Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

11-18-2016, 06:55 PM   #1
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Thoughts on my M3 CP

So had it since the end of June and covered about 2200 miles - but didn’t drive it for 9 weeks due to the diff issue. It’s a fantastic car for sure but at the moment I’m very 50/50 about it. As some of the other guys said in that other thread, the opportunity to own an M car with a cheap deal came along earlier this year and a lot of us really wanted to own an M car at some point or other. I’m really glad I took the plunge and bought one.

However, I just cannot get attached to the car. I thought it would be a car I’d love to bits and never want to sell but I’ve just not fallen in love with it. There is nothing wrong with the car as such but several things are niggling which is causing me to re-think about possibly moving on to something else.

Some of the following points might sound really damning and a few of you may disagree!! But it is just my own genuine opinion after owning the car for a few months.

The main problem was being given a 530d while the M3 was waiting for its diff replacement. It made me realise what other really good cars there are out there. This really set the cat amongst the pigeons and started to doubt me owning the M3. You cant actually order a new F10 saloon any more else this could have been a consideration! The 530d was a really good car and more of an all-rounder than the M3.

So what do I dislike about the M3? Well this may sound odd but I miss the low down torque of my 335d. There is no two ways about it, the M3 does not pull as well low down as the 335d. Of course it’s a completely different engine and needs to be revved higher to get the best from it but I think after 10 years of driving diesels, I’m too used to driving with lazy low down torque engine and something I prefer. I actually find on the motorway to emulate anything like the 335d’s pull, you need to be in Sport+ throttle and 6th gear and even then, its only just the same. Now I don’t want to drive like that all the time on the motorway and will no doubt take a big hit of fuel economy …. I want the torque on tap, all the time and this is where the 335d delivers – for me.

Its been said many times before that non-M cars can perform 90% of an M car. But in order to push that extra 10% I’m finding that to make the M3 exciting and interesting, you need to be driving at really high speeds. Now I don’t mind pushing on a bit and having some fun but when you are considerably higher than say 60mph around the A/B roads it getting potentially dangerous, let alone getting a speeding ticket. The car can cope, but it’s everyone else on the road. They don’t expect people to be driving that fast.
Bottom line is the M3/4 is an ideal track car and this is where its true capabilities can be realised. This isn’t for me sadly as I’m not into that.

Seats and comfort……. As mentioned in other threads I’m not keen on the M3 seats although I’m just about getting used to them now. I have several aches and pains from the seats from upper back, lower back, tail bone, hips and shoulders. Not good. The steering is way over heavy for me, even in Comfort mode. Turn in is great of course, I just hate the weighting of it and makes it a “heavy” car to drive. And the suspension is quite firm on the whole, but it’s the price to pay for great handling of course.

Talking of weight, I do think the M3 is a heavy car to drive, its does tend to lean slightly in certain corners and I thought it would feel a more agile car to drive TBH. I think I’m too used to driving the missus Fiesta which is like a go-kart in comparison as it weighs 1000kg.

Fuel economy …hmmmm … so yes I knew it wouldn’t be cheap to run, but looking at the fuel gauge tonight, its sitting at just above half a tank and I’ve done 125 miles on this tank so far.

Other stuff…… I don’t mind the cold starts and general sound of the car – sometimes its great but sometimes it gets waring. Also putting it into Sport/Sport+ throttle is necessary to get some decent performance, but I don’t always want the additional noise, especially when the wife/kids are in the car (complaining!). Road noise from the tyres is very waring at times. This is of no benefit (unlike the exhaust noise) and gets quite tiresome.

Of course there are things I like about it, fantastic handling/steering and shed loads of power when you floor it. However, I think there are a few cars that are virtually as quick as the M3 up to 60mph, its really over this where the M3 excels and as said, this is not always a good idea on HM highways.

The one thing I like the most is the look of the M3, its a fantastic car to look at.

All in all I think the M3 is a great package if that's your bag and as said really glad I’ve had the chance to own one, however for me personally I think there are a fair few things that niggle unfortunately.

I've not posted this thread to provoke any reaction or damn the M3 in any way - it is simply my own personal thoughts and opinions of it.

