proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

12-11-2014, 10:31 PM   #155
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
tire size is increased by 10mm from previous- which helps, but with more power/torque i am afraid the rears will be squirrely again
How do you find the traction on your M3? I've test driven both the F82 and F80 a few times now and was somewhat surprised at how easy it was to break loose the rear tires, particularly given their size.

When letting off the throttle in sweeping turns, traction was fine. Then again, off-throttle grip in the C63 is fine too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
The interior of the C63 is great... exterior is OK but I really wish MB went wider in the rear.

MB never seems to like to make the C63 wider in the flanks than the standard car and I've never understood that. Something about the rear lights and the narrow profile just doesn't scream awesome to me. Love the exhaust and diffuser though.

Performance aside, I have to say that BMW has done (IMO only) a much better job on exterior style but that is subjective. For a car a muscular as a C63, it should LOOK more the part too.
Yeah I agree re: the taillights. But I do like the diffuser and integrated quad exhaust.

AMG did a pretty good job on the wheel choices though, IMO.

Also nice to have 6-piston fixed front calipers standard (carbon ceramics are optional).

Probably my favorite interior scheme:

Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 10:39 PM   #156
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Something about the rear lights and the narrow profile just doesn't scream awesome to me.
Yeah ... the rear end doesn't look right to me - kinda scrunched or something. It also reminds me of a fluffy bunny, but I can't place why.

The interior is gorgeous but I'm not a fan of the floating tablet - looks like an add-on rather than a built-in.

Performance forgives a lot of sins in my book though.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 10:43 PM   #157
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Those numbers are from MB. If you saw my reply to your question from yesterday, I indicated that the standard W205 is 3,615 lbs with fluids, no driver, and the fuel tank at 90% full.
figure out where my bad was. Kept reading the numbers for C63 S and thinking it was just C63....

What is MB's history of accuracy on curb weight vs reality?
      12-11-2014, 10:45 PM   #158
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Yeah ... the rear end doesn't look right to me - kinda scrunched or something. It also reminds me of a fluffy bunny, but I can't place why.

The interior is gorgeous but I'm not a fan of the floating tablet - looks like an add-on rather than a built-in.

I had the same reaction as you regarding the multimedia screen.

In person, especially when the car is on, it looks phenomenal. The display is crystal clear and it's very easy to quickly see/read everything on the screen. MB's new HUD is pretty slick too.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 10:52 PM   #159
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
figure out where my bad was. Kept reading the numbers for C63 S and thinking it was just C63....

What is MB's history of accuracy on curb weight vs reality?
MB's claimed curb weight for the W204 C63 is 3,816 lbs. Mine came in at 3,820 lbs with 1/4 tank of gas, no driver, and no luggage (I have every option box ticked except I opted for the seats with alcantara/DINAMICA inserts instead of full leather; don't know if that somehow saves weight).

However, I've seen W204 C63s weigh in at 3,950 lbs (max). http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/specs.html
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 11:12 PM   #160
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

Thumbs down You can't get 6MT on the Mercedes.

The Mercedes is NOT available with a manual transmission. That alone, is a deal killer for me!!

My build: M4 Coupe/Sakhir Orange/Sakhir Orange Full Leather/Carbon Fiber Interior Trim/6MT/Moonroof/19" Light Alloys/Adaptive M Suspension/Executive Pkg./Moonroof/Power Rear Sunshade/HK Audio/Enhanced USB & Bluetooth/Top & Side View Cameras
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 02:29 AM   #161
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
How do you find the traction on your M3? I've test driven both the F82 and F80 a few times now and was somewhat surprised at how easy it was to break loose the rear tires, particularly given their size.

When letting off the throttle in sweeping turns, traction was fine. Then again, off-throttle grip in the C63 is fine too.

Yeah I agree re: the taillights. But I do like the diffuser and integrated quad exhaust.

AMG did a pretty good job on the wheel choices though, IMO.
Let me preface this by saying I enjoyed my old C63, LOVED the engine- it was a masterpiece. Reliable and built like a rock the 3 years I had it.

Here is a couple of examples I have among many with the tire/handling issue-

On my commute to work there is a section of the freeway where it is a long 2 lane extended 60 degree turn. Typically, I will drive between 60-70 mph through this.

Sometimes if there are no cars, I will go 80-90 mph. In the c63 there is a section of uneven pavement where the C will become unsettled and rear will shuffle, with TC cutting power.

My old 335i and the x5 (315 rears) handled the pavement with complete poise, at the same speed. TC does not come on, the rears do not shuffle. the m3 is also completely fine.

Another example is when there is a 70 degree turn to a freeway onramp. I will take it fast (again only late at nite when there are no other cars visible or people)- the C will slide and lose traction, with the rears shuffling.

fyi- I had Bridgestone S-04 pole position tires on that car.

As far as the M3, the only times I have TC come on is when I am punching it, which is to be expected, same as the C. It is very easy to lose traction on the M3, the DCT shifts so hard the rears come loose. The M handles very confidently.

IMHO- the old c needed wider rear stance, and fatter tires. the new c may have the same concerns.

I agree those new wheels look amazing

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S

Last edited by dkhm3; 12-12-2014 at 05:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 10:08 AM   #162
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Let me preface this by saying I enjoyed my old C63, LOVED the engine- it was a masterpiece. Reliable and built like a rock the 3 years I had it.

On my commute to work there is a section of the freeway where it is a long 2 lane extended 60 degree turn. Typically, I will drive between 60-70 mph through this.

Sometimes if there are no cars, I will go 80-90 mph. In the c63 there is a section of uneven pavement where the C will become unsettled and rear will shuffle, with TC cutting power.

My old 335i and the x5 (315 rears) handled the pavement with complete poise, at the same speed. TC does not come on, the rears do not shuffle. the m3 is also completely fine.

Another example is when there is a 70 degree turn to a freeway onramp. I will take it fast (again only late at nite when there are no other cars visible or people)- the C will slide and lose traction, with the rears shuffling.

As far as the M3, the only times I have TC come on is when I am punching it, which is to be expected, same as the C. It is very easy to lose traction on the M3, the DCT shifts so hard the rears come loose. The M handles very confidently.

IMHO- the old c needed wider rear stance, and fatter tires. the new c may have the same concerns.

While tires may play a factor in how the car takes a turn, this is more about suspension and dampening. My e92 328 xDrive would get out of shape if you hit a bump mid-corner. My fathers 2014 C300 does not. It depends how the car is set-up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2014, 10:10 AM   #163
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post

The COMAND screen is actually really nice. It looks horrible in pictures, but once you actually sit in the car and see it, it doesn't look bad at all. It is something that you need to see with your own eyes though.

Pictures do not do it justice.
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #164
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev ///Me View Post
While tires may play a factor in how the car takes a turn, this is more about suspension and dampening. My e92 328 xDrive would get out of shape if you hit a bump mid-corner. My fathers 2014 C300 does not. It depends how the car is set-up.
absolutely right. the suspension geometry, and these days the shocks, makes all the difference. good shock technology is completely changing how we can expect cars to handle while still maintaining excellent ride comfort. its apparent in the m3, but the new 991 is the best example and calibration ive experienced

the point about the tires was simply that the setup they are going with isn't ideal for performance, same as the m3 as we have seen from reviews and from my personal experience on track.

hopefully there is room to add more wheel width, since that monster v8 is going to require it

looking forward to this car and the rs variants of the a4 and also the a3, that could be cool
      12-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #165
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
absolutely right. the suspension geometry, and these days the shocks, makes all the difference. good shock technology is completely changing how we can expect cars to handle while still maintaining excellent ride comfort. its apparent in the m3, but the new 991 is the best example and calibration ive experienced

the point about the tires was simply that the setup they are going with isn't ideal for performance, same as the m3 as we have seen from reviews and from my personal experience on track.

hopefully there is room to add more wheel width, since that monster v8 is going to require it

looking forward to this car and the rs variants of the a4 and also the a3, that could be cool
When I first drove the 991, I was very impressed on how the car soaked up bumps and kept it's composure! Very well done.

Mercedes knows 99% of the owners that actually buy the car aren't going anywhere near the track. Probably spirited drives every now and again. The hardware is there though, just needs to be swapped out for more track oriented hardware. I'm sure there's enough room up swap out the rear's to at least 275's without any modification or rubbing.
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #166
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I like everything a lot minus that ridiculous tablet in the middle. BMW did a great job with the integration of theirs but this looks like a massive Garmin unit in the middle.
      12-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #167
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I like everything a lot minus that ridiculous tablet in the middle. BMW did a great job with the integration of theirs but this looks like a massive Garmin unit in the middle.
With BMW, you get half an iPad instead of a full iPad. It's essentially the same thing.
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 04:48 PM   #168
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B View Post
The Mercedes is NOT available with a manual transmission. That alone, is a deal killer for me!!

My build: M4 Coupe/Sakhir Orange/Sakhir Orange Full Leather/Carbon Fiber Interior Trim/6MT/Moonroof/19" Light Alloys/Adaptive M Suspension/Executive Pkg./Moonroof/Power Rear Sunshade/HK Audio/Enhanced USB & Bluetooth/Top & Side View Cameras
No 991 911 Turbo for you either!

Regardless, congrats on the new M4! Enjoy in good health.

Quote:

That sounds more like a suspension/chassis-related problem that you were encountering. That is why I mentioned that the '12+ LCI C63s received entirely new suspensions.

The LCI models benefit from a redesigned front axle, a reinforced rear axle, and a significantly wider front track. The LCI models also received stiffer elastokinematics, revised geometry with more negative camber, and a larger rear stabilizer bar. The '12+ LCI W204s also got revised spring and damper rates (which would substantially help things such as tire vibration).

Regardless, all that matters now is that you love your new M3. At the moment, the F80 is simply one of the best performance cars out there for the money.

Keep on enjoying it safely my friend!

Quote:
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post

How are you liking your new M3? You have a write-up anywhere?

Quote:
With BMW, you get half an iPad instead of a full iPad. It's essentially the same thing.
True. These iPad-type screens are here to stay, irrespective of manufacturer. While they may at first glance appear to be an eyesore, when these screens are "on," they are very easy to use/read.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 07:43 PM   #169
bimmerj
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
No 991 911 Turbo for you either!

Regardless, congrats on the new M4! Enjoy in good health.

That sounds more like a suspension/chassis-related problem that you were encountering. That is why I mentioned that the '12+ LCI C63s received entirely new suspensions.

The LCI models benefit from a redesigned front axle, a reinforced rear axle, and a significantly wider front track. The LCI models also received stiffer elastokinematics, revised geometry with more negative camber, and a larger rear stabilizer bar. The '12+ LCI W204s also got revised spring and damper rates (which would substantially help things such as tire vibration).

Regardless, all that matters now is that you love your new M3. At the moment, the F80 is simply one of the best performance cars out there for the money.

Keep on enjoying it safely my friend!

+1

How are you liking your new M3? You have a write-up anywhere?

True. These iPad-type screens are here to stay, irrespective of manufacturer. While they may at first glance appear to be an eyesore, when these screens are "on," they are very easy to use/read.
I think the Ipad looking tablet is going to change angle soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 01:27 PM   #170
bimmerj
Captain
Canada
Rep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=C2g_QUgfYZI
From MBworld.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 01:49 PM   #171
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerj View Post
This is killing me... for anyone who knows me, I really want to love this car. The interior . The sound . The performance is very likely .

BUT... I find it is so soft looking and round. Almost like a little S Class. At the beginning of the video the rear could have been a C/E/S Class and the only thing that made if AMG was the exhaust. It doesn't say mean, sporty or eat your kids like the last gen car. As always, I will reserve judgement until I see it in person but I'm worried MB went too generic and too much E/S Class in this car. Please MB... Please MB... make the C63 coupe wide, mean and aggressive. No rounded rear. Less soft lines.

I really want this to be an internal brain argument for me in 3 years with the M4 but I'm worried I can't get over the soft and bubbly exterior style.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #172
fortressmaximus
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal
Quote:
This is killing me... for anyone who knows me, I really want to love this car. The interior . The sound . The performance is very likely .

BUT... I find it is so soft looking and round. Almost like a little S Class. At the beginning of the video the rear could have been a C/E/S Class and the only thing that made if AMG was the exhaust. It doesn't say mean, sporty or eat your kids like the last gen car. As always, I will reserve judgement until I see it in person but I'm worried MB went too generic and too much E/S Class in this car. Please MB... Please MB... make the C63 coupe wide, mean and aggressive. No rounded rear. Less soft lines.

I really want this to be an internal brain argument for me in 3 years with the M4 but I'm worried I can't get over the soft and bubbly exterior style.
The exterior is way too tame and boring in my opinion. It does not look menacing or mean whatsoever. I'm sure that performance-wise the car will be great though.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 02:34 PM   #173
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I hear ya. Your suggestions would only make the car better, as far as aesthetics are concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortressmaximus View Post
The exterior is way too tame and boring in my opinion. It does not look menacing or mean whatsoever. I'm sure that performance-wise the car will be great though.
I kind of like the sleeper look though, which is one of the reasons I chose the W204 C63 sedan (over the coupe). I don't care so much about the bark, just give me the bite.

Still, I think the front looks plenty aggressive. Same with the wheels/brakes.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #174
fortressmaximus
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34
Quote:

I hear ya. Your suggestions would only make the car better, as far as aesthetics are concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortressmaximus View Post
I kind of like the sleeper look though, which is one of the reasons I chose the W204 C63 sedan (over the coupe). I don't care so much about the bark, just give me the bite.

Still, I think the front looks plenty aggressive. Same with the wheels/brakes.
The front is hands down the best part. Side profile is pretty solid, but that rear half of the car just isn't that differentiating or aggressive enough in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 04:51 PM   #175
bimmerj
Captain
Canada
Rep

I don't like the rear. I am going to wait for the coupe.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 04:56 PM   #176
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
I don't like the rear. I am going to wait for the coupe.
Me too... hopefully it is better done and then the car will be a monster.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0