EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-27-2017, 03:07 PM   #1
hakcar
**on hiatus**
hakcar's Avatar
62
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: F82
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Question [Launch Control] RPM Adjustment Changes/Disappearance in Non-GTS DCTs?



At the 6:51 mark in the above video, you can see Nick Murray adjusting the RPM in his M4.

It seems that there are reports of the loss of RPM adjustment on non-GTS DCTs, and as a 6MT owner myself, I'd like to get some insights from DCT owners on this, especially those who may have lost RPM adjustment as a result of a software update.

Does RPM adjustment work on your non-GTS DCT? What model year is it? Is it a ZCP? ...etc.

Thanks for any info!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 04:27 PM   #2
rosenbergendo
First Lieutenant
106
Rep
341
Posts

Drives: 2016 Porsche GT3RS, F80 M3,997
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jupiter,FL

iTrader: (0)

See my posts.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 04:36 PM   #3
hakcar
**on hiatus**
hakcar's Avatar
62
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: F82
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenbergendo View Post
See my posts.
Yes, I have seen most of them relating to this, I think (you're pretty active so there's a lot to go by). This thread of yours was the impetus for this separate thread aimed at nailing down specifically 'when' (or, with which software version) the software changed, and as such, what I'm looking to achieve here is pretty specific.

One of your posts seems very relevant:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenbergendo View Post
Ok so I have posted my experiences here about my troubles with my 17 M3 and launch control!
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?p=21600981
BMW sent ECU to Germany and finally they updated it and got car back today Initially was pissed that RPM's still didn't adjust but......amazingly now 3k is the lowest and it allows me to adjust UP to 4.5-5k.
Let me tell you the car launches like a bat outta hell. Not quite like my RS but this MUST be some new version. So finally I'm pleased and wanted to share with everyone else! Figured this was warranted to post in the General area.
(source thread, as yet inactive)

Any other DCT drivers with experiences to share?

edit: after re-reading the post of yours that I quoted, if the Launch Control capability showed up out of nowhere, I wonder if it'd been dependent on adaptations, i.e., whether sufficient time/miles had passed since the update was flashed until when the feature was active... hmm
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 05:46 PM   #4
F82K2S0
Private First Class
United_States
62
Rep
114
Posts

Drives: MG F82
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: 92008

iTrader: (0)

I have owned M3 e92 and M4 f82 and absolutely love every lap I take around the socal tracks as often as possible every season.
Honestly I have never used launch control even a single time in any of my cars. Maybe the people who drag race have a interest in it, for me it might as well not even exist.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 07:20 PM   #5
rosenbergendo
First Lieutenant
106
Rep
341
Posts

Drives: 2016 Porsche GT3RS, F80 M3,997
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jupiter,FL

iTrader: (0)

I have no idea-it seems so finicky. First launch didn't work at all after 1200 mile service and allowed no cruise control RPM adjustment. Then now my current mode of allowing adjustment from 3-5k with it not allowing adjustment BELOW 3k is very diff from the old launch patterns. The guys from Germany came to my dealer and pulled data from my ECU supposedly and uploaded new firmware. I guess I can do a dump tomorrow to give you the version they upgraded me to.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 08:19 PM   #6
MO3
Major
MO3's Avatar
Australia
139
Rep
1,142
Posts

Drives: DCT M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (5)

16 M4 non-ZCP. Had the software updated about a month ago. When activating LC now, RPMs start at 3k and can't be lowered. I was able to lower RPMs before the latest software update. I get a lot of wheel spin at 3k. At 2.5k wheel spin was very minimal.
__________________
Current: 2018 M3 | individual Fire Orange
Gone: 2016 M4 | BSM
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 08:32 PM   #7
hakcar
**on hiatus**
hakcar's Avatar
62
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: F82
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3 View Post
16 M4 non-ZCP. Had the software updated about a month ago. When activating LC now, RPMs start at 3k and can't be lowered. I was able to lower RPMs before the latest software update. I get a lot of wheel spin at 3k. At 2.5k wheel spin was very minimal.
Are you able to raise it between 3k and 5k like rosenbergendo above?

Thanks, btw! Very useful info.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 09:10 PM   #8
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
584
Rep
1,504
Posts

Drives: NA
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

I wonder if the no Spin Launches (basically under 3k) was putting too much stress on axles/diff?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 12:40 PM   #9
MO3
Major
MO3's Avatar
Australia
139
Rep
1,142
Posts

Drives: DCT M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakcar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3 View Post
16 M4 non-ZCP. Had the software updated about a month ago. When activating LC now, RPMs start at 3k and can't be lowered. I was able to lower RPMs before the latest software update. I get a lot of wheel spin at 3k. At 2.5k wheel spin was very minimal.
Are you able to raise it between 3k and 5k like rosenbergendo above?