Now I’m preparing to be shot down now!

UPDATED ... after driving a 335d ......

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...2#post20902542

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack

Last edited by dopper99; 11-27-2016 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 3
      11-19-2016, 01:44 AM   #2
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
@dopper99 Hey buddy!

It was interesting reading your summary on your M3 CP. I'm certainly not going to shoot you down as we're all individuals with our own specific needs and wants from a car.

Having come from a 335d also I can sympathise with some of your comments re: low down torque and for me the difference in handling due to lack of X drive.

In my experience having owned the car for nearly 3 months and done 3000 miles, I'm overall smitten with the car.

I agree the ride can be harsh, even in comfort but I think that's partly down to the poor roads where I live, as when I reach a section of smooth tarmac the car really quietens down.

I find the CP seats really comfortable and have covered a few long distances in the car.

Fuel economy is pretty much what I expected and in line with this type of vehicle. I'm a lot more friendly with the petrol station anyway!

In this price bracket and with the discount that was available, there's not another car to touch the M3/4 in this category. The C63S is circa £10k more expensive including discount.

Sure there's many cars that could keep up at 8/10ths of the permissable speed but they just don't feel as special to me.

I'm sorry to hear you're not really bonding with the car and maybe the M3 just isn't for you.

I think you got a TRL car? If so, you got a good deal and it shouldn't be too painful to jump ship in the future if the need be.
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 2
dopper993528.00
WulsgM4503.50
      11-19-2016, 02:11 AM   #3
takumichinoku
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

It's too fast for you, admit it
Appreciate 1
dopper993528.00
      11-19-2016, 03:31 AM   #4
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Blimey, this is a hard one to answer but I'll have a stab (and may refine!!).

Andy, I feared this might come after seeing your posts on the 5 series you were loaned. You should have been in the honeymoon period with your car yet the posts seemed to be more about how impressed with the 530d you were.

I think two things come to mind here. The M3 is not for everyone and also is most definitely not perfect as standard. I actually think quite a lot of M3 owners would be far better off in something like the C63 as for day to day work, it's probably the better alternative if you want a super fast small saloon - it addresses of lot of some M3 criticisms. But then it's a lot more cash if you got a daft M3 deal.

The lack of diesel oomph, yes that got on my nerves. I found having to keep changing down an unnecessary pain in the arse for day to day driving on the motorway. £600 map later and the world's a happy place - I have what I wanted. But that works both ways - having a linear power delivery can be seen in such a car to be a bit boring and there's no question, having that torque spike can make it more challenging to drive. Fact is there's no perfect answer. Even with the same driver, what suits one moment, doesn't the other!

I've seen quite a lot of people fall out of love with their M3's. The problem is it is rather is core product, targeted really at quite a small audience, is somewhat flawed in its standard offering and yet, being wrapped up in a usual everyday disguise, gets bought by possibly the wrong people or may be the right people with the wrong expectations.

It's interesting what you say about the speed and with the very greatest of respect (we've know each other a while now), your comment about needing to do daft speeds to get the best of the car is probably the most telling part. The car still feels special to me below daft speeds (and actually still just walking up and starting it).

I suppose the only way I can explain it is by likening the car is to some kind of computer game where you have to unlock different difficulty levels. Level one soon gets boring and you can do it with your eyes shut. You start to find flaws with it and indeed realise that actually other games are probably more enjoyable at that level. Now moving to the next difficulty level means you're probably a lot slower moving through the level but there is more to do and a greater satisfaction in succeeding with things.

A lot of people aren't really interested in going to the harder levels - they bought the game to just enjoy it for what it was. Fact is they just got the end of it a bit quicker than they realised on the easier level and are wondering what the fuss is about.

Perhaps my analogy needs some refinement but the point here is that under the (albeit slightly flawed skin) is a stonking car. But to ever experience that you need to start by turning off the TC. That is NOT for everyone, I accept. And thereby they will be missing out on what the car is really all about. All the TC does is numb the car.

