I OCD about the cleanliness of my car.

Nice photos! Definitely would be great for washing during the summer heat in Vegas.

PS you might want to censor that microfiber cloth reflection on the floor. I don't think the OCD guys can take it .
Oh lawd how did I not see that. Friends do not let friends drop MF towels on the floor.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #24
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by exo-shell View Post
No video. There are plenty on youtube. But here are my thoughts along with some iPhone photos.

I just want to preface that I do not consider myself a detailer nor am I OCD about the cleanliness of my car. I have kids and a large dog that regularly ride in my car. The only detail work that's been done on my car is a ceramic coating a week after I bought the car; that was over 2 years ago. Although I love my car, it's cleanliness is no where near the top of my priorities. So keeping that in mind, here are my thoughts on AMMO Froth-e and AMMO Hydrate.

As you can see from my photos, my car is pretty dirty. This is about 1 1/2 months of no washing with two separate instances of rain.

I did not rinse the car before using the Froth-e; I did it dry.

It was a bit scary going in dry, but Forth-e has great lubrication but stays put on the panel. No new scratch marks appeared after using Froth-e. Awesome!

The spray bottle works great but you have to constantly pump it up to keep the spray wide. It starts to spray a beam as the air pressure drops.

You can only go panel by panel or section by section because Froth-e dries up pretty quickly.

There is a lot of overspray when moving from panel to panel so you are double cleaning a lot. I'm sure I'll get better at it as I do it more often.

I used about 5 micro fiber towels for the body. 1 for the wheels. And 1 for Ammo Hydrate.

It's pretty easy to "wash" a car with Froth-e, but it's not as fast as I thought it was going to be. It takes maybe half the time of a traditional rinse-soap-rinse-dry wash.

It took about 20 oz of water + 2 oz of Froth-e to do the whole car. But you should put about 10 extra ounces because it starts sputtering when you tilt the bottle as it lower and lower. Some one should make a dry sump version of this spray bottle.

I think it's good enough for me to do this type of wash most of the time. However, I would probably prefer to do a quick water rinse first to get off all the loose dirt and dust.

Ammo Froth-e smells like shaving cream. Given that it uses the some of the same ingredients, that's not a surprise. Ammo Hydrate smells incredible!

Hydrate is a great sealant after the wash (or even when drying the car after a traditional wash). Hydrate is a fantastic product that really brings out the shine.

I would recommend Ammo Froth-e and Hydrate for sure.

Here are some photos.

BEFORE

AFTER AMMO FROTH-E

Thanks for the reply, when it dries and if left out in the sun.... Does it leave a film, if that makes sense? I assume it evaporates? Unlike some other waterless washes that leave a residue behind due to the wax/shine product.

How good was it on the rims?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 11:16 AM   #25
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerlx View Post
Oh lawd how did I not see that. Friends do not let friends drop MF towels on the floor.
Haha.. looks to me to be the rim / wheel well rag or that what a good friend said to me lol

exo-shell
damageprone
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 11:18 AM   #26
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
Quote:
Haha.. looks to me to be the rim rag
I prefer toilet paper but to each his own
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2018, 01:25 PM   #27
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
Quote:
Haha.. looks to me to be the rim / wheel well rag or that what a good friend said to me lol

exo-shell
damageprone
Haha! You crazy peoples.

I throw away all of the heavily soiled MF cloths or repurpose them for other uses. Only new MF cloths for every wash. Besides, the driveway is so clean I can eat off it.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 09:54 AM   #28
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

exo-shell Presumably you've tried this product a few more times since the first application. Any additional thoughts after extended use?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 10:45 AM   #29
Gumby_F80
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I HAVE AND I LOVE! I am a former detailer and I use this exclusively for waterless washes. I don't use it as a substitute for a real wash but you easily could. I use it with almost every wash though to do the door, trunk and hood jams. It's got a humectant in it so the experience of using it is something totally different from any other waterless wash. It's slick and frothy! Buy it. You'll like it.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 04:05 PM   #30
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
exo-shell Presumably you've tried this product a few more times since the first application. Any additional thoughts after extended use?
Yup, I've used this several times now. It pretty much replaced my car washing routine for the last 4 rounds. But I will say that for the next round, I'm gonna use a power washer to rinse off the car first; then I'll do the Froth-e again.

If you're super picky about the car washing process (tell tale sign is that you use a leaf blower or compressed air), then this product will not replace your routine. It's really for folks that have been looking for a convenient way to do a wash that doesn't scratch up the paint.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 11:15 AM   #31
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I ordered one and it was delivered yesterday; I’m hoping to try it this weekend!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 09:55 PM   #32
jeffk182
Private
Rep
Drives: Subaru STI

I use Ammo frothe on my car sometimes. If the car is lightly dusty, using ammo frothe with hydrate leaves no residue or scratches as long as you use plenty of towels. If your car is very dirty, I recommend to try and rinse the vehicle first to reduce the dirt amount. Overall, when a water source is not available, Ammo frothe is a viable option, although, there is no replacement for a proper wash.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 01:07 PM   #33
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Anyone able to speak to AMMO Frothe vs iK Foam Sprayer + ONR?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 01:17 PM   #34
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
Anyone able to speak to AMMO Frothe vs iK Foam Sprayer + ONR?
Fundamentally, they're really different products. The Frothe doesn't use any water at all (minus what is added to the mixture, of course), so it's a bit different than ONR in that respect. And the texture is really interesting, too. It's a very slick foam--something like I've never felt before.

I like the ONR quite a bit, and think I'd actually trust it a bit more when if the car is a bit dirtier. But for regular (weekly, mostly dust) washing, the Frothe has been awesome.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 02:09 PM   #35
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas.kent View Post
Fundamentally, they're really different products. The Frothe doesn't use any water at all (minus what is added to the mixture, of course), so it's a bit different than ONR in that respect. And the texture is really interesting, too. It's a very slick foam--something like I've never felt before.

I like the ONR quite a bit, and think I'd actually trust it a bit more when if the car is a bit dirtier. But for regular (weekly, mostly dust) washing, the Frothe has been awesome.
Ah, that is a fair point. I have been trying to figure out how to minimize my maintenance washes without scratches/marring as it still takes me at least 45 minutes from beginning prep to finishing clean up.

My car is Opti-Coated, and my usual maintenance wash is usually:
Wheels - rim soap/wheel woolies
Paint - Thorough rinse then Optimum QD with 2-3 towels
Windows - Invisible Glass

I was hoping the iK or Frothe would save me some time somewhere but I'm not sure how to safely incorporate it to cut my steps.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 10:14 AM   #36
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Ah, that is a fair point. I have been trying to figure out how to minimize my maintenance washes without scratches/marring as it still takes me at least 45 minutes from beginning prep to finishing clean up.

My car is Opti-Coated, and my usual maintenance wash is usually:
Wheels - rim soap/wheel woolies
Paint - Thorough rinse then Optimum QD with 2-3 towels
Windows - Invisible Glass

I was hoping the iK or Frothe would save me some time somewhere but I'm not sure how to safely incorporate it to cut my steps.
I mean 45 minutes is pretty good all things considered! The Frothe definitely is not a true time-saver. I'd say it actually takes a bit more time than a standard wash, because you've really got to take time with each panel and then (if following the instructions) use the AMMO moisturizer afterwards. That ends up being a pretty long and somewhat laborious process.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2018, 11:05 AM   #37
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas.kent View Post
I mean 45 minutes is pretty good all things considered! The Frothe definitely is not a true time-saver. I'd say it actually takes a bit more time than a standard wash, because you've really got to take time with each panel and then (if following the instructions) use the AMMO moisturizer afterwards. That ends up being a pretty long and somewhat laborious process.
Hahah, I see. I just recall Larry saying a 15 min way to maintenance wash your car is the rinse + QD wipe down and I'm there wondering why I'm taking so much longer. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2018, 01:47 PM   #38
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Hahah, I see. I just recall Larry saying a 15 min way to maintenance wash your car is the rinse + QD wipe down and I'm there wondering why I'm taking so much longer. Thanks!
Yes, the only real time saver is a standard waterless wash (numerous available, I use PoorBoys World) if the car is dusty and not dirty. I use ONR if the car has actual dirt (after a rain, etc.) and waterless wash if there is just dust. Using the waterless wash takes about 10 min for the entire car. I personally don't use waterless wash on the wheels because I think the brake dust is too tough. For the wheels I use ONR and wheel woolies. This takes 5 min per wheel. So, at a minimum a wash takes me 30 min.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 01:42 PM   #39
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, definitely doesn't take 15 minutes if you do it the way Larry says (panel by panel). There is so much overspray from the foam bottle that you end up doing each panel 2 or 3 times. To cut down on time, I actually ended up doing 4 panels at a time. It gets me closer to the 15 min but not quite.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 10:59 AM   #40
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Almost three years later, what's the verdict on this? Yay or nay? And yes, I'm one of those hardcore detailer types. If this sort of gets the job done, it's not for me.
Appreciate 0