proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-02-2019, 08:56 PM   #1
kim@supremepower
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP 6MT

Bilstein B16 with damptronic and Work wheels install today

Write up on the Bilstein with damptronic coming soon. But initial thoughts......
I'm in LOVE!

Sorry for the dirty car, impromptu picture.

Appreciate 3
shay2nak1070.00
Lienrocs701.00
      05-02-2019, 10:35 PM   #2
tooshay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20+M3 badge

Looking good. Can’t wait for the review.
      05-02-2019, 11:09 PM   #3
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Welcome to the Damptronic club

This is Julian BTw the guy that bought that extra set from you haha
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2019, 11:38 PM   #4
kim@supremepower
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Welcome to the Damptronic club

This is Julian BTw the guy that bought that extra set from you haha
Julian! Hi friend!

You weren't lying when you said you loved the ride. I do too! Stop by and visit soon.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2019, 12:33 AM   #5
ra2289
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Review ready yet?

J/k but can't wait, been hoping for some feedback on these coils.

Just curious, is availability getting any better?
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2019, 12:35 AM   #6
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Look forward to the review.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2019, 12:37 AM   #7
kim@supremepower
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2289 View Post
Review ready yet?

J/k but can't wait, been hoping for some feedback on these coils.

Just curious, is availability getting any better?
Hahaha!

I have it all written out for the most part, but will finish it up and post after I drive to work in comfort mode to conclude.

Also if you're local, you're more than welcome to stop by and test drive.

Availability is good on our end.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 01:08 AM   #8
ra2289
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Not local unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 01:37 AM   #9
tooshay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20+M3 badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim@supremepower View Post
Hahaha!

I have it all written out for the most part, but will finish it up and post after I drive to work in comfort mode to conclude.

Also if you're local, you're more than welcome to stop by and test drive.

Availability is good on our end.
You have some in stock? Any special for bimmerfest coming?
      05-03-2019, 08:22 AM   #10
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Is this the car which was sitting on ED springs before?

-On the pic, is max drip in the front? Can you go lower than ED springs?

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2019, 08:29 AM   #11
kim@supremepower
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
Is this the car which was sitting on ED springs before?

-On the pic, is max drip in the front? Can you go lower than ED springs?

Thanks
Yes this is the same car. You can go about 2 more thread turns to bottom out. As is on the picture, I'm the same height as my EMD set up. A tad lower even.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2019, 09:12 AM   #12
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Yes this is the same car. You can go about 2 more thread turns to bottom out. As is on the picture, I'm the same height as my EMD set up. A tad lower even.
Nice! Any side view pics ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 09:21 AM   #13
kim@supremepower
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
Quote:
Nice! Any side view pics ?

Thanks
Will get some today for you as well as update my post with my write up.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 01:56 PM   #14
kim@supremepower
Rep

Write-up

Bilstein B16 Damptronics EDC Coilover Driving Impressions

The numbers:

Post installation ride height measured from center cap to top of fender:
Front: 13.5”
Rear: 12.5”
Front clearance (measured from bottom of splitter to ground): 4.25”

Wheels: Work wheels 20x9.5 (F) 20x11 (R) on factory Michelin Super Sports (Comp wheels)

Installation is pretty straightforward, nothing new here if you’re familiar with installing suspension on this chassis. The great thing about this Bilstein kit and it’s selling point, is that it is “plug and play” into the factory EDC system. No codes or coding out, just a smooth transition into the functionality of EDC. As always with installation, be sure to use caution and not pinch any of the wiring harness. Plan about 4-5 hours to do this properly and have time to adjust your ride heights.

Initial Driving impressions:

A little background on myself: 2018 F80, Competition package, 6 speed manual. When I wasn’t in a phase in my life where I was driving a “Mom mobile” it was always important for me to be able to feel the road I drive on. I can’t stand floaty suspension, it feels so unsafe to me. I drive my car only in Sport +. It’s all or nothing with me. I am also an on-ramp hunter and love to drive my F80 to its full potential. Also my daily driver and kid hauler.

Since acquiring the car I’ve never had it in any other mode other than Sport+, so I can’t give you an impressions on how it rides in Comfort and Sport mode. I went from EMD springs to the Bilstein kit. So it’s literally a night and day difference for me. With the Bilstein kit and EDC set to Sport +, it’s a solid ride. The car feels absolutely planted on the road. When I was riding on springs only, there were always parts on certain roads that I would “brace” for. I no longer need to brace for anything. I decided last night to take the roads I avoided on my way home, and just mob them with this new set up. Handled like a champ. This suspension just handles it, while keeping your car stable and planted.

The last 10 miles of my drive in this morning, I switched to comfort mode. It’s hard to really judge when you are driving freeway miles. In general I feel like it’s hard to really even judge the comfort settings unless you specifically take it on some technical roads or canyons. Either way you won’t find me out of Sport +. I feel like my car is a whole new beast with this proper set up. Hope this gives you all a little insight on this set up.
Appreciate 5
David0ff1055.00
ra2289302.00
hellokitty2883.50
      05-07-2019, 03:42 PM   #15
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Bilstein B16 Damptronics EDC Coilover Driving Impressions

The numbers:

Post installation ride height measured from center cap to top of fender:
Front: 13.5”
Rear: 12.5”
Front clearance (measured from bottom of splitter to ground): 4.25”

Wheels: Work wheels 20x9.5 (F) 20x11 (R) on factory Michelin Super Sports (Comp wheels)

Installation is pretty straightforward, nothing new here if you’re familiar with installing suspension on this chassis. The great thing about this Bilstein kit and it’s selling point, is that it is “plug and play” into the factory EDC system. No codes or coding out, just a smooth transition into the functionality of EDC. As always with installation, be sure to use caution and not pinch any of the wiring harness. Plan about 4-5 hours to do this properly and have time to adjust your ride heights.

Initial Driving impressions:

A little background on myself: 2018 F80, Competition package, 6 speed manual. When I wasn’t in a phase in my life where I was driving a “Mom mobile” it was always important for me to be able to feel the road I drive on. I can’t stand floaty suspension, it feels so unsafe to me. I drive my car only in Sport +. It’s all or nothing with me. I am also an on-ramp hunter and love to drive my F80 to its full potential. Also my daily driver and kid hauler.

Since acquiring the car I’ve never had it in any other mode other than Sport+, so I can’t give you an impressions on how it rides in Comfort and Sport mode. I went from EMD springs to the Bilstein kit. So it’s literally a night and day difference for me. With the Bilstein kit and EDC set to Sport +, it’s a solid ride. The car feels absolutely planted on the road. When I was riding on springs only, there were always parts on certain roads that I would “brace” for. I no longer need to brace for anything. I decided last night to take the roads I avoided on my way home, and just mob them with this new set up. Handled like a champ. This suspension just handles it, while keeping your car stable and planted.

The last 10 miles of my drive in this morning, I switched to comfort mode. It’s hard to really judge when you are driving freeway miles. In general I feel like it’s hard to really even judge the comfort settings unless you specifically take it on some technical roads or canyons. Either way you won’t find me out of Sport +. I feel like my car is a whole new beast with this proper set up. Hope this gives you all a little insight on this set up.
Thank you for your review. A lot of people have been looking forward to this day.

You have the rarest set of F80 dampers in the United States; the main selling point of which is that they will integrate with the OEM EDC. But you never drive in any other setting than Sport +?
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2019, 04:25 PM   #16
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

Can you PM me the price for this kit and if you have suggestions on installers in Seattle?

Also, if you don't plug in EDC, I believe the B16s run in "Sports+" mode by default according to Bilstein docs. So non EDC cars can still technically use this suspension
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 05:28 PM   #17
kim@supremepower
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
Thank you for your review. A lot of people have been looking forward to this day.

You have the rarest set of F80 dampers in the United States; the main selling point of which is that they will integrate with the OEM EDC. But you never drive in any other setting than Sport +?
My pleasure!

I'm probably one of the odd ones out, that only drives in Sport+. Maybe I can attribute this to rebelling against my 15 years of having to drive a "Mom mobile"
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 07:10 PM   #18
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danchee View Post
Also, if you don't plug in EDC, I believe the B16s run in "Sports+" mode by default according to Bilstein docs. So non EDC cars can still technically use this suspension
Sport+ and unplugged are two different things. When EDC dampers are unplugged their default state if full stiff/highest compression/rebound rates. Sport+ won't be full stiff 100% of the time (and probably isn't close to that very often) because that would just be poor damping tuning.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 11:17 AM   #19
M3nmotion18
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 IR ZCP BM3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [9.87]
2021 MINI COOPER  [10.00]
2023 GENESIS GV60  [10.00]
2017 LEXUS RX350  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danchee View Post
Can you PM me the price for this kit and if you have suggestions on installers in Seattle?

Hello,

I'm interested in this set up as well and you can probably go with Achtuning in Redmond or Cantrell motorsports in Bellevue (this is shop is expensive but does excellent jobs).
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 11:52 AM   #20
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3nmotion18 View Post
Hello,

I'm interested in this set up as well and you can probably go with Achtuning in Redmond or Cantrell motorsports in Bellevue (this is shop is expensive but does excellent jobs).
Thanks! Kim PM'ed me the price and I've started my B16 piggy bank account to purchase
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 12:50 AM   #21
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Any update to the review as the coilovers break in?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 01:13 AM   #22
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320 Si, BMW M4 comp. BMW M

Quote:
My pleasure!

I'm probably one of the odd ones out, that only drives in Sport+. Maybe I can attribute this to rebelling against my 15 years of having to drive a "Mom mobile"
Hi, Johnny from Sweden here. Thanks for the Review, very intresting. I'm also intrested in this kit. One of the things i don't really like with my M4 is that you don't really feel trust with the rearend when you push the car, especially on bumpy roads. the torque delivery is quite abrupt and the car doesn't really "tell you" what's going to happen. I feel that it doesn't really communicate with the driver. Would you say that this is improved much over the stock damping and caracter of the car?
Appreciate 0