proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-02-2021, 07:46 PM   #1
///bproden
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Has anyone had any issues with front brakes vibrating during braking? Feels like a warped rotor. My car only has 15k miles and I actually had rotors replaced already once at around 10k miles. I find it really odd that it's happening again so soon. Is this common with anyone else? Wondering if this is a manufacturing problem or something else.

If not, my other thoughts, I always put my car away after I wash it and sometimes the pads stick after the next time I drive the car. Would the sticking make the surface uneven and eventually ruin the brake pads?

I have also used in the past Adam's polishes wheel cleaner which is supposed to clean and break down brake dust. I don't spray directly on the rotors (which it's supposed to be ok to do), however, some will get over sprayed. Since I started getting that vibration back on second rotors I have stopped using this product. I wonder if it's not a manufacturer problem with the rotors/pads then maybe a problem with cleaner and car sitting after a wash and almost breaking down the pads.

I have only noticed this in front though not in the back.

Any help is appreciated
      12-05-2021, 04:26 AM   #2
dodospor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 bmw m4

im in the same boat , thats my second set and even i put track pads that will might solve the issue , but still have same vibration, someone said on old form replacing all 4 rotors will solve the issue not only the front
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 04:55 PM   #3
Amarr7691
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

This is happening to mine as well. Smooth low speed braking but at higher speeds they feel warped and vibrate a lot. 20k miles and not sure if previous owner ever did the brakes. Maybe it's time for new rotors and pads? Maybe even brake fluid?

Only time if felt this before is on track with another car when my brakes were really hot. But I get this feeling after one strong brake application
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 01:40 PM   #4
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

I would try re-bedding them and see if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 10:32 PM   #5
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Possibly pad deposits from stock pads on rotors. Try removing rotors and resurfacing them, or diy resurface with a brake rotor hone.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 12:11 PM   #6
m3elmo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

the oem rotors and pads aren't that good. I had mine replaced under warranty a few times due to vibration. I've since no longer used the OEM pads and just use stoptech street pads for street usage and that helped a lot. I was getting heavy vibration on downhill mountain runs and this seemed to solve the problem for me.
      01-21-2022, 12:31 PM   #7
dizz81
Moving on
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral White F82 ZCP 6pd

I parked my car for 3 weeks while I was on vacation. When I got back I drove it around and it was miserable with the amount of rust that the rotors accumulated, the vibrations while braking was horrible. The rotors felt like they were completely warped beyond repair. I've since put about 100 miles on the car (it's my DD) and after a few heated braking sessions (on purpose), they feel perfectly fine now.

Maybe give it a few good heat cycles to see if that'll fix it?

2011 Blk M3 ESS VT2 625/ES Race *Sold*
2018 MW F82 ZCP 6spd *Sold*
2021 Audi S5 SB
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 02:38 PM   #8
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

I tracked my M4 with everything from stock pads/calipers to stock calipers/track pads to big brake kit.

When I had the stock rotors, every single time that I had vibration, it was pad deposits especially if I was on stock pads - those can not handle temperature at all. Most likely you got them really hot and then stopped. Do some hard braking and get them nice and hot again (100mph to 40mph a few times on empty road then let them cool before you come to a complete stop). It should solve your problem.

Even though the brake cooling on these cars is ATROCIOUS, the rotors are beefy and the weak link for temperature is your stock pad.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 02:46 AM   #9
d_moola
Private
Rep
Drives: m4

time for carbon ceramics lol
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 11:32 PM   #10
Reaganing
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I track stock steel rotors and calipers with Pagid RS29 pads and never have warping or heat issues.

If you are tracking, the stock pads are dangerous.

Even in the canyons I lost brake power (along with screeching) and started cooking the rotors but didn't warp them. Check out the bluing from one morning in the canyons.

I would be hesitant to replace rotors at $300-$400 per corner. Maybe try finding a shop with a gauge indicator to test before you replace.

I don't wash my wheels / brakes when I wash my car. I blow out the brake dust when I swap wheels / tires. I also wash the wheels inside and out when its off the car. BMW is too cheap to anti corrosion coat the rotors and they rust so quickly. I've had several conversations with the brake engineers at Fritz Winter who is the rotor supplier to BMW. They aren't happy that BMW doesn't spend the money because it makes their part look like sh*t after the first wash.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 10:12 PM   #11
Devincey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F82C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///bproden View Post
Has anyone had any issues with front brakes vibrating during braking? Feels like a warped rotor. My car only has 15k miles and I actually had rotors replaced already once at around 10k miles. I find it really odd that it's happening again so soon. Is this common with anyone else? Wondering if this is a manufacturing problem or something else.

If not, my other thoughts, I always put my car away after I wash it and sometimes the pads stick after the next time I drive the car. Would the sticking make the surface uneven and eventually ruin the brake pads?

I have also used in the past Adam's polishes wheel cleaner which is supposed to clean and break down brake dust. I don't spray directly on the rotors (which it's supposed to be ok to do), however, some will get over sprayed. Since I started getting that vibration back on second rotors I have stopped using this product. I wonder if it's not a manufacturer problem with the rotors/pads then maybe a problem with cleaner and car sitting after a wash and almost breaking down the pads.

I have only noticed this in front though not in the back.

Any help is appreciated
I had this issue. I had to replace my brake pads and rotors. The vibration was due to the rotors being warped.
Appreciate 0