Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-03-2018, 02:16 AM   #23
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Remember this car has auto rev match on upshifts as well in Efficient and Sport. Change gear and wait for the RPMs to drop and it'll automatically hold the RPM at the right one where you can almost just dump the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 08:48 AM   #24
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerlx View Post
Remember this car has auto rev match on upshifts as well in Efficient and Sport. Change gear and wait for the RPMs to drop and it'll automatically hold the RPM at the right one where you can almost just dump the clutch.
Are you sure, i thought rev match is only for downshifts in Efficient and Sport.
      05-03-2018, 09:32 AM   #25
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerlx View Post
Are you sure, i thought rev match is only for downshifts in Efficient and Sport.
Yup try it. Just be super slow with shifting and you'll see the engine hold the rpm
Appreciate 1
boss2k1090.00
      05-03-2018, 10:00 AM   #26
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Think of it, how would the rev match work?

IMO it is quite simple, it simply matches the engine revs for the gear that is engaged while the clutch is depressed, regardless of an upshift or a downshift. On a normal upshift, you would not notice because the revs naturally drop, but if you drag the clutch release, you will notice the ECU will hold revs once they have come down sufficiently. Try it

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
boss2k1090.00
      05-03-2018, 07:45 PM   #27
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyMack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420Coupe View Post
What i've experienced unlike any other MT car i've driven, in 1st you can let off the clutch without giving it any gas and it will start rolling by itself. Whereas im used to having to give it slight gas to get it going. (for smooth DD off the line)

For a smooth transition into 2nd when launching you're going to have to feather both the clutch and gas in order to be able to get a smooth engagement. More so feathering clutch and just letting gas back to about 45-65% then slowly and consistently stepping down on the gas.

Not sure if that makes sense but it's a practice of simultaneously basically burning a little bit of clutch to get the smooth engagement of clutch and giving it gas. (it's either the clutch taking the hit or drivetrain)
Strange every MT I've ever driven operated no differently then the f80. Feathering the clutch gets 1st to partially engage without gas making low speed maneuvering easier. It could be brand specific I guess my experience is limited to BMW, Nissan, Toyota, and Honda MT's
+1

Any proficient MT driver should be able to slowly release the clutch on a smooth surface and get a car moving. No need for any gas. The F8x is no different than any other MT car I have owned.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 08:02 PM   #28
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

The ECU adds a bit of throttle on clutch engagement automatically (in Efficient and Sport)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 08:15 PM   #29
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Strange every MT I've ever driven operated no differently then the f80. Feathering the clutch gets 1st to partially engage without gas making low speed maneuvering easier. It could be brand specific I guess my experience is limited to BMW, Nissan, Toyota, and Honda MT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
+1

Any proficient MT driver should be able to slowly release the clutch on a smooth surface and get a car moving. No need for any gas. The F8x is no different than any other MT car I have owned.
+2

All electronically fuel injected MT cars I have driven did this. I could even shift into 2nd and even 3rd without touching the gas pedal (for puttering in slow moving traffic jams).

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 08:25 PM   #30
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

The clutch contact point is pretty high, thus easier controlled with a further back seated position. No need to hit the floor with clutch travel. This gets me away smoothly most of the time, 1 to 2nd gear. Took me some time, trial and error, to get the exact seat position to make this work.
      05-03-2018, 08:30 PM   #31
Nicky_do_it
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP manual (previous)

I disengage the clutch almost immediately at low rpm then increasingly modulate the power without any of the nannies. There is much low end torque, winding it out and feathering the clutch isn’t ideal in my opinion. Tire temp is key though. At light with a GTR a while go which is the worst scenario possible. I had the perfect launch. I jammed it in second at about 7500 but spun the tires for a bit. That slight spin set me back a half a car length. He held me thru third but backed off before going into fourth. Older GTR and maybe he was toying with me, I don’t know. Btw, I don’t experiencing the bucking in second as some others have mentioned.

Last edited by Nicky_do_it; 05-03-2018 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 11:37 PM   #32
M4lifestyle
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
The clutch contact point is pretty high, thus easier controlled with a further back seated position. No need to hit the floor with clutch travel. This gets me away smoothly most of the time, 1 to 2nd gear. Took me some time, trial and error, to get the exact seat position to make this work.
I was thinking about what you mentioned the first few days with my M4 and then i stop thinking about this and concluded it could be me not use to the car.

Can I conclude that I dont need to floor down completely when change gear? Will this damage the clutch? I totally agree the contact point is super high we wasted so much time step the clutch all the way to the floor and release slowly toward the end of a release.. if I dont need to floor the clutch all the way would be something new for me. Please feel free to comment.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 12:56 AM   #33
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Am4zinlyfast
Try a Burger motor sports clutch stop for 10 bucks. It will eliminate some of that dead space.

http://www.burgertuning.com/clutch_stop_BMW.html
Appreciate 1
jc05e46m3847.50
      05-04-2018, 08:28 AM   #34
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am4zinlyfast View Post
I was thinking about what you mentioned the first few days with my M4 and then i stop thinking about this and concluded it could be me not use to the car.

Can I conclude that I dont need to floor down completely when change gear? Will this damage the clutch? I totally agree the contact point is super high we wasted so much time step the clutch all the way to the floor and release slowly toward the end of a release.. if I dont need to floor the clutch all the way would be something new for me. Please feel free to comment.
As long as you don’t hear gears grinding I’m sure you are ok, if this is wrong I hope others will correct me.

Seat position is somewhat irrelevant but for me it helped if I was seated further back. My seat position is back far enough so I barely touch the floor when fully extended on the clutch. This position gives me better control with clutch travel when it engages so high up the range but for others it could be different. I think what we are looking for here is knowing the engagement point, going just beyond it to shift and then having less peddle travel returning back out. Think of it as having better control over your leg motion because the degree of knee bend is less at the point of engagement.

As I said in my original response, it took me some trial and error but I finally got adjusted to be able to minimize jerking from 1 to 2nd gear, and I’ve been driving MTs for 30 yrs. My MTs in past had contact points much further down closer to the floor, my f80 is the first one that I’ve owned set up this way.

I hope this all made sense, as simple as it is, it’s hard to explain unless you are in the car and experimenting. So for me it works, others it may not, yes it goes against conventional wisdom, but it might work for you.
      05-04-2018, 09:37 AM   #35
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Are we talking mostly about normal driving or actual launching and racing? Because for normal driving in Efficient or Sport it literally takes no brain power to shift smoothly from 1-2 for me because of the auto rev match.
Appreciate 2
      05-04-2018, 10:07 AM   #36
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

I Shift at about 6800. I feel like once it passes this point the benefit of being at an incrementally higher rpm in 2nd is diminished.

And if you're "launching" the car, I don't even burn rubber....I time the release in 1st Then, as others have mentioned here, there is a sweet spot of "slow releasing" the clutch to engage 2nd properly.
      05-04-2018, 10:22 AM   #37
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
+2

All electronically fuel injected MT cars I have driven did this. I could even shift into 2nd and even 3rd without touching the gas pedal (for puttering in slow moving traffic jams).
Just adding on this. If you can't start a manual in first without the gas, this is probably the reason you can't shift smoothly.

For everyone else having shifting problems; Idk if you guys haven't put many miles on your cars, but I had the same problems for like the first 3k miles. Like I said earlier you have to be aware of your road conditions and tire temperatures. Also if you want butter smooth shifts you MUST release clutch while feathering in the gas. This is manual 101. You can't just let it rev-match. release clutch, then get back on throttle (I used to do this and the F80 has too much torque low end for this to be any stretch of smooth)

Feather the clutch and throttle---This is how you drive a manual smoothly.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 11:21 AM   #38
fabulousprofound
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

well, i learned something today. i didn't know this car rev matched on the upshift. i just thought it was rev hang.

i came from a 2015 mustang gt pp 6mt, and 1st gear was so short i usually started from 2nd gear from a dead stop. there was so much torque from the v8 i could just let out to clutch with no throttle and it was fine. but when i started driving the f80 this car wouldn't have any of that so i've had to relearn using 1st gear again for other than hard launches...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 05:57 PM   #39
RobbyMack
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 Sakhir

Quote:
Quote:

IMO it is quite simple, it simply matches the engine revs for the gear that is engaged while the clutch is depressed, regardless of an upshift or a downshift. On a normal upshift, you would not notice because the revs naturally drop, but if you drag the clutch release, you will notice the ECU will hold revs once they have come down sufficiently. Try it
+ 1 Stuck in stop and go traffic today and just let the rev match do it's thing, you can essentially just dump the clutch the second the revs start to hang on up shift. It's nice for lazy drives, traffic, or the occasional 4am milk run request from the mrs.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2018, 06:23 PM   #40
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+ 1 Stuck in stop and go traffic today and just let the rev match do it's thing, you can essentially just dump the clutch the second the revs start to hang on up shift. It's nice for lazy drives, traffic, or the occasional 4am milk run request from the mrs.
4am drives call for Sport+ DSC off
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 06:22 PM   #41
barnsdale
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6MT AY

Was reading some people’s feedback and defiantly shifts nice at 5500-6000 going 1st to 2nd.

Just got my M4 so having lots of fun learning best practices, also didn’t know it auto revved upshifts pretty cool.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 10:14 AM   #42
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep

barnsdale

For aggressive and fast or normal stoplight to the next?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 10:26 AM   #43
jdarwin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Convertible BSM DCT

I'm still in the break-in period - I'll come back and visit this topic once I have the car serviced.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 10:09 AM   #44
prodigymb
Captain
Rep
Drives: V10+ R8, 997TT, Plaid, G550

quick dump around 2200-2300 RPM I am able to get consistent 0-60mph in 4.4sec without 1ft roll out and 4.1sec with 1ft roll out. I shift to second at redline, and lower in all other gears. you don't wanna grab the next gear while the car is still spinning in first, that will eventually hurt the gearbox and syncros.
Appreciate 0