Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-17-2017, 09:54 AM   #23
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Good question. I am neither a lawyer nor from NC, but (k) in this sounds like its possible (if even the right statute - just did quick google search):

http://codes.findlaw.com/nc/chapter-...-20-141-5.html

That said, not sure how they apply the law, and it seems extreme to have property forfeiture for one violation. That's why I'm guessing they may eventually get their cars back, but at a steep price.

(On top of racing, I let these guys distract me today. Gotta get some work done!)
I tried to stay out of this one as there are many many unanswered questions regarding this incident.

I disagree with you calling it extreme just for one incident. Had they lost it and went across the median into oncoming traffic or just miscalculated and rear ended somebody people would've been dead. This type of behaviour has to stop on the public roads. It seems the big cities especially on the east and west coast has a big problem with groups of cars and motorcycles literally taking over public freeways for their own use. I'm not necessarily saying that is what happened here, as I said the story is very light on details. Eventually they are going to have to really crack down on it to get it to stop.

If the state does decide to move ahead and seize/forfeit these guys ownership of the cars it could come down to a simple math equation. Pay a lawyer to fight it and get your car back for thousands of dollars plus fines etc or try and cut the best deal possible and live and learn.

If it shakes out the way the story says I have zero sympathy for any of them. If you have that much money to buy these and cars and mod the hell out of them then just get a bunch of guys together and rent out a track. Then learn some self restraint to and from said track.

Last edited by minn19; 07-17-2017 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 7
RickFLM410974.50
myzmak2415.00
Zeroblade208.50
GrussGott18180.50
jmg18705.00
      07-17-2017, 09:55 AM   #24
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
A few comments on a Facebook group said that there were just 2 or 3 cars that were actually "racing" and they were the cars that got away from the cops.

The cops had shut down a section of highway to get the cars pulled over. Sounds like a woman called the cops on them for "racing" and a guy "hanging out of the window" who was likely getting photos of the cars rolling. It sounds like a lot of the cars that were stopped weren't the ones doing anything illegal.

Another person said there was absolutely no street racing and they weren't blocking up traffic, only doing a few pulls. But "pulls" counts as street racing in my eyes. A shitty situation for sure. But nothing pisses me off more than when a motorcycle crew blazes by me going 120, or how some of these Instagram guys show them weaving all through traffic cutting people off (mainly E9x guys up northeast). If these guys were doing pulls up to triple digits on a public highway I really can't feel bad for them. But if they truly were minding their own business and respecting the road, that sucks major.

I am NOT defending these guys at all, but let's be honest, i'd say 99% of M3/M4 owners have done a few triple digit "pulls" on their own. ANyone who owns this car has most likely hit 100+ mark at some point.

This is tough situation, they were all over social media, so people knew they were coming. Thats the time you want to be as careful as possible

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 2
MN2///M521.00
RowanBuds1707.00
      07-17-2017, 09:58 AM   #25
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz24 View Post
I am NOT defending these guys at all, but let's be honest, i'd say 99% of M3/M4 owners have done a few triple digit "pulls" on their own. ANyone who owns this car has most likely hit 100+ mark at some point.

This is tough situation, they were all over social media, so people knew they were coming. Thats the time you want to be as careful as possible
I think there is a difference between a solo driver doing a couple of quick pulls compared to a group of people doing what they allegedly did. Again, assuming they did do what they are accused of.
Appreciate 4
      07-17-2017, 10:01 AM   #26
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I think there is a difference between a solo driver doing a couple of quick pulls compared to a group of people doing what they allegedly did. Again, assuming they did do what they are accused of.
1000% agree. That was my point. Making a jackass of yourself on public roads with a massive group is wrong

2017 C63
2012 X5M
Appreciate 2
minn1914034.50
      07-17-2017, 10:09 AM   #27
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmarkeith View Post
Yes the changed seizure law here in NC last year. If you flee from law enforcement it automatically becomes property of the State. in this situation it's at the judges discretion to give the property back to individuals once all fines and citations have been paid, or he can order all property to be given to the State, in which they can sell at a state auction, or be used as law enforcement undercover vehicles. whatever they want to do at this point.
Good info.

If the report is accurate, and there were in fact people who got away, it doesn't seem too unreasonable for them to slap the eluding tag on them and attempt to keep the cars. Not to mention they'd all be felons.
      07-17-2017, 10:09 AM   #28
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Quote:
Good question. I am neither a lawyer nor from NC, but (k) in this sounds like its possible (if even the right statute - just did quick google search):

That said, not sure how they apply the law, and it seems extreme to have property forfeiture for one violation. That's why I'm guessing they may eventually get their cars back, but at a steep price.

