BPM
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-13-2020, 09:12 PM   #1
bsm.m4
Lieutenant
bsm.m4's Avatar
United_States
426
Rep
569
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NoVa

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
IDRIVE 4 to IDRIVE 6 Conversion

I did the full ID4 > ID6 conversion, and it looks like there's a lot of questions about this as it's the route less taken versus the Bimmertech/Aliexpress MMI module.

To be upfront, this is expensive. I paid $1500 for all the parts. All things considered this is standard price for this level of work. I have friends with older Tesla Model S cars that have retrofitted the newer touchscreens and headunits and they spend about $2500+. I also had everything professionally installed by Luc@Speed&Tech as although its plug-and-play, I had other work they were going to do anyway. I also wanted peace of mind of a shop doing the work. Please contact them directly for pricing if you're local to the DC, Maryland, Virginia area. I don't want to speak for their prices.

Why I went this route instead of the Bimmertech/Aliexpress MMI module? Because I didn't want the "shortcut" route of still having ID4 and a wonky secondary unit for CarPlay. I wanted everything OEM, and reading through the forums, I didn't want to deal with firmware updates to the MMI unit, or loss of audio fidelity.

This is what you need for the best experience:
- ID6 Harman headunit coded to your VIN. There are multiple vendors on this board that can do it for you. I used Retrofitmybimmer.com (Rob) who was fantastic.
- Wireless antenna. This gives you the fastest, most stable wireless CarPlay connection. While you could technically use Bluetooth, the connection is poor and bandwidth is too low for this to be viable.
- Optional: upgrade your 8.8" screen to a touchscreen. This technically isn't necessary but it's a really nice functionality to add. In my opinion, you might as well do it once and do it right.
- iDrive controller: while technically optional this really should be upgraded to the LCI version to have correct button mappings.

The coding to the iDrive unit can either be done remotely or by the vendor at time of purchase. I chose to have the vendor code it so that way when I got everything and brought it to a custom shop, everything was truly plug and play.

I can't recommend this upgrade enough. Let me know if you have questions.

Here's some common questions I had with answers:

Q: Will ConnectedDrive still work?
A: Yes

Q: Will I still be able to use GPS for BMW navigation?
A: Yes

Q: Will I still be able to use SiriusXM?
A: Yes

Q: Is any of this aftermarket or OEM?
A: All OEM parts

Q: Will I lose favorite stations, M drive settings, etc?
A: Yes, because they're stored in your IDRIVE profile. You'll need to favorite your stations/mappings on the numbered radio buttons and M drive buttons again. This is not a big deal whatsoever, it takes a couple minutes.

Q: Is there a difference with the ID Harman unit being pre-coded at time of purchase or buying it and shipping it to be coded?
A: Absolutely no difference.

The vendor will also code it to support video in motion and screen mirroring for Android.

Best part is, now my 2016 M4 is fully 2020 spec when it comes to infotainment and iDrive. It was worth every dollar.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Rob
2016 F82 ///M4 Black Sapphire Metallic | instagram | My Build Thread
2018 G01 X3 xDrive30i Alpine White
2014 F30 328i Mineral Grey (traded in for M4)
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2020, 10:01 PM   #2
nate161514
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 2016 AW/SO M3, 2016 BMW X3
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Washington, D.C.

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for sharing! Love the idea of 'no shortcuts' and having everything OEM. In the DMV and potentially interested in this, did you have to source all the parts yourself and then take to the shop for installation/coding etc.?

If so - can you speak to sourcing? In the past I have had shops in the past balk at installing parts not purchased through them (which is understandable depending on situation).
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 10:16 PM   #3
cadamson
Enlisted Member
United_States
4
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: 6MT YMB F82
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Awesome, messaging retrofitmybimmer tonight. What screen did you swap in for your climate control display, do you have any other pics of it?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 10:18 PM   #4
bsm.m4
Lieutenant
bsm.m4's Avatar
United_States
426
Rep
569
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NoVa

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadamson View Post
Awesome, messaging retrofitmybimmer tonight. What screen did you swap in for your climate control display, do you have any other pics of it?
Climate control display? You mean the interior temperature, fan speed, etc? I didn't change that. So it's stock.
__________________
Rob
2016 F82 ///M4 Black Sapphire Metallic | instagram | My Build Thread
2018 G01 X3 xDrive30i Alpine White
2014 F30 328i Mineral Grey (traded in for M4)
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 11:39 PM   #5
gottspd
Private
12
Rep
92
Posts

Drives: BMW M4, Lexus LC500, MK4 Supra
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

