GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

02-21-2016, 12:31 PM   #23
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachbar View Post
I love the fake sound. Sometimes (Neighborhood at night) I drive in Sport Mode, ASD on and Flaps closed by JB4. I know you think I'm nuts - but I actually like it. Nice sound inside, not mixed with exhaust sound and I have my fun
Not at all. It's a personal preference.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2016, 05:31 PM   #24
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
Not at all. It's a personal preference.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!! So I watched the video last night and followed your shortcut instructions. On the M3 I was able to pull back the trunk liner far enough that I could reach the plug/clip with my hand. Man that is one big plug-in module!!

Anyways, what an impressive difference. I couldn't put my finger on what it was that was annoying me in "cruise to work mode" and didn't realize the piped in sound was so significant till I unplugged it. IMO my drive is more sophisticated and subdued now...in cruise mode. When I want to hear my MPE, I'll use my foot. Best of both worlds, thanks again!!
      02-21-2016, 06:50 PM   #25
E92 M Sport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82

Coded it off today and it's awesome without it.
      02-21-2016, 07:26 PM   #26
IM2C
Major General
Rep
Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92 M Sport View Post
Can confirm. It's much better without it. BMW, if you're listening, add this to drive settable options. Thank you.
      02-22-2016, 09:25 AM   #27
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Nice job! Yeah for me this is a required mod - we've debated the pros and cons enough but for those of us who see Active Sound as omg-wait-what? it's night and day ... especially since I"m almost always in sport plus at 4-5k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeite22 View Post
I just took off after taking your advice. didn't bother taping it, as I might consider putting back on in near future.

not sure if I like it without it or not. drove around a bit and feeling bit uncomfortable without that loud sounds lol ~

I'll drive around few more days and I'll know for sure if I like it or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib View Post
Glad you're happy with the change. I coded it out and haven't looked back. I agree about the wrrrr sound, unnecessary for me.

I do wish the engine was a little more vocal, but ASD doesn't fill the void.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F83 View Post
I need to do this. I don't like the artificial sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1973 View Post
I've had mine coded out for a long time, to be honest I couldnt really tell a difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanm4 View Post
Did you just ask a BMW dealership to do it?

I wanna try it too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YolkyPalky View Post
I'm still surprised that BMW didn't allow users to easily toggle Active Sound on/off through the settings menu.

Seems silly BMW wants to charge you more for "enhanced iPhone integration" or whatever the correct term is, but then won't let you quiet the cabin when you need to make phone calls while on the road.

Good post OP, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLTSRY1905 View Post
Just curious , doesn't putting it to Efficient also do the same thing? Or is it still just as loud?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mephiska View Post
No, you still get the fake engine sound. Sound-wise, putting it in Efficient just keeps the exhaust valves closed more to keep things quiet, the ASD is still active and does it's thing through your speakers.

If you unplug the ASD then it's quieter in all three modes, and more natural sounding (because it is).
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1n Mast3r View Post
I'm still trying to decide if I'm getting this codded off in my appointment. I still can't decide but more than likely I will since my car has exhaust and it's loud enough as it is without ASD on lol. But we will see. Having an internal debate with myself on the issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd View Post
There might be some active sound in comfort mode, but it might be less than on sport and sport+.

For example, cruising on the highway at 60-70 with very light throttle, I can hear the difference in sound volume when switching between comfort and sport. In those conditions the flaps should be closed in both modes, so I'm guessing there is less active sound generated in comfort.

I hate that additional artificial "noise".

Need to get myself a BMS module to easily switch active sound on/off, and open/close the exhaust valves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosn View Post
Is there any different in the quality of music audio from having ASD off or on?

And is there a difference in ASD from coding it off to physically removing the plug?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Thanks for showing this. I always thought the Active Sound very artificial and your video clearly showed that and I much prefer the real natural sound.

I think if BMW had a switch to allows owners to turn the fake sound off, most of us would do it. Frankly, for me, turning off this fake sound is a must do.
Quote:
I love the fake sound. Sometimes (Neighborhood at night) I drive in Sport Mode, ASD on and Flaps closed by JB4. I know you think I'm nuts - but I actually like it. Nice sound inside, not mixed with exhaust sound and I have my fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
I agree with you. I am one of those weird people that like ASD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's M View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you!! So I watched the video last night and followed your shortcut instructions. On the M3 I was able to pull back the trunk liner far enough that I could reach the plug/clip with my hand. Man that is one big plug-in module!!