Thanks, btw! Very useful info.
Yes, I raise it above 3k. Haven't tried to launch above 3k though.
__________________
Current: 2018 M3 | individual Fire Orange
Gone: 2016 M4 | BSM
Appreciate 1
hakcar61.50

      04-28-2017, 01:37 PM   #10
rosenbergendo
First Lieutenant
106
Rep
341
Posts

Drives: 2016 Porsche GT3RS, F80 M3,997
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jupiter,FL

iTrader: (0)

The launch package is definitely different. I just launched at 4.5k and it goes without any wheelspin compared to the youtube videos i've seen of pre 17's. Seems like a diff algorithm.
Appreciate 1
hakcar61.50

      04-28-2017, 01:39 PM   #11
hakcar
**on hiatus**
hakcar's Avatar
62
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: F82
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenbergendo View Post
The launch package is definitely different. I just launched at 4.5k and it goes without any wheelspin compared to the youtube videos i've seen of pre 17's. Seems like a diff algorithm.
I'd wager it's a function of software version on the DKG(/DCT/EGS) as opposed to the model year of the car, although the two are certainly related to some degree (in cases where older cars haven't received updates).

Thanks for the further detail.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 02:09 PM   #12
rosenbergendo
First Lieutenant
106
Rep
341
Posts

Drives: 2016 Porsche GT3RS, F80 M3,997
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jupiter,FL

iTrader: (0)

Wonder what will happen when I code for GTS DCT flash?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 02:13 PM   #13
rosenbergendo
First Lieutenant
106
Rep
341
Posts

Drives: 2016 Porsche GT3RS, F80 M3,997
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jupiter,FL

iTrader: (0)

Latest istep dump that has upward adjustable Launch.
<i-step>F020-17-03-505</i-ste
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 02:25 PM   #14
hakcar
**on hiatus**
hakcar's Avatar
62
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: F82
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenbergendo View Post
Wonder what will happen when I code for GTS DCT flash?
I know a guy who's doing a $100 GTS DCT special through Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenbergendo View Post
Latest istep dump that has upward adjustable Launch.
<i-step>F020-17-03-505</i-ste
That's the latest software out at the moment (61.2). Soon enough (maybe next week?) there'll be a newer version out.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 02:51 PM   #15
///M4TT
18 F82 ZCP
///M4TT's Avatar
United_States
50
Rep
84
Posts

Drives: 18' F82 ZCP in MGM
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Washington State

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakcar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenbergendo View Post
See my posts.
Yes, I have seen most of them relating to this, I think (you're pretty active so there's a lot to go by). This thread of yours was the impetus for this separate thread aimed at nailing down specifically 'when' (or, with which software version) the software changed, and as such, what I'm looking to achieve here is pretty specific.

One of your posts seems very relevant:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenbergendo View Post
Ok so I have posted my experiences here about my troubles with my 17 M3 and launch control!
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?p=21600981
BMW sent ECU to Germany and finally they updated it and got car back today Initially was pissed that RPM's still didn't adjust but......amazingly now 3k is the lowest and it allows me to adjust UP to 4.5-5k.
Let me tell you the car launches like a bat outta hell. Not quite like my RS but this MUST be some new version. So finally I'm pleased and wanted to share with everyone else! Figured this was warranted to post in the General area.
(source thread, as yet inactive)

Any other DCT drivers with experiences to share?

edit: after re-reading the post of yours that I quoted, if the Launch Control capability showed up out of nowhere, I wonder if it'd been dependent on adaptations, i.e., whether sufficient time/miles had passed since the update was flashed until when the feature was active... hmm
Any other DCT drivers with experiences to share?

edit: after re-reading the post of yours that I quoted, if the Launch Control capability showed up out of nowhere, I wonder if it'd been dependent on adaptations, i.e., whether sufficient time/miles had passed since the update was flashed until when the feature was active... hmm[/QUOTE]

I have a 2018 M4 ZCP. I just got back from my 1200 mile service and LC has been activated. My rpms cannot adjust below 3000 but they will adjust up using the cruise control dial. I do not know the upper limit.
__________________
2018 F82 ZCP MGM
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 11:28 PM   #16
whoop_ass
Captain
whoop_ass's Avatar
324
Rep
675
Posts

Drives: non
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: On Earth

iTrader: (0)

DCT here, and with older software could lower the Launch RPM

after BMW software update can't lower it lower than 3k Rpm.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 10:46 PM   #17
Game Changer
Private
3
Rep
82
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cloud 9 USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoop_ass View Post
DCT here, and with older software could lower the Launch RPM

after BMW software update can't lower it lower than 3k Rpm.
New owner of an M4. Same here...can't adjust rpms lower than 3k, which creates a serious traction problem at the drag strip.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 10:59 AM   #18
whoop_ass
Captain
whoop_ass's Avatar
324
Rep
675
Posts

Drives: non
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: On Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Changer View Post
New owner of an M4. Same here...can't adjust rpms lower than 3k, which creates a serious traction problem at the drag strip.
I am on BM3
we should actually see if it can be altered in the software.
unless you have some serious sticky rubber it just ends up in a rolling burnout.LOL!

I am sure it prob quicker just mashing the throttle of the line and short shifting.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
dct, launch control

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST