Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

06-11-2014, 07:51 AM   #67
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
The sampling rate is 20hz and you can look at the graph on any scale and there is no interruption of acceleration only a slight change of acc slope . And my butt o meter doesn't detect a momentary coasting , the DCT in S3 at redline shifts faster than my 2007 E 92 M3 and my 2010 GTR did I according to my butt on meter and data logging . Sure at 20 times a second there is a gap in the data but less than .05 seconds is not detectable by me .
Interesting. Unless your M-DCT is an entirely different concept and specification to that in my E92 M3, I find it nearly inconceivable that you don't feel the shifts. I know the unit has been improved, as pretty well all products do from generation to generation. However, I think it is fair to call this evolution in DCTs, not a revolution (again from E92 M3 to M6). I suppose you can debate "feeling the shift" vs. "an interruption of power" vs. "feeling coasting" as being different, but to me they are one and the same.

Look, don't get me wrong, I am a HUGE DCT fan, of both the engineering and driver experience. The shifts in my car are impressively fast, but they do vary in swiftness and feel substantially depending on mode and throttle position. Although in general they are nearly seamless, my butt-o-meter nearly always tells me when shifts happen.
Oh I feel the shift mechanically, they are quite brutal at redline but do not detect any decrease in acceleration ( this is only the case at full throttle application , just like the older DCT units the shift speed/ firmness is related to throttle position and settings ) although I never use anything other than S3 . It is a totally new unit with new software and TCU , it's not surprising that they made improvements .Heck even though the M3/4 get the same unit they already have a nifty software upgrade that selects a more aggressive gear when braking heavily in D mode for track use . I always drive in Manual mode but that's a nice improvement , and I'm sure there are other software tweaks as well including a seemingly much improved LC .
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread