European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-29-2021, 04:31 PM   #1
Swift.ww
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Drivetrain Malfunction / Dealer Voided Warranty

Hey BP,

Would appreciate any perspective on my current situation. For brief background, I have a 2018 M3 ZCP w/ DCT (30k miles) that is basically stock (only mod is a CSF heat exchanger that I upgraded after the stock one had a crack/leak).

Had dropped my car off to the dealership this morning since I had the following issues occur.

1. Drivetrain Malfunction: On the freeway when I had downshifted from 4th to 3rd and car goes into limp mode. CEL flashes then stays on. I'm <5 miles away from home so troop it back, taking it easy the whole time. At stops, the car would idle rough (flutter between 0.75 to 1.5 RPMs) like it was trying not to stall. Once I'm home, I turn off the car and back on to check things out and it starts normally (no CEL). Did that a few more times and then drove it around the block just to make sure. Seems okay for now.

2. 1 week later, randomly in a grocery parking lot, the car almost doesn't start up / turn over -- took about 10 sec where it was trying before finally starting. Odd and thought it might be the battery so drove a 15min route before heading home to keep things going. Turned the car on / off a few times once home just to check and starts normally.

3. 1 week later (again), not sure if related to any of the prior, but while putting my car from P to 1st, there appeared to be a louder/more prominent clunk noise to engage first gear. When I went to gas to move forward, the car seemed delayed and lurched forward harder (like it wasn't in gear properly) before going. It was a cold start so that might've been the case but not sure what happened there.

4. 3 days on start-up, car has CEL on the dash. Nothing out of the normal start-up (no rough idle or sounds) but there is now CEL.

Had tried to get an appt earlier right after the Drivetrain Malfunction but couldn't drop-off my car until today in hopes of getting a diagnostic. If anyone has ever experienced any of these issues, would love to hear your thoughts -- my current thinking was possibly a bad set of spark plugs (just replaced 1 year ago) or possibly the coil packs or fuel system.

Anyways, had hoped to get this diagnosed and fixed under warranty until my SA calls me up just now to tell me my car was flagged by BMW and drivetrain warranty is voided. Can't move forward at all in the process. Mind you, my car is completely stock except for the CSF heat exchanger and I am doubtful that caused any of the issues or would explicitly void ALL of my drivetrain warranty. I plan to dispute but this just seems way out of line -- any stories or feedback you guys have on this issue is appreciated as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 04:40 PM   #2
iamwingman
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Carrera S, 23 Tesla Model S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift.ww View Post
Hey BP,

Would appreciate any perspective on my current situation. For brief background, I have a 2018 M3 ZCP w/ DCT (30k miles) that is basically stock (only mod is a CSF heat exchanger that I upgraded after the stock one had a crack/leak).

Had dropped my car off to the dealership this morning since I had the following issues occur.

1. Drivetrain Malfunction: On the freeway when I had downshifted from 4th to 3rd and car goes into limp mode. CEL flashes then stays on. I'm <5 miles away from home so troop it back, taking it easy the whole time. At stops, the car would idle rough (flutter between 0.75 to 1.5 RPMs) like it was trying not to stall. Once I'm home, I turn off the car and back on to check things out and it starts normally (no CEL). Did that a few more times and then drove it around the block just to make sure. Seems okay for now.

2. 1 week later, randomly in a grocery parking lot, the car almost doesn't start up / turn over -- took about 10 sec where it was trying before finally starting. Odd and thought it might be the battery so drove a 15min route before heading home to keep things going. Turned the car on / off a few times once home just to check and starts normally.

3. 1 week later (again), not sure if related to any of the prior, but while putting my car from P to 1st, there appeared to be a louder/more prominent clunk noise to engage first gear. When I went to gas to move forward, the car seemed delayed and lurched forward harder (like it wasn't in gear properly) before going. It was a cold start so that might've been the case but not sure what happened there.

4. 3 days on start-up, car has CEL on the dash. Nothing out of the normal start-up (no rough idle or sounds) but there is now CEL.

Had tried to get an appt earlier right after the Drivetrain Malfunction but couldn't drop-off my car until today in hopes of getting a diagnostic. If anyone has ever experienced any of these issues, would love to hear your thoughts -- my current thinking was possibly a bad set of spark plugs (just replaced 1 year ago) or possibly the coil packs or fuel system.

Anyways, had hoped to get this diagnosed and fixed under warranty until my SA calls me up just now to tell me my car was flagged by BMW and drivetrain warranty is voided. Can't move forward at all in the process. Mind you, my car is completely stock except for the CSF heat exchanger and I am doubtful that caused any of the issues or would explicitly void ALL of my drivetrain warranty. I plan to dispute but this just seems way out of line -- any stories or feedback you guys have on this issue is appreciated as well.
They didn’t give you an explanation? They just said your car is flagged, no warranty? They didn’t tell what it was flagged for? When this flagging took place?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 04:50 PM   #3
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Are you the original owner?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 04:58 PM   #4
Swift.ww
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwingman View Post
They didn’t give you an explanation? They just said your car is flagged, no warranty? They didn’t tell what it was flagged for? When this flagging took place?
Correct. Literally didn't tell my why or how it was flagged, just said voided warranty can't proceed. I'm pushing back because there's just no reason I should have my warranty voided without any proof or explanation.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 05:00 PM   #5
Swift.ww
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
Are you the original owner?
I'm not, had bought it used but had asked the prior original owner if he modded/tuned and confirmed it didn't (obviously can't just take his word for it though). Had also done maintenance (i.e., oil changes, spark plugs) at BMW dealership before so it would've been flagged previously if I ever had a tune. The only new piece was my CSF heat exchanger which I upgraded to.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 05:24 PM   #6
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

It's super rare to find an F8x that was never tuned or modified in its lifetime, especially in California. You can take the previous owner to small claims court if:

1. Your SA is able to provide an explicit reason for the warranty denial
2. You have a clear/written confirmation from the PO that the drivetrain was never modified

Without powertrain warranty, it wouldn't make sense to let the dealership perform any repairs. I'd recommend contacting a few local shops like EAS, StudioRSR, Precision Dynamics, and etc for a diagnostic appointment. It sounds like your engine incurred an SCH, but hopefully my e-diagnosis is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 05:35 PM   #7
Swift.ww
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPiston View Post
It's super rare to find an F8x that was never tuned or modified in its lifetime, especially in California. You can take the previous owner to small claims court if:

2. You have a clear/written confirmation from the PO that the drivetrain was never modified

Without powertrain warranty, it wouldn't make sense to let the dealership perform any repairs. I'd recommend contacting a few local shops like EAS, StudioRSR, Precision Dynamics, and etc for a diagnostic appointment. It sounds like your engine incurred an SCH, but hopefully my e-diagnosis is wrong.
Thanks for the prognosis here, SCH is probs what I was most worried about but wasn't sure what the symptoms are. Funny enough, StudioRSR is my go to shop (previously installed my CSF heat exchanger) and was planning to do SCH upgrade later... just some time after my warranty expired lol
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 05:48 PM   #8
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift.ww View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPiston View Post

Thanks for the prognosis here, SCH is probs what I was most worried about but wasn't sure what the symptoms are. Funny enough, StudioRSR is my go to shop (previously installed my CSF heat exchanger) and was planning to do SCH upgrade later... just some time after my warranty expired lol
The symptoms you described are EXACTLY that of a SCH.
Appreciate 0