HRE Wheels
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-18-2016, 11:08 AM   #1
Justablackf80
Second Lieutenant
138
Rep
227
Posts

Drives: BSM 2016 M3
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Philadelphia PA

iTrader: (0)

DCT - clunking sound when put in reverse

For the past week, ive been hearing clunk sounds when putting into reverse or at 2k rpm on 3rd gear and its constient.I have a DCT. Went to dealership and no error came up. Anyone else have this issue? Have a couple mods, jb4, fabspeed downpipes,fabspeed exhaust,springs, cosmetics.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Justablackf80; 04-18-2016 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 11:46 AM   #2
mdefalco25
Captain
mdefalco25's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
701
Posts

Drives: 16 AW F80
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Normal, IL

iTrader: (2)

I'm not speaking from experience, but could it be your downpipes? I've heard some complain that they bang around at certain RPMs but no idea if this is your issue. Perhaps list the brands of your downpipes and exhaust and maybe somebody can chime in. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 12:16 PM   #3
Justablackf80
Second Lieutenant
138
Rep
227
Posts

Drives: BSM 2016 M3
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Philadelphia PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdefalco25 View Post
I'm not speaking from experience, but could it be your downpipes? I've heard some complain that they bang around at certain RPMs but no idea if this is your issue. Perhaps list the brands of your downpipes and exhaust and maybe somebody can chime in. Good luck!
You might be spot on with this. As soon as i put downpipes on it started to make this sound. Ill look into this.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 12:45 PM   #4
beans150
Private
beans150's Avatar
30
Rep
42
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: b

iTrader: (0)

It could be some rocks stuck in your brake discs. Try nudging the discs to see if anything falls out. Or reverse and slam the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 12:56 PM   #5
Jerich0
Love to Drive
127
Rep
559
Posts

Drives: X4 & M4
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Around

iTrader: (2)

What dowpipes are you running?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #6
Justablackf80
Second Lieutenant
138
Rep
227
Posts

Drives: BSM 2016 M3
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Philadelphia PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerich0 View Post
What dowpipes are you running?
Running fabspeed downpipes
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 08:23 AM   #7
Justablackf80
Second Lieutenant
138
Rep
227
Posts

Drives: BSM 2016 M3
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Philadelphia PA

iTrader: (0)

Anyone else have this?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 08:27 AM   #8
mdemon
Captain
mdemon's Avatar
United_States
221
Rep
642
Posts

Drives: AY F80 M3
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Shelton CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justablackf80
Anyone else have this?
I hear clunking noise almost everyday. I don't have no mods. I have manual. Sometimes when I put car in sports mode it happens, sometimes reverse, sometimes rolling by downtown and it kicks in and people look at me like I committed a crime. In my mind I did.

It's so much out there and there is no real reason for it. It just happens. A lot of time we don't even know it happens because either we have our music up or the speakers feed us that exhaust note which cancels the outside noise.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have 14000 miles
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 08:35 AM   #9
Justablackf80
Second Lieutenant
138
Rep
227
Posts

Drives: BSM 2016 M3
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Philadelphia PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdemon View Post
I hear clunking noise almost everyday. I don't have no mods. I have manual. Sometimes when I put car in sports mode it happens, sometimes reverse, sometimes rolling by downtown and it kicks in and people look at me like I committed a crime. In my mind I did.

It's so much out there and there is no real reason for it. It just happens. A lot of time we don't even know it happens because either we have our music up or the speakers feed us that exhaust note which cancels the outside noise.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have 14000 miles
If it happens on random rpm then i wouldnt pay too mucb mind but its just always at the same gear and rpm
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 11:25 AM   #10
Bluex
Useful Idiot
Bluex's Avatar
United_States
1314
Rep
1,775
Posts

Drives: My wife and kids insane.
Join Date: May 2011
Location: West Chester, PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [5.00]
The clunking usually happens when one of the hamsters falls off the wheel and then gets shot like a cannon through the undercarriage.

