European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-18-2021, 06:56 PM   #1
wetroads
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp

S55 Knock Detection.

Hi Guys,

I'm starting to put my own tune together and am trying to get my head around a few things with the S55.

Hoping someone can help.

I picked up a knock event on a 3rd gear squirt in the CS map, looking at the log the Knock Sensor Voltages are around 1.3V, way lower than the knock threshold in the actual tune.

The only thing Ive found that might explain it is some kind of safety action as it happens right where the voltage difference is greatest between the two knock sensors. (however there are other areas where the difference is greater and no knock detection is triggered)

It is only 8 records after a gear change so I guess it's possible that caused it however the sensor voltage doesn't really spike or get close to the threshold in the tuning table.

Or are there some kind of other correction/mulitplication factors I haven't found yet?

Any help wil be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 10:51 PM   #2
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

There is knock and super-knock on these cars, both have different thresh holds and corrections.

I have helped friends tune cars in the past, but on these i just let the pros do it.
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 0