My understanding is that for those of us that have 2015's, connected drive and factory nav won't work. Just FYI.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 08:04 AM   #6
bsm.m4
Lieutenant
bsm.m4's Avatar
United_States
426
Rep
569
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NoVa

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottspd View Post
My understanding is that for those of us that have 2015's, connected drive and factory nav won't work. Just FYI.
Don't know about the 2015 model year, but mine is a 2016 and both the ConnectedDrive and navigation work 100% with the conversion.
__________________
Rob
2016 F82 ///M4 Black Sapphire Metallic | instagram | My Build Thread
2018 G01 X3 xDrive30i Alpine White
2014 F30 328i Mineral Grey (traded in for M4)
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 03:26 PM   #7
kubax86
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
kubax86's Avatar
Germany
522
Rep
991
Posts


Drives: M4
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: World

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottspd View Post
My understanding is that for those of us that have 2015's, connected drive and factory nav won't work. Just FYI.
Yeah, for connected drive it needs ATM, but Nav could work - you just need to have headunit with built-in GPS.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 08:00 PM   #8
az989
New Member
2
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 Convertible.
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

I just did the same retrofit as well, i went with the 8.8in touch screen, and idrive controller. Connectdrive works perfectly, in addition im able to track the car, remote lock and unlock car.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 08:38 PM   #9
cadamson
Enlisted Member
United_States
4
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: 6MT YMB F82
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Is the 8.8" touchscreen higher resolution?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 08:42 PM   #10
bsm.m4
Lieutenant
bsm.m4's Avatar
United_States
426
Rep
569
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NoVa

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadamson View Post
Is the 8.8" touchscreen higher resolution?
It's sharper clarity, brightness and I believe resolution. It's a huge difference from my stock '16 non-touchscreen.
__________________
Rob
2016 F82 ///M4 Black Sapphire Metallic | instagram | My Build Thread
2018 G01 X3 xDrive30i Alpine White
2014 F30 328i Mineral Grey (traded in for M4)
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 09:04 PM   #11
bsm.m4
Lieutenant
bsm.m4's Avatar
United_States
426
Rep
569
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NoVa

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by az989 View Post
I just did the same retrofit as well, i went with the 8.8in touch screen, and idrive controller. Connectdrive works perfectly, in addition im able to track the car, remote lock and unlock car.
Nice!
__________________
Rob
2016 F82 ///M4 Black Sapphire Metallic | instagram | My Build Thread
2018 G01 X3 xDrive30i Alpine White
2014 F30 328i Mineral Grey (traded in for M4)
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 12:52 PM   #12
carM3kee
Private First Class
47
Rep
175
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Concord, CA

iTrader: (8)

I have a 2015 and wanted to have this retrofit done, Rob from RetrofitMyBimmer confirmed that OEM GPS Map functionality will be lost. This is the only downside for a 2015 MY which is minor since with carplay/android auto other maps apps are available.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 09:25 PM   #13
gprzybylski
Private First Class
gprzybylski's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Just installed mine thanks to rob. Only thing I can't get to work was the BMW ConnectedDrive store and my onboard manual.

Called bmw and they advised that they have removed ConnectedDrive (thanks BMW).

Still not sure why the onboard manual doesn't work rob said he's looking into it.

Other then that it is working like it came with the car off the line.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 10:52 PM   #14
sagi
Private First Class
23
Rep
131
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprzybylski View Post
Just installed mine thanks to rob. Only thing I can't get to work was the BMW ConnectedDrive store and my onboard manual.

Called bmw and they advised that they have removed ConnectedDrive (thanks BMW).

Still not sure why the onboard manual doesn't work rob said he's looking into it.

Other then that it is working like it came with the car off the line.

What year is your vehicle? Did you get the 8.8 touch screen and Idrive controller as well?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 10:58 PM   #15
sagi
Private First Class
23
Rep
131
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

I have been looking into this as well and found a few options.

On eBay you could get an NBT evo id4 and flash it to ID6 using the same screen and controller. Some go for 400 ish..

Complete NBT evo id5/ID6 sets seem to go for around 1500 + usd..

Is the 8.8 touchscreen a direct swap with no modifications? Does anyone know if the 10 inch screen I believe require modifications?

I have a 2015 m3 but 2014 build.

I did see some vendors on eBay having the built in gps, but what else would I loose aside from connected drive for those who did this?

Is the sound quality still the same as the Harmon kardon logic 7 etc that comes in the car..might be a silly question!

