GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-14-2017, 04:04 PM   #155
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
SROC3's Avatar
United_States
1590
Rep
3,720
Posts

Drives: Like a Boss.
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: three.one.zero

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeykayo View Post
I know this is kind of an old thread but just wanted to share my settings and methodology.

I used a UMIK-1 calibrated microphone and used REW to do the measurements. I did a few sweep tests with the settings on the car set to 0 and Logic7 turned off. I then used the AutoEQ function in REW to create a correction profile. I then applied that to a MiniDSP (basically a mini computer that does digital signal processing.)

One difference between my settings and Lincoln30's is that I created a correction profile set to a "house curve", specifically the Harman curve. Double-blind tests by Harman and B&K have shown that (some/many/most?) people prefer a slightly increased bass response and a slight treble roll-off as opposed to a completely flat response. If that appeals to you, you may like my settings. I find that flat is not ideal for me especially considering the music has to fight with engine noise, road noise etc. My settings actually weren't too different from the ones Lincoln30 posted as his #2 setting, so that was good. My measurements showed the same issues that Lincoln30 stated were "unfixable" without some hardware upgrades. I completely agree.

After I had the correction profile applied to the MiniDSP, I ran some pink noise through the system and took another measurement and used that as a reference. I set REW to 1/1 Octave because that is all the refinement our BMW's EQ will allow. Then I ran pink noise without any DSP corrections and instead tried to match my reference measurements only using the M3's EQ adjustments.

Here are my settings:
Treble: 0
Bass: 0
Logic7: off
100hz: -2
200hz: -3
500hz: +2
1khz: 0
2khz: 0
5khz: 0
10khz: +1

I've attached my frequency response measurements from REW.

Blue line: EQ settings flat (stock settings) logic7 off
Green line: Correction profile created by REW AutoEQ applied to MiniDSP
Gold line: EQ settings on the car (as closely matched as possible) to REW's AutoEQ settings on MiniDSP

Update: After analyzing the stock settings, it looks like they closely follow the Harman/JBL house curve (it is a Harman Kardon system). It looks like what they've done is boost the lower frequencies (from about 300hz down to 50hz) possibly to account for road and engine noise. Just a thought. These guys might not be so thoughtless after all. I've come to this conclusion because after making the initial adjustments while parked, the system sounded awesome. When I started driving, I felt like the bass was being drowned out by noise. I looked back at the graph to see what I adjustments I should make to the low end. Oh wow, they already thought about that. Darn you BMW! :-)
Great post

Tried the settings earlier and they work very well - however, the bass is set a tad high for my ears since I listen to music a little on the louder side.

Do you have suggestions for settings if i wanted to lower the bass curve a little, while still maintaining the integrity of the above settings as a whole?
__________________
2019 X3 xDrive30i Glacier Silver | Cognac w/ Fine Cove | MSport | Premium | Dynamic Handling PKG | Drive Assist | HK Sound |
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 06:25 AM   #156
joeykayo
New Member
36
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: 2016 Alpine White F80 M3 MT
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
Great post

Tried the settings earlier and they work very well - however, the bass is set a tad high for my ears since I listen to music a little on the louder side.

Do you have suggestions for settings if i wanted to lower the bass curve a little, while still maintaining the integrity of the above settings as a whole?
Have you already tried the settings by Linocoln30? His is settings are calibrated for a flat target response whereas mine are purposely tuned to a Harman curve which calls for increased bass.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 08:14 PM   #157
ihg90
Private First Class
21
Rep
153
Posts

Drives: BMW M4
Join Date: May 2015
Location: California

iTrader: (3)

Coding Sound Settings Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
so code it
haven't seen the coding for that - is it posted?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 07:31 PM   #158
Zomboss
Enlisted Member
Zomboss's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP MG/SO
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Emerald City

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thank you for the analysis! After just reading the entire thread, my conclusion based on your finding is that the stock EQ settings are already well tuned, not for a flat FR curve but for a pleasant sound experience to compensate for engine and road noise while driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeykayo View Post
I know this is kind of an old thread but just wanted to share my settings and methodology.

I used a UMIK-1 calibrated microphone and used REW to do the measurements. I did a few sweep tests with the settings on the car set to 0 and Logic7 turned off. I then used the AutoEQ function in REW to create a correction profile. I then applied that to a MiniDSP (basically a mini computer that does digital signal processing.)

