Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-28-2021, 03:49 PM   #23
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnniqe View Post
Flash counter really doesn’t mean you’ve increased emissions which is the point of a smog test is it not?

Also how does this affect legal tuning which gets approved by the government and put into the vehicles papers, because the software wouldn’t be the original either?
My understanding is that some cars with CARB approved could be flagged because the system is not fully operational but they are working on it. But the Ref can rectify that in the system once he checks the car out. There are some holes that remain with the system. As far as the flash counter, doesn't mean much now but it could in the future as the manufacturer can report the flash counter on your factory ECU and can be compared to current during a smog OBD function check. If they show 3 and you show 10 due to tuning
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf

Last edited by Wanted_M; 01-28-2021 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 02:50 PM   #24
jbwolfe
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

CVN and CAL ID

Just curious as I don't live in California. Does anyone know if these checksums are affected by simple body module changes? For example, I have disabled the active sound that is fed through the speakers and enabled FOB window roll-up and video while in motion. Can anything available in BimmerCode create problems for CARB checks? Not tuned at all- just stock parts/performance.

'15 M3 6MT MetGrey 19s: hull strike 2018
2018 M3 TanzBlue DCT
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 02:59 PM   #25
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

nobody really knows how deep they are checking into the ECU

my guess is they are just checking the engine tune files to see if it matches the OEM map that the company has given them.

probably doesn't make sense for them to waste time and check to see what edc and diff tune your running. And i doubt they have the time or know how to check your ecu logs to see what max boost pressure you hit previous to coming in.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
jbwolfe10.50
      07-16-2021, 05:48 PM   #26
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
nobody really knows how deep they are checking into the ECU

my guess is they are just checking the engine tune files to see if it matches the OEM map that the company has given them.

probably doesn't make sense for them to waste time and check to see what edc and diff tune your running. And i doubt they have the time or know how to check your ecu logs to see what max boost pressure you hit previous to coming in.
It’s not secret and his been out for a while. The regulations are out there. Posted portion discussing CVN and Cal-ID.

(4.7.1) All 20052 and subsequent model year vehicles shall use an algorithm to calculate a calibration verification number (CVN) that verifies the on-board computer software integrity in diagnostic or emission critical powertrain control units. The CVN shall be made available through the standardized data link connector in accordance with the SAE J1979 specifications. The CVN shall be capable of being used to determine if the emission-related software and/or calibration data are valid and applicable for that vehicle and CAL ID. For 50 percent of 2010 and 100 percent of 2011 and subsequent model year vehicles, one CVN shall be made available for each CAL ID made available and each CVN shall be output to a generic scan tool in the same order as the CAL IDs are output to the scan tool to allow the scan tool to match each CVN to the corresponding CAL ID.
(4.7.2) Manufacturers shall request Executive Officer approval of the algorithm used to calculate the CVN. Executive Officer approval of the algorithm shall be based on the complexity of the algorithm and the difficulty in achieving the same CVN with modified calibration values.
(4.7.3) The CVN shall be calculated at least once per driving cycle and stored until the CVN is subsequently updated. The stored CVN value may not be erased when fault memory is erased by a generic scan tool in accordance with SAE J1979 specifications or during normal vehicle shut down (i.e., key off, engine off).
(4.7.4) When a CVN request message is received by the on-board computer, the stored CVN value shall be made available through the data link connector to a generic scan tool.
(A) Except as provided below in sections (g)(4.7.4)(B) and (C), when a CVN request is received, the on-board computer may not respond with negative response codes (i.e., may not use delayed timing in sending the CVN and may not respond with a message indicating the CVN value is not currently available) and may not respond with a default value. Default value is defined as any value or space holder that is not a valid CVN value.
(B) If the CVN request message is received within the first 120 seconds of vehicle operation after a reprogramming event or a non-volatile memory clear or within the first 120 seconds of vehicle operation after a volatile memory clear or battery disconnect, the on-board computer may respond with a negative response code directing the scan tool to wait or resend the request message after the delay. Such responses and delays shall conform to the specifications for transmitting CVN data contained in SAE J1979.
(C) If a communication malfunction is preventing access to a CVN value for reporting in response to a scan tool request, a default CVN value may be reported in lieu of a valid CVN value provided that:
(i) a pending fault code is stored or a confirmed fault code is stored with the MIL commanded on pinpointing a communication fault for the module that is unable to report a valid CVN, and
(ii) the default CVN value used cannot be mistaken for a valid CVN (e.g., all zeros or all question marks for the default value).
(4.7.5) For purposes of Inspection and Maintenance (I/M) testing, manufacturers shall make the CVN and CAL ID combination information available for all 2008 and subsequent model year vehicles in a standardized electronic format that allows for off-board verification that the CVN is valid and appropriate for a specific vehicle and CAL ID. The manufacturer shall use the most recent standardized electronic format detailed in Attachment E: CAL ID and CVN Data of ARB Mail-Out #MSC 06-23, December 21, 2006, incorporated by reference. Manufacturers shall submit the CVN and CAL ID information to the Executive Officer not more than 25 days after the close of a calendar quarter.
Appreciate 0