A lot of these vendors give 1 year warranty, anyone experiencing any issues ?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 09:06 AM   #16
bsm.m4
Lieutenant
bsm.m4's Avatar
United_States
426
Rep
569
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NoVa

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagi View Post
I have been looking into this as well and found a few options.

On eBay you could get an NBT evo id4 and flash it to ID6 using the same screen and controller. Some go for 400 ish..

Complete NBT evo id5/ID6 sets seem to go for around 1500 + usd..

Is the 8.8 touchscreen a direct swap with no modifications? Does anyone know if the 10 inch screen I believe require modifications?

I have a 2015 m3 but 2014 build.

I did see some vendors on eBay having the built in gps, but what else would I loose aside from connected drive for those who did this?

Is the sound quality still the same as the Harmon kardon logic 7 etc that comes in the car..might be a silly question!

A lot of these vendors give 1 year warranty, anyone experiencing any issues ?
I'll try and answer these in order to help.

1 - Ordering an NBT EVO ID4 unit on eBay: Only do this if your existing ID4 headunit isn't NBT EVO. Otherwise there's no need to buy a separate unit unless you want an entire dedicated spare unit. Reach out to vendor kubax86 for assistance on purchasing the code flash.

2 - Yeah that's about right through companies like Retrofitmybimmer, Bimmertech, etc.

3 - 8.8" touchscreen requires no modifications except for coding to support the new screen. This can be done prior to install by a vendor like Retrofitmybimmer so it's completely plug and play (you won't have to do the coding at time of install). I had an older, non-touchscreen 8.8" screen and upgraded to the 8.8" touchscreen. It was well worth the investment to upgrade, in my opinion.

Upgrading to a 10" touchscreen is definitely possible. It requires coding to support, same scenario as above. But it will also require some slight trimming of the rear of the screen plastic to fit properly in your F80. Tommy L Garage has a great video on YouTube on how he did it. It's easy, but I just didn't feel like doing the extra work for a slightly larger screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL_i...l=TommyLGarage

4 - Can't speak to the 2015 model, I believe there are some features lost for whatever reason in the 2015 model year vs. any other. Perhaps someone else can chime in here.

5 - Sound Quality - if you stick with OEM, there is absolutely no loss in sound quality. That's exactly why i wanted to stick with the OEM swap vs. the cheap Bimmertech MMI module/Aliexpress MMI module. That uses analog audio output I believe and from reading on the forums here from other members, there are a lot of audio issues with that. Your mileage may vary with that solution but I wanted to avoid all that and just stick with OEM to OEM swap and retain full functionality and audio quality.
__________________
Rob
2016 F82 ///M4 Black Sapphire Metallic | instagram | My Build Thread
2018 G01 X3 xDrive30i Alpine White
2014 F30 328i Mineral Grey (traded in for M4)
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 09:11 AM   #17
gprzybylski
Private First Class
gprzybylski's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprzybylski View Post
Just installed mine thanks to rob. Only thing I can't get to work was the BMW ConnectedDrive store and my onboard manual.

Called bmw and they advised that they have removed ConnectedDrive (thanks BMW).

Still not sure why the onboard manual doesn't work rob said he's looking into it.

Other then that it is working like it came with the car off the line.

What year is your vehicle? Did you get the 8.8 touch screen and Idrive controller as well?
2016 M4. I did not get the touch screen
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 04:31 PM   #18
sagi
Private First Class
23
Rep
131
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsm.m4 View Post
I'll try and answer these in order to help.

1 - Ordering an NBT EVO ID4 unit on eBay: Only do this if your existing ID4 headunit isn't NBT EVO. Otherwise there's no need to buy a separate unit unless you want an entire dedicated spare unit. Reach out to vendor kubax86 for assistance on purchasing the code flash.

2 - Yeah that's about right through companies like Retrofitmybimmer, Bimmertech, etc.

3 - 8.8" touchscreen requires no modifications except for coding to support the new screen. This can be done prior to install by a vendor like Retrofitmybimmer so it's completely plug and play (you won't have to do the coding at time of install). I had an older, non-touchscreen 8.8" screen and upgraded to the 8.8" touchscreen. It was well worth the investment to upgrade, in my opinion.

Upgrading to a 10" touchscreen is definitely possible. It requires coding to support, same scenario as above. But it will also require some slight trimming of the rear of the screen plastic to fit properly in your F80. Tommy L Garage has a great video on YouTube on how he did it. It's easy, but I just didn't feel like doing the extra work for a slightly larger screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL_i...l=TommyLGarage

4 - Can't speak to the 2015 model, I believe there are some features lost for whatever reason in the 2015 model year vs. any other. Perhaps someone else can chime in here.