One difference between my settings and Lincoln30's is that I created a correction profile set to a "house curve", specifically the Harman curve. Double-blind tests by Harman and B&K have shown that (some/many/most?) people prefer a slightly increased bass response and a slight treble roll-off as opposed to a completely flat response. If that appeals to you, you may like my settings. I find that flat is not ideal for me especially considering the music has to fight with engine noise, road noise etc. My settings actually weren't too different from the ones Lincoln30 posted as his #2 setting, so that was good. My measurements showed the same issues that Lincoln30 stated were "unfixable" without some hardware upgrades. I completely agree.

After I had the correction profile applied to the MiniDSP, I ran some pink noise through the system and took another measurement and used that as a reference. I set REW to 1/1 Octave because that is all the refinement our BMW's EQ will allow. Then I ran pink noise without any DSP corrections and instead tried to match my reference measurements only using the M3's EQ adjustments.

Here are my settings:
Treble: 0
Bass: 0
Logic7: off
100hz: -2
200hz: -3
500hz: +2
1khz: 0
2khz: 0
5khz: 0
10khz: +1

I've attached my frequency response measurements from REW.

Blue line: EQ settings flat (stock settings) logic7 off
Green line: Correction profile created by REW AutoEQ applied to MiniDSP
Gold line: EQ settings on the car (as closely matched as possible) to REW's AutoEQ settings on MiniDSP

Update: After analyzing the stock settings, it looks like they closely follow the Harman/JBL house curve (it is a Harman Kardon system). It looks like what they've done is boost the lower frequencies (from about 300hz down to 50hz) possibly to account for road and engine noise. Just a thought. These guys might not be so thoughtless after all. I've come to this conclusion because after making the initial adjustments while parked, the system sounded awesome. When I started driving, I felt like the bass was being drowned out by noise. I looked back at the graph to see what I adjustments I should make to the low end. Oh wow, they already thought about that. Darn you BMW! :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 04:11 AM   #159
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
68
Rep
239
Posts

Drives: 2018 m3
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehinder View Post
I gotta believe it's stock. They were paid to engineer a high end system out of the box.
If you’ve ever had a truly high quality stereo in a car, you’ll know NO car manufacturer puts them in.
Appreciate 3
      06-15-2018, 08:33 AM   #160
Workaholic
Registered
2
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: BMW M4
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Netherlands

iTrader: (0)

Can somebody post some updates with M4/M3 systems from 2017 and higher? My new M4 sounds different compared to my previous M4 from 2015. Both equiped with HK and set to standard/stock audio settings.

Also the settings posted in this thread are now different due to use of a different graphical view. See image examples below (not mine btw - from google)



Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 01:21 PM   #161
UBERV8
Captain
UBERV8's Avatar
United_States
216
Rep
604
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (4)

^ Same here... It's decent but I feel the EQ settings can bring in a tad more clarity and low end.

I may look into BAV sounds options soon
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 07:26 PM   #162
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
MFNATIK's Avatar
United_States
2718
Rep
3,554
Posts

Drives: 17 F80 ZCP, 05 M3C
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

The 2017-18 cars do sounds different. It was the first thing I noticed when switching from the 2016. I say there is not right or wrong eq settings. Just tweak to to your taste. The system just sounds better (Fuller) overall. I applied the B&O EQ and liked that alot as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 12:37 AM   #163
satinghostrider
Major
satinghostrider's Avatar
Singapore
165
Rep
1,434
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
The 2017-18 cars do sounds different. It was the first thing I noticed when switching from the 2016. I say there is not right or wrong eq settings. Just tweak to to your taste. The system just sounds better (Fuller) overall. I applied the B&O EQ and liked that alot as well.

Can you post your B&O Eq settings or at least a link here if you do not mind?
I am keen to try on my 2017 ZCP M3.


Thanks!
__________________

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 12:40 AM   #164
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
MFNATIK's Avatar
United_States
2718
Rep
3,554
Posts

Drives: 17 F80 ZCP, 05 M3C
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
Can you post your B&O Eq settings or at least a link here if you do not mind?
I am keen to try on my 2017 ZCP M3.


Thanks!
It requires software coding to activate the option. Check the coding section for more info.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 06:14 AM   #165
Workaholic
Registered
2
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: BMW M4
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Netherlands

iTrader: (0)

Hi, can this be done by Carly by any chance instead of manual coding?