Mine still makes me chuckle on a wet roundabout at 25mph. Does that mean I'm driving sideways everywhere? Nope, that would be irresponsible but I do play within (and sometimes beyond) the car's limits - it's a pussycat once you understand how it works.

I love the turn-in - it's properly bonkers how little my car understeers (something I hate that is dialled into most cars these days). For me, it's one of the huge attractions of the car.

As you know my car is hardly standard now and pretty much getting to where i want it. Would I want a standard car? Nope - would just frustrate me. I'm keeping mine for at least another 3 years so i want it right. The biggest improvement was the suspension - the car just flows in a way the standard one can only do an a completely flat road. I've taken my off 666's now as it's a so much better can on higher profile tyres. You wouldn't get me back on 20's for daily driving ever again.

Now most can't be bothered to mod their car and really, why should they need to having spent that much dosh? Fair point I can't argue!

It's interesting. I have had a tough few weeks and whilst buying a Skoda for someone at work yesterday afternoon, I thought I'd cheer myself up and pop next door and have a look at the R8. You look at it and ponder in detail and you get mixed messages. The engine is to die for and should be celebrated - 5 year's time they'll be no N/A cars like this. But you'd probably complain at the lack of low down torque Anyway, the point is it just wants you to rev that engine and put your foot down. But 600+ horsepower and 4wd, that means you're a daft speeds pretty quickly. Now the novelty of that would eventually wear off and you're in a beautifully made and functional cabin for a daily. BUT at what point do you then realise that actually you could have saved yourself £80k and just bought a TT RS and got 90% of it?

For what I want at the moment, the M3 is perfect. Ferry the kids if need be, carry kit for work, do 500 miles in a day or hang on the arse of a 911 around the track! But I've made it into what I want and that is most definitely not for all.

Now some could say you shut up and put up but I think if you are really finding the car uncomfortable, you need to look at doing something about it. As has been said, you got a cracking deal on yours. Given that you like the 5 series and the deals on stock cars are simply daft with new one coming, wouldn't it make sense to just move on and into one now?

Really wouldn't beat yourself up over it. You work hard and you deserve to be happy with your steed. You HAVE to do what's right for you.

Seriously best of luck with what you decide to do. No harm is giving Tony a call and sounding him out is there?
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 8
dopper993528.00
derekh929291.50
DazC904.00
jimmyca69167.00
Wills28647.00
gatsojon498.00
M5essex641.50
      11-19-2016, 03:53 AM   #5
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Blimey, this is a hard one to answer but I'll have a stab (and may refine!!).

Andy, I feared this might come after seeing your posts on the 5 series you were loaned. You should have been in the honeymoon period with your car yet the posts seemed to be more about how impressed with the 530d you were.

I think two things come to mind here. The M3 is not for everyone and also is most definitely not perfect as standard. I actually think quite a lot of M3 owners would be far better off in something like the C63 as for day to day work, it's probably the better alternative if you want a super fast small saloon - it addresses of lot of some M3 criticisms. But then it's a lot more cash if you got a daft M3 deal.

The lack of diesel oomph, yes that got on my nerves. I found having to keep changing down an unnecessary pain in the arse for day to day driving on the motorway. £600 map later and the world's a happy place - I have what I wanted. But that works both ways - having a linear power delivery can be seen in such a car to be a bit boring and there's no question, having that torque spike can make it more challenging to drive. Fact is there's no perfect answer. Even with the same driver, what suits one moment, doesn't the other!

I've seen quite a lot of people fall out of love with their M3's. The problem is it is rather is core product, targeted really at quite a small audience, is somewhat flawed in its standard offering and yet, being wrapped up in a usual everyday disguise, gets bought by possibly the wrong people or may be the right people with the wrong expectations.

It's interesting what you say about the speed and with the very greatest of respect (we've know each other a while now), your comment about needing to do daft speeds to get the best of the car is probably the most telling part. The car still feels special to me below daft speeds (and actually still just walking up and starting it).

I suppose the only way I can explain it is by likening the car is to some kind of computer game where you have to unlock different difficulty levels. Level one soon gets boring and you can do it with your eyes shut. You start to find flaws with it and indeed realise that actually other games are probably more enjoyable at that level. Now moving to the next difficulty level means you're probably a lot slower moving through the level but there is more to do and a greater satisfaction in succeeding with things.

