European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

06-24-2019, 01:30 PM   #45
matty088
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Thanks for this info. That is another indication that, as originally reported, the M3cs is more softly sprung than the M4cs.

I wonder why BMW did that...
it makes sense to me. the coding is softer too. Is what it is
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 01:50 PM   #46
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty088 View Post
it makes sense to me. the coding is softer too. Is what it is
It doesn't to me either. The M4 CS rides better and feels softer than my ZCP did in stock form. What I think is weird is that each progressive model is said to be stiffer but, I think actually ride better than the previous ones.

Base was terrible, ZCP was great and the M4 CS is the best yet IMO for ride quality. I wouldn't want it any softer, it would be interesting to drive a M3 CS back to back with my car to see if there is any noticeable difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 01:58 PM   #47
matty088
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
It doesn't to me either. The M4 CS rides better and feels softer than my ZCP did in stock form. What I think is weird is that each progressive model is said to be stiffer but, I think actually ride better than the previous ones.

Base was terrible, ZCP was great and the M4 CS is the best yet IMO for ride quality. I wouldn't want it any softer, it would be interesting to drive a M3 CS back to back with my car to see if there is any noticeable difference.
ride quality "where", you know. If i lived in city areas road imperfections would bother me more. I say the tighter the better in my area (Connecticut). Therefore zcp>cs. Particularly in EDC coding.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 02:03 PM   #48
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
ride quality "where", you know. If i lived in city areas road imperfections would bother me more. I say the tighter the better in my area (Connecticut). Therefore zcp>cs. Particularly in EDC coding.
Everybody has their likes/dislikes when it comes to feel. But, firmer isn't necessarily better. And I'm not saying the CS isn't tight feeling or worse handling by any stretch, it just handles imperfections better than my ZCP in stock form did. I'll take that every day.

Also, coding will only get you so far. It isn't apples to apples depending on a lot of factors as you know.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 02:08 PM   #49
matty088
Major
Rep

Quote:
Everybody has their likes/dislikes when it comes to feel. But, firmer isn't necessarily better. And I'm not saying the CS isn't tight feeling or worse handling by any stretch, it just handles imperfections better than my ZCP in stock form did. I'll take that every day.

Also, coding will only get you so far. It isn't apples to apples depending on a lot of factors as you know.
You are right

Id wager a zcp with cs coding is probably ideal for the median person. Its definitely a more comfortable ride with a higher quality more refined feel.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 02:56 PM   #50
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
As good as it is, I will say it was much easier to be a believer at 79k than 104,500. I'm not sure I make the switch at even the mid 90s. That would've been a much tougher decision.
not to mention, (what sounds like) a great trade in on your current 2018 ZCP

Congrats on the deal and the new car
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      06-24-2019, 03:27 PM   #51
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
not to mention, (what sounds like) a great trade in on your current 2018 ZCP

Congrats on the deal and the new car
Thanks, much appreciated.

I got 61k in trade plus labor help in switching my mods over. From what I'm hearing anything over 60 is pretty good and I had 14k miles on mine. So not the lowest mileage for a one year old car.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 03:32 PM   #52
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
I do wonder if some of the perception of a smoother ride is more due to the muted suspension impact sounds over bumps vs. the CP & base coding where it does sometimes crash through the body structure.

Thanks O/P for your feedback, especially since you've had actual track experience on various suspension set-ups including your ZCP w/ CS coding and how you managed to improve by 2 seconds off the bat on a stock CS.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 05:04 PM   #53
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
I do wonder if some of the perception of a smoother ride is more due to the muted suspension impact sounds over bumps vs. the CP & base coding where it does sometimes crash through the body structure.

Thanks O/P for your feedback, especially since you've had actual track experience on various suspension set-ups including your ZCP w/ CS coding and how you managed to improve by 2 seconds off the bat on a stock CS.
If you are comparing stock to stock, for me, it has a lot to do with 666m wheels the ZCP has. 20" (way heavier rims) and stiffer spring rates doesn't make it a super comfortable ride. Not to mention the notifiable stiffer rebound, I found just annoying. non ZCP suspension was floaty on rebound, stock ZCP suspension was stiffer and I found that to be annoying too.

