European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-27-2021, 05:24 PM   #1
pablowbr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Do Bosch EU6 injectors need to be coded?

Had one of my injectors clog open for the second time and so I replaced all with Bosch EU6 injectors and replaced my plugs caused they were burned. The shop says the car isles smoother but runs rough at lower rpms and they think it needs to be brought to BMW to code the injectors. Is this true? Do the injectors need to be coded? Or will the "roughness" smooth out over time?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 05:41 PM   #2
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Yes, you should have checked the number on the injectors and coded them in (or saw the same #). Luckily I don't think that's your issue. If it is you need to pull the injectors back out to see the flow number. Since your car runs smoother let's check the easier things first...

Could be that your one plug is fouled (dried fuel coating). Could also be a fouled O2 sensor.

First check, logs:
Are bank 1 and 2 lambda same at idle? Same at driveway rev to 2K? If different then the O2 sensor may be fouled. Go for a good drive and cook it clean.

Second check, logs:
If lambdas same look at timing driving a moderate 2K-5K pull. If one plug shows timing off it's fouled, especially if it was the cylinder with stuck injectors.

I learned the hard way to install new plugs when doing any injector work, it's $75 not to risk pulling it all apart again... FCPEuro makes it almost free with their parts swap.
      01-27-2021, 05:53 PM   #3
pablowbr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Yes, you should have checked the number on the injectors and coded them in (or saw the same #). Luckily I don't think that's your issue. If it is you need to pull the injectors back out to see the flow number. Since your car runs smoother let's check the easier things first...

Could be that your one plug is fouled (dried fuel coating). Could also be a fouled O2 sensor.

First check, logs:
Are bank 1 and 2 lambda same at idle? Same at driveway rev to 2K? If different then the O2 sensor may be fouled. Go for a good drive and cook it clean.

Second check, logs:
If lambdas same look at timing driving a moderate 2K-5K pull. If one plug shows timing off it's fouled, especially if it was the cylinder with stuck injectors.

I learned the hard way to install new plugs when doing any injector work, it's $75 not to risk pulling it all apart again... FCPEuro makes it almost free with their parts swap.
Hey man thanks for the info. I actually just messaged you regarding the issue haha.
I forgot to mention that I did also replace all plugs. Is the only culprit my O2 sensor then? the car was running a little weird prior to the injector failure (twitchy throttle, weird rpm behavior...). So the car also has to be brought to BMW to be coded then...
Appreciate 1
jwt679.00
      01-27-2021, 06:21 PM   #4
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablowbr View Post
Quote:

First check, logs:

Second check, logs:

Hey man thanks for the info. I actually just messaged you regarding the issue haha.
I forgot to mention that I did also replace all plugs. Is the only culprit my O2 sensor then? the car was running a little weird prior to the injector failure (twitchy throttle, weird rpm behavior...). So the car also has to be brought to BMW to be coded then...
Just go for a good drive to see if it clears up. That worked for me.

You can also re-flash your tune and reset adaptations to make sure the computer isn't trying to compensate. If the drive doesn't clear things up try this and then drive again.
      01-27-2021, 06:56 PM   #5
pablowbr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

First check, logs:

Second check, logs:

Just go for a good drive to see if it clears up. That worked for me.

You can also re-flash your tune and reset adaptations to make sure the computer isn't trying to compensate. If the drive doesn't clear things up try this and then drive again.
That has to be done after the injectors are coded right? I have to first bring the car to BMW to code them and then I drive it?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 07:43 PM   #6
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

EU6 Injectors do not need to be coded...but they do need the small mixture adaptations reset as per BMW TIS document "13 53 719 Removing and installing_replacing all injectors (S55)"
Matt21433.50
      01-27-2021, 07:59 PM   #7
pablowbr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
EU6 Injectors do not need to be coded...but they do need the small mixture adaptations reset as per BMW TIS document "13 53 719 Removing and installing_replacing all injectors (S55)"
Man I've been researching this and everyone is saying different things... so you're saying all I need to do is reset adaptations?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 08:23 PM   #8
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