A lot of people aren't really interested in going to the harder levels - they bought the game to just enjoy it for what it was. Fact is they just got the end of it a bit quicker than they realised on the easier level and are wondering what the fuss is about.

Perhaps my analogy needs some refinement but the point here is that under the (albeit slightly flawed skin) is a stonking car. But to ever experience that you need to start by turning off the TC. That is NOT for everyone, I accept. And thereby they will be missing out on what the car is really all about. All the TC does is numb the car.

Mine still makes me chuckle on a wet roundabout at 25mph. Does that mean I'm driving sideways everywhere? Nope, that would be irresponsible but I do play within (and sometimes beyond) the car's limits - it's a pussycat once you understand how it works.

I love the turn-in - it's properly bonkers how little my car understeers (something I hate that is dialled into most cars these days). For me, it's one of the huge attractions of the car.

As you know my car is hardly standard now and pretty much getting to where i want it. Would I want a standard car? Nope - would just frustrate me. I'm keeping mine for at least another 3 years so i want it right. The biggest improvement was the suspension - the car just flows in a way the standard one can only do an a completely flat road. I've taken my off 666's now as it's a so much better can on higher profile tyres. You wouldn't get me back on 20's for daily driving ever again.

Now most can't be bothered to mod their car and really, why should they need to having spent that much dosh? Fair point I can't argue!

It's interesting. I have had a tough few weeks and whilst buying a Skoda for someone at work yesterday afternoon, I thought I'd cheer myself up and pop next door and have a look at the R8. You look at it and ponder in detail and you get mixed messages. The engine is to die for and should be celebrated - 5 year's time they'll be no N/A cars like this. But you'd probably complain at the lack of low down torque Anyway, the point is it just wants you to rev that engine and put your foot down. But 600+ horsepower and 4wd, that means you're a daft speeds pretty quickly. Now the novelty of that would eventually wear off and you're in a beautifully made and functional cabin for a daily. BUT at what point do you then realise that actually you could have saved yourself £80k and just bought a TT RS and got 90% of it?

For what I want at the moment, the M3 is perfect. Ferry the kids if need be, carry kit for work, do 500 miles in a day or hang on the arse of a 911 around the track! But I've made it into what I want and that is most definitely not for all.

Now some could say you shut up and put up but I think if you are really finding the car uncomfortable, you need to look at doing something about it. As has been said, you got a cracking deal on yours. Given that you like the 5 series and the deals on stock cars are simply daft with new one coming, wouldn't it make sense to just move on and into one now?

Really wouldn't beat yourself up over it. You work hard and you deserve to be happy with your steed. You HAVE to do what's right for you.

Seriously best of luck with what you decide to do. No harm is giving Tony a call and sounding him out is there?
Very good post Guy and I think you are right that the M cars are an acquired taste..

I totally get where Andy is and can relate to a number of the things he has mentioned..

I like Andy had a loan car while mine was delayed, a 640d which was awesome. However when I got my m4 I loved it, really loved it but then came the rattles and knocking which so far has ruined the experience. I personally didn't find the low don't grunt an issue, I actually thought it was really good (except in the motorway) but I came from an e350cdi. I don't mind the suspension, it's firm but I do actually quite like that and I find the steering really nice like it has proper feel.

My problem has been the xdrive 330d I have been given this week, I actually cannot get over how good it is especially when you look at what you can buy them the for..

I am hoping they fix mine and all will be good but I have this horrible feeling they won't and I will get to the point where I have to change it which will be a very hard thing to do..
      11-19-2016, 04:25 AM   #6
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Thanks for the posts guys, especially Guy's mega post!!

Just to add, I didnt test drive an M3 at all and some could now say I was mad not to. However, I knew a test drive would make no difference for a couple of reasons. 20 mins around the block with some salesman next to you does not give an true indication of the car and if you can actually live with it. If I drove one, I probably would recognise some of the points I mentioned above but it would have made no difference - I had to have an M3 and as the cheap TRL deals were around earlier this year, is was daft not to get one.