Anyways, what an impressive difference. I couldn't put my finger on what it was that was annoying me in "cruise to work mode" and didn't realize the piped in sound was so significant till I unplugged it. IMO my drive is more sophisticated and subdued now...in cruise mode. When I want to hear my MPE, I'll use my foot. Best of both worlds, thanks again!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92 M Sport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by f80 View Post
Can confirm. It's much better without it. BMW, if you're listening, add this to drive settable options. Thank you.

Guys Video Added here.............

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...7#post19436687

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 09:50 AM   #28
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosn View Post
Is there any different in the quality of music audio from having ASD off or on?

And is there a difference in ASD from coding it off to physically removing the plug?
Completely subjective, but I say yes the audio sound quality is better. This makes logical sense too since the speakers are only playing 1 audio source at a time and therefore have less across the board load while trying to simultaneously playback two sources through the same cones.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 08:38 PM   #29
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
No sarcasm, but think of how great it will be when the motor is all electric! We'll all have to go back to the E9x to a "M-car unplugged" moment
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 11:04 PM   #30
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott
Quote:
No sarcasm, but think of how great it will be when the motor is all electric! We'll all have to go back to the E9x to a "M-car unplugged" moment
A friend (BMW Sales) drove some new Hybrid BMWs (cant remember the Model(s)). He was really surprised. 20 miles electric (E-Motor in tranny), quiet, allmost no sound. He told me, he didn't feel when the engine kicked in to support the E-Motor. No vibration at all. So we're allmost there..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 05:53 AM   #31
IM2C
Major General
Rep
Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive

Coded active sound off. Love it.
      03-07-2016, 10:14 AM   #32
Jeffe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Carrera T 7MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLTSRY1905 View Post
Just curious , doesn't putting it to Efficient also do the same thing? Or is it still just as loud?
yes but who drives that way? I'm basically sport+, S2 or S3 always
I drive in efficient throttle a decent amount. It's different with a manual trans. I personally find sport plus to be obnoxiously sensitive.

Previous:
2018 Mini Cooper S (F56) (grey/black)6MT
2015 NC Miata club PRHT 6MT
2007 911 Carrera 2 (black/tan) 6MT
2017 Grand Sport (blue/white/red) 7MT
2015 BMW M4 (BSM/SS) 6MT
2011 C63 AMG (black/black) 7A
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 10:19 AM   #33
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffe View Post
I drive in efficient throttle a decent amount. It's different with a manual trans. I personally find sport plus to be obnoxiously sensitive.
I use Sport for daily driving and very occasionally Sport+ when i really want to go quick effortlessly Agreed that it is not fun driving in regular stop and go traffic with Sport Plus on a Manual.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 10:23 AM   #34
Jeffe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918
Quote:
I use Sport for daily driving and very occasionally Sport+ when i really want to go quick effortlessly Agreed that it is not fun driving in regular stop and go traffic with Sport Plus on a Manual.
Totally agree, stop and go traffic is tough in any throttle setting, but much easier in efficient.

I plan on disconnecting ASD this weekend. If you're around at C&C this weekend I'll let you know my experience (I'm assuming it's better, so I plan on making this change permanent)!

Previous:
2015 BMW M4 (BSM/SS) 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 12:41 PM   #35
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Totally agree, stop and go traffic is tough in any throttle setting, but much easier in efficient.

I plan on disconnecting ASD this weekend. If you're around at C&C this weekend I'll let you know my experience (I'm assuming it's better, so I plan on making this change permanent)!
If you want to hear it in my car first, I can take you for a spin.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 12:56 PM   #36
Jeffe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm going to take you up on that! I've never been in an f8x without the ASD so this will be a good start to determine if I make the jump.

Previous:
2015 BMW M4 (BSM/SS) 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 12:58 PM   #37
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
I almost believe that the ASD BMW and other manufacturers are implementing is for just that...experiment and get us used to the sound...sort of a stepping stone to the time when cars will be practically silent...help us transition over to it and for them to perfect it if needed in the future.

Think about "no smoking" here in USA. There was a time when people smoked indoors everywhere...then the cultural transition was having no smoking signs EVERYWHERE....now you can smoke practically nowhere but you also hardly ever see no smoking signs around as much...just an example...and I only smoke the occasional tire
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 01:06 PM   #38
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'm going to take you up on that! I've never been in an f8x without the ASD so this will be a good start to determine if I make the jump.
I have to warn you though that I have the MPE so it will sound ridiculously good

Appreciate 1
      04-06-2016, 08:18 AM   #39
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by YolkyPalky View Post
I'm still surprised that BMW didn't allow users to easily toggle Active Sound on/off through the settings menu.

