R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-20-2018, 02:42 PM   #1
Mike oxlong
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335d A M Sport highline

Garage List
BM3 OTS tune vs custom

Evening all,

I'm having my catless DP's, BMC drop in's, Eibachs and spacers fitted tomorrow (F80 ZCP)

At this level, is a custom tune worth the cost over the Stage2 OTS?
And..who is considered the best for custom tune?

99 RON UK car
      11-20-2018, 03:44 PM   #2
Shortyy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

A custom tune will be better but the OTS stage 2 map is very very good and unless you’re chasing times and figures I think you’ll be very happy with it.

I am from the UK too and currently run the OTS stage 2 93 map on my car with decats and drop in filters. It’s rapid and very consistent, it does 100-200kmh in 6.8 seconds.

I have seen custom stage 2 flashes on UK 99 Ron fuel do 6.2-6.4 100-200 so faster but it shows how good the OTS flash is.

Of course on E85 these cars go a good chunk faster again, but sadly we don’t get E85 at the pumps like the yank boys and it’s vey expensive for us to buy.

Either way you’ll love it
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      11-20-2018, 04:22 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

The OTS map is really good, only get a custom tune if you want to push your car to the limit

I would use the OTS map for daily driving and the custom map when racing

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2018, 04:51 PM   #4
Mike oxlong
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Awesome cheers guys. Just what I needed to know.

Shortyy, did you notice an increase in spool sound with the drop ins? Also did you feel a big jump going from stage 1 to stage 2?.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 01:39 AM   #5
Shortyy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike oxlong View Post

Shortyy, did you notice an increase in spool sound with the drop ins? Also did you feel a big jump going from stage 1 to stage 2?.

Didn’t really notice any noise changes after fitting the filters.

I went standard straight to stage 2, decats and map in one. Where are you based in the UK?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 03:03 AM   #6
Mike oxlong
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I'm in Grimsby mate. How about you? I think I might have spoken to you on one of the favebook groups actually..

Just dropped it off this morning for de-cats, eibach's and spacers. Downloaded OTS stage 2 map last night and configured it ready to flash when I go pick it up. Hoping it's going to be dry later. Have you had yours on the dyno?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 03:34 PM   #7
Shortyy
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'm in Grimsby mate. How about you? I think I might have spoken to you on one of the favebook groups actually..

Just dropped it off this morning for de-cats, eibach's and spacers. Downloaded OTS stage 2 map last night and configured it ready to flash when I go pick it up. Hoping it's going to be dry later. Have you had yours on the dyno?

I’m in Liverpool mate. You will love it! It will be a rocket.

Might be on the dyno this weekend, but I’m not to fussed on dyno figures, I prefer to do performance times like 100-200kmh and 60-130mph. This gives you a real idea of a cars performance

Let me know how you get on
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 03:37 PM   #8
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1990 View Post
Well the best part is you have BM3, proven to be the best unlike other canned tuned and makes the car drive like crap.
+1

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 05:11 PM   #9
vividracing
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 M3, F30 335i, F80 M3

Check out our ECU Flash Tune, I can get you a crazy deal on it right now for Black Friday, Must contact me directly for pricing. Tunes for both F82 & F80.

LINK: https://www.vividracing.com/tuned-ec...150949498.html

The BMW F80 BMW M3 is a beast when tuned. With the inline 6 cylinder twin turbo engine, there is tons of room for more horsepower and torque. An ECU flash will give you much improved performance throughout the entire power curve. Faster throttle response, quicker turbo spool, and harder pull all the way to redline.a

You no longer have to remove your ECU to have it tuned. VR Tuned does all F Series ecu tuning through the OBDII port with our iFlash system!

Crank Horsepower Numbers:

Stock 430HP | 406FT/LBS
Stage 1 Tuned 500HP | 498FT/LBS
Stage 2 Tuned 520HP | 530FT/LBS
What are the benefits of VR Tuned?

#1 priority is our customer service to you!
Our tuning is used worldwide. We have powered vehicles of all types.
All ECU tunes can be revered back to stock if necessary.
With the VR Tuned ECU Flash, basic bolt-on performance parts will not require a retune of your ECU.
Adding parts such as an exhaust, intake, plenum, pulley, will all adjust with the tune.
If you add higher octane fuel, the ECU will adjust accordingly.
We can tune cars worldwide including JDM, EU, Australian, and USA cars for different types of octane or environments.
Other custom enhancements are available if requested and applicable.
We test and dyno tune on our own cars to make sure what you get is safe, reliable, and gives you the results you want!
How to Flash Your ECU?

Use our OBDII VR Tuned iFlash Cable. The iFlash cable allows you to read and write your stock and tuned files. It also features diagnostic functions to read and clear check engine lights. See Instructions Here.
Bring your vehicle to our facility where we can use our Master Cable to flash your vehicle.
We can bench flash the ECU. To bench flash the ECU, you must remove it from your vehicle and send it to us. Once we receive the ECU, we will prepare the tune file and then overnight it back to you for reinstallation. We do not solder or modify the ECU board at all. All ECU tuning is done via bungy probes that have a needle tip to provide an electrical connection. View ECU Removal Instructions Here
Options:

You can select to get both Stages of our Tune. The Stage 2 is usually for those looking to maximize the performance of their vehicle. Though not required unless stated, this is usually for those running a performance exhaust and at least 91-93 octane fuel. Can only be done if OBDII flashing is available.
Choose to receive our additional ECO Mode file to help fuel economy when needed. This can be flashed via the OBDII port the same way as your tuned file. When you select this add on, you can easily flash between the files at your convenience.
For this ECU Flash, we also offer the following features that are optional and can be selected:
Pops and Bang Burble Tune
Cold Start Delete
Speed Limiter Raised - VMax
Sports Display Enhanced - We increase the HP and NM or TQ number on the BMW Sports Display. For example if your car says 350HP Max, we can change this to 400HP.
Some features not listed can be requested during the File Upload process
PM, Email, or Call Directly for aggressive BMW Member Pricing
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 06:56 PM   #10
AutoTalent
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt | e60 M5 6mt

Quote:

There's a good amount of induction noise after replacing the filters

There's a nice pick up on the butt dyno from stage 1 to stage 2, I think with BM3 you'll be more than happy with just the "off the shelf". I had experience with several other tunes - JB4, GIAC, VF, PP and the BM3 is by far the best of the bunch.

Here's a dyno comparison between stock, BM3 ots stage 1, and a custom tune for E85 by CaryTheLabelGuy

Appreciate 1
bm3nyc56.00