GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-01-2020, 07:57 AM   #1
xxHRxx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82

Chips on passenger rear Caliper

Hi Guys,

Just found out there are at least 6 chips on my passenger rear caliper. Never see them before, like it all popped out in a sudden.

I suspect it can be a rock that stuck in the inner ring of the wheel for a while and it flys&hits the caliper while the car is moving. Currently, no rocks are found inside the wheel.

I wonder if this is normal? Anyone here has experience with this? I already ordered the touch-up paint to see if I can save this. Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by xxHRxx; 08-01-2020 at 08:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 02:38 PM   #2
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxHRxx View Post
Hi Guys,

Just found out there are at least 6 chips on my passenger rear caliper. Never see them before, like it all popped out in a sudden.

I suspect it can be a rock that stuck in the inner ring of the wheel for a while and it flys&hits the caliper while the car is moving. Currently, no rocks are found inside the wheel.

I wonder if this is normal? Anyone here has experience with this? I already ordered the touch-up paint to see if I can save this. Thanks.
xxHRxx What touch up paint did you order? I may be daft, but I cannot find it for the life of me and found this thread through the search function. Also, if you applied, did it work well?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 10:11 AM   #3
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/F15 X5

I've been using Dr. ColorChip Step 1 for this. Paint code B45. Seems to work and hold up; however, I have considerably smaller chips than what you have. And that is not normal.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2020, 01:45 PM   #4
xxHRxx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
xxHRxx What touch up paint did you order? I may be daft, but I cannot find it for the life of me and found this thread through the search function. Also, if you applied, did it work well?
I ordered the OEM BMW touch-up paint with the color Monte Carlo Blue metallic(that's the color of OEM caliper). Haven't applied it yet since I am going to repaint the caliper in red next year.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 01:48 PM   #5
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxHRxx View Post
Quote:
I ordered the OEM BMW touch-up paint with the color Monte Carlo Blue metallic(that's the color of OEM caliper). Haven't applied it yet since I am going to repaint the caliper in red next year.
Interesting. I ordered that color and it couldn't have been further off. Frustrating! I have since ordered estoril blue 2 as many quoted that to be a good match. Here's to hoping!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 01:51 PM   #6
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Have you had brake or tire work done recently? Seems odd to have multiple chips...,,
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 01:55 PM   #7
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
yanno, at first glance i thought that looked like you got peppered with small caliber gravel, closer look reveals those thin 'trails' connecting the white or light blue spots. any chance that's something ON the caliper and not chips? splattered paint? liquid wax?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 03:41 PM   #8
xxHRxx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icegrill View Post
Have you had brake or tire work done recently? Seems odd to have multiple chips...,,
This is the pic back in August when I just get my car from the shop after four wheels got stolen. The shop gets new wheels installed and repaired some parts of the rotors. Maybe it is caused by the shop.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 03:43 PM   #9
xxHRxx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
yanno, at first glance i thought that looked like you got peppered with small caliber gravel, closer look reveals those thin 'trails' connecting the white or light blue spots. any chance that's something ON the caliper and not chips? splattered paint? liquid wax?
I checked and touched them, they are real chips. The superficial layer is gone.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 03:45 PM   #10
xxHRxx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. I ordered that color and it couldn't have been further off. Frustrating! I have since ordered estoril blue 2 as many quoted that to be a good match. Here's to hoping!
Sorry to hear the color does not match. I didn't even open the box to check after I received the touch-up paint. Let's hope the new color matches!
Appreciate 1