Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

Yesterday, 07:18 AM   #2311
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 F150, 21 718, 20 C63S, 212S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I believe you are being too harsh here. I find the suspension tuning and damping extremely good on my M4cs. Sporty/comfortable in Comfort mode and precise/sharp in Sport+ mode. BMW nailed it with this one.
I do somewhat agree here, but it shouldn't take moving up to the CS line for them to get it right. I do agree with him though in general about BMW and not just Porsche. Ford, GM, AR etc have all passed BMW by either in suspension tech and tuning, sometimes both. The M2 CS gets a lot of hits from actual reviewers in this department compared to the competition. By actual reviewers, but it did win the big competition based on fun factor, so that definitely is something.
Appreciate 2
      Yesterday, 07:19 AM   #2312
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 F150, 21 718, 20 C63S, 212S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Maybe i'm aging out of M cars but (a.) this product is fucking ridiculous, and (b.) this interior is heinous

I wouldn't say heinous as I do like some things visually, but there is a lot going on there/definitely sensory overload.
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M32424.00

Yesterday, 08:26 AM   #2313
stein_325i
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW/Mercedes-Benz

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Same issue. The 3 series used to be the bread and butter "ultimate driving machine" which won top automotive awards in its class for its driving dynamics. BMW's current bread and butter is the X3. The F30 was almost universally disappointing mainly due to the electronic steering, which imho is a bit unfair if compared to its competition rather than its former iteration. BMW tried to fix that problem with a sportier suspension in the G20 which ironically backfired when people said it was too harsh. Like every other manufacturer, they followed the trend of making their cars bigger and bigger. When does this trend end? Are we going to have a 3 series the size of a 7 series in the future, with the 1, 0, and -1 series filling in the void for compact and midsized vehicles?
I think it has been said more than enough times by now but BMW simply does NOT know how to tune their suspensions correctly. They have always gone either too soft or too harsh, never the goldilocks in between setting most would like. I can already tell their marketing reason is, "We want you to choose!" Which is an absolute load. Most don't even know how that feels until you get into another brand that does it correctly. Especially those of us who have/owned/driven Porsche cars to any degree would know what I mean. Aftermarket has more or less solved this for us and for some reason BMW continues to go too deep on either end and that is just irritating. I will continue to say this, drive a Macan/Cayenne with Porsche's PSAM and drive a BMW X3/X5 back to back and I can promise you, you will immediately know what I mean.

That brings me to the M5 CS. I like the M5 actually, don't get me wrong but... the car was already 4,300+ pounds. I doubt them finding ways to lose more weight is that difficult. No one will get the bucket seats in a M5 cruiser, that literally makes no sense. CCBs are more necessary than the seats.
100% agree. The X3M was a prime example of this. Way too harsh for what it is. And don't you dare mention that in the X3M forums, otherwise you'll be attacked endlessly. They say the excuse is, "but its an M car, its supposed to be stiff!" Which is ridiculous. You can have a fantastic ride and handling balance even with a compliant suspension and ride quality. Even Alfa understands this, they literally have a button in the middle of the drive mode switch to make the suspension ride softer! Why in the world would someone want an SUV that they use to haul around their family, children and pets to ride harsh? Like you said, Porsche nails the suspension (even the non air models) while still out handling their competitors, GM as well with their magneride suspensions, proving anyone in the X3M forums wrong.
minn198078.00
Arcades3169.00

Yesterday, 11:08 AM   #2314
NickyC
Major General
Rep
Drives: M4 YMB 6MT

Still no good performance reviews on these cars? I’ve been checking every couple of days or so, this is quite odd.
Appreciate 4
stein_325i9283.00
jmg9820.00

Yesterday, 11:37 AM   #2315
carguy138
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Still no good performance reviews on these cars? Ive been checking every couple of days or so, this is quite odd.
I have a nagging suspicion (and hope I'm wrong) that the AWD/ZF8 M3 is going to be 95% of what you get in the X3M. And that the 6MT version is more of an afterthought.

I can already see the reviews saying "GXX M3 is very similar to the X3M yet smaller, less practical and similar price. Even though its several hundred pounds heavier, get the X3M".

Nothing to base this on but it's my gut feeling considering the powertrain similarities between the two.
Appreciate 3
      Yesterday, 01:05 PM   #2316
Tecnniqe
Act On Instinct
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP

Quote:
Maybe i'm aging out of M cars but (a.) this product is fucking ridiculous, and (b.) this interior is heinous

Sometimes less is more because that is overly busy to look at.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott11544.50

Yesterday, 02:42 PM   #2317
R N M
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I think the M5cs is a GREAT effort finally from BMW. Its significantly lighter than standard M5 and i like the extra details like the yellow lights/gold trim to make it even more special.

The limited exterior color choices is the only part I dislike. They should offer a LTW stripper version with RWD and manual which would be under 4,000lbs.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:02 PM   #2318
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnniqe View Post
Sometimes less is more because that is overly busy to look at.
Well, people seem to want bling bling now. Aggressive, shiny, purple lights, fragrances in glovebox, chrome this & that, etc. If it doesn't have huge displays, play music upon entering the vehicle and blind you with ambient lighting, it's a fail.

E9x LCI had the quintessential classic BMW interior that I miss being in to this day. In some ways of better quality than F30. Retrofit NBT iDrive into an E90 and you've got a modern car still. I like the F80 instrument cluster, though, analog gauges with a display underneath. That's the perfect combination to me.

GrussGott11544.50
NickyC7381.00

Yesterday, 03:52 PM   #2319
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 ZCP, 05 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Well, people seem to want bling bling now. Aggressive, shiny, purple lights, fragrances in glovebox, chrome this & that, etc. If it doesn't have huge displays, play music upon entering the vehicle and blind you with ambient lighting, it's a fail.

E9x LCI had the quintessential classic BMW interior that I miss being in to this day. In some ways of better quality than F30. Retrofit NBT iDrive into an E90 and you've got a modern car still. I like the F80 instrument cluster, though, analog gauges with a display underneath. That's the perfect combination to me.

I would agree that the E92 interior was in some ways better as it was more elegant. The lines flowed better, especially the dash on the passenger side. I also liked the double pod with the Nav screen. I enjoyed that design very much in my E60 M5 (LCI version was much better and more similar to the E92). What I didn't like was the carbon leather dash. The real CF on the F8X is very nice and matches the sportive theme of the vehicle. The F8X seats are also better IMO, despite losing the thigh extensions (great for long trips). Even the HK system in the E9X was better than the iteration in the F8X. Not sure why the newer system wasn't as punchy or smooth. Strange there...
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 03:54 PM   #2320
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I wouldn't say heinous as I do like some things visually, but there is a lot going on there/definitely sensory overload.
I don't think the M5 CS interior is all that bad other than the nut cracker hump on the front seats. If that was more subtle or made out of leather like just a more puffy section, then it wouldn't be as much of an eye sore either. I bet its going to be a leg sore hahah
Appreciate 1
minn198078.00

Yesterday, 04:45 PM   #2321
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
I would agree that the E92 interior was in some ways better as it was more elegant. The lines flowed better, especially the dash on the passenger side. I also liked the double pod with the Nav screen. I enjoyed that design very much in my E60 M5 (LCI version was much better and more similar to the E92). What I didn't like was the carbon leather dash. The real CF on the F8X is very nice and matches the sportive theme of the vehicle. The F8X seats are also better IMO, despite losing the thigh extensions (great for long trips). Even the HK system in the E9X was better than the iteration in the F8X. Not sure why the newer system wasn't as punchy or smooth. Strange there...
The seats and seating position are better, yes. I'm not sure if I actually sit any lower in the F80 than E90 with manual seats, but it does feel like it probably due to the dash and higher door line maybe?

I have retrofitted the rare Aluminum Blade trim in the F80. The base door cards, sun visors and some of the plastics down there really are cheaper. Also funny how they got rid of the split armrest and the open/close button for it. It's little things like that. Old news, though.

