Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-27-2022, 09:07 PM   #1
FloridaF83
Tempus Fugit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 M4

Leaking Shock

I noticed a small pool of fluid next to my left rear tire recently and today I had the car up on a lift and the source is the damper, for certain. Has anyone had this problem? There are 42K on the car, M4 convertible, competition, EDC...
I'm wondering if I can change just the leaking shock or if I should change both?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 08:13 AM   #2
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaF83 View Post
I noticed a small pool of fluid next to my left rear tire recently and today I had the car up on a lift and the source is the damper, for certain. Has anyone had this problem? There are 42K on the car, M4 convertible, competition, EDC...
I'm wondering if I can change just the leaking shock or if I should change both?

I don't think common, but known to happen here and there. The most correct answer would be to replace the dampers as a pair, since there could be some asymmetric behavior between the new one and the old one that's lived through 42K miles. If that happens, will that be an issue for you? Probably depends in part on how you drive the car and how much you rely on traction control. If for example you track the car sometimes and keep nannies off, I would definitely replace as a pair.
Appreciate 2
NYG10571.50
      11-01-2022, 04:01 PM   #3
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaF83 View Post

If it were me, I would replace all 4 to ensure all of my struts and shocks are all the same condition. But that's just me. Recommendation is to replace in pairs.

This could also be an opportunity to swap to coilovers if you like.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 07:29 PM   #4
FloridaF83
Tempus Fugit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 M4

I thought about doing all 4 but I'm just going to do both the rears at this time. Maybe I'll do the fronts after the holidays.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Appreciate 1