European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-23-2020, 07:24 PM   #1
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Engine Sport vs Sport Plus mode

New M4 owner here...

Is there any detailed info on the differences between Sport and Sport Plus engine modes? I've googled and come up with several threads.

Best I've found is a supposed technical explanation from the FAQ in the engine deep dive. But all this tells me is the difference is waste-gate behaviour between efficient mode and the other two.

Quote:
So what are the differences between the EFFICIENT, SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes?

In the SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes, the waste gates remain closed under partial load and the mass flow is routed through the turbines, to ensure that the turbo chargers are already rotating at a higher base speed even in standby. Moreover, certain special engine control functions are brought into play that accelerate activation of the turbo chargers. This means that the car responds more closely to the accelerator in SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes.

Another important point is that we normally have to take the drive train into consideration when it comes to building up torque. As a rule, the engine is able to build up torque at a speed that is much faster than that with which the drive train can cope. You can imagine that the drive train then begins to behave like a torsion spring, which is first stretched out and then vibrates, resulting in juddering. To prevent such judders, it is necessary to dampen the engine's build up of momentum to allow a harmonic progression of its response characteristics.

The rigid drive train of the new BMW M3 and BMW M4 is, however, optimised for a fast build-up of momentum, similar to a racing car, with a carbon fibre drive shaft, rear axle rigidly bolted to the body, suitably dimensioned drive shafts, etc. This means that the rigid drive train is also an important factor of the spontaneous entrance of the new BMW M3 and BMW M4. In EFFICIENT mode, everything is more levelled out, with a high orientation towards comfort. In stark contrast is the SPORT PLUS mode, which pays absolutely no attention to any comfort factors. In SPORT PLUS, all filter functions are deactivated and the engine responds directly to movements of the accelerator pedal – but this also requires someone behind the wheel who really knows what he is doing. In SPORT PLUS, everything is transmitted as sharply as a knife, in terms of what the engineering can do to facilitate fast lap times – whether in the engine, transmission, chassis or control systems.
A lot of words to say very little
I still don't know the difference between Sport and Sport Plus after reading all that fluff.

" In SPORT PLUS, all filter functions are deactivated and the engine responds directly to movements of the accelerator pedal"
What's filtered in Sport then? BMW is so vague with this!

From what I've pieced together from other tidbits /I've found:
* Sport Plus reduces the operating temp of the engine by increasing the cooling - supposedly this is better for track.
* If you're in MDM or DSC off, it reverts to Sport Throttle mapping (do other Sport+ changes stay though?)
* There is a throttle mapping table that really shows they made the throttle less linear in Sport +. interesting it goes up to 106% in Sport+ but 100% in Sport. Does that mean there's a power difference? And you'd lose that power difference again by using MDM or disabling DSC?)
* I've read there are more exhaust burbles in Sport+?

The sales guy was telling me it's changing engine power and you get 100 more hp in sport than efficient mode, and even more in Sport+... I think he had no idea

Is there a good breakdown anywhere? Maybe the MHD or Bootmod guys have some good findings here?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 10:35 PM   #2
blockdoc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatth View Post
New M4 owner here...

Is there any detailed info on the differences between Sport and Sport Plus engine modes? I've googled and come up with several threads.

Best I've found is a supposed technical explanation from the FAQ in the engine deep dive. But all this tells me is the difference is waste-gate behaviour between efficient mode and the other two.

Quote:
So what are the differences between the EFFICIENT, SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes?

In the SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes, the waste gates remain closed under partial load and the mass flow is routed through the turbines, to ensure that the turbo chargers are already rotating at a higher base speed even in standby. Moreover, certain special engine control functions are brought into play that accelerate activation of the turbo chargers. This means that the car responds more closely to the accelerator in SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes.

Another important point is that we normally have to take the drive train into consideration when it comes to building up torque. As a rule, the engine is able to build up torque at a speed that is much faster than that with which the drive train can cope. You can imagine that the drive train then begins to behave like a torsion spring, which is first stretched out and then vibrates, resulting in juddering. To prevent such judders, it is necessary to dampen the engine's build up of momentum to allow a harmonic progression of its response characteristics.

The rigid drive train of the new BMW M3 and BMW M4 is, however, optimised for a fast build-up of momentum, similar to a racing car, with a carbon fibre drive shaft, rear axle rigidly bolted to the body, suitably dimensioned drive shafts, etc. This means that the rigid drive train is also an important factor of the spontaneous entrance of the new BMW M3 and BMW M4. In EFFICIENT mode, everything is more levelled out, with a high orientation towards comfort. In stark contrast is the SPORT PLUS mode, which pays absolutely no attention to any comfort factors. In SPORT PLUS, all filter functions are deactivated and the engine responds directly to movements of the accelerator pedal – but this also requires someone behind the wheel who really knows what he is doing. In SPORT PLUS, everything is transmitted as sharply as a knife, in terms of what the engineering can do to facilitate fast lap times – whether in the engine, transmission, chassis or control systems.
A lot of words to say very little
I still don't know the difference between Sport and Sport Plus after reading all that fluff.

