European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

05-15-2019, 08:58 PM   #1
RustySeatbelt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Repair or new wheels? Damage on 666m's

Excellent way to end the day! Had a blowout so got my car towed to get new tires put on. Once the car had been pulled into the bay I noticed the damage on the rear rims immediately. My guess is that this is due to them using the straps that go throuhg the wheels and getting careless. I'm currently talking with the tow company about getting this resolved, but wanted some opinions. Based on the pictures is this something a wheel refinish will fix, or do you think it's going to take new rims?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 10:15 PM   #2
jdgamble
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 CQM M3 - My family car

Dude why are people such hacks? I basically trust nobody with me car.

I would think a wheel shop could fix that pretty easily, but if not, make them buy you new ones.
Appreciate 1
icegrill115.50

05-15-2019, 10:40 PM   #3
icegrill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgamble View Post
Dude why are people such hacks? I basically trust nobody with me car.

I would think a wheel shop could fix that pretty easily, but if not, make them buy you new ones.
I know! I don't even want to take my car in for service because I'm so afraid of having something happen to it in the shop.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 10:50 PM   #4
xsracer
Private
Rep
Drives: 328

Your best bet is to go to a shop that fixes wheel and see if they can do it. Scratches are easily fixed but not sure they can fix that gash. They'd have to shave quite a lot. Of course, they could just make it look nicer but might be still visible. Don't go through a dealer though. I think most of them outsource to other people for that. And their shop might not be as good as the one you find. I've had 437 wheel fixed by a dealer they they couldn't match darker shade. Had to send it back to redo it until they got it right.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 08:30 AM   #5
RustySeatbelt
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thank you everyone. The suggestion I've made to the tow company is to let me take the car to a wheel shop that is local to get a bid on the fix. If they can fix it then I will accept the fix. If they say they can't then I'm asking them to purchase two new wheels.

I still have concerns about the fix, but honestly I'd just rather get this fixed. Was quite the day... blown tire, damage to wheels, and they stripped a wheel bolt on driver's front so I also have to get a new hub....
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 10:20 AM   #6
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

looks fixable, but as mentioned, that gouge would need to be filled for aesthetics because grinding that much out will leave a nasty dip in the metal.

did they use chains, or a strap? I can see a strap scratching, but not doing this damage.

after looking at it more, I dont see how this could have been caused from the strap tiedown UNLESS it wasn't the strap or chain, but the ratchet used to tighten the strap. If so, carelessness for sure
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 10:30 AM   #7
RustySeatbelt
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
looks fixable, but as mentioned, that gouge would need to be filled for aesthetics because grinding that much out will leave a nasty dip in the metal.

did they use chains, or a strap? I can see a strap scratching, but not doing this damage.

after looking at it more, I dont see how this could have been caused from the strap tiedown UNLESS it wasn't the strap or chain, but the ratchet used to tighten the strap. If so, carelessness for sure
They used a strap. That's what I think as well. I don't see any way the strap could do the damage done on the driver rear, so it had to be the ratchet. On the passenger rear it's just some scratches. I'm still not sure how this happened, but being that they're not deep scratches I'm guessing it was the starp itself. Maybe something was on it? I take meticulous care of my cars, so I know this wasn't there before. Just really frustrating to have to deal with this. The tow company says they need to review their video, so hopefully they make it right.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 10:32 AM   #8
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

the scratches on the wheel are from the strap and your wheels being dirty

ALWAYS ask tow drivers NOT to go through your wheels for this reason. there are suspension points to use, frame rails, etc. wheels are just easiest
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #9
RustySeatbelt
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
the scratches on the wheel are from the strap and your wheels being dirty

ALWAYS ask tow drivers NOT to go through your wheels for this reason. there are suspension points to use, frame rails, etc. wheels are just easiest
Yeah I think in general it's just time to buy a trailer and start doing this myself. Whether is be towing, or shipping, I've never had good experiences with either. Seems like people just honestly don't care about taking care of someone else's property anymore.
Appreciate 0