Also a lot of people say the M3/4 needs time to grow on you and people often like them more after several weeks/months of owning one. As said, I'm just not feeling it. How can you not love an M3? I must be weird!

When I got that 530d I was out taking pictures of it in my favourite photo shoot spot. I've not taken any pictures of the M3 other than the day I bought it.

I dont think its the 530d itself that has made me recognise I dont love the M3, but its the fact there are other cars out there (as Scott mentioned) that equally impress, probably in different ways. It all depends on what we individually want from a car.

As the 5 series isnt available to order new and its far too big for what we want I am leaning back towards a 335d again. There isnt a lot else out there are interests me. Essentially I want a low down high torque quick car that handles well with a bit better seat and slightly more comfortable! Unfortunately the 335d fits some of these so I guess I'll have to compromise with the others. I hear the LCI 335d's are a lot better than the roly poly older model that I had although still on jacked high springs. I need to test drive one and see if I like it. The missus is not keen on me modifing the car (ie ACS springs) and she moaned about the last one due to a couple of reasons. (So incidently moding the M3 is well and truly out!)

Tony has got back to me with some figures on swapping my M3 and getting into a 335d with a kitchen sink spec. Essentially I can swap my car, save £40 a month in monthlies and zero deposit due to the positive equality in my car. Thats for a 335d with £11k's of options. I'm losing a few grand of my original deposit, however, I should have a little compensation due soon due to the diff saga that will offset it a bit.

Need to test drive one ..... which will either make me wake up and realise what car I currently own .......... or will make me not want to drive it again...!!

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 04:50 AM   #7
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

Well I fear your time without the car would have had a big impact on you as well, as for me the fizz would have gone after having to give it up so soon for sure.
I think its true the 330 and 335 d Beemers are hard to beat but all said and done are a bit dull and boring at times for sure as i have been in derv motors for 20 years and boy when the wife got her new F56 JCW i realised i needed to sell the beemer.

I have to say on drives I found the seats ok but if honest was not a patch on the C63s one's , I felt the car firm but not any worse than the mini for sure.

As said i think the fact you had the comfy bus for a while the family had loved that for sure, but our tourer had loads of tyre noise as well and that i did not like.

Is it your family don't like it as well as this can effect your attachment to the car as well if they are always moaning about it?
AS said above i think it seems in standard dress the car has its weaknesses to some and not all want to spend more money on mods for sure, very good point re the C63 that ignites your inner petrol head desires at a lot lower levels and would be a very good shout if you could live with the coupe as salon far to firm, or dare i say it the new Alfa?

Not good to see so many not loving there M cars as I'm still undecided but have to make my mind up in next few months as young lad passed his driving test sooner than anticipated so car less again.

I'm with GT sussex great time to make the switch with values of out going 5 at rock bottom, how about the M5 new for £55k? will get a reasonable price for yours I bet if demand holds.

Good luck with your decision and not good when you spend good levels on money and not love the motor for sure.
I think unlike some other brands that the cars are just a faster version of the same driver feel, but the M cars seem so much different a jump from say driving a TTRS to say R8 V10 as Guy said so true
Appreciate 1
dopper993528.00
      11-19-2016, 05:10 AM   #8
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekh929 View Post
Is it your family don't like it as well as this can effect your attachment to the car as well if they are always moaning about it?
Nope Derek, its only my decision to look at something else. The kids are happy with it and the wife isn't fussed either way. She much preferred the 530d (ie a more normal car other than an M3), but she's certainly not pushing me to sell the M3 and she loves the look of the M3 as do I. In fact she's thinking about the money that I'll lose!!

If the 6 cylinder non-M cars were not so good, I wouldn't be looking elsewhere.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
derekh929291.50
      11-19-2016, 05:10 AM   #9
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Not good Dopper, these are too expensive a car not to like them. (not that you should or need to like it if you understand what I mean)

Not much else to say I guess, as the car is what it is, me saying this or that about how I feel about my 23,000 miles in one won't change the fact you don't like it.

What are you going to do? Swap back into a 335d? or perhaps the new G30 5 series?
      11-19-2016, 05:20 AM   #10
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekh929 View Post
Nope Derek, its only my decision to look at something else. The kids are happy with it and the wife isn't fussed either way. She much preferred the 530d (ie a more normal car other than an M3), but she's certainly not pushing me to sell the M3 and she loves the look of the M3 as do I. In fact she's thinking about the money that I'll lose!!

If the 6 cylinder non-M cars were not so good, I wouldn't be looking elsewhere.

You're right Andy I think this that is the problem, the 335/435d are so good.. my wife hate mine, doesn't get the point of it at all and I think would be quite happy if it went. She would hate losing the money though so there I have the problem..

I am thinking 435d GC but no facelift as yet or leather on the doors when you go full leather
      11-19-2016, 05:33 AM   #11
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Will be interesting you trying an F30 again. I think you'll be surprised what you now take for granted with the M3. I notice every time I get in the M235i.

In my perfect world I'd have an M5 for daily trudge and GT4 for play. In fact my big mistake was missing out on a GT4 and not fighting my preconceptions on what I wanted because I stupidly felt I needed practicality.

Go and try LOTS of things Andy. If I was looking now, would find it very hard to ignore nearly new deals on M5 - they are just crazy. New one will be double that.

As is, car stays for 4 years and next year my deposit goes down on GT3 replacement (letter already in). Time to get on the no depreciation ladder :-)
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 05:34 AM   #12
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP SS/SO

Good honest write up! For me I would admit my previous 330D was a better daily driver than an M3, I kind of see M3/4's as track cars you can take on the public highway. But I don't have to drive mine everyday, I have another car that I use most of the time for work (and winter) and I only bring the M3 out probably once or twice a week so I'm not being exposed to it's niggles as much as others. I get plenty of stick from by biz partner for buying a "stupid car" (he has a 520D!) and he certainly doesn't like riding long distance in it, his car is very comfortable of course compared to mine.

That being said I love my M3, but probably based on not having to drive it all the time! I think anyone looking to get one really needs to test drive though, it's difficult of course as dealers want to see the colour of your money before letting you out in one (and no a 20 min round the block is not good) I was able to secure an M3 for a couple of days so I knew what I was letting myself in for.

Good luck with the 335D, let us know what you go for!
Older - E46 330i | Silver | AC Schnitzer, E36 328i Coupe | White
Appreciate 1
dopper993528.00
      11-19-2016, 05:51 AM   #13
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
An ///M3 is simply not for you. Nothing wrong with that .

The primary design purpose of the M3 since its inception with the E30 has been to provide a practical daily driver that can be used at the track. Even if the F8X is the best daily driver of all M3 generations thus far, inherent compomises in terms of comfort and DD performance need to be made to make the car track capable.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 2
DazC904.00
dopper993528.00
      11-19-2016, 06:00 AM   #14
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

I agree the current F series M3/4 are the most comfortable daily driver friendly M3s BMW have produced, but if you don't like revs/noise and a firm but fair ride it's not going to be for you.

Although I would add for me there is too much torque too soon as I'd prefer to be able to rev the car out more.
derekh929291.50
      11-19-2016, 06:23 AM   #15
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I agree the current F series M3/4 are the most comfortable daily driver friendly M3s BMW have produced, but if you don't like revs/noise and a firm but fair ride it's not going to be for you.

Although I would add for me there is too much torque too soon as I'd prefer to be able to rev the car out more.
And that's one of those things where BMW are damned if do or damned if don't! Some want more torque and others want a more linear curve with power building.

Sometimes it can still catch me unawares but I actually like the torque. Ironically I think it's easier to manage now I've had remap - turbo lag seems less and you don't have to second guess when boost hits. Love the fact you can make daft progress short shifting when wet or cold.

Just very conscious of tyre temps but once warm I find the MPSS very progressive and having that torque allows you to 'play' without daft commitment.

It's a damn hard job for BMW in what they do and how they try to please. What I would like is just to pay a weeny bit more so they invested in better damping - across the board it's lousy.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 06:57 AM   #16
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
And that's one of those things where BMW are damned if do or damned if don't! Some want more torque and others want a more linear curve with power building.