(On top of racing, I let these guys distract me today. Gotta get some work done!)
I tried to stay out of this one as there are many many unanswered questions regarding this incident.

I disagree with you calling it extreme just for one incident. Had they lost it and went across the median into oncoming traffic or just miscalculated and rear ended somebody people would've been dead. This type of behaviour on the roads has to stop on the public roads. It seems the big cities especially on the east and west coast has a big problem with groups of cars and motorcycles literally taking over public freeways for their own use. I'm not necessarily saying that is what happened here, as I said the story is very light on details. Eventually they are going to have to really crack down on it to get it to stop.

If the state does decide to move ahead and seize/forfeit these guys ownership of the cars it could come down to a simple math equation. Pay a lawyer to fight it and get your car back for thousands of dollars plus fines etc or try and cut the best deal possible and live and learn.

If it shakes out the way the story says I have zero sympathy for any of them. If you have that much money to buy these and cars and mod the hell out of them then just get a bunch of guys together and rent out a track. Then learn some self restraint to and from said track.
I can't disagree with anything you said. It is difficult to judge what really happened and I have no sympathy if they were truly racing and putting others in danger.

That being said, it may seem extreme to forfeit property, when considering that other actions that put people at risk (distracted driving, DUI for example) do not necessarily result in property forfeiture on first offense if they put others at risk without actually causing harm. I'd agree with cracking down on all stupidity.
minn1914034.50
rr006rbc1204.00
      07-17-2017, 10:11 AM   #29
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I can't disagree with anything you said. It is difficult to judge what really happened and I have no sympathy if they were truly racing and putting others in danger.

That being said, it may seem extreme to forfeit property, when considering that other actions that put people at risk (distracted driving, DUI for example) do not necessarily result in property forfeiture on first offense if they put others at risk without actually causing harm. I'd agree with cracking down on all stupidity.
I agree, our DUI and accidents that were caused by distracted driving penalties are painfully lenient IMO.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410974.50
      07-17-2017, 10:18 AM   #30
bmrwrld
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

To much watching Fast & Furious movies.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 10:39 AM   #31
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

In the near future, NC will have 5 M's as unmarked cop cars...to the chagrin of stoners everywhere.
Appreciate 6
Thescout134947.00
Naz241627.50
jmg18705.00
stormlv932.00
JTK24121.00
      07-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #32
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:

As I read the section, the state would first have to prove that these particular guys were eluding them for these provisions to apply.

ie: you don't get your car seized for driving like a jackass, you DO if you try to elude being pulled over.

SO if these 5 that were impounded were just guys 'driving along' as part of a rally and not the ones trying to escape, they likely just get big fines and get their cars back (fines for blocking traffic, assuming that can be proved against them, or maybe speeding or stunting or whatever). That sort of 'automatic impounding' is catching on. In BC (neighboring province where I drive often) there is now an auto seizure and impounding if you are caught more than 40 km over the limit. not forfeiture, though, just your car is towed and you are left on the side of the road.

As I read that section of the NC statute, the seizure and forfeiture would only apply to those who were trying to get away - and it sounds like not all of those guys were clearly identified or caught.

To my mind, forfeiture of a car for speeding is overkill. However, forfeiture of a car for trying to evade the police is not. Put another way, if you are getting pulled over just take the fucking medicine for your conduct.
      07-17-2017, 11:45 AM   #33
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

How does seizure in NC work? Like is it a permanent seizure?

In Ontario Canada for example, even if you get caught for racing/or doing 50km/h over the posted limit, the police will impound the car for 7 days. But they would never seize it permanently.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 12:21 PM   #34
DBACE
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 LCI

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [10.00]
2005 CBR1000RR  [10.00]
1995 ST1100  [9.00]
2009 Camry Hybrid  [0.00]
Cool Devil's Advocate

Well, it seems pretty certain that folks were acting inappropriate on the streets (exceeding speed limits), perhaps not making good judgment decisions in engaging other drivers (holding traffic back so others could play) appropriately. What I want to know is what electronic media did the police confiscate that shows exactly what happened?

While many are saying keep the racing or spirited driving to the track, who here hasn't driven in such a manner that others would condemn you to being unworldly and stupid for exceeding speed or driving in a pack after leaving a driving event? Yet, you found yourself to be well in control of your car, because of your abilities and the car's capabilities, yet you did not jeopardize others?

After driving in Germany my eyes were opened and I found the streets here are clogged with an overabundance of incompetent drivers. (Watch a five corner intersection in Germany, if you can, it is humanity in motion with precision.) Our transportation infrastructure in the States is far too inadequate for us to effectively get those drivers off of the streets. We could drive with a heightened level of capability, while it may be increased risk, we won't get ourselves into legal woes. There seems to be some level of success of un-restricted zones on the various Autobahn's. (well some hum-dinger accidents too, but worth the risk)

Oh yeah, and more driver training that is meaningful and technical. Not today's "has a heart beat" qualifier to drive.

Last edited by DBACE; 07-17-2017 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: Additional Point
Appreciate 11
rr006rbc1204.00
Naz241627.50
CanAutM321116.50
GrussGott18180.50
stormlv932.00
mperfct35.00
RowanBuds1707.00
TI.3VOM73.50
      07-17-2017, 12:39 PM   #35
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrwrld View Post
To much watching Fast & Furious movies.

Looks like some of those cars are straight out of those movies or meant for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 12:45 PM   #36
bmrwrld
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Looks like some of those cars are straight out of those movies or meant for it.
Yes very cool looking M's. I'm glad to hear at least two of our brothers got away.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 12:48 PM   #37
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yes very cool looking M's. I'm glad to hear at least two of our brothers got away.
Disagree on both (for most of them anyway) and I wouldn't call them "brothers" for any reason.

I thought it was one, I'm guessing they'll get caught soon enough regardless.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 12:54 PM   #38
Foxyy
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBACE View Post
After driving in Germany my eyes were opened and I found the streets here are clogged with an overabundance of incompetent drivers. (Watch a five corner intersection in Germany, if you can, it is humanity in motion with precision.)
that is so far from reality from the perspective of being a german
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 12:57 PM   #39
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBACE View Post
Well, it seems pretty certain that folks were acting inappropriate on the streets (exceeding speed limits), perhaps not making good judgment decisions in engaging other drivers (holding traffic back so others could play) appropriately. What I want to know is what electronic media did the police confiscate that shows exactly what happened?

While many are saying keep the racing or spirited driving to the track, who here hasn't driven in such a manner that others would condemn you to being unworldly and stupid for exceeding speed or driving in a pack after leaving a driving event? Yet, you found yourself to be well in control of your car, because of your abilities and the car's capabilities, yet you did not jeopardize others?

After driving in Germany my eyes were opened and I found the streets here are clogged with an overabundance of incompetent drivers. (Watch a five corner intersection in Germany, if you can, it is humanity in motion with precision.) Our transportation infrastructure in the States is far too inadequate for us to effectively get those drivers off of the streets. We could drive with a heightened level of capability, while it may be increased risk, we won't get ourselves into legal woes. There seems to be some level of success of un-restricted zones on the various Autobahn's. (well some hum-dinger accidents too, but worth the risk)

Oh yeah, and more driver training that is meaningful and technical. Not today's "has a heart beat" qualifier to drive.
Very well put.

I believe in germany to get a license its a $3,000 endeavor with endless training, etc. As much as i would hate to have to go through that myself, i think in the USA it is currently warranted. We have what i like to call "traffic for no reason. Traffic that starts without an accident or catalyst.

I hope we can figure out a way to sort these things out, there are just far too many incompetent drivers around

2017 C63
2012 X5M
Appreciate 1
hanszilla281.50
      07-17-2017, 12:59 PM   #40
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
The ones that got away were two of the three that were racing and supposedly going 140mph on the highway. They hung the rest of the convoy out to dry.

At least one of the drivers turned over gopro footage to the cops... I can guarantee there is a lot more video footage since they were doing a shoot. I'm sure the cops will be knocking on their doors soon.
Appreciate 6
minn1914034.50
RickFLM410974.50
myzmak2415.00
GrussGott18180.50
stormlv932.00
      07-17-2017, 01:24 PM   #41
skyline408
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 2022 F95 X5M

OK, tell me how I can sell my F80 for 80-100K
Appreciate 5
Draper3460.50
stormlv932.00
cotmfk2049.50
MasterP721.00
IK6SPEED4488.00
      07-17-2017, 01:26 PM   #42
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

add stickers
Appreciate 1
minn1914034.50
      07-17-2017, 01:36 PM   #43
RobC2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: different makes and models.

Pretty crazy. I was going to go to that event.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 01:37 PM   #44
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Exactly the reason I never do caravans. Takes just one numbnut to ruin the whole experience. Love driving solo

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 4
Zeroblade208.50
minn1914034.50
BMWM5NYC496.00