As soon as I switched to FI-Rs the feel in steering was improved a lot. Then of course switching into KW DDC with CS EDC coding changed the feeling of my car significantly. Is it close to CS car? I'm honestly not sure, it might be one of those person to person type things but most of the hardware of the CS can be retrofitted. The only thing you cannot fully replicate is the CS tune BMW does. BMW has a odd ability to tune their cars so uniquely that it's just close to impossible to 100% replicate.
      06-24-2019, 08:22 PM   #54
matty088
Major
Rep

Why wouldn’t a cs coded ZCP car handle more sporty/firm/better than a cs? It has the same software but more aggressive hardware.

Then run a bm3 stage 1. And it’s good night.

The negative obviously is warranty. But these cars are starting to age. Warranty is going away anyways.

I do love the hood and lip spoiler though and that blue is exceptional. But I think from a pure performance perspective the ZCP car is the better choice.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 02:48 PM   #55
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
This worries me as I'm about to get rid of my Non-ZCP 2016 for a ZCP 2020.

The 2016 feels like a wild animal that I've learned to control and I love that about it.

You guys are kinda making the ZCP and CS seem tame and dare I say boring down low. Having 2nd thoughts.
After (possibly a little embarrassing) having all three (Civic M3, 6MT ZCP and now CS) maybe I can help a little.

My 15 DCT M3 felt like I was on the ragged edge of control when driving hard at all times. I didn't find it fun and ultimately ended up disliking the car quite a bit in the end. MDM sucked sweaty hairy nuts and killed the fun all the time/immediately. Or maybe it kept alive so maybe I should thank it.

My 18 6MT ZCP felt quite a bit slower with a narrower power band. Sport was ok, but it needed to be in Sport+ to feel even close to my 15. Even then it still never built speed like I remembered from my 15. But, I had 2 and a 1/2 years in 500 plus horse GT350 in between them so that probably didn't help. MDM much better still a tad too intrusive.

My M4 CS test drive immediately reminded me of what a beast the 15 was, but with way better suspension/chassis characteristics. Easily the best MDM version of the three with the widest most usable power band IMO.

Not apples to apples I know, but something and no I'm never getting a GTS.
Thanks Minn. Congrats on the new CS. I almost pulled the trigger on one also.

I'm excited to get my 20' ZCP in a few weeks. Worst case scenario is that I have to tune it and take my chances with the crank hub.
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      06-25-2019, 02:50 PM   #56
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Why wouldn’t a cs coded ZCP car handle more sporty/firm/better than a cs? It has the same software but more aggressive hardware.

The negative obviously is warranty. But these cars are starting to age. Warranty is going away anyways.

I do love the hood and lip spoiler though and that blue is exceptional. But I think from a pure performance perspective the ZCP car is the better choice.
Theoretically sure. I'm not sure about your conclusion and most likely it'll never be truly tested or known. Some things don't always mix and match like people think they will.

My warranty isn't going away for 3 years 361 days or 49,800 miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 02:51 PM   #57
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

I'm excited to get my 20' ZCP in a few weeks. Worst case scenario is that I have to tune it and take my chances with the crank hub.
Thx, congrats on yours as well. There is no perfect car unfortunately. Fortunately all of these are damn amazing cars.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2019, 03:03 PM   #58
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thx, congrats on yours as well. There is no perfect car unfortunately. Fortunately all of these are damn amazing cars.
Agreed. I'm always "searching" for the perfect car for me. Everyones criteria is different. Right now BMW ///Ms are where it's at as they check many of my boxes. Enjoy the new ride. The CS is sweet!
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      06-25-2019, 03:07 PM   #59
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Agreed. I'm always "searching" for the perfect car for me. Everyones criteria is different. Right now BMW ///Ms are where it's at as they check many of my boxes. Enjoy the new ride. The CS is sweet!
Thanks, you as well! You'll have to let me know how the new DCT ZCP feels compared to your current car. I'm genuinely interested in if it was the 6MT that made it feel slower or if it truly was the engine mapping.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2019, 03:22 PM   #60
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
If you are comparing stock to stock, for me, it has a lot to do with 666m wheels the ZCP has. 20" (way heavier rims) and stiffer spring rates doesn't make it a super comfortable ride. Not to mention the notifiable stiffer rebound, I found just annoying. non ZCP suspension was floaty on rebound, stock ZCP suspension was stiffer and I found that to be annoying too.

As soon as I switched to FI-Rs the feel in steering was improved a lot. Then of course switching into KW DDC with CS EDC coding changed the feeling of my car significantly. Is it close to CS car? I'm honestly not sure, it might be one of those person to person type things but most of the hardware of the CS can be retrofitted. The only thing you cannot fully replicate is the CS tune BMW does. BMW has a odd ability to tune their cars so uniquely that it's just close to impossible to 100% replicate.
Did you compare stock suspension with CS EDC vs KW DDC with CS EDC? what were your impressions?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 04:00 PM   #61
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post

Did you compare stock suspension with CS EDC vs KW DDC with CS EDC? what were your impressions?

I didn't do so because I switched out my stock suspension before I did my coding. But I remember how floaty my non-ZCP 15' M4 was and I found the rebounding just aggravating. Half of the time I felt that the car was going to literally float up and away.

KW DDC w/ CS EDC coding feels good. Comfort is very comfy. Sport feels a like a good in between which is what I tend to use when I get lazy. Sport+ is very stiff, you feel everything. But the most important part is that dampening and rebound is noticeable between all three settings. You literally feel the car change now, unlike stock suspension where the dampening seems to not change but the rebound does.
minn1913970.00
      06-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #62
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:

The damping needs to be matched to the spring rates for optimal ride/handling results. As has been discussed in this thread, it seems that BMW elected to use the non-CP spring rates on the M3cs, which means a more stiffly sprung M3CP would be under-damped when coded with the M3cs EDC. It would be interesting to try the M4cs EDC coding on an CP M3 (if it is even possible), since the M4cs is specced with the CP spring rates. But even then, the front swaybar would need to be changed to a softer non-CP one for more optimal results.

Note that stiffer does not necessarily imply better performance. In general terms softer suspension tuning translates to increased overall grip while stiffer translates to a sharper handling response.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 06-25-2019 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      06-25-2019, 05:03 PM   #63
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
The damping needs to be matched to the spring rates for optimal ride/handling results. As has been discussed in this thread, it seems that BMW elected to use the non-CP spring rates on the M3cs, which means a more stiffly sprung M3CP would be under-damped when coded with the M3cs EDC. It would be interesting to try the M4cs EDC coding on an CP M3 (if it is even possible), since the M4cs is specced with the CP spring rates. But even then, the front swaybar would need to be changed to a softer non-CP one for more optimal results.

Note that stiffer does not necessarily imply better performance. In general terms softer suspension tuning translates to increased overall grip while stiffer translates to a sharper handling response.
From what I discussed with Alex, the CS coding is generic for both M3 and M4.

The shocks are valved the same (same dyno curves) and for a certain spring rate range (which the ZCP/Base springs fall into).

It's possible that there is a scaling factor applied based on the measurements
taken from the shock acceleration sensor (sensing the up and down motions
of the wheel when hitting bumps) and telling the electronic adjuster at the top of the shock to stiffen/soften the shock.

So if the M4 runs stiffer springs vs the M3, then it may not matter in the end, since the sensor really is the one determining the appropriate shock adjustment based on wheel motion (up/down).
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 07:22 PM   #64
matty088
Major
Rep

Quote:

Well I actually agree. I think ZCP is best with ZCP coding. I have been whining about it since I made the change. I am hoping bm3 adds this so I can go back and forth and really test it back to back. .
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 03:14 AM   #65
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, you as well! You'll have to let me know how the new DCT ZCP feels compared to your current car. I'm genuinely interested in if it was the 6MT that made it feel slower or if it truly was the engine mapping.
Will do. My 1st Performance Center pickup is in a few weeks. It's gonna be something fun and different then the EDs we have done in the past.
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      06-26-2019, 04:56 AM   #66
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
From what I discussed with Alex, the CS coding is generic for both M3 and M4.

The shocks are valved the same (same dyno curves) and for a certain spring rate range (which the ZCP/Base springs fall into).

It's possible that there is a scaling factor applied based on the measurements
taken from the shock acceleration sensor (sensing the up and down motions
of the wheel when hitting bumps) and telling the electronic adjuster at the top of the shock to stiffen/soften the shock.

So if the M4 runs stiffer springs vs the M3, then it may not matter in the end, since the sensor really is the one determining the appropriate shock adjustment based on wheel motion (up/down).
I am surprised BMW would use the exact same EDC software for the F80 and F82 chassis. The two cars have different weight distribution and Cg heights. IMO, it’s more than just the accelerometer input, the starting position of the valves would be different.

If BMW really has the same EDC software in the M3cs than in the M4cs, it truly makes the M3cs a half ass effort.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0