R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

07-24-2020, 11:27 PM   #23
VChenz
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Base

I just had mine go. Bought a handheld scanner and it pulls these two codes even after clearing them:

135C11 Valvetronic servomotor position sensors: Signals implausible

135A08 Valvetronic,servomotor position sensors:signal
implausible

I hear the ticking/grinding noise when I unlock the car. My kids heard it today when we were emptying the trunk after we drove it so the valve tronic must run again shortly after the car is turned off as well as before.

I have the extended warranty so I'll take it into the shop and update everyone on what they decided to do.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 10:42 PM   #24
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChenz View Post
I just had mine go. Bought a handheld scanner and it pulls these two codes even after clearing them:

implausible

I hear the ticking/grinding noise when I unlock the car. My kids heard it today when we were emptying the trunk after we drove it so the valve tronic must run again shortly after the car is turned off as well as before.

I have the extended warranty so I'll take it into the shop and update everyone on what they decided to do.
Hopefully not the eccentric shaft itself. It'll wear which will cause it to bind.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 01:09 PM   #25
VChenz
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Base

Quote:

implausible

just an update, dealer saw the codes, unplugged the valvetronic motor, cleaned out the plug and reset the codes. kept the car overnight and the codes didnt come back after being driven 70km and a couple cold starts. So far so good, even with a few WOT pulls.

i had the valve cover gasket replaced a couple weeks ago so i am not sure if they maybe knocked it loose then but i did get saddled with the diagnostic bill as no parts were replaced
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 04:08 PM   #26
AT.Justin
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Quote:
just an update, dealer saw the codes, unplugged the valvetronic motor, cleaned out the plug and reset the codes. kept the car overnight and the codes didnt come back after being driven 70km and a couple cold starts. So far so good, even with a few WOT pulls.

i had the valve cover gasket replaced a couple weeks ago so i am not sure if they maybe knocked it loose then but i did get saddled with the diagnostic bill as no parts were replaced
It is a very sensitive sensor, more than likely that sensor will come back with the codes and it will need to be replaced.

The design and placement of the sensor itself is completely stupid, it's a tiny plastic sensor that sits right on the head
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 07:22 PM   #27
stondM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT.Justin View Post
It is a very sensitive sensor, more than likely that sensor will come back with the codes and it will need to be replaced.

The design and placement of the sensor itself is completely stupid, it's a tiny plastic sensor that sits right on the head

My S55 is making the clicking noise when I unlock the doors. No codes. Should I go ahead and replace the valvetronic motor? Wait until it throws codes? Get an official diagnostic? The motor replacement looks pretty straightforward. Anyone DIY this?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 07:56 PM   #28
Pittz1
2018 M3 ZCP / 06 330xi
Rep
Drives: 330xi 2006 / 18 M3 ZCP

Same here. 2018 ZCP. Delaer told me they had to hear it themselves to fix it. Only on unlocking the car. Very random.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 02:22 PM   #29
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

With the Covid situation my car has been sitting in the garage more and more. Now I often get 30 seconds of loud clicking when I unlock the doors... sounds like this issue :-(

I saw mention of running an ISTA/D diagnostic ... and I think I have that installed on a Windows laptop from a while ago (for resetting EDC sensors after coding dampers)

Is the valvetronic diagnostics test something I can do safely in my home - or might it leave the car in a messed up state? I saw a comment that it might actually recalibrate and fix the problem ... is this possible/likely?

Car is out of warranty now (had been expecting to upgrade to a G8x but that now seems unlikely!) so I would love to avoid a dealership just doing $3000 of work if it's potentially unnecessary.

Any advice?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 11:56 PM   #30
lmvzuniga
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
With the Covid situation my car has been sitting in the garage more and more. Now I often get 30 seconds of loud clicking when I unlock the doors... sounds like this issue :-(

I saw mention of running an ISTA/D diagnostic ... and I think I have that installed on a Windows laptop from a while ago (for resetting EDC sensors after coding dampers)

Is the valvetronic diagnostics test something I can do safely in my home - or might it leave the car in a messed up state? I saw a comment that it might actually recalibrate and fix the problem ... is this possible/likely?

Car is out of warranty now (had been expecting to upgrade to a G8x but that now seems unlikely!) so I would love to avoid a dealership just doing $3000 of work if it's potentially unnecessary.

Any advice?
If you don't feel comfortable using ista/doing yourself, check out a near by bmw indy shop to run the valvetronic test plan
Appreciate 1
pbar1380.50
      02-02-2021, 11:50 AM   #31
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quick update: I eventually got around to firing up ISTA+. My car had no fault codes related to valvetronic, so I ran the simple 'Valvetronic limit stop reset' procedure.