5 - Sound Quality - if you stick with OEM, there is absolutely no loss in sound quality. That's exactly why i wanted to stick with the OEM swap vs. the cheap Bimmertech MMI module/Aliexpress MMI module. That uses analog audio output I believe and from reading on the forums here from other members, there are a lot of audio issues with that. Your mileage may vary with that solution but I wanted to avoid all that and just stick with OEM to OEM swap and retain full functionality and audio quality.

Thanks for responding. Definitely helps! Iím going the oem route for sure and possible thinking of the built in GPS to really retain factory functionality. I probably wonít ever use the factory gps but it will likely annoy me to have things missing hahaha OCD like that😂
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 04:40 PM   #19
bsm.m4
Lieutenant
bsm.m4's Avatar
United_States
426
Rep
569
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NoVa

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsm.m4 View Post
I'll try and answer these in order to help.

1 - Ordering an NBT EVO ID4 unit on eBay: Only do this if your existing ID4 headunit isn't NBT EVO. Otherwise there's no need to buy a separate unit unless you want an entire dedicated spare unit. Reach out to vendor kubax86 for assistance on purchasing the code flash.

2 - Yeah that's about right through companies like Retrofitmybimmer, Bimmertech, etc.

3 - 8.8" touchscreen requires no modifications except for coding to support the new screen. This can be done prior to install by a vendor like Retrofitmybimmer so it's completely plug and play (you won't have to do the coding at time of install). I had an older, non-touchscreen 8.8" screen and upgraded to the 8.8" touchscreen. It was well worth the investment to upgrade, in my opinion.

Upgrading to a 10" touchscreen is definitely possible. It requires coding to support, same scenario as above. But it will also require some slight trimming of the rear of the screen plastic to fit properly in your F80. Tommy L Garage has a great video on YouTube on how he did it. It's easy, but I just didn't feel like doing the extra work for a slightly larger screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL_iwLQpFI0&ab_channel=TommyLGarage

4 - Can't speak to the 2015 model, I believe there are some features lost for whatever reason in the 2015 model year vs. any other. Perhaps someone else can chime in here.

5 - Sound Quality - if you stick with OEM, there is absolutely no loss in sound quality. That's exactly why i wanted to stick with the OEM swap vs. the cheap Bimmertech MMI module/Aliexpress MMI module. That uses analog audio output I believe and from reading on the forums here from other members, there are a lot of audio issues with that. Your mileage may vary with that solution but I wanted to avoid all that and just stick with OEM to OEM swap and retain full functionality and audio quality.

Thanks for responding. Definitely helps! I’m going the oem route for sure and possible thinking of the built in GPS to really retain factory functionality. I probably won’t ever use the factory gps but it will likely annoy me to have things missing hahaha OCD like that😂
I will say I've never once used the factory GPS on my M4. On my prior 328 I used it a lot before completely converting to Waze. Now Waze is all I use, so factory navigation is worthless to me. That said I definitely understand not wanting to lose a feature or functionality.
__________________
Rob
2016 F82 ///M4 Black Sapphire Metallic | instagram | My Build Thread
2018 G01 X3 xDrive30i Alpine White
2014 F30 328i Mineral Grey (traded in for M4)
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 05:21 PM   #20
sagi
Private First Class
23
Rep
131
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Is there a way to check if my head unit is NBT evo without taking it apart? Such as the system settings/menu?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 05:49 PM   #21
bsm.m4
Lieutenant
bsm.m4's Avatar
United_States
426
Rep
569
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NoVa

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagi View Post
Is there a way to check if my head unit is NBT evo without taking it apart? Such as the system settings/menu?
Yes, check out this guide:

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/ite...cic-nbt-nbtevo

Another easy way is to simply go to your maps information screen.

Pull up the navigation (the actual map) on the iDrive screen and then once you're there, press option on the iDrive controller. There should be something called software information- press that and it will give you your navigation map version.

If you have NBT Evo, it will state as such in the name. (See pic below - this is old, from a Google search)
Attached Images
 
__________________
Rob
2016 F82 ///M4 Black Sapphire Metallic | instagram | My Build Thread
2018 G01 X3 xDrive30i Alpine White
2014 F30 328i Mineral Grey (traded in for M4)
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 03:24 AM   #22
hanafimahmoud
Private First Class
59
Rep
185
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dubai

iTrader: (0)

Is head-up display working as expected? any issues with BMW nav?
not sure if CarPlay supports head up display yet or not
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST