Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-19-2024, 01:37 PM   #1
Mb1290
Registered
Rep
Drives: M4

Are 3rd party warranties through dealerships worth it?

Hi, this is my first post so please forgive me if it’s in the wrong section.

So, I brought my first M car 10days ago from an independent dealer. F82 M4 competition, 2019 33k miles 2 owners. Full bmw service history, or so the I drive says. Very happy with the car. However, today I took it to main dealer as I wanted to discuss warranty options and servicing pack. They scanned the key and the bmw tech guy told me that in actual fact the car hadn’t been serviced at bmw, dispite it saying so on the idrive. Apparently it looked like it had been serviced at Halfords and had been coded in to look like it had full bmw service history. He said it may well of been a company car for someone at Halfords and had all the servicing carried out by them.

So I rang my dealer who sold me the car and explained the situation to them. They sounded genuinely surprised and rang back a few hours later after speaking to bmw and confirmed what I had said to be true.

Now because my car hasn’t had the run in service done by bmw the bmw tech said it would be very unlikely they would cover the car. However, the dealership has offered me 2 year’s fully comprehensive warranty as compensation.

I guess my question is, what would you do in my position, are 3rd part warranty’s worth it from dealers? I believe they use auto protect. The car is pretty flawless otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 01:51 PM   #2
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

bmws don't tell you where the service was done on the idrive. anyone can reset the CBS...if they scanned key and told you that service wasnt done at bmw then not that big of a deal if you trust the service records, which idk what you are looking at because the idrive doesnt tell you anything besides when it was last reset.

if the dealer is giving you a third party warranty for free for two years then take it.

again not to insult but looks like you have very little knowloedge of whats going on, and asking a blanket question on what a 3rd party warranty will cover without actually reading it yourself won't get you anywhere.

first get service records, if you cant then or and a
ppi. then read the extended warranty details and report back

but a free 2 year warranty is clutch
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 02:31 PM   #3
Mb1290
Registered
Rep
Drives: M4

I’ll be honest I don’t know a great deal as this is my first bmw. However on the I drive under the service history all of the service intervals say they have been done by bmw, including the run in service. However the bmw service tech is saying that in actual fact none of the servicing has been done by bmw, and that most have been done by Halfords. Including the run in.

As for all the 3rd party warranty docs, I’m still waiting for them to send them over. I just wanted to know other people’s experiences of 3rd party warranty’s.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 01:18 PM   #4
sergbaja5t
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92-M3 Comp

Yes!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 12:29 PM   #5
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, M3 ZCP, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
An extended warranty is good for if you plan to keep the car past the initial factory warranty. But be aware that extended warranties do not cover everything. Take a transmission for instance, your warranty might cover clutch packs, but not the pump or gears for example. So, read the fine print.
      03-08-2024, 01:25 PM   #6
sergbaja5t
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92-M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuille36 View Post
An extended warranty is good for if you plan to keep the car past the initial factory warranty. But be aware that extended warranties do not cover everything. Take a transmission for instance, your warranty might cover clutch packs, but not the pump or gears for example. So, read the fine print.

I had Fildelity extended, and i made sure they covered engine (full) when i signed up. Glad I did, was stranded 1k miles from home, and got a new engine out it.
Its always wise to read the fine print on any contract.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 11:25 AM   #7
TonyDC
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Competition

I bought a 2020 M4 in February and added a 5 year extended warranty to the purchase. I doubt I'll keep the car for 5 years but what's nice with this warranty is if I sell the car before the warranty expires I can cash out the remaining time.
Appreciate 0