European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
hfm
Rep
Drives: Evolved

F8x new tech options compared to previous generations

I've been looking through some of the threads and trying to figure out what (cool) new options, mainly technology related, are going to be available on the new M3/M4 that have not been available in the past. As of now, these are the options that I think have not been available before. I do see some other options, but they are not significant. I found these in this thread: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=871011.

248 Steering Wheel Heating
3AG Backup Camera
4WD M Lap Timer (perhaps the BMW apps option had something like this on the prev gen)
496 Seat Heating for Rear Seats
5AG Lane Change Warning
5AS Driving Assistant
5DL Surround View
5DP Park Assistant
552 Adaptive LED Headlight
601 TV Option (not sure what this is)
610 Head Up Display (Finally!)

Let me know if you guys have seen other stuff.

Last edited by hfm; 08-21-2013 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: Added more options
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
RMB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi TTRS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfm View Post
I've been looking through some of the threads and trying to figure out what (cool) new options, mainly technology related, are going to be available on the new M3/M4 that have not been available in the past. As of now, these are the options that I think have not been available before. I do see some other options, but they are not significant. I found these in this thread: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=871011.

3AG Backup Camera
4WD M Lap Timer (perhaps the BMW apps option had something like this on the prev gen)
496 Seat Heating for Rear Seats
5AG Lane Change Warning
5AS Driving Assistant
552 Adaptive LED Headlight
601 TV Option (not sure what this is)
610 Head Up Display (Finally!)

Let me know if you guys have seen other stuff.
I used the options of the 4 series to see what could be available to the M4. I think they might also add something like a side/top view camera and the front will likely have parking sensors too. I don't know how premium they will go with the up graded sound system (Bang and Olufsen or something else).

To get a feel for pricing on options I tallied the majority of the 4 series options and added it to my estimated base price to get an idea of what I will have to spend for the M4. It will be interesting how close this will be or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Heated Steering Wheel
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
hfm
Rep
Drives: Evolved

added more options as per suggestions
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

I wonder if they are going to charge people extra $,$$$ for the DCT like they did with the E9x M3's. On the M5's it's standard to get the DCT and a no cost option if you want the manual.

I am an M5 owner and a few things that always steered me away from getting an M3 was lack of some of the luxury options such as these things:

- Heated Steering Wheel
- Heads Up Display
- Full Leather Option(Leather on the Dash)
- Soft Close Doors
- Heated Rear Seats
- Night Vision Detection
- Rear Seat Entertainment
- Rear View Camera

But now I see that some of these technologies are starting to trickle down into the 3 and 4 series. Even the base 320i can get some of those things nowadays.

So it's a step in the right direction. The most important thing I would say is the Heads Up Display. Makes a big difference, especially in an ///M car.

However I'm not saying that an M3/M4 needs all that crap. I'm just saying that if I was only to own either an M4 or an M5, I would want either fully loaded so I could enjoy it's full dual personality. If I already owned an M5 that was fully loaded, and I wanted to pick up an M4, then I could care less if it had a heated steering wheel as I would use it almost strictly as a track car and order it pretty bare bones.

The HUD on the ///M4 is a MUST though.

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
I still don't understand why manufacturers even offer rear seat entertainment anymore when 2 tablets are so much cheaper and the kids vastly prefer them. They are selling this to someone, but WHO IS THAT STUPID?

I went to the 5 for more luxury too and regret it now. That being said, there a few options I would love to see trickle down (and looks like some will).

the surround view cameras (huge for parallel parking in the city) along with the side view cameras (again, huge for the city).

HUD but PLEASE INCLUDE TACHOMETER/RPM. I assume it does, but the 5 is so damn quiet I forget what gear I am in sometimes with the stupid auto that I never should have bought either. If they made the HUD a bit more user programmable that would also be nice.

B&O sound -- I will pay for the best factory-installed sound I can, no brainer.

I thought I would love ventilated seats here in the greenhouse that is New Orleans but it just makes the leather harder to clean and doesn't work all that well by design (circulates cabin air, not directly from the cooling system). Back to regular leather for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I wonder if they are going to charge people extra $,$$$ for the DCT like they did with the E9x M3's. On the M5's it's standard to get the DCT and a no cost option if you want the manual.

I am an M5 owner and a few things that always steered me away from getting an M3 was lack of some of the luxury options such as these things:

- Heated Steering Wheel
- Heads Up Display
- Full Leather Option(Leather on the Dash)
- Soft Close Doors
- Heated Rear Seats
- Night Vision Detection
- Rear Seat Entertainment
- Rear View Camera

But now I see that some of these technologies are starting to trickle down into the 3 and 4 series. Even the base 320i can get some of those things nowadays.

So it's a step in the right direction. The most important thing I would say is the Heads Up Display. Makes a big difference, especially in an ///M car.

However I'm not saying that an M3/M4 needs all that crap. I'm just saying that if I was only to own either an M4 or an M5, I would want either fully loaded so I could enjoy it's full dual personality. If I already owned an M5 that was fully loaded, and I wanted to pick up an M4, then I could care less if it had a heated steering wheel as I would use it almost strictly as a track car and order it pretty bare bones.

