European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

01-02-2017, 09:58 AM   #89
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by X88-M View Post
This does sound very, very nice! What's it like when cold? I'm now wondering if I should have considered ACS over MPE...

H
Thanks mate, I'm very pleased with it. When I drove the ACS demo M4 it took me about half a mile to want it!

On cold start valves closed its perfectly civilised, you get the lovely comp pack blip on start up, and it settles into a lovely deep but fairly quiet idle.

Valves open, cold start is rediculous lol. Thankfully I have no neighbours so I can get away with it.

It's just a great sounding exhaust, and was less than the MPE even though it's right up to the downpipes instead of just a half system.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 10:17 AM   #90
X88-M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: (F80) M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinv6 View Post
Thanks mate, I'm very pleased with it. When I drove the ACS demo M4 it took me about half a mile to want it!

On cold start valves closed its perfectly civilised, you get the lovely comp pack blip on start up, and it settles into a lovely deep but fairly quiet idle.

Valves open, cold start is rediculous lol. Thankfully I have no neighbours so I can get away with it.

It's just a great sounding exhaust, and was less than the MPE even though it's right up to the downpipes instead of just a half system.
Thanks! I posted earlier that my MPE is very loud on cold start-up with valves open but does seem to initially rattle before settling into a very nice exhaust note on idle. It's the rattle that bugs me (even though it only does it for a few moments) but I'm also wondering if it will settle as the exhaust gets run-in. I've only done 1900 miles from new and the MPE was fitted on delivery. Does the ACS do the same on cold starts with valves open?

H
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 10:22 AM   #91
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

Quote:
Thanks! I posted earlier that my MPE is very loud on cold start-up with valves open but does seem to initially rattle before settling into a very nice exhaust note on idle. It's the rattle that bugs me (even though it only does it for a few moments) but I'm also wondering if it will settle as the exhaust gets run-in. I've only done 1900 miles from new and the MPE was fitted on delivery. Does the ACS do the same on cold starts with valves open?

H
No mate no rattles just a blip and then a very loud, hollow idle until it settles down after cold start.

I've heard other people mention rattles on MPE, try flicking each tailpipe and see if any make the sound, maybe one is slightly loose, other than that take a trip to the dealers and see if they can reccomend anything?
Appreciate 1
Foretrees762.50
      01-02-2017, 11:32 AM   #92
Foretrees
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 YMB-MP Carbon-MPE Carbon

Quote:
No mate no rattles just a blip and then a very loud, hollow idle until it settles down after cold start.

I've heard other people mention rattles on MPE, try flicking each tailpipe and see if any make the sound, maybe one is slightly loose, other than that take a trip to the dealers and see if they can reccomend anything?
Agree 100%, i have the MPE and no rattles but the tip rivets can work loose and cause a vibration or the tip itself may be loose, it's only held on by a small grub screw, worth having a look at these first , a CG valve controller would do the trick if you want your valves open all the time
      01-02-2017, 02:54 PM   #93
X88-M
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Will do, thanks!

H
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 03:01 PM   #94
X88-M
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretrees View Post
Agree 100%, i have the MPE and no rattles but the tip rivets can work loose and cause a vibration or the tip itself may be loose, it's only held on by a small grub screw, worth having a look at these first , a CG valve controller would do the trick if you want your valves open all the time
I made sure the small grub screws are thread-locked in (having already had tips work loose once before) but I'll try to see if the rivets that hold the carbon-fibre sleeve over the tip itself have worked loose instead. Not sure how you would tighten them though?

Would love to have the valves open all the time, but the initial cold-start rattle would drive me up the wall! Having said that, it's only for the first few moments before the noise settles. Then it sounds perfect. When you say you have no rattles, is that from cold start with valves open? That's the only time my MPE rattles.

Thanks again

H
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 08:59 AM   #95
Foretrees
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 YMB-MP Carbon-MPE Carbon

Quote:
I made sure the small grub screws are thread-locked in (having already had tips work loose once before) but I'll try to see if the rivets that hold the carbon-fibre sleeve over the tip itself have worked loose instead. Not sure how you would tighten them though?

Would love to have the valves open all the time, but the initial cold-start rattle would drive me up the wall! Having said that, it's only for the first few moments before the noise settles. Then it sounds perfect. When you say you have no rattles, is that from cold start with valves open? That's the only time my MPE rattles.

Thanks again

H
I cant hear any rattle on mine from start with the valves open, saying that its pretty loud until it warms up, the CG valave controller i have is default open and OEM closed, you can have it set by CG to suit you, some want OEM at start and then open the valves now and then, i just leave them open

If the rivet is slack then the tip will be replaced, you could drill it out and re - rivet the tip but i cant see BMW doing that

Hope that helps
Cheers John
      01-05-2017, 03:48 PM   #96
TommyGuk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim4848 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGuk View Post
I was driving around Rivington yesterday! I've got the MPE and people definitely hear me before they see me

Edit: if you'd like to hear the MPE please let me know. Any excuse for a drive
Hi Tommy would you be willing to meet up, I am looking to get the MPE and would like the hear before I buy.
Hi mate, sorry for the late reply. Yes I'd be happy to
Appreciate 0