Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-26-2019, 12:42 PM   #23
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownOne View Post
Interested to see how they perform on your dyno as well! What setup they going on?
Going on an M3 that is tracked regularly, they definitely will be put to the test for longevity.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2019, 02:59 AM   #24
808elise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CB E46 and SG E92 M3s

Garage List
Talked to these guys over the phone to inquire. Straight up jerks. Felt bad for even considering at that point.

Those kratos look amazing btw.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2019, 12:38 PM   #25
blockdoc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808elise View Post
Talked to these guys over the phone to inquire. Straight up jerks. Felt bad for even considering at that point.

Those kratos look amazing btw.
Can you elaborate?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 08:42 PM   #26
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

The rear turbo’s downpipe sits far too close to the silicone bend that feeds the front turbo it’s air. This will be even more of an issue as things get exceedingly hot on/at the track.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2019, 04:01 PM   #27
AG3NTK
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 Imola F80

I have nothing but great things to say about the guys at DocRace. They have been very helpful in the process. OP no hard evidence yet however the car is in the final stages of tuning, ran into a slight snag with having a stock midpipe but that will be addressed very shortly and finish the race gas tuning. I plan to track the car after a couple more mods so as far as reliability I think we will see. Custom ice tank is in order to help with the IAT's. My mod list is posted in the other DocRace thread in this sub-forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 05:45 PM   #28
TheirThere
867-5309
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP and E36 328i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
roughly how many hours does it take to swap the turbos / average install cost?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 07:50 PM   #29
IcebergM4
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3NTK View Post
I have nothing but great things to say about the guys at DocRace. They have been very helpful in the process. OP no hard evidence yet however the car is in the final stages of tuning, ran into a slight snag with having a stock midpipe but that will be addressed very shortly and finish the race gas tuning. I plan to track the car after a couple more mods so as far as reliability I think we will see. Custom ice tank is in order to help with the IAT's. My mod list is posted in the other DocRace thread in this sub-forum.
Glad to hear that bro, please post here with your results as I'd love to see the finished product of your build.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 08:01 PM   #30
AG3NTK
Private
Rep

No problem brotha, once it's done done I'll make a post going over the whole car as well but will post in here first
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 10:46 AM   #31
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320 Si, BMW M4 comp. BMW M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg4 View Post
This is the FIRST I've ever heard of a failure with Kratos turbos, are you sure your friend didn't have a different brand?
Yes, of course.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 10:51 AM   #32
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post
That’s a first! Can your friend explain what happened?
As i said, i don't want to talk down anyone or any Company, anyhting can happen. The Kratos turbos seem to be very good and as said, a lot of guys are happy with them, but my friend was unlucky. The turbos had to be rebuilt directly. They were smoking badly once they were installed so they had to be removed and left for rebuild. bearing clearance was way out of spec so oil was leaking badly out on the exhaustside.
The car is now up and running again and we got 688 hp at the crank at 2 bar of boost on stock fuelsystem. Premium fuel and 20% ethanol. Stock Engine otherwise.
Appreciate 4
      12-02-2019, 10:52 AM   #33
audia4317
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: SC E46 M3

Im excited to see what the Doc Race kit does...

Rhom tuning it?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 10:53 AM   #34
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Can you share the details of the failure?
See above.

Last edited by M 4 FUN; 12-02-2019 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2019, 04:22 PM   #35
Sales@KRATOS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: The Spirit of Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by M 4 FUN View Post
As i said, i don't want to talk down anyone or any Company, anyhting can happen. The Kratos turbos seem to be very good and as said, a lot of guys are happy with them, but my friend was unlucky. The turbos had to be rebuilt directly. They were smoking badly once they were installed so they had to be removed and left for rebuild. bearing clearance was way out of spec so oil was leaking badly out on the exhaustside.
The car is now up and running again and we got 688 hp at the crank at 2 bar of boost on stock fuelsystem. Premium fuel and 20% ethanol. Stock Engine otherwise.
The customer you're referring to is a vendor of ours TrollSpeed in Sweden. We don't know where you're receiving this false information, as the majority of what you've stated is incorrect. The statement you made about the bearing clearances being off and causing smoking issues is also inaccurate and not even possible as that would be related to a defective piston ring on the turbine shaft or flinger. It's also not possible for our turbos to become elliptic as a result of bearing failure as our bearing carrier design would prevent that from occurring. Our engineering department has been in direct contact with Roger, the owner of Trollspeed, regarding a minor smoking issue under deceleration which was not a result of any turbo failure or clearance issue at all. As a matter of fact we have numerous emails from Roger stating how well the turbos were performing even with the minor smoking issue.

After our engineering department spoke with Roger they were able to deduce that the cause of the smoking during deceleration was a result of a thinner oil grade they were running. This is not uncommon with ball bearing cartridges as they require much less oil flow as compared to journal bearing turbos which is why all of our cartridges come with restrictors. In Roger's case all that needed to be done was for us to send him the next size down oil restictor and his problem was resolved. Roger even emailed us after the new restrictors were installed and stated how happy he was with the performance and that the smoking issue was now 100% rectified.

As we are in direct contact with all of our customers and vendors let us be very clear, we HAVE NOT had any documented or reported turbo failures from any of our KRAS55Bi customers. While we appreciate the input you're trying to offer to the community, we ask that you please provide proof when making such bold claims as to our turbos failing and needing to be sent back for rebuilds due to clearance issues. In this case there is no proof to provide that backs your claim as no turbos were ever shipped back to us from Trollspeed and no rebuild was ever performed. We pride ourselves in our engineering and product quality/durability which is why we take claims such as these very seriously.

Last edited by Sales@KRATOS; 12-03-2019 at 12:50 PM..
Appreciate 4
SYT_Shadow11421.00
M2C_OZ210.00
JTO245246.50
      12-02-2019, 05:05 PM   #36
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg4 View Post
Are there any solid reviews on this kit yet? Does anyone have it on their car in the wild and willing to share their thoughts? I tried searching already and found nothing.

I'm seriously on the fence between this kit and the KRATOS turbos and I need to make a decision soon.
BMS made an S55 JB4 that is able to control external wastegates, makes tuning S55 kits really easy. They've tuned a few although not sure if any of the customers have posted those results yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #37
AG3NTK
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by audia4317 View Post

Rhom tuning it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by audia4317 View Post

Rhom tuning it?
Yes sir! car is with them currently, hoping to get it back in the next few weeks coming up.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 12:23 PM   #38
Envy ///M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
What was up up with the stock midpipe?

Last edited by Envy ///M3; 12-03-2019 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 10:15 PM   #39
AG3NTK
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy ///M3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy ///M3 View Post
Quote:
It was too restrictive so it was replaced, plus I wanted the AA midpipe anyhow so it all happened at a good time. Car is scheduled for tuning again with the new exhaust Tuesday
Appreciate 2
      12-10-2019, 09:54 AM   #40
Envy ///M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
It was too restrictive so it was replaced, plus I wanted the AA midpipe anyhow so it all happened at a good time. Car is scheduled for tuning again with the new exhaust Tuesday
Good to hear man. I ask Timothy Allen about yor car quite a bit. Im looking forward to seeing your results with this setup.
Appreciate 1
AG3NTK37.00
      12-10-2019, 06:56 PM   #41
rnguyennnn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

The car should rip on race fuel. I look forward to your results!

Instagram: ZUUUPRA_M4N
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 07:43 PM   #42
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@KRATOS View Post
As we are in direct contact with all of our customers and vendors let us be very clear, we HAVE NOT had any documented or reported turbo failures from any of our KRAS55Bi customers.
Interesting...again quoted for INTEGRITY.

Edit: for those trigger happy on the delete post button, original post screenshots have been taken.

Last edited by Commanderwiggin; 12-10-2019 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 08:24 PM   #43
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:

Edit: for those trigger happy on the delete post button, original post screenshots have been taken.
I really, really don't want to fuel this fire, but did someone on here post a first hand account of a problem with their turbos? My friend and he said/she said don't count. Not attacking, just curious where all this is coming from.

I'd hate to be a first party vendor on here.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2019, 01:06 AM   #44
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:

Commanderwiggin = archive.bimmerpost.com

😝