This car makes all sorts of fun little noises.....most of them nothing to be concerned with.
__________________
2015 M3 Sakhir Orange ED Pickup 5/13/15

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 10:42 AM   #11
Justablackf80
Second Lieutenant
138
Rep
227
Posts

Drives: BSM 2016 M3
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Philadelphia PA

iTrader: (0)

Anyone else with this issue. Its clunk with a grind noise.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 11:00 AM   #12
rr006rbc
Colonel
United_States
1170
Rep
2,798
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M3 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (38)

More than likely it's due to one of your mods..check your exhaust brackets/hangars and the downpipe clearances with everything in the undercarriage.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 01:05 PM   #13
Bluex
Useful Idiot
Bluex's Avatar
United_States
1314
Rep
1,775
Posts

Drives: My wife and kids insane.
Join Date: May 2011
Location: West Chester, PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justablackf80 View Post
Running fabspeed downpipes
Incidentally, have you spoken to Fabspeed about this? Any updates?

I know Jason from there and was explaining this thread to him and he was puzzled. As he explained to me, it could possibly be a clamp of some sort, but absolutely encourages you to bring it in. Could be something very simple.
__________________
2015 M3 Sakhir Orange ED Pickup 5/13/15

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 03:51 PM   #14
F82Steve
New Member
F82Steve's Avatar
1
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M4
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Possibly Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justablackf80 View Post
For the past week, ive been hearing clunk sounds when putting into reverse or at 2k rpm on 3rd gear and its constient.I have a DCT. Went to dealership and no error came up. Anyone else have this issue? Have a couple mods, jb4, fabspeed downpipes,fabspeed exhaust,springs, cosmetics.
Thank you in advance.
I just received word from a trusted BMW M performance shop here in Germany. Turns out my rear differential is "Bad" and they are taking the car to the dealership to have it replaced under the warranty.

Once I figure out exactly went wrong I will post a reply with the details.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 06:02 PM   #15
TooFan328i
First Lieutenant
194
Rep
367
Posts

Drives: 2016 YMB M3
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: CNJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82Steve View Post
I just received word from a trusted BMW M performance shop here in Germany. Turns out my rear differential is "Bad" and they are taking the car to the dealership to have it replaced under the warranty.

Once I figure out exactly went wrong I will post a reply with the details.
I was about to post about the differential. I had the same issue with my e90, and the dealership replaced the differential. It was done under the warranty work/
.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 11:37 PM   #16
1M4
First Lieutenant
1M4's Avatar
122
Rep
363
Posts

Drives: 16 M4 Alp/Sakhir CF Roof 19"
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: My garage 🏠👈🏃😎

iTrader: (0)

Is there white smoke coming from the rear wheels

You might be a little heavy on the throttle
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 11:56 PM   #17
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
Alvinized52's Avatar
United_States
825
Rep
1,514
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 SSII
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [5.00]
I've been ignoring it... But reading this thread, im getting paranoid. I do hear clunking sounds too. But not grinding sounds... Mostly when i first gas the car after changing gears from reverse to drive... Or when i first step on gas at cold start (DcT). Is this normal? Or do i have a differential issue as welll?
__________________
2016 Satin SSII M4 (Instagram: @Ste4lthedF82)
see my featured mods below...
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1197842
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2016, 04:46 AM   #18
filelip
New Member
Germany
2
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: 428i F33,535d F10,M4
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Same problem here.
I got the dct, when i shut the engine off i can hear a clunk near the dct shift.
My dealer called bmw and they said its normal.
That sound comes from the carbon propshaft
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #19
Justablackf80
Second Lieutenant
138
Rep
227
Posts

Drives: BSM 2016 M3
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Philadelphia PA

iTrader: (0)

Quick update, took it to a dealer and now it's a major headache. Now they are saying the transmission and pressure valves are getting too hot. Still waiting for a full detailed resposnsr.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 07:37 PM   #20
Gcooper9
The wait was worth it
United_States
16
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: YMB F80
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Southeast

iTrader: (0)

It's normal. Try driving a GTR. It's like a mechanical symphony lol
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 04:04 PM   #21
FlyinRhy
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: M2 and Miniís
Join Date: May 2019
Location: NL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justablackf80 View Post
Quick update, took it to a dealer and now it's a major headache. Now they are saying the transmission and pressure valves are getting too hot. Still waiting for a full detailed resposnsr.
Did you resolve the issue? If so, what was it?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 05:35 PM   #22
Humdizzle
Captain
874
Rep
979
Posts

Drives: 2010 ferrari 458
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcooper9 View Post
It's normal. Try driving a GTR. It's like a mechanical symphony lol
lol I was about to say this. never heard it with an f80 car though.
__________________

2010 Ferrari 458
2015 SSII F80 6MT
2009 Honda Civic
Previous: E36 M3 | E46 M3 | R35 GTR | FR-S | F30 335i
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST