BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

03-23-2016, 08:35 AM   #45
///Mongo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubjectMatter View Post
After posing several more questions, the Service team has also managed to recreate the issue but I haven't heard anything indicating a root cause yet.
Any update?

I was running some errands last night and this happened to me. Roughly 650 miles on the car, no coding or other mods except a radar detector (using a MirrorTap). It freaked me out, but everything seemed to work fine after-- I never lost engine power or iDrive navigation, only the gauge cluster (didn't notice whether the HUD was involved). I drove around for another ~30 minutes after, and it did not happen again.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 03:59 AM   #46
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Are all of you guys who are getting new head units able to reproduce the problem at the dealership.....or.....are they just taking your word for it?

My dealership would never order something like that without "proof". I've had it [reboot] happen a few times over the life of the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 09:16 AM   #47
///Mongo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
Are all of you guys who are getting new head units able to reproduce the problem at the dealership.....or.....are they just taking your word for it?

My dealership would never order something like that without "proof". I've had it [reboot] happen a few times over the life of the car.
I didn't even bring it up when I had my 1,200 mile service. It hasn't happened again, and it's been 1,000 miles and 3 weeks. I don't want them ripping apart my dash and replacing things for no reason. If it happens again, I will bring it up at my next service.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 06:03 PM   #48
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB F85 X5M

2 weeks ago this happened on my 15 X5. They replaced the head unit. 2 days later same issue. they replaced the head unit again and so far its good. 2 days ago my M3 had the same thing happen. i need to take it in next week. The GM at the dealer had it happen with his 7 series too.

I also have a 340xi on order. I am starting to worry its going to have the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 11:49 AM   #49
Cooltones
Happy M Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, F82 M4, G05 X5

Interesting. So what we appear to have here is a "problem" that cuts across both 15' and 16' F8x *AND* also other BMW models....

So far 3,800 miles on my 16' F82 and nothing as described here. The only "electrical mods" I have are a V1 hardwired to the rearview mirror ACC and a Blackvue 650 2CH Dash Cam hardwired to an ACC fuse slot.

Hope BMW figures this out soon. Sorry to hear from those that are having this problem.
2020 X5 40i M Sport - The "Unicorn" (B&W Sound, Touch Screen, Heated/Cooled Cup Holders, Soft Close Doors, Acoustic Glass, Full Alcantara & Glass Controls, Luggage Compartment Package, Heated/Ventilated Seats, Laser Lights, Fog Lights)
2016 M4 Coupe; 2008 Dinan S1 M5; 2006 530i; 1998 328i
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 01:15 AM   #50
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB F85 X5M

M3 was acting up again today with this same issue again. i really think there is no fix yet. it seems they just replace the head unit with the same part and cross fingers it might work right. i can deal with this on my M3 as i dont do long trips with that cat but i could not for a daily driver. So i cancelled my 340i order and picking up a GS-F on Monday for daily duty.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 01:09 AM   #51
SubjectMatter
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mongo View Post
Any update?

I was running some errands last night and this happened to me. Roughly 650 miles on the car, no coding or other mods except a radar detector (using a MirrorTap). It freaked me out, but everything seemed to work fine after-- I never lost engine power or iDrive navigation, only the gauge cluster (didn't notice whether the HUD was involved). I drove around for another ~30 minutes after, and it did not happen again.
Sorry for being gone from the forum recently, it's been a busy few months. Here are my updates:

BMW kept my car in SF for another week to diagnose again. The dealership recreated the malfunction and claimed it also occurred on another brand new F80/82 in their showroom. They called me and told me I could take back my car but there was no fix and no estimate on when a fix might be available.

I drove back from LA to SF and collected my car and at the same time I contacted BMWNA to express my displeasure. BMWNA was helpful and reviewed the service history and facts about my car. They made an adequate goodwill payment considering my time and inconvenience but declined to buy back the car.

March 24, I took my M4 in for service at Santa Monica BMW. Originally it was scheduled for a 1-day reprogramming to correct the firmware issue but they ended up keeping it for 4 business days. Apparently the reprogramming kept crashing so it took the regional service engineer much longer than anticipated.

I got my M back and noticed that some of the presets were still there (M buttons and profile settings still active) and only the basic presets were overwritten. I find that strange since they said it'd be a full reprogram, but can't tell if it means anything. According to BMW the car is repaired.

I received a PM from another forum member in the UK and BMW bought his car back because of the same issue...

Since I have not experienced the failure mode here in the greater Los Angeles area I don't have a way to test if my M is fixed. I'm considering a road trip to SF to prove it.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 02:34 AM   #52
nickm4
Rep
Drives: M4

I had a rebooting issue today. No prior problems, early '15 m4, JB4 stage 2, 11,000km.

After the car had been sitting in the garage for a week while I was overseas (where my partner "hadn't touched it" since she drove it home from dropping me at the airport) on its first 30min drive iDrive rebooted approx 15 times while playing radio with Nav open,trip computer split. HUD/dash/ac/driving was fine. After maybe the 8th time also some settings were cleared (i.e. stored radio stations, numbered button presets)

via a process of elimination I determined the rebooting stopped if I disabled bluetooth on the iDrive. was very consistant - bluetooth on and there was crashes and rebooted, bluetooth off no problems.

Then my partner advised me she had actually paired her phone with it when driving it home last week....

We both have Samsung Galaxy S7 Edges, both with the default bluetooth name (Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge?) both were showing as connected in bluetooth. I unpaired her's (which seemed to take two attempts?) and re-enabled bluetooth, and the rebooting (which had been happening every 2-10 minutes consistantly) stopped completely.

took it for 3 more drives today, no further problems.

Was on Media version: MN-002.049.003
was on phone version: TN-002.049.003

I have tonight updated it using www.bmw.com/update UPD05073.bin to now be running
MN-002.255.071
TN-002.255.070

I'll wait a few days and check it is stable still then try pair her phone again and see if i can still break it

but it looks like there is at least one bluetooth bug on at least one firmware revision which can cause random rebooting
Appreciate 2
      07-13-2016, 06:22 PM   #53
J415
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335is Convertible

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [0.00]
All interior lights suddenly turned off

Was driving home the other night in a spirited manner (Sport + everything and nannys off). Took my exit and came to a stop at the stop light, hit the M1 button to put me back into efficient/comfort to get me through the city and then hit the shift selector to the right to get back in the auto shift mode. As soon as i tapped the selector everything went black in the interior of my car, dash, radio, interior led's, everything (did not pay attention to exterior headlights at this point) but the engine was still on and running (I saw it was at normal operating revs)! I shut the car off waited a few seconds and then fired it back up and everything was back to normal.

Has anyone ever experienced such an episode? Everything has been fine for the last two days, you think this warrants a trip to the dealer?

I have 2,200 miles on my car.

Past: 2013 E93 BMW 335is Convertible Mineral White / Coral Red/ DCT/ 19in 313's
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 12:18 AM   #54
dv8pdx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X///M

Garage List
2023 BMW X///M  [0.00]
My car did some kind of system test today. All the warning lights came on, the speedo and rpm gages went to full then back down. Everything flashed off for a second then came back on as normal. All while I was driving. I only have 4k miles. Even my passenger said what the hell was that...

Current: 2023 X///M Fire Orange
Past: 2021 X5///M Competition Fire Orange, 2018 X5 50i Fire Orange II, 2016 ///M4 Fire Orange w/ Black Full Merino, 2012 640i, 2011 335i, 2011 328i, 2006 750i, 2002 530i, 1991 525i
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 02:49 AM   #55
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
There is an issue with some 16 F80/F82 with their dashboard and instrument panel randomly resetting. If it starts occurring more and more take it into your dealership and have them look at it.
      07-14-2016, 07:37 AM   #56
Bch53211
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
Now I'm glad I got a 2015. Knock on wood, the car has been as dependable as a Swiss watch. Only issues I've had are trunk opening by itself (but not when I kick underneath) and connecting iPhone issues. Other than that she's tip top.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 08:28 AM   #57
mrduder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bch53211
Now I'm glad I got a 2015. Knock on wood, the car has been as dependable as a Swiss watch. Only issues I've had are trunk opening by itself (but not when I kick underneath) and connecting iPhone issues. Other than that she's tip top.
If you have issues with your phone and the car, grab a USB stick and put the latest update from BMW on it. Insert it in your center console and update the software. I was having issues with my iPhone connecting and working properly with the car and this fixed it.

That being said, just like two weeks ago my whole idrive system shut itself down while driving. I guess it can be a head unit issue. Dealer will replace it if needed.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 12:59 AM   #58
aajjcc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

I had this happen twice on my drive from San Francisco to San Jose. It was like the car was possessed. I took it to the dealership and was told it sometimes happens. Also that installing a brand new dash won't solve the issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 08:48 AM   #59
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajjcc View Post
I had this happen twice on my drive from San Francisco to San Jose. It was like the car was possessed. I took it to the dealership and was told it sometimes happens. Also that installing a brand new dash won't solve the issue.
Whole thread on this in the Navigation/idrive.....ect forum.

It's existed back to 2015's and supposedly the 58.3 software update was to address this.

Random rebooting of system.

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 02:11 PM   #60
dv8pdx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X///M

Garage List
2023 BMW X///M  [0.00]
I have 58.3 so evidently it didnt fix it.

Current: 2023 X///M Fire Orange
Past: 2021 X5///M Competition Fire Orange, 2018 X5 50i Fire Orange II, 2016 ///M4 Fire Orange w/ Black Full Merino, 2012 640i, 2011 335i, 2011 328i, 2006 750i, 2002 530i, 1991 525i
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 11:09 AM   #61
BD SM3RF
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB F80

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
my car has been in the shop several time for the random reboot of the iDrive system. Some times it just failed to boot when I started the car. If it was a longer drive it would just boot up after about 10 to 15 minutes. Ive had my '15 for a year and didn't really see this issue until about 18k miles.

Dealer had trouble reproducing the problem and initially assumed it was an iPhone issue as I was having a lot of connectivity issues with the iPhone (which is another known issue a lot of people are having with iDrive)

After several days they were able to reproduce the problem and replaced the head unit and reprogrammed. The issue reoccurred a few time after the new head unit so it went back to the shop and they replaced the amp and that did not correct the problem so they also replaced some kind of telecom unit.

The problem reoccured so last week the car was back in and the head unit was replaced a second time. So far so good. I will update after more time has passed
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 11:48 AM   #62
Irishsig
In Hoc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 6MT MG/SO

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Just had the reboot happen this morning for the 1st time.
For some reason I was actually waiting for the engine to die as well because it was such an odd occurrence.
Center console & screen went dark and rebooted within seconds.

I did just start to utilize split screen for radio/nav as of a couple days ago, not sure if that's just coincidence.
I'll see if it happens again and report.
      08-16-2016, 08:01 PM   #63
mossman1120
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

I am having this same issue with my MY16 M4. It happened for me three times over the course of a couple of months. I think it in the same area too. Any more updates of the best course of action to fix this? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 03:21 PM   #64
StephPT
Rep
Drives: Bmw M4 2015

Hi,

With 25000 km it happened to me once. And I remember that it happened when I entered a bumpy road.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 05:08 PM   #65
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubjectMatter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mongo View Post
Any update?

Sorry for being gone from the forum recently, it's been a busy few months. Here are my updates:

BMW kept my car in SF for another week to diagnose again. The dealership recreated the malfunction and claimed it also occurred on another brand new F80/82 in their showroom. They called me and told me I could take back my car but there was no fix and no estimate on when a fix might be available.

I drove back from LA to SF and collected my car and at the same time I contacted BMWNA to express my displeasure. BMWNA was helpful and reviewed the service history and facts about my car. They made an adequate goodwill payment considering my time and inconvenience but declined to buy back the car.

March 24, I took my M4 in for service at Santa Monica BMW. Originally it was scheduled for a 1-day reprogramming to correct the firmware issue but they ended up keeping it for 4 business days. Apparently the reprogramming kept crashing so it took the regional service engineer much longer than anticipated.

I got my M back and noticed that some of the presets were still there (M buttons and profile settings still active) and only the basic presets were overwritten. I find that strange since they said it'd be a full reprogram, but can't tell if it means anything. According to BMW the car is repaired.

I received a PM from another forum member in the UK and BMW bought his car back because of the same issue...

Since I have not experienced the failure mode here in the greater Los Angeles area I don't have a way to test if my M is fixed. I'm considering a road trip to SF to prove it.
If you want BMW to buy back your car asking them to do so it's not the way to go. And BMW NA is the legal arm of BMW. Once of their main purposes is to CYA.

Hopefully you did do yourself a disservice when you accepted payment from them.

If you want out of your car then find a good LLL and sue them. You put up with far more than I would have!

Best of luck.
      08-17-2016, 06:01 PM   #66
bdkinnh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post
If you want out of your car then find a good LLL and sue them. You put up with far more than I would have!
You probably don't even have to go that far. A long time ago I had a Lexus (don't judge) and had a ton of problems with it. I asked them to buy it back and they said no, so I filed the lemon law paperwork with the state.

Part of the process is sending a notice to the manufacturer. When I did that, they called and offered to buy the car back - provided I cancelled the process with the state.

Jerks.
Appreciate 0