Besides this B&O coding:

Anybody have some recent photo's from the Equalizer settings in 2017+ M3/M4 models? I'm not happy with the sound and I also drive a 2017 3 series with hifi (not harmon kardon) and this sounds much better (doesn't have EQ setting option so can't copy)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 06:16 AM   #166
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
1QuikWS6's Avatar
United_States
1371
Rep
8,214
Posts

Drives: F32 435ix MSport ->M6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blitzburgh, PA

iTrader: (105)

Garage List
Quote:
Hi, can this be done by Carly by any chance instead of manual coding?
No
__________________
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Leather Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK Sound+Musicar Stg3//763M Wheels//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoiler-LED Sills-CF Shift Knob/Surround/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Dinan CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 12:42 AM   #167
Rxpert
Second Lieutenant
Rxpert's Avatar
179
Rep
230
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP 6 Speed Manual
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
Can somebody post some updates with M4/M3 systems from 2017 and higher? My new M4 sounds different compared to my previous M4 from 2015. Both equiped with HK and set to standard/stock audio settings.

Also the settings posted in this thread are now different due to use of a different graphical view. See image examples below (not mine btw - from google)



Thanks for your help!
Bumping this thread. Just picked up my 2018 and would love some updated/current equalizer settings if anyone has. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 09:17 PM   #168
TheOtherOne
Enlisted Member
14
Rep
42
Posts

Drives: 09 335XI
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

I'm curious about this too. I tried all of the suggestions and it still sounds like shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxpert View Post
Bumping this thread. Just picked up my 2018 and would love some updated/current equalizer settings if anyone has. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 11:01 PM   #169
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
MFNATIK's Avatar
United_States
2718
Rep
3,554
Posts

Drives: 17 F80 ZCP, 05 M3C
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxpert View Post
Bumping this thread. Just picked up my 2018 and would love some updated/current equalizer settings if anyone has. Anyone?
BMW updated the HK system on MY2017 and probably again on 2018s so the settings here aren't relevant to your car.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 11:53 PM   #170
Rxpert
Second Lieutenant
Rxpert's Avatar
179
Rep
230
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP 6 Speed Manual
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxpert View Post
Bumping this thread. Just picked up my 2018 and would love some updated/current equalizer settings if anyone has. Anyone?
BMW updated the HK system on MY2017 and probably again on 2018s so the settings here aren't relevant to your car.
.....lol......that's exactly why I was asking if anyone had any updated settings for MY2018 cars haha
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 03:17 AM   #171
satinghostrider
Major
satinghostrider's Avatar
Singapore
165
Rep
1,434
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxpert View Post
.....lol......that's exactly why I was asking if anyone had any updated settings for MY2018 cars haha

Am also keenly looking for anyone with the updated settings for the new MY2018 cars...
__________________

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 01:14 AM   #172
satinghostrider
Major
satinghostrider's Avatar
Singapore
165
Rep
1,434
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (1)

Anyone managed to find golden settings for the new idrive system? Keen to try it out if anyone has.


Thanks!
__________________

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 1
DEANMW53.50

      09-28-2018, 03:18 PM   #173
thermalc
Private
53
Rep
60
Posts

Drives: m4
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: bmw

iTrader: (0)

Bump...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 06:25 PM   #174
wasabii
New Member
8
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: 18' F80 Alpine White
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

I just got a 2018 F80 ZCP and the stereo sounds horrible.

I listen to the radio a lot and playing music over it is way too low. You cannot really make out the words in the song and the bass is lacking hard. Then when you do increase the volume, certain sounds in the songs sound really high pitched and static like which sounds atrocious.

I haven't touched the EQ settings because I have no idea what any of the settings do, but I feel like I shouldn't need to.

For such an expensive car, I cannot believe my Altima's stereo beats this car's stereo by a long shot.

If anyone has EQ settings or tips of any kind, I would appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 11:11 PM   #175
satinghostrider
Major
satinghostrider's Avatar
Singapore
165
Rep
1,434
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (1)

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1329316

Bass flat
Treble +1
100 +7
200 -6
500 -4
1k +5
2k -4
5k +2
10k -1

Tried it and it is not too bad. Though I had to crank the bass up by 2 as I felt it was lacking. I am mostly EDM and Trance. A noticeable difference.
Though I would love for someone to post their own settings based on my music genre listening...Predominantly listening on Spotify which are downloaded in max quality to my phone streamed over Bluetooth.
__________________

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 09:08 AM   #176
Colomba
New Member
Colomba's Avatar
Sweden
6
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2018 F82 M4
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by satinghostrider View Post
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1329316

Bass flat
Treble +1
100 +7
200 -6
500 -4
1k +5
2k -4
5k +2
10k -1

Tried it and it is not too bad. Though I had to crank the bass up by 2 as I felt it was lacking. I am mostly EDM and Trance. A noticeable difference.
Though I would love for someone to post their own settings based on my music genre listening...Predominantly listening on Spotify which are downloaded in max quality to my phone streamed over Bluetooth.
Hi,

Is this for 2018 cars?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST