ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-04-2020, 10:11 PM   #1
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Hawk HPS Plus 5.0 Loud Clunk

Hey everyone!

I just swapped the above pad to do a mild track day as they are rated a bit higher temp than OEM and should be fine for a novice like me. The problem i have is that every time i change braking direction it clunks pretty loud. For example i can stop 10 times going forward and everything is fine but then i will stop once going backwards and a loud clunk comes off. Then when i start moving forward for the first time it clunks again and does not clunk anymore after that. Question.... Am i going to stop tomorrow at the track or did i make a mistake somewhere?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 11:07 PM   #2
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Most of the track focused pads I have used I’ve had that famous “clunk”, perfectly normal
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 11:10 PM   #3
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic1 View Post
Most of the track focused pads I have used I've had that famous "clunk", perfectly normal
Okay thanks, that makes me feel better except that technically this is not a track pad. But still i just dont see where i could have made a mistake lol. Is your clunk pretty loud? I can feel it in my steering wheel
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 09:18 AM   #4
Djdnav
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I have the same pads, and have never experienced the clunk you describe.
      09-05-2020, 10:51 AM   #5
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

The pad material backing plate has been machined smaller than the OEM backing plate. So you get the “clunk” the first time you change braking direction. No performance or safety issue.

I’d be careful with this pad on track. It’s probably a better auto-x pad than track pad. Novices tend to brake sooner and longer which heats things up more than late braking and shorter duration. There really is no good street-track pad. With the F8x, it takes very little time to swap pads so just switch to track/race pads before an event. Pad incompatibility isn’t as bad as people make it sound. I’ve been using Carbotech street compounds for 2+ decades and switch to PFC race compounds on the same rotors. I’ve never once had an issue with pad incompatibility even with Carbotech stating their compounds aren’t compatible with other manufacturer pad compounds.
Appreciate 1
Encanto1164.00
      09-06-2020, 10:22 AM   #6
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
The pad material backing plate has been machined smaller than the OEM backing plate. So you get the "clunk" the first time you change braking direction. No performance or safety issue.

I'd be careful with this pad on track. It's probably a better auto-x pad than track pad. Novices tend to brake sooner and longer which heats things up more than late braking and shorter duration. There really is no good street-track pad. With the F8x, it takes very little time to swap pads so just switch to track/race pads before an event. Pad incompatibility isn't as bad as people make it sound. I've been using Carbotech street compounds for 2+ decades and switch to PFC race compounds on the same rotors. I've never once had an issue with pad incompatibility even with Carbotech stating their compounds aren't compatible with other manufacturer pad compounds.
So just to report back. I was able to stop at the track day successfully lol. I live in Pacific Northwest and temperature was around 70 degrees which did not heat up things that much, i did however manage to melt the brake pad in one of my sessions. They are definitely a major step up over OEM in terms of bite and being able to take little bit more temperature before fading. I think i will do couple more events on these and will change to something more track oriented. They are also crazy squeaky. Im talking crazy squeaky in the street and i did put brake grease
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 03:57 PM   #7
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswy6 View Post
So just to report back. I was able to stop at the track day successfully lol. I live in Pacific Northwest and temperature was around 70 degrees which did not heat up things that much, i did however manage to melt the brake pad in one of my sessions. They are definitely a major step up over OEM in terms of bite and being able to take little bit more temperature before fading. I think i will do couple more events on these and will change to something more track oriented. They are also crazy squeaky. Im talking crazy squeaky in the street and i did put brake grease
I never said you wouldn’t be able to stop; rather, just compromised braking. It certainly doesn’t sound like they we’re capable of surviving a single track session. I guess I’m different because I want a brake setup that I don’t have give a second thought to while on track. I want a pedal that feels and performs the same at the end of a session as it does at the beginning. Not possible with a higher performance street pad.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 04:16 PM   #8
grabbou
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 812SF, E46 M3, S560 Coupe

I had experienced this after putting DS2500 pads. Turns out the OEM break pads are slightly larger, hence they don't move when you change direction. Solution was to put a bit of silicone there and they're not moving anymore.

Pretty sure if you search the forum you'll find the answer. It's quite common amongst non-OEM break pads.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 05:28 AM   #9
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

there should be no clunk, specially with those 5.0 pads

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 11:32 AM   #10
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
The pad material backing plate has been machined smaller than the OEM backing plate. So you get the “clunk” the first time you change braking direction. No performance or safety issue.

I’d be careful with this pad on track. It’s probably a better auto-x pad than track pad. Novices tend to brake sooner and longer which heats things up more than late braking and shorter duration. There really is no good street-track pad. With the F8x, it takes very little time to swap pads so just switch to track/race pads before an event. Pad incompatibility isn’t as bad as people make it sound. I’ve been using Carbotech street compounds for 2+ decades and switch to PFC race compounds on the same rotors. I’ve never once had an issue with pad incompatibility even with Carbotech stating their compounds aren’t compatible with other manufacturer pad compounds.
Was eyeballing these Carbotech pads; you happy with them? How is initial bite?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 02:24 PM   #11
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
Was eyeballing these Carbotech pads; you happy with them? How is initial bite?
CT 1521 street pads? Yes, these are excellent performance street pads with low dust. However, I would recommend not using them on the track. CT XP12-XP18 pad range is better for track use.
Appreciate 0