" In SPORT PLUS, all filter functions are deactivated and the engine responds directly to movements of the accelerator pedal"
What's filtered in Sport then? BMW is so vague with this!

From what I've pieced together from other tidbits /I've found:
* Sport Plus reduces the operating temp of the engine by increasing the cooling - supposedly this is better for track.
* If you're in MDM or DSC off, it reverts to Sport Throttle mapping (do other Sport+ changes stay though?)
* There is a throttle mapping table that really shows they made the throttle less linear in Sport +. interesting it goes up to 106% in Sport+ but 100% in Sport. Does that mean there's a power difference? And you'd lose that power difference again by using MDM or disabling DSC?)
* I've read there are more exhaust burbles in Sport+?

The sales guy was telling me it's changing engine power and you get 100 more hp in sport than efficient mode, and even more in Sport+... I think he had no idea

Is there a good breakdown anywhere? Maybe the MHD or Bootmod guys have some good findings here?
The sales guy is wrong lol. Maximum output is the same in any mode...full throttle is full throttle. I think you are overthinking this.

The biggest difference is the throttle mapping and "tip in". The pedal is more responsive to smaller movements. IIRC.

Two other differences I believe

1. The turbos maintain some slightly increased pressure to allow for faster spool (this is the wastegate younrefer to)

2. I believe the cooling system runs at a higher baseline to promote cooling.

It's all a matter of personal preferences (throw in tuning changes and it's a huge variation). I like Splort plus fir DD use, but many prefer Sport as they have more control over throttle modulation. These cars have some issue putting power to the ground because of the torque, some find that Sportl Plus makes this more difficult.

Try them out and use whatever you prefer.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2020, 11:10 PM   #3
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

No clue about throttle mapping but there is no auto rev match in sport+ on the MTs but there is auto rev match in sport.

I'm going to admit I love the auto rev match feature. took a few to get used to it at first.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2020, 01:58 AM   #4
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockdoc View Post
I think you are overthinking this.
I'm just pedantic like that

Just want to know exactly what my new toy is doing.
The extra responsiveness in Sport+ seems to just be a trick from increasing the pedal sensitivity, rather than the removal of any 'filtering' that they try to imply.

I was just wondering if there is any real change to engine behaviour here. Seems there isn't (except cooling).

You'd think they'd be more explicit about the increase in engine cooling, the manual doesn't seem to mention it but it would be good information especially for anyone taking the car to the track.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 08:24 AM   #5
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Sport+ does give you the anti-lag feature with the extra cooling. I'm fairly certain that's it for engine differences.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 07:14 PM   #6
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Is Sport+ what gives you that weird jerky take-off in 1st/2nd gear sometimes? What is it doing that causes this? Maybe holding the gear for too long?

I tried driving around town a little in Sport+ and would sometimes get this jerky acceleration from low speed if I tried to accelerate normally. I thought it was traction control kicking in but it happened to me with MDM mode too, and no noticeable traction loss...

Never happens in Sport, everything is perfectly smooth. Sport+ is also smooth at speed and when accelerating hard, but is also not noticeably different to Sport in this situation.

I guess Sport+ makes no sense for anything short of track driving?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 07:46 PM   #7
Iceman1183
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP 6MT

The majority of the effect seems to be throttle sensitivity.

Fun experiment: drive down the road in Efficient with constant throttle, then switch to sport or sport plus. The car will boost forward. OMG WE’VE KNOCKED MORE POWER.

No. The map just opened the throttle more for the same amount of distance you put your right foot down.

Full throttle is full power in all modes. The only difference between the 3 is how far you have to push the accelerator down to reach 100% throttle.

Ironically many of the instructors at the M school in Greenville prefer to track in efficient - allows more fine throttle manipulation.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 07:53 PM   #8
blockdoc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Engine Sport vs Sport Plus mode

Quote:
Is Sport+ what gives you that weird jerky take-off in 1st/2nd gear sometimes? What is it doing that causes this? Maybe holding the gear for too long?

I tried driving around town a little in Sport+ and would sometimes get this jerky acceleration from low speed if I tried to accelerate normally. I thought it was traction control kicking in but it happened to me with MDM mode too, and no noticeable traction loss...

T

Never happens in Sport, everything is perfectly smooth. Sport+ is also smooth at speed and when accelerating hard, but is also not noticeably different to Sport in this situation.

