GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

06-19-2022, 04:41 PM   #1
UndeniablyT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mazdaspeed3, RX8, Civic Si

Help! Going Crazy on Interior Cleaning

Hey All,

I've spent the last hour (way to long) reading through forums and pics. I have a 2018 M3 with the Extended Merino Leather (LKSW)

I'm using leather cleaner for the seats etc... but the dash... what material is the dash? Is it a soft touch plastic? another material?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 08:37 PM   #2
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndeniablyT View Post
Hey All,

I've spent the last hour (way to long) reading through forums and pics. I have a 2018 M3 with the Extended Merino Leather (LKSW)

I'm using leather cleaner for the seats etc... but the dash... what material is the dash? Is it a soft touch plastic? another material?

Thanks in advance
Hey UndeniablyT , I believe the dash is a foam plastic vinyl wrap. I use 303 Aerospace protectant. I apply / spray a small amount onto a microfiber towel, and wipe it on. It has given me great results. I’m sure there are other interior cleaners out there that perform very well, but 303 has been my go to the past year. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Last edited by GERMAN M3; 06-19-2022 at 09:29 PM..
Appreciate 2
      06-19-2022, 08:38 PM   #3
darrvao777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndeniablyT View Post
Hey All,

Thanks in advance
If you want to play it safe, using a rinseless product like ONR in a 1:256 dilution in a spray bottle, spraying into the microfiber towel and not on the car itself, and then gently wiping down is always a nice play

I also like P&S Xpress Interior Cleaner. I had some damage when using this product in my wife's G550 although I am unclear if the product did this or it was simply the cheap plastics in that car. To be safe, I typically will dilute this out 1:1 in a spray bottle. Same thing, I spray the microfiber towel and then wipe down. I do this for all interior surfaces EXCEPT for glass in the car. I tend to also avoid using this on the instrument cluster and infotainment as well preferring to utilize the rinseless wash as listed above or glass cleaner instead.
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M34181.00
      06-20-2022, 12:16 AM   #4
UndeniablyT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mazdaspeed3, RX8, Civic Si

Thanks for the heads up. I currently have Chemical Guys VRP that I sprayed on a a microfiber towel and applied to the dash.

Thanks Y'all

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERMAN M3 View Post
Hey UndeniablyT , I believe the dash is a foam plastic vinyl wrap. I use 303 Aerospace protectant. I apply / spray a small amount onto a microfiber towel, and wipe it on. It has given me great results. I’m sure there are other interior cleaners out there that perform very well, but 303 has been my go to the past year. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrvao777 View Post
If you want to play it safe, using a rinseless product like ONR in a 1:256 dilution in a spray bottle, spraying into the microfiber towel and not on the car itself, and then gently wiping down is always a nice play

I also like P&S Xpress Interior Cleaner. I had some damage when using this product in my wife's G550 although I am unclear if the product did this or it was simply the cheap plastics in that car. To be safe, I typically will dilute this out 1:1 in a spray bottle. Same thing, I spray the microfiber towel and then wipe down. I do this for all interior surfaces EXCEPT for glass in the car. I tend to also avoid using this on the instrument cluster and infotainment as well preferring to utilize the rinseless wash as listed above or glass cleaner instead.
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M34181.00
      06-20-2022, 04:26 PM   #5
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

I use P & S xpress interior cleaner diluted 1:1 with water. Its just a mild cleaner thats good for all surfaces. It doesnt have a pleasant smell but it goes away quickly.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 06:59 PM   #6
RogRRR
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4

How do you guys prevent the microfiber cloths from leaving fuzz everywhere?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 07:02 PM   #7
darrvao777
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogRRR View Post
How do you guys prevent the microfiber cloths from leaving fuzz everywhere?
using high quality microfiber towels will help to avoid this

i also like rinseless wash on the interior for this reason, it seems to have some nice anti static properties
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 07:18 PM   #8
RogRRR
Rep

Quote:

i also like rinseless wash on the interior for this reason, it seems to have some nice anti static properties
Thanks, good tip. I bought the bulk yellow microfiber towels from Costco, but stopped using them because I spent more time chasing that fuzz around.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 07:20 PM   #9
darrvao777
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, good tip. I bought the bulk yellow microfiber towels from Costco, but stopped using them because I spent more time chasing that fuzz around.
costco towels aren't terrible for the interior

i find they work best by dipping them in onr 1:256, wringing them out, and then gently wiping down the interior

that slight moisture helps to avoid linting and it works even better with nicer towels
Appreciate 2
GERMAN M34181.00
DocL1930.00
      07-05-2022, 04:46 PM   #10
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
You need to like fluff them to get rid of that yellow fuzz lol.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 09:14 PM   #11
RogRRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
You think they get better or worse after a few cycles through the washing machine?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 10:12 PM   #12
darrvao777
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
You think they get better or worse after a few cycles through the washing machine?
definitely better. you want to wash towels first before usage
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 06:17 PM   #13
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
At least once through the washer and dryer would make a big difference.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 11:02 AM   #14
RhinoComp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition 6MT

CarPro Inside has been my go-to for anything interior besides screens. It doesn't leave a shiny film that will increase glare and reflections like a lot of interior products do. It's a nice foam that gets dirt and grime out easily, but it's also surprisingly good at cleaning and restoring color to leather also. In my previous life I had a 2018 Camaro SS 1LE with white leather knee pads and accents, and those were constantly looking horribly dirty. The CarPro Inside could make them look brand new in 5 minutes. Awesome stuff, and I haven't bought anything else since.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 03:32 PM   #15
jonf49
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4 Competition

I use Meguires Quik detailer on the dash and surrounding parts, and will reserve leather cleaner for the door panel leather, seats, ebrake boot, and steering wheel. The quik detailer is also good for the touchscreen.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 04:07 PM   #16
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoComp View Post
CarPro Inside has been my go-to for anything interior besides screens. It doesn't leave a shiny film that will increase glare and reflections like a lot of interior products do. It's a nice foam that gets dirt and grime out easily, but it's also surprisingly good at cleaning and restoring color to leather also. In my previous life I had a 2018 Camaro SS 1LE with white leather knee pads and accents, and those were constantly looking horribly dirty. The CarPro Inside could make them look brand new in 5 minutes. Awesome stuff, and I haven't bought anything else since.
I use it for leather and I still haven't found anything better.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 02:00 AM   #17
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Nextzett cockpit premium for dash plastics, and swissvax for leather cleaning and conditioning. Plexus for instrument cluster.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 12:37 AM   #18
horstschmidt
Rep

I have had very good experiences with Ballistol Universalöl for cleaning and caring for leather or plastic.
Appreciate 0