BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

01-27-2021, 02:48 PM   #1
Rusty_Schackleford
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1985 Yugo

MW F80 M3

Hey everybody, I picked up an F80 a little over a month ago to replace my Macan as a daily. Probably not the best decision but I've always wanted an F80 and I was able to find one for a very good price. I also currently have an E92 M3 that is mostly sees track use. Being able to alternate between the NA S65 and S55 is kind of cool.

Current specs -

2015 F80 M3 Mineral White (all options except EDC)
DCT
CF roof
Volk TE37 Ultra (9.5/11)
MSI stud kit
KW V3
Ground Control camber plates
BMW CF splitter
RKP chassis mounted GTS lip
Fall-Line Motorsports lower lip
BMW CF spoiler (F80)
M Performance exhaust
Evolution Race Werks catless downpipes
Bootmod3 Stage 2 Tune (with GTS)
Trash replica rear diffuser

Specs as picked up -

DCT
CF roof
437M wheels
BMW CF splitter
BMW CF spoiler (F80)
MPE

There were quite a few things that needed replacing right off the bat, small things mostly - old weather strips, windshield trim, bottom engine bay protector trim, and some interior parts that were scratched to hell. First was swapping the DCT shifter knob and trim and adding the Rennline phone mount. The rear trunk spoiler is also ruined as it looks like something happened to the clear coat on it.

Since the car is a 2015 it still had the pre-LCI tails, so I picked up a set from a friend. Coding and installation was surprisingly easy.

The stock ride height was pretty high, so me and a buddy installed KW V3's with Ground Control camber plates. I had Clubsports on my previous M3 and loved them, so I figure for a car that will only see mild track time the V3's would be a good middle-ground.

Next were MSI studs so I didn't have to mess with extended bolts

The car also came with MPE V1 w/carbon tips installed. I found it a little too quiet so again me and the homie installed ER catless downpipes.

Last but not least were the wheels. The wheels that came with the car (437M's) weren't in the best shape, and the tire tread was basically non-existent. Driving in the rain with no tread and no alignment was sketch
I've had a few sets of BBS on my previous E92 and current E92 so I wanted to go with something different. I'm really happy with how TE37's look on these cars - currently have RE71R 265/305.

I also had a chance to throw on the gold RIA's from my E92 for a bit before the new tires showed up

I do think the 18's look a little too small on the F80 chassis, that combined with how much lower the front bumper is on the 18"'s I'm going to continue using the 19" TE37’s.

Overall I love the car. The sound isn’t there for me yet, and there are a few other things I have planned for it. I’d love to get a good fitting CS-hood, but I’ve heard that Mineral White is very difficult to get a good color match on. Time will tell. Either way looking forward to messing with this thing more.

Last edited by Rusty_Schackleford; 02-06-2021 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 3
NYBulldog1309.00
cfm56d7b5849.00
icegrill2078.00
      01-27-2021, 04:01 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Great car. Thanks for sharing!

How much lower is the suspension with KW V3 vs stock?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 09:03 PM   #3
Rusty_Schackleford
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Great car. Thanks for sharing!

How much lower is the suspension with KW V3 vs stock?
Thanks!

It is adjustable, but I have it substantially lower than it was stock. I didn't take measurements for before/after so unfortunately I don't have an exact number. There is plenty more space to drop down if needed
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 09:09 PM   #4
M3nmotion18
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 IR ZCP BM3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [9.87]
2021 MINI COOPER  [10.00]
2023 GENESIS GV60  [10.00]
2017 LEXUS RX350  [10.00]
Congrat! Great job with the mods. Love the gold RI-A wheels!! Looks perfect with the MW color! I have 20" but if I had to change to 18", BBS RI-A in Diamond black is my first choice!!
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2021, 09:37 PM   #5
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Nice work!
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2021, 10:34 PM   #6
s55jesus
M Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Garage List
  [0.00]
Love the gold RI-A's. Wish it cleared ccb's though.
2015 F82 M4 (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2021, 08:25 PM   #7
Rusty_Schackleford
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Got the RKP GTS lip installed! Picked one up through iND and as usual it took longer to open/unpack than install . Just kidding, I'm glad iND takes pride in their packaging.

I've never installed a chassis mounted lip before so the whole process took around four and a half hours.

First step - put the car up on the Quickjack and pull bumper (as my E92 looks on in disgust at the noises this car makes). I pulled the wheels off just to get easier access to the fender liners.

Second step place the brackets onto the car, use a rivet gun to install them, and re-use the OE bolt.

Once the brackets were on I put the upper carbon lip portion on. I probably should have positioned the lip on the brackets before the rivets, but luckily they lined up perfectly despite my lack of thinking the process through. If the rivets weren't aligned properly I would have had to pull them out and re-position them, which would have been difficult.

Notch crash bar foam liner to accommodate the front vertical strut bar that comes with the lip assembly

Notch these upper/lower parts for clearance (I used a dremel)

Mock-up the vertical strut (I marked the center point with a sharpie)

Once that was done, drill out the front crash bar for the diameter of the press-in nut, and hammer it in place. Then install the large bolt and secure the strut.

Notch and re-install this felt piece.

Once all the trimming/fitting was done I removed the lower lip and re-installed the bumper

After that I re-installed the upper carbon lip and then the lower lip portion (I went with the Fall-Line Motorsports raw black lower half)

I left a few details out but most people aren't looking at this thread to read a diy. The oil cooler protector also needs to be notched.

Pretty happy with the overall look, will report back later with more pics.

Special thanks to MRF Engineering and ebisu8_m when I was doubting drilling into the front 😂

Last edited by Rusty_Schackleford; 02-06-2021 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 3
      02-08-2021, 09:00 AM   #8
JCjack
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Wow, awesome build so far!

Currently in a Mineral Grey M2 but always wanted an F80 in white, this makes me want one so bad, especially seeing it on the RIA's.

Can't wait to see what else you have in store...
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2021, 10:58 AM   #9
Rusty_Schackleford
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

A moment of silence for the RKP GTS lip as it was destroyed at a beach in California. The culprit:

One of these stupid things of course. Necessary for a military base, probably slightly unnecessary for a beach.

This was definitely my favorite lip for this car. I'll be keeping the lower lip and OE GTS brackets in case anyone ever comes out with an FRP upper piece (instead of carbon) for this style lip. Until then the M Performance lip will go back on.

Appreciate 1
JT_5260.00
      11-12-2021, 04:38 PM   #10
FrozenM3_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Schackleford View Post
Hey everybody, I picked up an F80 a little over a month ago to replace my Macan as a daily. Probably not the best decision but I've always wanted an F80 and I was able to find one for a very good price. I also currently have an E92 M3 that is mostly sees track use. Being able to alternate between the NA S65 and S55 is kind of cool.

Current specs -

DCT
CF roof
Volk TE37 Ultra (9.5/11)
MSI stud kit
KW V3
Ground Control camber plates
BMW CF splitter
RKP chassis mounted GTS lip
Fall-Line Motorsports lower lip
BMW CF spoiler (F80)
M Performance exhaust
Evolution Race Werks catless downpipes
Bootmod3 Stage 2 Tune (with GTS)

Specs as picked up -

DCT
CF roof
437M wheels
BMW CF splitter
BMW CF spoiler (F80)
MPE

There were quite a few things that needed replacing right off the bat, small things mostly - old weather strips, windshield trim, bottom engine bay protector trim, and some interior parts that were scratched to hell. First was swapping the DCT shifter knob and trim and adding the Rennline phone mount. The rear trunk spoiler is also ruined as it looks like something happened to the clear coat on it.

Since the car is a 2015 it still had the pre-LCI tails, so I picked up a set from a friend. Coding and installation was surprisingly easy.

The stock ride height was pretty high, so me and a buddy installed KW V3's with Ground Control camber plates. I had Clubsports on my previous M3 and loved them, so I figure for a car that will only see mild track time the V3's would be a good middle-ground.

Next were MSI studs so I didn't have to mess with extended bolts

The car also came with MPE V1 w/carbon tips installed. I found it a little too quiet so again me and the homie installed ER catless downpipes.

Last but not least were the wheels. The wheels that came with the car (437M's) weren't in the best shape, and the tire tread was basically non-existent. Driving in the rain with no tread and no alignment was sketch
I've had a few sets of BBS on my previous E92 and current E92 so I wanted to go with something different. I'm really happy with how TE37's look on these cars - currently have RE71R 265/305.

I also had a chance to throw on the gold RIA's from my E92 for a bit before the new tires showed up

I do think the 18's look a little too small on the F80 chassis, that combined with how much lower the front bumper is on the 18"'s I'm going to continue using the 19" TE37's.

Overall I love the car. The sound isn't there for me yet, and there are a few other things I have planned for it. I'd love to get a good fitting CS-hood, but I've heard that Mineral White is very difficult to get a good color match on. Time will tell. Either way looking forward to messing with this thing more.
What are the specs l on those bbs and would you ever sell them lol
Appreciate 0