I guess Sport+ makes no sense for anything short of track driving?

hat's your foot!! Try keeping your heel on the floor and practice throttle modulation. In Sport plus the throttle tip in is exaggerated. So your foot moving against the car surge causes an oscillation. Occasionally when this happens you can either let off completely or even rapidly up shift to a higher gear.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 09:04 PM   #9
Djdnav
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Sport+ does give you the anti-lag feature with the extra cooling. I'm fairly certain that's it for engine differences.
It reduces lag via a change in WGDC but this isn’t even close to “anti lag”.
      05-30-2020, 09:06 PM   #10
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

This brings up something I've been keeping an eye out for but haven't seen yet: Does any tuner have the linear throttle response option like MHD has for the N54? I want the extra cooling and the tuning for faster turbo response but I hate how binary the throttle pedal gets. Having the same pedal response in every mode while still getting the other changes would be perfect.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 09:58 PM   #11
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockdoc View Post
hat's your foot!! Try keeping your heel on the floor and practice throttle modulation. In Sport plus the throttle tip in is exaggerated. So your foot moving against the car surge causes an oscillation. Occasionally when this happens you can either let off completely or even rapidly up shift to a higher gear.
I thought I was being smooth with my foot... I dunno, I guess they've overdone the sensitivity to make it feel more "sports car" and impress the journalists, but it seems to just make driveability worse.
I hate these tricks that BMW does with throttle response. A super sensitive throttle is not more "sporty". The best pedal response is the one that suits the driver best, and generally you'll want to stick one setting all the time otherwise the pedal response does not line up with what you are used to. It annoys me that other engine behaviours are tied to this setting.

Oh well, now that I know Sport+ is just a gimmick I'll happily stick to sport and enjoy the car. But then if I take it to track, is the car not going to perform as well in Sport after a few sessions, because it will not be engaging the extra cooling from Sport+ mode?

Edit: Did a little searching around, and from other peoples' experience the car will automatically engage the extra cooling of Sport+ mode in both Sport and Efficient mode, if you are driving hard:
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1271461

So it seems like there isn't any reason to miss Sport+ mode if you don't like the super sharp pedal response

Last edited by maddmatth; 05-30-2020 at 10:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
Tangent297.50
      05-30-2020, 10:14 PM   #12
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djdnav View Post
Quote:
It reduces lag via a change in WGDC but this isn’t even close to “anti lag”.
I know what technical anti-lag is.

That doesn't change the fact that Sport + gives you an anti-lag "feature". If you have an issue with that, take it up with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 10:44 AM   #13
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
I know what technical anti-lag is.

That doesn't change the fact that Sport + gives you an anti-lag "feature". If you have an issue with that, take it up with BMW.
Based on my experiences, even less lag is experienced when you have the dct set in manual mode vs auto under hard acceleration. In auto mode it seems to have more of that moment of hesitation before turbo spool up exaggeration under WOT.

Last edited by shortseller; 06-01-2020 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 01:03 PM   #14
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Based on my experiences, even less lag is experienced when you have the dct set in manual mode vs auto under hard acceleration. In auto mode it seems to have more of that moment of hesitation before turbo spool up exaggeration under WOT.
Yeah, I bet with DCT, the lag feels almost nonexistent.

Unfortunately I can't shift that fast with my 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 02:48 PM   #15
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Mostly what I have noticed between the two Sport and Sport+ mode (on a DCT), is that in Sport+ the pedal is much more sensitive so you really do have to roll on the throttle and cooling is running on overtime. Oil temps are lower in Sport+. There is pretty much no lag as the turbos are always spooled up in Sport+. Exhaust notes sound pretty much the same to me.

Between Efficient and Sport, oil temps are the same from what I can see. Main differences I can see is the valve opening for the exhaust for the louder noise and a more sensitive pedal. As everyone says, full throttle is full throttle and the power is always there at full throttle.

I prefer to drive in Sport than in Sport+ as the pedal is easier to control and I'm not 100% sure if I want my oil temps that low for street driving.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 05:01 PM   #16
deli333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

dealer lives in 2000 haha. it was e46 mate

for some reason I love efficient mode the most, it gives me more feeling.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 09:35 PM   #17
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
This is not true for the M3/M4 -- only the throttle mapping is changed when applying "SPORT" to the engine (as opposed to, e.g.the suspension). It never has changed the power even though there has been a SPORT mode in one form or another since at least the E46 M3.

However, the E60 M5 cruised around using only 400 ponies normally. To get the full the 500 hp you had to press the SPORT button. What it did besides change the throttle mapping was allow the throttle body butterflies to open 100%, whereas they would only open about 80% in default mode (right after starting).

That's where the extra 100 hp comment came from. The salesman, although not 100% full of it, doesn't know his history. Now, why BMW did this with the E60 is a real mystery. I guess someone felt that mere mortals could not handle more that 400 hp in most cases. Or maybe they wanted it to be like a Q car?

Cheers