Can't comment on H/K, didn't have it in either cars. E9x also had that Individual Audio option on six- and eight-cylinder cars.

I miss the old E91. Totally would get another wagon - this time round a 330i - or import a 335is Coupe from North America. Whenever I see an M Sport E9x, I go, "well, this looks like a proper BMW from miles away." Doesn't even have to be an M3, really.

Yesterday, 07:09 PM   #2322
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
the quintessential classic BMW interior that I miss
My last one (bonus points to anyone who accurately counts the # of ///Ms)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 1
minn198078.00

Yesterday, 07:37 PM   #2323
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I see 5. Is that your individual interior? If so, that's actually pretty tastefully done, even the ///M under the stereo is a nice touch IMO. E-brake handle maybe a bit too much, but everything else is pretty spot on classy.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott11544.50

Yesterday, 07:57 PM   #2324
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

BTW, check out this comment on the G8X forum:

Something about the entire front end of this thing is just a huge turn off. It's not the grille alone. I've loved the evolution of the M3 up through the F80. I guess sooner or later, there was bound to be a wrong turn. Honestly, at this point I'd take the G80 if it looked like the M340i from the A pillar forward. Not that I think the M340i is exciting. It's just that conservative beats repulsive.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=671

This guy appears to be a newer forum member. Its just not us lol
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:20 PM   #2325
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Some cars had that awful USB port under the radio and so the Individual M badge was not centred... eye sore.

What'd you drive now then?
      Yesterday, 09:07 PM   #2326
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Some cars had that awful USB port under the radio and so the Individual M badge was not centred... eye sore.

What'd you drive now then?
Nothing! just renting - insanely low rates ... Did have an X5 45e ordered but canceled it ... thinking of a Macan Turbo but waiting to see if anything cool happens in the next few weeks.

Heck, I could even be talked into a Tesla if the range and design were there with the new Model S, but ... that's not looking likely:

If it were more like this, I'd be in:

Quote:
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:29 PM   #2327
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Nothing! just renting - insanely low rates ... Did have an X5 45e ordered but canceled it ... thinking of a Macan Turbo but waiting to see if anything cool happens in the next few weeks.

Heck, I could even be talked into a Tesla if the range and design were there with the new Model S, but ... that's not looking likely:
The fuck is Tesla doing... steering... non-wheels? What is this, a Formula 1 Model S? LMP1s and F1s don't need to go lock to lock in a city like virtually any other production car.

Yesterday, 09:34 PM   #2328
secretanchitman
Hero of Time
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 M4 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Whoa you have Individual Opal White as well? You definitely got additional customization that I never knew about!
2020 BMW M4 Coupe (#1 of 1 in the world!) | San Marino Blue | Opal White Full | Piano Black | 6MT | 19 Silver Wheels | Executive | Active Blind Spot Detection | Heated Steering Wheel | Moonroof | Power Rear Sunshade | Wireless Charging
Accessories: XPEL Ultimate Plus Full PPF | XPEL Prime XR Plus Tint | Modesta BC-08 Ceramic Coating | Pickyeater334 Clutch Stop | Performance Pedal Covers | Euro Amber Taillights
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:22 PM   #2329
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
I see 5. Is that your individual interior?

E-brake handle maybe a bit too much, but everything else is pretty spot on classy.
Dealing with Individual, at least in 2017, wasn't the smoothest possible thing and some of the things I ordered didn't get done and some other things were done (incl that e-brake). This was explained to me during ED - nicely, but very German-like - as of course Individual did it this way because my way was wrong. I mean ok, at that point - and at that time - I wasn't in the mood to bitch so just bounced along with life. Looking back at it now, I sure am glad I did because that was a super fun trip that seems completely like a different era these days ... and YUP! 5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretanchitman View Post
Whoa you have Individual Opal White as well? You definitely got additional customization that I never knew about!
As above, me too!

Quote:
Appreciate 0