Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

10-27-2018, 06:19 PM   #1
AustinJerry
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Black/SB w/6MT

IPhone XR—can’t connect with USB

I just received my new iPhone XR. Prior to this, I have been using an iPhone 6s for audio in my 2015 M4, typically Pandora using a cell connection. With an iPhone, there are three ways to connect to the BMW: the Pandora Connected App, which is typically automatically invoked when Pandora is launched and the iPhone has a USB connection, a straight USB connection, and finally a Bluetooth connection. I typically use the connected app because the phone continues to charge when connected to the USB port. All three of these connection methods have been completely reliable with the iPhone 6s.

Now, I have upgraded to the iPhone XR. I had quite a bit of trouble getting Bluetooth to work properly, but I think it is working fine now. My problem is with the USB connection. The BMW simply will not recognize the XR when I plug in the USB cable. I have tried multiple cables, but no luck. The BMW simply reports “No device connected”. I checked the BMW software, and it is the current version. I am confident that nothing is wrong with the Lightning connector on the XR, since I set the phone up yesterday with it plugged into iTunes using the USB cable.

Anyone else having an issue with either the XR or the XS and USB?
      10-27-2018, 11:54 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

The most common solution in the forums is usually to delete all the phones in the NBT the and then start again from scratch, certified cable if using USB.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 12:10 AM   #3
tooshay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20+M3 badge

Works fine for me through CarPlay
      10-28-2018, 11:14 AM   #4
AustinJerry
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
The most common solution in the forums is usually to delete all the phones in the NBT the and then start again from scratch, certified cable if using USB.
This sounds like a Bluetooth solution. As far as I know, the vehicle doesn't remember devices that have been connected using USB.
      10-28-2018, 11:15 AM   #5
AustinJerry
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooshay View Post
Works fine for me through CarPlay

My M4 doesn't support CarPlay, so I am not familiar with how it works. Is this with a USB connection, or Bluetooth?
      10-28-2018, 11:26 AM   #6
Deleted-User
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Have you tried unlocking your iPhone XR after you've plugged it into your BMW?

iOS 12 features USB restricted mode which requires a user to unlock their iPhone to allow USB connectivity/charging. You can change this behavior under Settings>Face ID & Passcode> USB Accessories
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 12:17 PM   #7
FAKE__NEWS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Anyone else having an issue with either the XR or the XS and USB?
My X and XS have bricked my iDrive several times when plugged into USB. Now I just play music over bluetooth and charge it via the rear plug. Last week, I figured I would try again, and iDrive shutdown for hours and then magically came back on.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 12:25 PM   #8
AustinJerry
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by netinvader View Post
Have you tried unlocking your iPhone XR after you've plugged it into your BMW?

iOS 12 features USB restricted mode which requires a user to unlock their iPhone to allow USB connectivity/charging. You can change this behavior under Settings>Face ID & Passcode> USB Accessories
You may be onto something here. I changed the USB Accessories to On and the XR was recognized by my M4. What is curious is that the USB Accessories setting appears on my 6s as well, and it has been turned off since I got the phone, but USB has worked flawlessly. Both the XR and the 6s are running iOS 12.0.1. Perhaps the behavior of the setting has changed on newer iPhone models.

Anyway, I will test this new setting out later today when I go for a drive. Many thanks for pointing out this setting, which I have never paid any attention to before. I'll report back as to whether the issue is permanently resolved.
      10-28-2018, 12:26 PM   #9
AustinJerry
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAKE__NEWS View Post
My X and XS have bricked my iDrive several times when plugged into USB. Now I just play music over bluetooth and charge it via the rear plug. Last week, I figured I would try again, and iDrive shutdown for hours and then magically came back on.
Oh, I hope not. We shall see...
      10-29-2018, 06:39 PM   #10
AustinJerry
Private
Rep

I am still struggling with getting the new XR to play nicely with my M4. Getting Bluetooth to work requires me to "forget this device" in the iPhone every time, and then re-establish the pairing.

USB flat doesn't work. It will connect, then drop the connection a couple of minutes later, then reconnect, drop, etc. I spent some time at the Apple Genius Bar yesterday, and they couldn't find anything wrong with the XR.

My iPhone 6s continues to work flawlessly in the same vehicle. Apple has offered to swap out my XR for a different one to see if the XR has a hardware issue.
      10-30-2018, 03:06 PM   #11
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Try upgrading to latest iDrive software for your VIN, if you don't have it already.

Go to https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html
and follow directions
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 03:16 PM   #12
AustinJerry
Private
Rep

If you check the original post, you will see that I mentioned that I checked my software version, and it is current.
      11-01-2018, 03:40 PM   #13
AustinJerry
Private
Rep

Problem resolved!

As I said in the previous post, my software was current. But I kept having the feeling that perhaps the software was corrupt and needed to be re-flashed. However, when I tried to load the software again, I received the message that the software was current and no update was necessary.

Not to be outsmarted by my own technology, I selected the option to in-install the current version and revert to the previous software version. This was successful, and I was immediately able to connect my iPhone using either the USB connection, or Bluetooth. Success! I then re-flashed the current software version, and everything still works. I am very relieved that this problem is behind me. Using my iPhone for audio in my vehicle is very important to me.
      10-19-2022, 03:15 AM   #14
SamirSami
Iraq
Rep
Drives: 09/2012 F10 530i/N52B30

to whom who ever came for this Problem,
only NBT have this power problem; CIC and NBT Evo will work normally with iPhones
NBT on the other hand provide less wattage through its USB ports therefore iPhone charging state will flip/plop between charging/not charging states, preventing it from connect
I fixed it by using a Powered USB hub
I connected a USB hub to NBT and powered it from cigarette lighter charger then connected my iPhone to the hub, it worked flawlessly with any cable
Appreciate 0