European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

09-14-2019, 08:38 AM   #1
SCS55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90,F30, F80

Lately it seems like every post I make on this forum is always related to service issues or install issues so here I go again....

I suffered major damage to my left rear sidewall after running over a piece of metal on the road. Both Pilot Super Sports were at a 4/32's approaching 3's so to maintain continuity I purchased with much trepidation, 2 rear 275's Michelin A/S 3+'s from a local Tire Kingdom.

The damage occurred this past Tuesday night near my house so I was able to swap out the flat on the side of the road with my 335's left rear, drove the M3 home, parked it in the garage and the next day hunted for a replacement set of rears before an upcoming Friday afternoon trip. BMW wouldn't have either Super Sports or A/S 3's until Monday, Tire Rack said maybe Saturday, so after having the car on jacks since Tuesday night I reluctantly had to use Tire Kingdom for the purchase and mounting.

After the install and wheel damage, (they nicked a rim and a spoke even after taping the perimeter and politely asking them to not destroy my Mint wheels), I noticed they have a manufactured date of January 2017. That's well over 2 1/2 years old and of course I was charged $1.00 per tire for "Florida New Tire Fee". I think the invoice should have an asterisk stating " Florida New Old Stock Fee".

Anyways, for those of you who have purchased tires in the past, from either Tire Rack, Tire King, Discount Tire etc. have you been able to get fresh tires meaning relatively new within the last six months or at least within a year?

And yes, I have several issues with the shop install/mounting which I'm currently getting rectified including having them make do on the damage to the wheels and the condition of their business....swirling trash in the work bays, indifferent tire techs who look at you like your crazy when asking them to be careful with your wheels. Loose lug nuts, screws, and parts of lead weights laying all over the parking lot etc....but at this point, any further questions I ask are answered with complete B S.

I should've known better.

Thx for any input.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 01:43 PM   #2
cbrtrx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw m4

I always get fresh tires from tire rack, not only do the tell me the date codes before they ship but they will pull the newest ones if you ask for them.
Appreciate 3
      09-14-2019, 04:57 PM   #3
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrtrx View Post
I always get fresh tires from tire rack, not only do the tell me the date codes before they ship but they will pull the newest ones if you ask for them.
This is something I hadn’t considered before. Good idea.
Appreciate 1
SCS55291.00
      09-14-2019, 05:55 PM   #4
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

Haven't gotten a new set for the F80 yet but when I replaced them on my E92 I never got anything older than a couple of months. That car used very common size which help keep turn around time low.
Appreciate 1
N55Msport185.50
      09-25-2019, 05:35 PM   #5
SCS55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90,F30, F80

Update: After politely explaining my disappointment with the wheel damage, the manager offered a free tire on the front set purchase. Basically two for one. Monday I'll be having the dealer fit the front end with AS 3 +'s to match the rears followed by an alignment.

When I placed the order I asked for the most recent batch available and scored with a July 19' set!
Now to figure out how to repair nicked style 513's?
Appreciate 0