The HUD on the ///M4 is a MUST though.
See i think the M3 has a pretty good luxury side to it already. remember its based off a 3 series, not a 5 series. its never going to have has much luxury feel as the 5 series/M5 has.

my point M5 should and will have more luxury options and feel to it.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Good topic, what are these:

5AS Driving Assistant
5DL Surround View
5DP Park Assistant

I know, I know, google it yourself...
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Good topic, what are these:

5AS Driving Assistant
5DL Surround View
5DP Park Assistant

I know, I know, google it yourself...
- Driving assistant may be lane control, blind spot warning or some combination of driving nannies
- Surround view is obviously 360-degree camera view that many new vehicles have
- Park assistant is undoubtedly the self parallel park feature

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #10
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
- Driving assistant may be lane control, blind spot warning or some combination of driving nannies
- Surround view is obviously 360-degree camera view that many new vehicles have
- Park assistant is undoubtedly the self parallel park feature
Oy... It's a Volvo. Does the tweed jacket with elbow patches and pipe come as an option?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #11
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Are you guys serious?

Really, I cant tell.

Driver assist and lane change warning. Rear seat entertainment. What the fuck guys.

I dont want to hear any weight complaints, or even any threads wondering about weight or size, or lack of road feel, or piped in engine sound.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #12
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit
Are you guys serious?

Really, I cant tell.

Driver assist and lane change warning. Rear seat entertainment. What the fuck guys.

I dont want to hear any weight complaints, or even any threads wondering about weight or size, or lack of road feel, or piped in engine sound.
Thank you!!! I don't know why people want those options at all. Leave them off of mine, please.
      08-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #13
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

Dear BMW,

Please make a really good sound system available, and then keep all of the nannies off my M3. It's an M3 for goodness sake! Outward visibility is just fine, and I trust the mirrors work. I'm doing turn-apex-trackout off the lane stripes whenever the road isn't straight, so I think I know when I'm in my lane. If I get DCT with the 6MT, that's fine but not necessary. Just be sure I can turn all of the traction controls completely off without holding the button down for 3 seconds as I must do on my E90 M5. HUD is a must, and include the tach up there on the windshield. It's an M3 for goodness sake!

Now I can't wait for the big boat M5 to find another owner so I can be back where I belong: in an M3 for goodness sake!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #14
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
Are you guys serious?

Really, I cant tell.

Fully agree. Some comfort and convenience are great but I pray self parallel parking doesn't come to the M4. I seriously doubt it will.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #15
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

mostly useless options that adds weight. if you need those options, go get lexus.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #16
RMB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi TTRS

Garage List
Some options I think are valuable. To each his own. I miss a back up camera and parking sensors on BOTH the front and back of the car. My S4 had them and my Porsche has them and I think they are great. You can literally get within inches of something and not hit it. Maybe I am getting old, but to have to turn my head and guess what I am backing into I don't like as much. I also like the blind spot warning system. Now, that doesn't mean I need a car to park for me or steer for me. But some updated and current options (in relation to the competition) would be much welcomed. I feel that if someone was that interested in weight reduction, they are looking at the wrong car. Get something that doesn't have a back seat, or get a lotus or Porsche GT3. No car will be perfect and everything will have to be a compromise in some way, shape, or form. I think the M3/M4 represents a very nice balance.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #17
paddy335
Major
Rep
Drives: M140i;X5 40d

It's hilarious on the same forum reading posts from people demanding BMW make the M3/M4 lightweight and feral, then others demanding surround parking, heated seats, high end stereos, HUD's etc etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #18
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto
I still don't understand why manufacturers even offer rear seat entertainment anymore when 2 tablets are so much cheaper and the kids vastly prefer them. They are selling this to someone, but WHO IS THAT STUPID?

I went to the 5 for more luxury too and regret it now. That being said, there a few options I would love to see trickle down (and looks like some will).

the surround view cameras (huge for parallel parking in the city) along with the side view cameras (again, huge for the city).

HUD but PLEASE INCLUDE TACHOMETER/RPM. I assume it does, but the 5 is so damn quiet I forget what gear I am in sometimes with the stupid auto that I never should have bought either. If they made the HUD a bit more user programmable that would also be nice.

B&O sound -- I will pay for the best factory-installed sound I can, no brainer.

I thought I would love ventilated seats here in the greenhouse that is New Orleans but it just makes the leather harder to clean and doesn't work all that well by design (circulates cabin air, not directly from the cooling system). Back to regular leather for me.
M cars already have that in the HUD. Non m cars dont.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #19
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy335
It's hilarious on the same forum reading posts from people demanding BMW make the M3/M4 lightweight and feral, then others demanding surround parking, heated seats, high end stereos, HUD's etc etc etc.
Lightweight > heated steering wheel. They have the m5/6 for people who want all that crap.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 09:56 PM   #20
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit
Are you guys serious?

Really, I cant tell.

+1000. When this forum becomes owners only it will quickly turn into the normal course of activities/threads.

Until then, lame.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #21
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy335 View Post
Its ironic, but I expected nothing less. Different people want different things out of their car. And really, How many of us plan on ordering a completely stripped vehicle? Few. Very few, in fact, based on past indicators. So in the end most everyone is adding some weight in the name of convenience, aesthetics, plushness, or whatever other factors drive preferences.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #22
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Don't forget that weight savings has a positive impact with or without options.
Appreciate 0