Sometimes it can still catch me unawares but I actually like the torque. Ironically I think it's easier to manage now I've had remap - turbo lag seems less and you don't have to second guess when boost hits. Love the fact you can make daft progress short shifting when wet or cold.

Just very conscious of tyre temps but once warm I find the MPSS very progressive and having that torque allows you to 'play' without daft commitment.

It's a damn hard job for BMW in what they do and how they try to please. What I would like is just to pay a weeny bit more so they invested in better damping - across the board it's lousy.
Yeah it's not a criticism as such more a preference of mine, I prefer long legs rather than short shifts. (or is long legs and short skirts? )

I much preferred the power delivery and experience of the S54 and S65 compared to the S63 and S55. You can lose your licence in a 320d these days so making progress is a given in a modern car the S54 and especially the S65 made the driving experience an event.

But there is no doubt the F80 is a better car than the e92.

Agreed the cheap dampers are not the best and for a few hundred quid more they could have transformed the damping however its all built to a price as most things are.

The cheap Monroe rubbish they put on the cooking 3 series are a joke though.

Last edited by Wills2; 11-19-2016 at 07:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 07:07 AM   #17
Yellowpinkie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d

Interesting thread. I wonder how much the OP's issue is with the car per se, and how much is comparing it to a diesel f30.

Did many of you currently in m3s and m4s come from x30d and x35d's? If so did it take long to adjust to the difference in power delivery, having to work the car harder, after being used to the characteristics of a diesel?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 07:13 AM   #18
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowpinkie View Post
Interesting thread. I wonder how much the OP's issue is with the car per se, and how much is comparing it to a diesel f30.

Did many of you currently in m3s and m4s come from x30d and x35d's? If so did it take long to adjust to the difference in power delivery, having to work the car harder, after being used to the characteristics of a diesel?
I came from a 335d xdrive (via an M5) but I really didn't like the 335d and was glad to leave the characteristics of a diesel and the 335d xdrive behind me.
      11-19-2016, 07:21 AM   #19
Yellowpinkie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I came from a 335d xdrive (via an M5) but I really didn't like the 335d and was glad to leave the characteristics of a diesel behind me.
So you've gone the other way. I'm in a 330d currently and pondering my next move. I like the effortless nature of the diesel but fancy a change into something with a bit more drama. I'm wary of going for an M or even a 440 and being unhappy or disappointed in some way like the OP.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 07:59 AM   #20
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowpinkie

I came from an F30 335d. I have zero regrets!
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 08:13 AM   #21
jimmyca69
First Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F85 X5M

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [10.00]
Coming from a F30 335d i can relate to some of your points
- Low down torque (or rather the availability of it in all gears)
- ride comfort (it is better than M3)

But for me the M3 is leagues ahead of the 335d when you look at it as a complete car. After 18 months i was bored of the 335d, it was quick, refined but just lacked that something special. The M3 currently ticks all the boxes for me, it is more difficult to drive and sometimes i get frustrated more than the 335d but that itself is why it is a better car. It is a more involving drive and each journey feels special to me. It doesnt need to go on track for me, whilst it could, there is more than enough of it for the commute and weekend fun.

Looks wise, i thought the 335d was good but the M3 makes it look like Susan Boyle compared to Eva Longoria. So your comments that you wanted to take pics of the 530d and not the M3 surprises me.

When you mention the M3 feels heavy and not as agile as you thought, that also surprises me from my experience. Especially compared with the F30 etc.

But at the end of the day, the way you drive and what you want from a car will always be different from person to person. It's personal taste and no opinions from others will change your mind. It would be good to perhaps drive another car for an extended period to compare and see if you are taking the M3 for granted but it's difficult when a bond breaks like this to get it back IMO and so it is either live with it or contract TRL etc and see the impact!

Good luck in whatever you do though!
dopper993528.00
      11-19-2016, 08:19 AM   #22
Yellowpinkie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazC View Post
I came from an F30 335d. I have zero regrets!
Better in every way, or accepting things you don't like cos on the limit is so good?
Appreciate 0