R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-12-2021, 08:54 AM   #1
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 428i Xdrive

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i xdrive  [0.00]
2013 128i  [0.00]
MyBMW vs connected drive

Hey y'all,

I just posted this on the 3 and 4'er forum and wanted to spread my post so everyone can get a quick look at the new app

The new app just released and you can get it at this link if you scan it off another device

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bmw...w-app.amp.html

I've been playing around with it and here's my findings so far

1. Responsiveness is roughly the same if not a little better. With connected drive it could take as little as 15 seconds, or as much as 2 or 3 minutes if I'm really paying attention to send remote actions to the car

2. Still no customization
The biggest thing I wanted was the ability to change the way my car looked. Something as simple as changing the wheels or just being able to say the car isn't stock anymore would be awesome. I know it's not hard as many of us do OEM upgrades like 437m wheels or adding a little spoiler or even m sport conversion kits. Wouldn't it be awesome if we could change our cars in the app to reflect that change?

3. It's just a UI change
So with connected drive I only had access to the remote services and the most basic of access. No mileage counter, I can't see my fuel levels, or even what I was most excited about, seeing the status of my car like maintenance schedules or if a door is open. I think this is due to my car being a 2014 so maybe it's just not possible, or because the app is brand new to the US, but the rest of the world has it!!

Other than that I think #3 is the most indicative of how this app is. To me at least it's no more than a UI change to look newer and more related to current bmw styling. While I'm not mad that there's no new options available to me like mentioned previously, I'm simply disappointed that the app marketed to replace that godforsaken connected drive is literally the same and that they've had YEARS to fix

I hope you all with newer vehicles have better luck with it, I will have to wait and see if more features are rolled out later.
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 11:55 AM   #2
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacinto View Post
Hey y'all,

I just posted this on the 3 and 4'er forum and wanted to spread my post so everyone can get a quick look at the new app

The new app just released and you can get it at this link if you scan it off another device

1. Responsiveness is roughly the same if not a little better. With connected drive it could take as little as 15 seconds, or as much as 2 or 3 minutes if I'm really paying attention to send remote actions to the car

The biggest thing I wanted was the ability to change the way my car looked. Something as simple as changing the wheels or just being able to say the car isn't stock anymore would be awesome. I know it's not hard as many of us do OEM upgrades like 437m wheels or adding a little spoiler or even m sport conversion kits. Wouldn't it be awesome if we could change our cars in the app to reflect that change?

3. It's just a UI change
So with connected drive I only had access to the remote services and the most basic of access. No mileage counter, I can't see my fuel levels, or even what I was most excited about, seeing the status of my car like maintenance schedules or if a door is open. I think this is due to my car being a 2014 so maybe it's just not possible, or because the app is brand new to the US, but the rest of the world has it!!

Other than that I think #3 is the most indicative of how this app is. To me at least it's no more than a UI change to look newer and more related to current bmw styling. While I'm not mad that there's no new options available to me like mentioned previously, I'm simply disappointed that the app marketed to replace that godforsaken connected drive is literally the same and that they've had YEARS to fix

I hope you all with newer vehicles have better luck with it, I will have to wait and see if more features are rolled out later.
I just downloaded this and it does look better than connected services and it's a bit faster.

I noticed they took out a few things like I cannot see the status of like my trunk and hood anymore. Only shows doors and windows.

Check control only shows engine oil and no longer shows tire pressure.

Remote horn is gone now.

There is no customization on the car

Also, not sure why the app requests access to photos? It doesn't have any feature or option for photos.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
zamboni1127.50
      04-13-2021, 12:03 PM   #3
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 428i Xdrive

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i xdrive  [0.00]
2013 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacinto View Post
Hey y'all,

3. It's just a UI change

I just downloaded this and it does look better than connected services and it's a bit faster.

I noticed they took out a few things like I cannot see the status of like my trunk and hood anymore. Only shows doors and windows.

Remote horn is gone now.

Also, not sure why the app requests access to photos? It doesn't have any feature or option for photos.
Lol the only picture setting is for your personal profile pic, I just set it to my car now since like you said we can't customize our car's appearance
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 01:01 PM   #4
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post

Remote horn is gone now.

Thanks for the updated my guest is to stay with Connected drive for now.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 02:50 PM   #5
00SH4WN
We are what we allow ourselves to be...
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY20 F82 SMB ZCP

Garage List
2020 M4  [10.00]
I checked it out. I find google and apple maps easier to use so I like that that brought back the feature which allows you to search for a location in those apps and then share that location with the MyBMW app, which in turn opens it up in that app and queues it up to send to your vehicle.