Seems silly BMW wants to charge you more for "enhanced iPhone integration" or whatever the correct term is, but then won't let you quiet the cabin when you need to make phone calls while on the road.

Good post OP, thanks!
I think it would be more "gimmicky" if there was a switch to turn it on/off. I would assume most people who don't read the forums have no idea that it's ASD is a thing. I thought I liked it but tried turning it off for the first time today and actually appreciated a more quiet cabin.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 07:17 PM   #40
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: '18 M3 ZCP - 6MT

So for those that aren't aware, Macht Schnell EVC module allows you to control flaps and ASD. I now have mine set to have ASD off when flaps are open and on when closed. I have MPE and like that I can still get some exhaust groul in the cabin even in efficient mode. Best of both worlds at my finger tips.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2016, 09:08 PM   #41
Mikster
Maverick
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.

I did this today and--I swear it's not psychosomatic. You really do hear a difference, and even if you're not at WOT. It's that much better--quieter, more refined in "efficient" mode. Yet, you can still hear and feel the rumble when in SPORT mode. Now, it simply comes from underneath and behind you, as it should.

The OP commented that he could do the fix in four minutes, though I don't know about that. I had to remove the clips enough so I could reach my hand into the panel. Other than that, the OP's guide is spot on.

Worth the trouble, IMHO.

M
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2016, 09:47 PM   #42
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikster View Post
Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.

I did this today and--I swear it's not psychosomatic. You really do hear a difference, and even if you're not at WOT. It's that much better--quieter, more refined in "efficient" mode. Yet, you can still hear and feel the rumble when in SPORT mode. Now, it simply comes from underneath and behind you, as it should.

The OP commented that he could do the fix in four minutes, though I don't know about that. I had to remove the clips enough so I could reach my hand into the panel. Other than that, the OP's guide is spot on.

Worth the trouble, IMHO.

M

Haha. 4 because I used really long needle nose pliers. Basically popped of the plastic tabs holding the rear trim, pulled on the trim to barely expose the plug and slid in the plier. Done. That said,it took more 20 mins to plug it back in recently. I did that because I was able to get the ASD coded out.

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 11:27 AM   #43
Rotherd31
User Name
Rep
Drives: 2023 G83 BG/FR/ 963M wheels

I joined an apparent long list of others that have unplugged their ASD this morning. A tidbit. I also did the shortcut that the OP mentioned, but instead of using a long pair of needle nose pliers that I don't have, I used a long flat bladed screw driver. One item though that I found. When pushing back the black lever after pushing in the little gray tab, rotate it until it stops, then the plug will almost fall out by itself. Then just take the same screw driver and help the plug the rest of the way out. I tried pulling it out and was having trouble until I found that the black lever was not rotated all the way to it's stop position. When I did that, the plug starting falling out of its socket by itself.

Thanks much OP! Best mod I've done to date! As others have said, much quieter around town and on the freeway. I would describe as others have, more natural, more sophisticated, but yet you have no doubt that it is a performance car. Perfect for me, but then, different strokes for different folks! Couldn't agree more though with those that have said that the ASD should be available to turn on/off in the settings menu and furthermore, have it as programmable in the M1/M2 buttons.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 12:27 PM   #44
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotherd31 View Post
I joined an apparent long list of others that have unplugged their ASD this morning. A tidbit. I also did the shortcut that the OP mentioned, but instead of using a long pair of needle nose pliers that I don't have, I used a long flat bladed screw driver. One item though that I found. When pushing back the black lever after pushing in the little gray tab, rotate it until it stops, then the plug will almost fall out by itself. Then just take the same screw driver and help the plug the rest of the way out. I tried pulling it out and was having trouble until I found that the black lever was not rotated all the way to it's stop position. When I did that, the plug starting falling out of its socket by itself.

Thanks much OP! Best mod I've done to date! As others have said, much quieter around town and on the freeway. I would describe as others have, more natural, more sophisticated, but yet you have no doubt that it is a performance car. Perfect for me, but then, different strokes for different folks! Couldn't agree more though with those that have said that the ASD should be available to turn on/off in the settings menu and furthermore, have it as programmable in the M1/M2 buttons.
Glad you like it. Since I started this thread I plugged it back in and just got it coded off when I was getting the other coding done.

You are right about the lever. The video I posted shows that step.

Appreciate 0