Took about 2 seconds ...and now I apparently have no more loud clicking noises when unlocking the car!

Also, this may just be confirmation bias, but I think the slow and idle are improved and the car feels just that little bit smoother.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2021, 06:05 PM   #32
lmvzuniga
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Quick update: I eventually got around to firing up ISTA+. My car had no fault codes related to valvetronic, so I ran the simple 'Valvetronic limit stop reset' procedure.

Took about 2 seconds ...and now I apparently have no more loud clicking noises when unlocking the car!

Also, this may just be confirmation bias, but I think the slow and idle are improved and the car feels just that little bit smoother.
Awesome news!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 06:09 AM   #33
Ajeje
Enlisted Member
San Marino
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

hello guys

here another s55 with same problem...after 3 weeks that the car was in garage, battery charger ok, now i have the issue of the valvetronic. didn't nkow about this issue i find this thread by searching the error that i see via ista.

i will try the reset procedure and will update this thread.
car is an late 2016 46.000km
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 11:30 AM   #34
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:

Could you please provide a bit more detail on how to do the Valvetronic Limit Stop Reset?

I have ISTA+, just looking for some screenshots or step by step menu options to go through.
Many thanks.
      09-21-2021, 01:35 PM   #35
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

To the ones that are pulling codes, are you guys getting CEL lights and then reading those codes are are you guys just pulling codes without a CEL light on? I know certain things like the exhaust valve being disconnected can have codes pulled without a CEL light on, so was curious.

I've had the clicking noise when engine off and I unlock car or open door for 4 years now - but never had a CEL light. Usually happens when car sits longer during the colder months.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 01:38 PM   #36
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
…..
I've had the clicking noise when engine off and I unlock car or open door for 4 years now - but never had a CEL light. Usually happens when car sits longer during the colder months.
Same here… just a clicking noise sometimes when car is not used for a while. No lights or any error codes.
      10-20-2021, 01:57 AM   #37
Ajeje
Enlisted Member
San Marino
Rep

finally valvetronic changed.

engine now is complete different, very quite, no vibrating.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 02:56 AM   #38
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajeje View Post
hello guys

here another s55 with same problem...after 3 weeks that the car was in garage, battery charger ok, now i have the issue of the valvetronic. didn't nkow about this issue i find this thread by searching the error that i see via ista.

i will try the reset procedure and will update this thread.
car is an late 2016 46.000km
How did you do the Reset Procedure? Can you shed some more detail as in what you did in ISTA?
      10-20-2021, 01:19 PM   #39
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
Same here… just a clicking noise sometimes when car is not used for a while. No lights or any error codes.
I almost never get it during the warm months. Occasionally I'll hear it during the warmer months but it seems to happen during winter more (I'm in socal so when I mean winter i mean like 50-60F). Seems to go away during the 80-100F months. None of the click sounds occur when motor is running, only when the car has been "sleeping" and I unlock the car and/or open an unlocked door (trunk included).

No CEL for me ever, engine idles beautifully and zero stutters or anything throughout any of the RPM range. Will report back whenever / IF it ever changes to a CEL.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 01:32 PM   #40
Ajeje
Enlisted Member
San Marino
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
How did you do the Reset Procedure? Can you shed some more detail as in what you did in ISTA?
scan errors, after scan complete leave them go to Service plan mennu
engine eletronics -> valvetronic learn

but, for me, didnt' work because if error still present the procedure dont starts
need to be changed
Appreciate 1
gspannu198.50
      10-20-2021, 05:18 PM   #41
Pittz1
2018 M3 ZCP / 06 330xi
Rep
Drives: 330xi 2006 / 18 M3 ZCP

Now that the colder mornings are back, it is happening again. I will take it back to the dealer again and let them diagnose. I intentionally did this before my warranty expired to get it on record with them.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 09:04 PM   #42
chetman7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Heard this for the first time tonight as it's colder in NY. I was able to replicate it 100% of the time by unlocking my car. I was placing my ctek charger on the car and it was on for about 60 minutes, I was unable to replicate the sound after that. Cars been sitting for a while . Going to try to replicate it again by taking the tender off for a couple of days and try again.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 02:46 PM   #43
Gatoferoz25
BeastM3r
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 COMP

My car is suffering same symptoms. Took it to the dealer under warranty "expires end of Nov" even tho they r familiar with the issue they Kept car for about 3 weeks gave me an X1 as a loaner vehicle and told me they can't replace it cuse car is tune and been messed with computer.
      11-12-2021, 07:15 PM   #44
chetman7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

So I tested it again and left my car off the charger for 48 hours and it made the noise again.
I placed my car on the ctek charger and waited til it was charged and the noise stopped

Guess my noise must be different as it's linked to the battery somehow
Appreciate 0