proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-09-2023, 02:10 AM   #1
cupef82
Rep
Drives: bmw f82

60-130 sub 7?

I am wondering what mods I would need to get sub 7 seconds 60-130 on my f82. Planning on getting vrsf downpipes, aswell as vrsf front mount air intakes and also a tune. all feedback is appreciated thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 05:08 AM   #2
Idfkman
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Drop in intake filters, downpipes, custom ethanol mix tune (let the tuner know your goal,) and sticky tires.

EU5 injectors will allow you to run safer rail pressure at higher ethanol content %’s. Not required but injectors are a common failpoint on e85.

The mods in my sig have gotten me a sub 7 second 60-130. Flex fuel tuned by AB Performance on BM3.
      11-10-2023, 02:56 AM   #3
cupef82
Rep
Drives: bmw f82

would a f80paul e85 custom tune do the trick. I've never tuned before and if I need to get a custom one how would I go about doing that?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 07:25 AM   #4
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

Refer to this thread if you havent: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1383036

You can also download the Draggy phone app and look at the leaderboards. You can filter by brand and car so you can see what other times F82s are running.

I would divide 'necessary modifications' into two categories: 1) what you actually need to make the horesepower and 2) what you need in supporting mods to reliably make that horsepower in back to back runs safely.

The only thing you REALLY need to get a sub 7 second 60-130 time is an E85 tune. You could buy a BootMod3 tune and run their Off-the-shelf E85 tune and get under 7 seconds depending on transmission, tires, conditions, etc..

To make the E85 tune 'safe' you really need to increase fueling ability through EU5 injectors, upgraded high pressure fuel pump, or several other options because you are basically at the top limit of the stock fuel system.

Then you have supporting mods: charge pipes that wont split at higher boost, catless downpipes to reduce backpressure, aftermarket intakes are debatably not required, aftermarket heat exchanger for intercooler, CRANK HUB, fuzzy dice for mirror.

In my DCT car, I know the BM3 OTS E30 tune nets me a 7.3 second 60-130.
      11-10-2023, 07:31 AM   #5
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupef82 View Post
I've never tuned before and if I need to get a custom one how would I go about doing that?
When it comes to tuning a car, it's never a good idea to just 'let someone else do it all' and then you just drive the car. You need to educate yourself on the whole process so you have some sort of fighting chance of fixing an issue if (and when) it might arise.

I would first choose your tuning platform, and then start by learning how that tuning software is installed and used. Once you are comfortable connecting the car to the tuning software, selecting a tune, adjusting the available settings, and flashing the tune to the car, then you can call PaulF80 or whomever and let them walk you through the necessary steps to get a custom tune from them for your car.
      11-11-2023, 03:51 PM   #6
Idfkman
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWhiteF80 View Post
When it comes to tuning a car, it's never a good idea to just 'let someone else do it all' and then you just drive the car. You need to educate yourself on the whole process so you have some sort of fighting chance of fixing an issue if (and when) it might arise.

I would first choose your tuning platform, and then start by learning how that tuning software is installed and used. Once you are comfortable connecting the car to the tuning software, selecting a tune, adjusting the available settings, and flashing the tune to the car, then you can call PaulF80 or whomever and let them walk you through the necessary steps to get a custom tune from them for your car.
Agree with this start with the basics. Buy a tuning platform license. Start with stage 1 and work your way through the physical mods and learn more about the platform in the process.

If my sole goal was a sub 7 60-130 I’d do the following:

*Chat with Ian at Bend Calibration. He has a wealth of knowledge and is the best communicator of all the tuners I’ve spoken with. Tell him your goal and he’ll let you know exactly what you need. He tunes on BM3 and Ecutek but prefers Ecutek.*

- BM3/MHD/EcuTek Tuning License (Pick one depending on your preferred tuner)

- Custom Flex Fuel Tune from a reputable tuner (or straight e85 if that’s what you’ll run 24/7 (not recommended)) (Flex Fuel will require a Flex Fuel module specific to your tuning platform. Flex fuel allows you to mix any amount of E85 with 91/93.) Lots of good info in here regarding tuners for flex fuel: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2012785

- EU5 Injectors for safely running e85. Stock injectors are known to fail on e85 tunes. EU5 injectors have more flow.

- Catless downpipes. VRSF or MAD are the cheapest and work fine.

- Widest 200tw tires you can fit. Or, Mickey Thompson ET Street R’s if your sole purpose is 60-130 grip while sacrificing cornering, wet traction, and tread life.

- Remove weight i.e passenger and rear seats, lighter wheels etc.
      11-11-2023, 08:14 PM   #7
Schemxr
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

for stock turbos:
intakes, chargepipes, downpipes and a good e85 tune

i recommend abperformance
Appreciate 0