I was told that as long as you check that every little number matches on the old and new injector you're okay...especially the 3 digit number closest to the plug (supposedly a flow number). I don't know this for sure. I swapped 1 Bosch injector and it was an exact match for OEM on all digits, just no BMW propeller logo.
      01-27-2021, 11:48 PM   #9
m4AY
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 x5m, 2005 x5 4.8is

When you replace an injector there is a 3 digit index number on it. This value is entered into the dme via ista, and the old number is erased. If you replaced all 6, then you enter in each 3 digit number for each injector. Dme saves it. Then you reset all adaptations. Then you shut the car off, lock the car and wait for the little 4 way triangle 🔺️ light to shut off, car is asleep. Now start it and idle it, drive it. This is what we do at a bmw dealership when replacing any injectors
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 03:01 AM   #10
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4AY View Post
When you replace an injector there is a 3 digit index number on it. This value is entered into the dme via ista, and the old number is erased. If you replaced all 6, then you enter in each 3 digit number for each injector. Dme saves it. Then you reset all adaptations. Then you shut the car off, lock the car and wait for the little 4 way triangle 🔺️ light to shut off, car is asleep. Now start it and idle it, drive it. This is what we do at a bmw dealership when replacing any injectors
Well you're doing an extra, unnecessary step then for the S55.

As per the technical training manual: "For injectors and a DME which supports the CVO function, the injection quantity compensation during the replacement of one of the components is deleted."

As mentioned before, EU6 injectors do not need to be coded. ISTA small mixture adaptation reset is required.
      01-28-2021, 09:07 AM   #11
m4AY
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 x5m, 2005 x5 4.8is

Quote:
Well you're doing an extra, unnecessary step then for the S55.

As per the technical training manual: "For injectors and a DME which supports the CVO function, the injection quantity compensation during the replacement of one of the components is deleted."

As mentioned before, EU6 injectors do not need to be coded. ISTA small mixture adaptation reset is required.
%100 correct, eu5 has to be indexed, the eu6 which is our s55 Do Not!
Just reset adaptations
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2021, 07:15 PM   #12
AlpineF80
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Resetting the adaptations is a must per BMW instruction.
      01-28-2021, 09:47 PM   #13
pablowbr
Enlisted Member
Rep

So the shop had the injectors coded and reset adaptations and apparently that made the roughness at low rpms go away... so still unsure if they need to be coded or not lol
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 02:09 AM   #14
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

I swapped my injectors and didn't reset immediately after but, I didn't drive it much and got the adaptations reset.

ecutek - bend calibration pro tune - flex fuel - mpe - stock turbos - oem+
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 11:07 AM   #15
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep

Quote:
So the shop had the injectors coded and reset adaptations and apparently that made the roughness at low rpms go away... so still unsure if they need to be coded or not lol
They do not need to be coded.
      01-29-2021, 04:52 PM   #16
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
so still unsure if they need to be coded or not lol
Commander knows. If he says you're good...you're good.
      01-30-2021, 09:04 AM   #17
pablowbr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Would the idle just have returned to normal after driving it for a while then? Is that the normal procedure after installing injectors?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 09:44 AM   #18
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Would the idle just have returned to normal after driving it for a while then? Is that the normal procedure after installing injectors?
You do need to have the small mixture adaptation reset performed.
      01-30-2021, 09:31 PM   #19
ckendri
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - F82

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You do need to have the small mixture adaptation reset performed.
Is this the same as resetting adaptations through BM3? Thanks.
      01-30-2021, 09:41 PM   #20
landonvan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
What does changing to these injectors accomplish. These are the M5 injectors correct.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 03:04 AM   #21
HyeM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonvan View Post
What does changing to these injectors accomplish. These are the M5 injectors correct.
M5 injectors are the EU5 ones. EU6 injectors are the stock ones for the S55. Bosch is the company that makes the stock injectors so OP bought the original injectors just without the BMW logo stamped on them so it saved him a good amount of money
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2021, 08:47 AM   #22
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonvan View Post
OP just replaced a BMW injector with Bosch, same EU level.

Commander advised on resetting adaptations (BM3), and also the small mixture adaptation (ISTA). He said these injectors do not need to be "coded in".